PDA

View Full Version : The Road - movie or book opinions?

nismo1013
12-20-09, 14:11
So The Road just released in my neck of the woods on Friday, and I've been itching to see it. I also heard the book is great, so it's on my Christmas list. Anyone read or watched it yet??

BushmasterFanBoy
12-20-09, 14:20
So The Road just released in my neck of the woods on Friday, and I've been itching to see it. I also heard the book is great, so it's on my Christmas list. Anyone read or watched it yet??

The book is excellent. Read it two times, and will probably read it many more times.

I haven't seen the movie, but I'm pretty ticked that they kept it at such a limited release. :mad:

nismo1013
12-20-09, 14:22
I haven't seen the movie, but I'm pretty ticked that they kept it at such a limited release. :mad:

Yea, I noticed that too. The movie officially released 25 November, or thereabouts, but just now got to me. What's up with that? :confused:

milosz
12-20-09, 14:27
The book is very good - love makes a remarkably bleak (even by the standards of the apocalypse) story bearable.

The movie is monotonous in a way the book never is - you can feel forward movement in the novel, but not here. And while I can't really fault it for missing the way the father sees his boy as the personification of love and hope (that's primarily stated through internal monologue in the novel), without that the story doesn't work as well.

milosz
12-20-09, 14:28
Yea, I noticed that too. The movie officially released 25 November, or thereabouts, but just now got to me. What's up with that? :confused:

If it's not going to draw in big cities, there's no reason to expand it to the suburbs and places further out of the way. Costs a fortune to print a movie, advertise, etc. - and there's the hope that good buzz in LA/Chicago/NY the first weekend will be free advertising for the movie when it opens in Dallas/Houston/Philly and be well-known when it opens in Podunk.

Jerm
12-20-09, 15:45
The movie is monotonous in a way the book never is

I thought the book was pretty monotonous.I was disappointed after seeing so many positive reviews.It was well written i suppose...Just rather slow.I enjoyed it.Just not as much as i had hoped.

I was hoping the story would be better suited to a 2~ hour movie...One of those rare occasions when the movie is better than the book(Fight Club).

...Still hoping.

Irish
12-20-09, 16:00
I really enjoyed the book. I look forward to seeing the movie but I'll probably wait until it hits Blu Ray before seeing it.

30 cal slut
12-20-09, 16:07
gawd. the book made me want to jump off a bridge or something. it is very painful to read, especially if you are a father with young son(s).

User Name
12-20-09, 16:13
My brother liked the book so much he is refusing to go see the movie with me.

M4arc
12-20-09, 16:17
The book was fantastic and if the movie is 1/4 of what the book is I'm sure it will be good. The Road was the first book that I've read that actually made me feel like weeping while I was reading it. It's depressing, and bleak at times but absolutely awesome.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-20-09, 16:26
Sounds like the feel good family movie of the Holiday Season!!!!!

This is related by author or director to "No Country for Old Men", correct? I really didn't like the NCFOM movie the first time I saw it, but the second time I saw it I thought it moved along fine.

Is it just going to make me want to stock up on mags and ammo and start practicing two-man check drills with my five-year-old son?

chenzzo
12-20-09, 16:27
great book, practically poetry. It's very sparse and incredibly bleak. Personally as a father of two young sons (5 and 2) it inspired the heck out of me. Love is powerful.

steve-oh
12-20-09, 17:41
If you're a father, the book will hit home. It's powerful.

Shotdown
12-20-09, 17:54

There's no doubt about that. I watched the movie and I thought it was good.

ST911
12-20-09, 17:55
Great book. A primer on what a man should expect of himself, and what to model for his child.

Many walk their own "Road". I know some fathers facing adversity with their children that have identified with it in deep and powerful ways.

RogerinTPA
12-20-09, 18:21
I thought it was a good book, but pretty depressing to say the least. The Father was pretty resourceful in finding ways to keep himself and his son alive. I haven't seen the movie yet, but most are saying it stays on par with the book for the most part.

whosyourdaddy
12-20-09, 19:03
I read the book a few months back. I really had a hard time getting into it at first. I actually put the book down for almost a month. The authors' style takes a bit getting used to,,,,,,,,,, at least for my uneducated ass. I did finish the book and i did enjoy it. Just seen the movie on Saturday and if follows the book very well. Very haunting movie. Vigo does a great job as usual. There were very few people in the theater for this particular movie. Don't think it is going to be a mainstream blockbuster. Just an observation but I personally would recommend the book and/or the movie.

El Mac
12-20-09, 19:13

Absolutely. And if you aren't, I don't think it will impact you quite the same....

VooDoo6Actual
12-20-09, 20:18
+1 to book & movie.

Viggo's, Duvall's and Threron's performances were solid & EPIC imo and brought a viseral reality to Mccarthy's literary work.

Cannibalism scenes were edgey & done well imo.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-20-09, 20:42
I have read the book. It is excellent.

I always prefer to watch the movie first. Then I enjoy reading the book and digging out all the nuggets they leave out.

Selftest
12-20-09, 20:52
I think the book is incredible.

A lot of people miss that this is not only about a boy and his father, but about what love can do in the face of unbeatable odds. The boy IS the embodiment of love for the man. That can be understood by anyone.

I did cry during the book. It was heart-breaking. But it also gives us a lot of hope.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-20-09, 20:59
Oh, and for anyone who thought "THE ROAD" is bleak. Read "Blood Meridian," also by Cormac Mcarthy. One review said a movie version of this would make "Saving Private Ryan" look like "Finding Nemo."

Shadow1198
12-20-09, 21:10
Charlize Theron's character sure was a bitch in the movie! If I was Viggo, I would have pimp slapped the hell out of her for acting that way when they have a kid to take care of. ;)

ra2bach
12-20-09, 21:38
Oh, and for anyone who thought "THE ROAD" is bleak. Read "Blood Meridian," also by Cormac Mcarthy. One review said a movie version of this would make "Saving Private Ryan" look like "Finding Nemo."

the first Cormac Mccarthy book I read was The Road. I wanted to slit my wrists but I read it cover to cover in two sittings in less than a day.

I also read not only the Blood Meridian, but the entire border trilogy - All The Pretty Horses (which I think was also made into a movie), The Crossing, and Cities of the Plain.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment...

Iraqgunz
12-20-09, 21:51
Not sure what to think of the movie. One thing for sure is that I would definitely have had more than just a few rounds on hand. ;)

nutnless220
12-20-09, 22:05

Caeser25
12-20-09, 22:13
+1 to book & movie.

Viggo's, Duvall's and Threron's performances were solid & EPIC imo and brought a viseral reality to Mccarthy's literary work.

Cannibalism scenes were edgey & done well imo.

Really puts into perspective the lack of humanity some would have.

Not sure what to think of the movie. One thing for sure is that I would definitely have had more than just a few rounds on hand. ;)

Definitely more than the measely 3 or 4 rounds he had.

El Mac
12-20-09, 23:17
The whole thing was too touchy feely for me.

Touchy feely? Really?

Bubba FAL
12-21-09, 00:21
I read and enjoyed (?, not sure if that's the right word) both The Road and No Country for Old Men.

After being disappointed by the film version of No Country..., I don't think I'll subject myself to the film adaptation of The Road.

Have to say, this is typical for me. I read a lot and am generally disappointed by someone else's interpretation of a work of fiction.

SkiDevil
12-21-09, 01:31
I saw the movie last week. It is only playing in a few theaters, mostly independent ones.

On the whole, I was not expecting a happy go lucky movie but from the title and subject matter I suspected it would be dark.

It was a dark movie but it certainly had its moments as others have already stated. Considering the subject matter and content, I thought the film was very well done and had some excellent acting by the main stars.

I will not comment on the plot so as not to ruin the experience for those who plan to see it later.

I have not read the book, but I may at some point still reading three others at the moment (below). So, I can't compare the two.

I agree that it will not attract a large audience because of the subject matter and the fact that the release has been split-up with only a few theaters screening the movie.

In conclusion, I would recommend the movie. It is a sobering reality of what could happen in a post-apocalyptic catastrophe. It poignantly displays the worst and best of humanity. It also vividly characterizes the lengths of what a parent will do to protect their child.

Only thing I would add is if you have younger children it probably is not the best movie for them to watch.

In all I liked the movie, but don't plan on watching it again. And, yes I will be honest and say that there were a few times were I got a little teary eyed. Or was it something in the air, I can't remember clearly now.:eek:

SkiDevil

P.S.
For the readers out there I could highly recommend the three following books if you have an interest in the military or history in general. I have practically finished the Haney and Ross book already. The Bellavia book is really hard to put down. All are Great Reads.

Books:
"Inside Delta Force" by Eric Haney

"War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's Frontier" by John Ross

"House to House: An Epic Memoir of War" by David Bellavia.

jtb0311
12-21-09, 02:24
I read the book and thought it was fantastic. Have not seen the movie.

Delta One
12-21-09, 12:26
Saw this movie back in November, I loved it. It was really heartfelt, great acting, great set pieces. I know some people don't like it though, they want the sunshine and rainbows of life.

BrianS
12-21-09, 16:34
This is related by author or director to "No Country for Old Men", correct? I really didn't like the NCFOM movie the first time I saw it, but the second time I saw it I thought it moved along fine.

The book is by the same author Cormac McCarthy. I really like his stuff, Blood Meridian being one of my favorites.

****SPOILER ALERT****

Does anyone know what kind of disaster happened to the Earth in The Road? I was thinking maybe a comet impact had thrown enough debris into the upper atmosphere that we had suffered a "nuclear winter" so deep that lack of light equaled no photosynthesis and gradually destroyed the ecosystem over several years. The author never really says what happened, but fires started by falling super heated debris could have caused the fires he described along the highway, the ash, the darkness, the super cold winters, the increased tectonic activity, the almost total lack of plant and animal life (fungi is mentioned a few times IIRC), etc.

BrianS
12-21-09, 16:36

It is coming.

I wonder if it will be politically correct (constant racist comments toned down or even removed) or very true to the book.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983189/

Getting an amazing actor for "the Judge" will be the make it or break it as far as this one IMO. I also hope that unlike No Country they do not remove all the philosophical statements by the protagonist and antagonist that were the entire point of the book.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-21-09, 21:53
Brian,

Yeah, if they delete the philsophical discussions the book is kind of just a bloody cowboys and Indians tale. I am sure they will have to trim it some though.

I saw the movie tonight. It was excellent. Virtually an exact copy of the book with a few extras. Even though I have read the book twice I still nearly cried at the end. NEARLY damn it. :mad:

Leave me alone!!!:o

Outlander Systems
12-21-09, 23:03
****SPOILER ALERT****

Does anyone know what kind of disaster happened to the Earth in The Road? I was thinking maybe a comet impact had thrown enough debris into the upper atmosphere that we had suffered a "nuclear winter" so deep that lack of light equaled no photosynthesis and gradually destroyed the ecosystem over several years. The author never really says what happened, but fires started by falling super heated debris could have caused the fires he described along the highway, the ash, the darkness, the super cold winters, the increased tectonic activity, the almost total lack of plant and animal life (fungi is mentioned a few times IIRC), etc.

I finally saw this tonite.

I'm assuming the supervolcano under Yellowstone finally spewed. It explains the earthquakes, nuclear winter, and die-off perfectly.

If I could sum the movie up in one word: bleak.

Every "survivalist" needs to see this flick. Far from the 15-year-old's wet dream of trucking around the countryside, dusting bad-guys with his favourite belt-fed, and rocking a stylish leather jacket, it's depressing, slow-paced, grey, emaciated, starvation-ridden, absolutely ****ing miserable, hell-on-earth.

I touched on this subject earlier in the day, on another forum, when some assbag commented that he'd wished the apocalypse would hurry up and get here. After seeing the flick, I'm even more steadfast in my statements.

"Let's talk.

Here's the skinny, if Ultimate Doom has done one thing for me, and one thing very well, it has completely obliterated the fact that I had taken so much of industrial, civilised, life for granted. Every bite of popcorn at the theatre is a blessing and a gift. Every cool breeze, powered by an electric fan is magic. Every flick of a lightswitch is a big bang.

I'm on the fence about the "Ultimate Doom". While the implosion of society is intellectually interesting, and theoretically exciting, the reality of it will most likely be a living hell, if it comes.

There's nothing "boring" about flicking lightswitches, and eating refrigerated chow. It's quite ****ing awesome, actually.

I'm not sitting on a case of ammo, counting wire, rope, and duct tape, and eating freeze-dried sodium, with a full-on boner. Looking forward to doom, means you're either an abject loser, or sociopathic at best.

All that being said, I believe true Armageddon is personal. I've seen lives ripped to shreds by the recent Great Recession, and have felt some of it's bitter sting myself. No, the laid-off dude with a child possessing health problems, is NOT exactly "stoked" about his personal apocalypse.

If you're sitting around waiting for "the party" you need to chicketty check yourself, and get some pills."

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-21-09, 23:09
There's nothing "boring" about flicking lightswitches, and eating refrigerated chow. It's quite ****ing awesome, actually.

This is going on my quote list (slightly cleaned up).:D

Outlander Systems
12-21-09, 23:36
Thanks man. I mean it. Industrialised civilisation affords even some of the poorest among us a lifestyle that blows medieval European nobility out of the water.

I mean, I am talking to people, thousands of miles away, on a screen, in my pajamas, and it's instantaneous. Dude, if that just about ain't magic, I don't know what is.

Selftest
12-22-09, 06:59
Not to stray WAAAY to off-topic here, but you, sir, are dead on.

VooDoo6Actual
12-22-09, 07:41
Navigating Collapse writes:

"I'm not sitting on a case of ammo, counting wire, rope, and duct tape, and eating freeze-dried sodium, with a full-on boner. Looking forward to doom, means you're either an abject loser, or sociopathic at best."

OUTSTANDING !

That would be a classic Sir !

Outlander Systems
12-22-09, 08:20
Thank you, good sirs.

As far as the flick, it isn't an action movie. I think if you go into it, not expecting to see an action film, your appreciation for it will be better. It's more of a post-apocalyptic drama/love story, about a father and son.

The setting is bleak, stark, and depressing, to say the least.

I liked the pace of it. Contrasted with the majority of Hollywood's products as of late, it isn't ridden with special effects, and doesn't try to cram 18 subplots into it.

Maybe its me, but it seemed like it had a sort of old-school style, where the actors actually made the movie, and the story carried itself.

An excerpt from the book, that pretty much illustrates the movie quite well:

"He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like groundfoxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it."

It's the feel-good family flick of the season! ;)

chenzzo
12-22-09, 08:46
that's a great excerpt that pretty nearly encapsulates the story.

VooDoo6Actual
12-22-09, 10:02
There are a lot of REAL realities to the Road's underlying story.

Unfortunately many people miss them.

I deal with them every day in my world so they are pronouced and abundantly clear to me.

Survival is what matters most to any living organism ubiquitously unless Apoptosis is desired.

i.e Homicide bombers, martyrdom et al.

"The Killing Room" which is another edgey, dicey, not warm and fuzzy film that will make SNAG's (Sensitive New Age Guy) uncomfortable.

The Killing Room (2009)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119191/synopsis

Situational Awareness will always reign supreme among Predators...

It's an eat what you kill world out there still Gents....whether you want to believe it or not.

Sheepdogs, Wolves and Sheeple all know that...:D

ST911
12-22-09, 10:09
An excerpt from the book, that pretty much illustrates the movie quite well:

"He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like groundfoxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it."

Or how about:

“He walked the beach, slumped and coughing. He stood looking out at the dark swells. He was staggering with fatigue. He went back and sat by the boy and refolded the cloth and wiped his face and then spread the cloth over his forehead. You have to stay near, he said. You have to be quick. So you can be with him. Hold him close. Last day of the earth.

He tried to stay awake all night but he could not. He woke endlessly and sat and slapped himself or rose to put wood on the fire. He held the boy and bent to hear the labored suck of air. His hand on the thin and laddered ribs. He walked out on the beach to the edge of the light and stood with his clenched fists on top of his skull and fell to his knees sobbing in rage.”

Outlander Systems
12-22-09, 10:29
It's an eat what you kill world out there still Gents....whether you want to believe it or not.

It's a long way, to the top, if you wanna Rock 'n' Roll. ;)

joshdr
12-22-09, 15:59
Absolutely. And if you aren't, I don't think it will impact you quite the same....

Well if you arent a father, you're at least a son (or daughter) and it hits pretty hard too.

el guapo
12-22-09, 16:45
Anyone know the deal with the thumbs?

Outlander Systems
12-22-09, 17:17
Thumbs are what makes us human, my good man.

Mark/MO
12-22-09, 20:59
I enjoyed the book. Very sobering and thought provoking. I'm still debating on the movie though. Often it seems the books I really like don't transfer well to the screen or they're not done accurately. My son, who also read the book, thinks we should go, sort of "a father-son" thing if you will.

McCarthy has a unique writing style, some like it and others do not. His punctuation (or lack thereof) takes a bit of getting used to. I joke with my wife that McCarthy couldn't write a happy, feel good ending if his life depended on it. Maybe that is why I like them. So far I've read his Border Trilogy, The Road, No Country and recently the Orchard Keeper.

dookie1481
12-23-09, 13:27
I read and enjoyed (?, not sure if that's the right word) both The Road and No Country for Old Men.

After being disappointed by the film version of No Country..., I don't think I'll subject myself to the film adaptation of The Road.

Have to say, this is typical for me. I read a lot and am generally disappointed by someone else's interpretation of a work of fiction.

Is it because you visualize the book a certain way and are disappointed in the way it comes out when someone else interprets it? NCFOM was damn near identical to the book (except the Bell backstory and the hitchhiker).

Jay

El Mac
12-23-09, 13:42
Well if you arent a father, you're at least a son (or daughter) and it hits pretty hard too.

Thats a good point and one I hadn't thought of. That said, some people 'get it' and some do not.

Ipsilateral_7
12-23-09, 14:05
eh, the book kinda sucked. there was no real conflict resolution in the book and you just watch as they become more and more desperate to survive.

M4arc
12-23-09, 14:10
eh, the book kinda sucked. there was no real conflict resolution in the book and you just watch as they become more and more desperate to survive.

That was the point of the book...

Irish
12-23-09, 14:14

What do you think the book was about?!?!

Ipsilateral_7
12-23-09, 17:32
What do you think the book was about?!?!

Eh, I still think it sucked. The reality of their reality was the same at the end of the book than at the beginning minus a character. To me it's like reading someone blog about the menial activities of their life, big deal, it was like reading about grass growing. While it was a struggle to live, there was no conflict resolution with the book, the kid didn't learn any skills, he was left alone, and had the same daily conflict of trying to live and eat at the after the book ends. while not every story needs to have a happily ever-after, there at least should be some central conflict that the characters face during the course of the book that is addressed. No thank you, not my cup of tea.

Jerm
12-23-09, 18:58
I was beginning to think i was the only one.

...As a father no less.:eek:

El Mac
12-23-09, 19:08
Eh, I still think it sucked. The reality of their reality was the same at the end of the book than at the beginning minus a character. To me it's like reading someone blog about the menial activities of their life, big deal, it was like reading about grass growing. While it was a struggle to live, there was no conflict resolution with the book, the kid didn't learn any skills, he was left alone, and had the same daily conflict of trying to live and eat at the after the book ends. while not every story needs to have a happily ever-after, there at least should be some central conflict that the characters face during the course of the book that is addressed. No thank you, not my cup of tea.

Actually the ending was not the same as the beginning. One has to pay attention.

But I can understand it not being your cup o'tea.

M4arc
12-23-09, 19:12

I liked it for all those reasons. I'm tired of the typical, cliché, feel good, Hollywood stories. This book raised some emotions and bummed me out in ways that only nonfiction books have in the past. There were a couple of nights where I had a hard time falling asleep after reading this book. The only other time that happened to me was when I read about when John Walker Lindh was captured in Afghanistan. If a fiction can do that I'm impressed.

Jerm
12-23-09, 21:27
I liked it for all those reasons. I'm tired of the typical, cliché, feel good, Hollywood stories.

I wasn't looking for any of that either.

...Just kept waiting for something to happen.

It wasn't like i was looking for Mad Max type action...I can think of maybe 3 tense moments in the book that would have to qualify as the "action".

I thought the book did a great job of pulling you into the world.I was just hoping for a less mundane trip when i got there.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-25-09, 12:18
I liked it for all those reasons. I'm tired of the typical, cliché, feel good, Hollywood stories. This book raised some emotions and bummed me out in ways that only nonfiction books have in the past. There were a couple of nights where I had a hard time falling asleep after reading this book. The only other time that happened to me was when I read about when John Walker Lindh was captured in Afghanistan. If a fiction can do that I'm impressed.

Absolutely. McCarthy's storytelling isn't about easy answers. And a buddy who went and saw the movie with me said he had nightmares (I probably did too but I hardly ever remember my dreams).

The funny thing is, "The Road" did have a happy ending---at least by McCarthy's standards.

nismo1013
01-08-10, 11:27
Thumbs are what makes us human, my good man.

Haha, taken out of context, I like this quote. :D

Anyway, I've decided to hold off on seeing the movie for now. I got the book for Christmas and am going to give myself time to read it first, then see the flick. All of the dark, gloomy, slow-paced descriptors I'm reading here are right up my ally.

It immediately brings to mind one of my all-time favs, There Will Be Blood. VERY slow, but VERY awesome. I haven't read Upton Sinclair's "Oil," which is what the movie is based off of, but the film was great. As deep as you wanted to make it...

nutnless220
01-08-10, 12:39

Zhurdan
01-08-10, 12:52
Read the book. Liked it, but I'll probably go watch The Book of Eli for the action and let The Road live in my mind.

RogerinTPA
01-08-10, 13:08

The central conflict, at least for me, was the evasion of marauding gangs and others, who captured, killed and ate people for food.

I thought the movie stayed pretty close and true to the book, but it is difficult to go from book to movie, without getting something lost in translation.

Like the Blackhawk Down movie vs book vs actual events. I thought the Movie left out things that the book contained, but it was still good portrayal. After being in Somalia, I thought the Movie was the G rated version of the actual events, and was quite generous to some of the command personnel who had there heads up their asses, but if they had included more, the movie would have been an epic bore. There's a balance between entertainment value, production cost, and essential story line.

masternave
01-08-10, 16:02

The book is one of the finest pieces of literature I've ever read. *HIGHLY* recommend, both as a heart wrenching story that wrings true, and as a SHTF story.

SW-Shooter
01-08-10, 17:39
I saw it today, thought it was more terrifying than any movie I've seen to date.

The fact that people have acted like this in our history is not lost on me. For all those that wish for a SHTF moment in the world, watch this movie and see your future. It won't be all that its cut out to be.

I need to go hug my kids.

DacoRoman
01-08-10, 19:17
Haven't seen the movie, but it is amazing how some people romanticize about cruising the post apocalyptic bad lands, perhaps taking out bad guys, meeting receptive wenches, and not only surviving, but actually thriving (not to mention, enjoying it).

Like you guys say, I imagine that survival would be exactly that, survival, in other words a struggle to stay alive, to survive.

Even if one finds a relatively stable living situation, working to survive using 19th or early 20th century technology would be not be easy. I just looked it up and the average human life span in the early 20th century was 30-45 years old. Pretty sobering I say.

It is amazing to contemplate the incredibly high standard of living we have, where not only food, shelter and clothing is obtained relatively easily, compared to historical standards, even by the poor (I mean when even the poor are fat, you know that something absolutely amazing, even Biblical, is happening!), but also things like hot water and air conditioning, including heat, and even transport, is effortlessly obtained. Not to mention...entertainment and access to almost any information at will.

Modern life is a bloody marvel, simply miraculous really. It really is that stunning when you really stop to think of it.

I'm planning on seeing this movie. Thanks for discussing it.

tampam4
01-09-10, 18:52
"The Killing Room" which is another edgey, dicey, not warm and fuzzy film that will make SNAG's (Sensitive New Age Guy) uncomfortable.

The Killing Room (2009)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119191/synopsis

I figured anything that Hoploethos thought was good must be teh mozt badass, so I checked it out. Great movie, and what an AWESOME ending!:eek:

Definitely makes you wonder what if

VooDoo6Actual
01-10-10, 09:17
Glad you enjoyed that.

Makes most people uncomfortable and not willing to be cognizant of their DNA code !

Outlander Systems
01-10-10, 11:01
Modern life is a bloody marvel, simply miraculous really. It really is that stunning when you really stop to think of it.

This.

RogerinTPA
01-10-10, 11:47
I saw it today, thought it was more terrifying than any movie I've seen to date.

The fact that people have acted like this in our history is not lost on me. For all those that wish for a SHTF moment in the world, watch this movie and see your future. It won't be all that its cut out to be.

After watch After Armageddon on the history channel and the Road, I'll have to reconsider an immediate E&E plan to get away from large metro areas. Makes me consider buying a 4X4, and a farm in the middle of no where, and start a commune with folks from this forum....

mmike87
01-10-10, 16:14

People who think they will go down standing in a knee-deep pile of hot brass with a clan of bikini-clad women huddled behind them are probably going to be disappointed when the "big one" comes.

SW-Shooter
01-10-10, 18:34
After watch After Armageddon on the history channel and the Road, I'll have to reconsider an immediate E&E plan to get away from large metro areas. Makes me consider buying a 4X4, and a farm in the middle of no where, and start a commune with folks from this forum....

I'm all for starting a non hippie commune. If/when it does happen, if you don't have solid dependable numbers you will be lunch and dinner.

One thing stood out in The Road was how accurate they depicted cannibalism. They were cutting off the limbs, one at a time, keeping the host alive albeit barely. If you slaughter an animal slowly this way they can feed you over a week long period or longer with proper preparation.

This movie still sticks with me, it is almost haunting. Maybe I'm sensitive to this particular subject matter. I just can't shake the ill filling that is still with me days after I've seen the movie. I need to go back and watch Avatar again, need to get the thoughts of doom out of my mind.

DacoRoman
01-10-10, 19:13

Well all this post apocalyptic talk got me doing some reading (unsure of the quality of the info.), and I found a few blog posts that argue exactly this line of thinking, and to me it seems to make a lot of sense.

In a nut shell some of the argument against bugging out:
-Bugging out turns you into a refugee
-Bugging out in a situation of evacuation can be impossible due to clogged roads etc
-Bugging out in a vehicle turns you into a high visibility/value target
-If you are going to bug out, you need to have a refuge destination already set up
-Living off the land is very very problematic, and has a low likely hood to succeed
-You most likely won't be welcome in rural areas due issues of trespassing on other's land

Other points made (also by many of you):
-From a survival point of view it is superior to already live in a rural, semi-rural, area in comparison to a large metropolitan area for obvious reasons, and one ought to prepare such a location for long term survival, but also have contingencies for the area being invaded by refugees/gangs from the city.
-Even better, if one doesn't mind being a hermit, or isolated, is to have a fairly remote, hidden location off the beaten path. (This could also be one's refuge cabin somewhere, if you have to bug out from your primary location).

A couple of links on the topic:

bugging out (http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/2008/12/bugging-out.html)
urban survival vs bugging out (http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/2009/01/urban-survival.html)

forgot add this
cool survival retreat in Montana (http://www.survivalrealty.com/2009/06/paradise-valley-montana-retrea.html)

RogerinTPA
01-10-10, 19:50
Well all this post apocalyptic talk got me doing some reading (unsure of the quality of the info.), and I found a few blog posts that argue exactly this line of thinking, and to me it seems to make a lot of sense.

In a nut shell some of the argument against bugging out:
-Bugging out turns you into a refugee
-Bugging out in a situation of evacuation can be impossible due to clogged roads etc
-Bugging out in a vehicle turns you into a high visibility/value target
-If you are going to bug out, you need to have a refuge destination already set up
-Living off the land is very very problematic, and has a low likely hood to succeed
-You most likely won't be welcome in rural areas due issues of trespassing on other's land

Other points made (also by many of you):
-From a survival point of view it is superior to already live in a rural, semi-rural, area in comparison to a large metropolitan area for obvious reasons, and one ought to prepare such a location for long term survival, but also have contingencies for the area being invaded by refugees/gangs from the city.
-Even better, if one doesn't mind being a hermit, or isolated, is to have a fairly remote, hidden location off the beaten path. (This could also be one's refuge cabin somewhere, if you have to bug out from your primary location).

A couple of links on the topic:

bugging out (http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/2008/12/bugging-out.html)
urban survival vs bugging out (http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/2009/01/urban-survival.html)

forgot add this
cool survival retreat in Montana (http://www.survivalrealty.com/2009/06/paradise-valley-montana-retrea.html)

The way I see it, timing is everything. If you see the signs (overwhelming) that things are about to turn to shit, then you bugout to your rural fall back position, along with friends with guns.....before the sheeple, waiting for government intervention, decides to do the same and clog the roads.

VA_Dinger
01-10-10, 20:02
I just finished the book a few days ago and found it to be outstanding. I honestly could not put it down. Like others have said, it is a haunting and depressing story.

I had planned on seeing the movie today only to find out it is not playing in my area.

Cobra66
01-11-10, 15:42
I'm on the fence about the "Ultimate Doom". While the implosion of society is intellectually interesting, and theoretically exciting, the reality of it will most likely be a living hell, if it comes.

I'm not sitting on a case of ammo, counting wire, rope, and duct tape, and eating freeze-dried sodium, with a full-on boner. Looking forward to doom, means you're either an abject loser, or sociopathic at best.

All that being said, I believe true Armageddon is personal. I've seen lives ripped to shreds by the recent Great Recession, and have felt some of it's bitter sting myself. No, the laid-off dude with a child possessing health problems, is NOT exactly "stoked" about his personal apocalypse.

If you're sitting around waiting for "the party" you need to chicketty check yourself, and get some pills."[/I]

You Sir, are wise beyond years!

We may not like it all the time, but civilization (and ours particularly) is what has allowed us as a race to survive as long as we have despite the fact that everything on this planet (including others of our own species), is dead set to kill us. If civilization falls, it will not be the lone wolfs that survive to carry on, but the sheepdogs that pick up the pieces and band together.

I've spend a fair amount of time in the Balkans, and have spoken to parties on all sides. They were a society that faced their own apocalypse and no matter what side you talk about, the only people who truly thrived were the politicians, psychopaths, and criminals. It is nothing that no sane man ever wants to see, much less live through.

I have been looking forward to this movie, but as a rule do not go to the theaters. Probably will end up in my NetFlix cue first chance I get.

Atg336
01-11-10, 17:09
Read the book in one day, it was my first McCarthy novel. Really liked it and I recommend it to most people. I was waiting for the movie to come around my way, but it hasn't yet and I doubt it will :mad: I know the movie will be different than the book - both are different mediums so inherently there will be certain things in the book that cannot be made into a visual format/time constraints.

I'm actually in the midst of a project dealing with urban survival, and the information I read in the book and some of what has been said on here are pretty much right on, as in the case of human survival behavior.
I also agree that humans need to be in small groups to survive. Humans are social animals. Ask any one familiar with the psychology of long term survival and they will tell you that without human to human interaction, a man (or woman) will die - inventing a Wilson can only prevent this for a little while.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I do want to ask what anyone's thoughts are on how long ammunition supplies could last starting from the time the nukes/bio agents/dirty bombs/meteors drop? For example here on the east coast or the entirety of North America.

(This is my first post. I thought I'd be posting on my future AR build, guess not.)

GermanSynergy
01-11-10, 19:34
Reading this thread has inspired me to go out and purchase this book tonight.

RogerinTPA
01-11-10, 19:59
Forgot to mention Robert Duval as the old man on the road. He has always been one of my favorite actors. He was barely recognizable in the movie. I was completely shocked when I recognized him.

M4arc
08-30-10, 10:16
I FINALLY watched the movie last night and I really liked it. I thought it stayed in line with and was pretty much how I visualized it when I was reading the book.

Also, I thought it kept me emotionally invested much like the the book did.

Two thumbs up from me.

Rated21R
08-30-10, 10:31
I FINALLY watched the movie last night and I really liked it. I thought it stayed in line with and was pretty much how I visualized it when I was reading the book.

Also, I thought it kept me emotionally invested much like the the book did.

Two thumbs up from me.

I finally watched it too (not last night but a little while back). I have to agree with M4arc's comments. Good flick, sad but good.

adh
08-30-10, 14:08
I read the book first and watched the movie a few weeks ago. They did a pretty good job with the movie considering the amount of time you have to squeeze into a movie. I wasn't sure I would watch the hole movie, but once I started, I couldn't stop. I still don't think it compares to the book.

M4arc
08-30-10, 14:14
I still don't think it compares to the book.

Movies rarely, if ever, do.

500grains
08-30-10, 20:16
The movie was depressing and the kid was a total puss.

Please pass the long pig sausage.

LHS
08-30-10, 23:09
"The Road" convinced me of two things:

First, Cormac McCarthy is one of the greatest writers in the English language.

Second, I'll never read another one of his books again. They're too damn depressing. I liked No Country, despite its bleakness, but The Road was just... too bleak. Realistic? Most likely. It didn't romanticize the collapse of civilization, it painted it in the way things would likely occur. That's not a pretty picture.

Mac5.56
08-31-10, 01:13
Loved it. Not willing to say the author is the best thing since sliced bread, but this was a great story!

jaxman7
08-31-10, 05:21
Very true with The Road and all others for the most part. In my opinion the only movie/series that meets or exceeds the book is Band of Brothers. Ambrose's book is great but Spielberg does a fantastic job of translating his words into celluloid. Also because this a multi part series he gets into alot of depth compared to just a single 2 hour movie.

Movies rarely, if ever, do.

TOrrock
08-31-10, 07:25
Just watched it the other night.

Damn.

Yeah, no romantic end of the world fantasies there.

austinN4
08-31-10, 07:36
Second, I'll never read another one of his books again. They're too damn depressing. I liked No Country, despite its bleakness, but The Road was just... too bleak. Realistic? Most likely. It didn't romanticize the collapse of civilization, it painted it in the way things would likely occur. That's not a pretty picture.
Try his Border Trilogy: All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the Plain.

M4arc
08-31-10, 14:01
The movie was depressing and the kid was a total puss.

Please pass the long pig sausage.

Seriously? WTF?

Try his Border Trilogy: All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the Plain.

Depressing? I don't think I could read another book like The Road.

tiger seven
08-31-10, 14:20

I best McCarthy work I've read is Blood Meridian. I wouldn't say it's as depressing as The Road, but it is bleaker and probably the most relentlessly brutal novel I've ever read in its examination of human nature. While I was impressed and at times moved by The Road, I think Blood Meridian is a genuine masterpiece and work of genius. It's a very different sort of book though, with a very different sort of language, so many fans of The Road may not like it.

Derek

austinN4
08-31-10, 14:37
Eye of the beholder - here are the reviews on Amazon so you can make up your own mind: http://www.amazon.com/Border-Trilogy-Crossing-Everymans-Library/dp/0375407936

Blood Meridian is a work of art, but also may be the most violent book I have ever read. Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Meridian-Evening-Redness-Library/dp/0679641041/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

M4arc
08-31-10, 15:58
Eye of the beholder - here are the reviews on Amazon so you can make up your own mind: http://www.amazon.com/Border-Trilogy-Crossing-Everymans-Library/dp/0375407936

Blood Meridian is a work of art, but also may be the most violent book I have ever read. Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Meridian-Evening-Redness-Library/dp/0679641041/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

Oh I think I could actually get into those! I think The Road just hit close to home. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but having a son around the same age really scared the shit out of me. Depressing was not the right word.

pilotguyo540
08-31-10, 16:13
I read the book a while ago and just watched the movie for the first time last night.

The movie was more along the lines of the book than I thought possible. I had 2 very different feelings after completing each. After I finished the book, my will to live and any hope of the future were gone. and I need way more ammo. After the movie I felt I just need more ammo and a storm shelter :)

5pins
09-01-10, 08:18
I remember saying to my wife after the movie “at least we won’t start the end of the world with only one revolver and two rounds of ammo”.