PDA

View Full Version : Liberty 20 minute Firesafe for $269

getchevyn
12-21-09, 14:35
Got this for my ARs. Go to the Post Office and get the 10% coupon or get a Lowes credit card. $297- 10%= $269. Other online places got them for $570. It's really nice for the price. Much better than storing them unprotected.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=292952-10283-CE12-BK&lpage=none

Some pics.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/getchevyn/CloseSafe.jpg
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/getchevyn/OpenSafe.jpg

geminidglocker
12-21-09, 14:56
Wow, that's awesome, I can't afford it right now but I'll keep my eyes open for a deal like that. Looks pretty nice.

fdxpilot
12-21-09, 16:24
Well, I didn't have the 10% off coupon, but my wife got me one for our last anniversary, when she saw how my post-Obama collection was growing. The 14 yr old has too many wise-ass friends around to not have all the weapons I'm not carrying locked up. Lowe's: Who knew?

thmpr
12-21-09, 16:54
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Ed L.
12-21-09, 16:57
Not to rain on any parade, but the safe you linked to said no for fireproof.

getchevyn
12-21-09, 17:27

It's right there under description:

1200-1400°F (CE12 economy models include one layer of 5/8" fireboard or 55,000 BTUS)
Palusol heat-expanding seal included on all models, expanding up to 7 times it size in a fire at 212°F. Don't settle for inferior door seals used on cheaper safes.
Durable gloss textured black finish with satin chrome hardware
Defensive barrier of four active 1" diameter bolts
20 min. fire rated
Combination lock
3-in-1 Interior
4 - 1" Locking bolts
12.2 cu.ft.
1 year in- home warranty
14 long gun capacity
14 gauge steel body

DWood
12-21-09, 17:33

It actually states that it has a 20 minute fire rating. After 33 years of responding to fires and seeing the destructive capabilities of the "red devil", I will say that the safe SHOULD protect your guns for 20+ minutes unless the fire is right where the safe is. It is better than nothing and is affordable for most. Evereyone would love to have a walk in safe with a two hour rating. Not everyone can afford one.

DWood
12-21-09, 17:36
Got this for my ARs. Go to the Post Office and get the 10% coupon or get a Lowes credit card. $297- 10%= $269.

What is the Post Office coupon?

getchevyn
12-21-09, 17:55
What is the Post Office coupon?

Go to the post office and get a change of address packet. There is usually a 10% coupon in there.

RogerinTPA
12-21-09, 18:21
That looks like a good buy to store my ammo in, next to my other safe. Did you bolt it to the wall or floor? Just curious.

DWood
12-21-09, 18:24
Go to the post office and get a change of address packet. There is usually a 10% coupon in there.

Thanks, I will try that.

getchevyn
12-21-09, 19:04
That looks like a good buy to store my ammo in, next to my other safe. Did you bolt it to the wall or floor? Just curious.

Bolt to floor.

thmpr
12-21-09, 19:42
Plan to store my ammo... They are in stock at my Lowes.

Ed L.
12-21-09, 20:56
My bad. I just glanced at the chart on the right side which said: "Fireproof: No."

Th description definitely is as you said.

KS Trekker
12-22-09, 06:59
I might have to get one of those. Most of the gun safes I see are way too heavy and I could never get it into my basement. While this safe may not be Ft. Knox, it should do a reasonable job of keeping my valuables safe.

glockeyed
12-22-09, 07:56
i was already planning to buy this one when it was $397!!

Bighead
12-22-09, 08:56
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize Lowe's even sold safes.

Avenger29
12-22-09, 21:09
I'm going to go see if I can get a raincheck for one of these at this price at my local store.

If I can get a raincheck or if they actually happen to have one in stock at this price, I will purchase it with cash and move it myself.

getchevyn
12-22-09, 21:23
I'm going to go see if I can get a raincheck for one of these at this price at my local store.

If I can get a raincheck or if they actually happen to have one in stock at this price, I will purchase it with cash and move it myself.

If you get a message from your local Lowes saying, "Not Sold at Lowe's Of *******, OH." Disregard that. My local Lowes had 9 of these even though it said that on the web page.

I am thinking about getting another one to store my ammo since it's so inexpensive. Sale ends on 12/24

John_Wayne777
12-22-09, 21:52
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/TueDec22222242AmericaNew_York2009.jpg

Couldn't pass up those safes at this price.

getchevyn
12-22-09, 23:03
:eek::eek:

2 safes is better than one. It's going to take twice the effort to break into those.:D

cobra90gt
12-23-09, 01:38
Not a bad price at all for someone wanting to pick up a safe...

Erik 1
12-23-09, 07:39
I will definitely be checking this out. Thank you to the OP for posting!

John_Wayne777
12-23-09, 07:42
For those pondering this....get on it ASAP. When I picked mine up last night I had to travel to a Lowe's 40 miles away to find them, and that store was down to their last 3.

According to the sales people there they had been "selling the snot out of 'em."

You can call Lowe's customer care line and the nice lady on the other end of the phone will help you locate a store local to you that has them in stock.

Avenger29
12-23-09, 10:44
Okay, so I dropped by my Lowes today, and they didn't have any in stock but were going to get some more in next Tuesday. No rainchecks.

Fingers crossed, can't travel to pick one up elsewhere...

getchevyn
12-23-09, 11:14
Okay, so I dropped by my Lowes today, and they didn't have any in stock but were going to get some more in next Tuesday. No rainchecks.

Fingers crossed, can't travel to pick one up elsewhere...

Just go ahead and order one online. Pay for it and have it shipped to Lowes. Pick it up on Tuesday.

Wes1977
12-23-09, 11:23
I ended up with a display model. I think it was the only one in the area.

C45P312
12-23-09, 11:58
Got mine!

LOKNLOD
12-23-09, 16:29
Got the last one at the lowes close to work.... Now i'm on my way to the lowes about 30 min away to get #2.... thanks for posting this up. Been putting off getting one for a while because of the cost, but this put me over the edge. Due to the spot I want to put them ( closet with narrow doors) 2 smaller safes is going to work out a lot better than 1 big one.

C45P312
12-23-09, 19:56
For those on the fence or don't have a truck, you can pay now and pick up later.

An Undocumented Worker
12-23-09, 20:23
Thanks for the link, ordered one online tonight, and am going to pick it up at a local lowes tomorrow!:cool:

Boomer10
12-23-09, 20:26
For those on the fence or don't have a truck, you can pay now and pick up later.

I think you just sold me on buying one.

RogerinTPA
12-23-09, 20:50
SHIT!!!! They are no where to be found now! Snooze you loose!:(

LOKNLOD
12-23-09, 21:15
The lady that checked me out at the first Lowe's asked if I had a coupon or anything, and when I said "no", she asked if I was military or ex military (I'm not). So Lowe's may offer some discounts for you guys. Just a heads up! Something to look into at least.

The guy at the empty Lowe's also said they showed that they had more on order, probably coming in next week. Not sure if that's true everywhere or even here but they may come back into stock. Not sure if the sale will be continued that long.

SeriousStudent
12-23-09, 21:22
Scratch and dent sale, baby!!! :p

I found the last one in the box at a local Lowe's. When they opened the box, it had a gouge about 12 inches long on one side.

The manager gave it to me out the door for $250 cash money, and helped me load it in the truck. :D

And yeah, the dent is on the side that will be next to the wall.

Many thanks to getchevyn, and have a excellent Christmas!

Caeser25
12-23-09, 21:39
Good deal. I need a smaller dedicated safe for ammo.

Erik 1
12-23-09, 21:40
The tip about calling the customer care number definitely saved me some running around. Thanks JW777, much appreciated. I've been wanting to pick up a safe of some kind for several months, and between the price and the tip on the post office coupon, I'm very happy with this one.

getchevyn
12-23-09, 21:48
Not sure if the sale will be continued that long.

The sale ends tommorrow 12/24. Those of you sitting on the fence or couldn't get one because it's outta stock should call there customer service like JW777 suggest and track one down. Just check on their website and the online purchase option is taken out. :mad:

Many thanks to getchevyn, and have a excellent Christmas!

You're welcome and you too have a Merry Christmas.

edit: I just got my second one tonight. The store manager was saying, "You got alot of guns?". I told her this one is for my ammo. I should be expecting a visit from Homeland soon.:D

Avenger29
12-23-09, 22:23
Just check on their website and the online purchase option is taken out

Yeah, it won't let you order it online unless you put in a zipcode for store, that according to the site, has it in stock/available.

And son of a bitch, their customer care center closes at 11:00PM.

I hope the sale continues to COB tomorrow...I'll call tomorrow morning and see if I can track something down...

KaBar762
12-23-09, 23:58
I was able to get over to my local Lowe's this evening and do a pick up later. Lowe's website said my local store didn't have any in stock but sure enough they had 6 out on the floor.

I used my military ID for a 10% discount. Just have to ask for it.

As soon as I can find a dolly, may have to rent one, I will go pick it up. Great deal and thanks for the heads up! Thats twice now this site has saved me a bunch of money. First the $90 Troy BUIS and now this.

nutnless220
12-24-09, 00:02

Cascades236
12-24-09, 11:34
FYI:

I'm out of town visiting the folks for the holidays when I came across the deal. My local store is out of stock but thought they had some coming in. They allowed me to lock in the price and will be holding one for me. Worth a try if you can't find one, give em a call.

chadbag
12-24-09, 11:50

Don't store significant amounts of ammo in a safe. A safe is pretty airtight and if it gets hot enough in a fire to start cooking off your ammo in the safe the safe becomes a big bomb -- pressure from the burning ammo/powder builds up inside the safe until the safe cannot contain it any more.

Use a metal lockable non airtight cabinet for ammo.

Erik 1
12-24-09, 12:37
What's a significant amount of ammo in this context?

chadbag
12-24-09, 12:39
What's a significant amount of ammo in this context?

I don't know. I have not personally tested it. A box or two is probably fine. Case lot sized is probably too much.

Erik 1
12-24-09, 12:44
Thanks. That would be a fun test to run...

PT Doc
12-24-09, 13:49
Thanks for the heads up on this. I had one of the 10% coupons already and we had previously received some gift cards to go towards our new home. A little road trip to Alpharetta and my office now has a new piece of furniture. Much appreciated and hope you all have a very Merry Christmas.

chadbag
12-24-09, 14:33
Thanks. That would be a fun test to run...

Got to stick it in the ear at Mythbusters...

Icculus
12-24-09, 16:02
Thanks getchevyn. Had been needing a safe and this is a excellent value and a good starting point. Just picked mine up; now I just need to find/rent a hand truck to get it inside.

Got to stick it in the ear at Mythbusters...

That would be awesome. Kinda like the black powder in the toilet or the water heater missle:D

nfranco
12-24-09, 16:07
Thank you getchevyn, just ordered one!

Tipy
12-24-09, 16:58
What does this model weigh? To big for one person to move it in?
Thanks,
Tipy

nfranco
12-24-09, 17:13
Thanks,
Tipy

Spec sheet says 265lbs, I'm bringing a friend just in case they lie. :D

LOKNLOD
12-24-09, 19:08
Thanks,
Tipy

I unloaded both of mine from my truck by myself, and I moved one out of the garage and into the back closet. It takes some thought, planning ahead, and care, but one guy can do it, if he's got a 2-wheel dolly.

rjacobs
12-24-09, 19:10
Went to a few lowes today looking for one and couldnt find any so I gave up. Wasn't 100% enthused on this safe anyway, but I need something and this was about the cheapest decent quality safe I could find.

PA Traveler
12-24-09, 19:26
I just picked one up about three weeks ago for $397 and it was still the best deal I had found for a first safe. Who knew?

There are only two American made safe manufacturers left - Liberty and AMSEC. This is Liberty's economy / entry level / call it what you want safe and is made in China.

I picked it because it met my size needs- all others even close in price were either too small or too big.

Guess I can't complain.

Erik 1
12-24-09, 22:49
I unloaded both of mine from my truck by myself, and I moved one out of the garage and into the back closet. It takes some thought, planning ahead, and care, but one guy can do it, if he's got a 2-wheel dolly.

As did I (only one safe, though). And then I read the warnings. Apparently, I should be dead now.

thmpr
12-25-09, 00:38
Picked mine up today. Had to drive a little further because the Lowe's near my area sold 10 units in a day! They must have read this thread as well.

13F3OL7
12-25-09, 01:43
Damn. I really could have used one of those. Well, at least there's the military discount.

thmpr
12-25-09, 12:58
Sale ended yesterday.

snappy
12-26-09, 13:33
I picked one up for the sale price just today and used the Lowes 10% coupon from the post office as well. Great deal so BIG THANKS to the op for the heads up!! :D Prescott Lowes had one left an hour ago!

Boomer10
12-27-09, 15:33
I bought mine friday and picked it up today. It's now fully loaded. :D

Thanks to the OP.

nfranco
12-27-09, 15:34
Does this safe come in a box?
If so, how much bigger is the box than the safe?

LOKNLOD
12-27-09, 16:49
Does this safe come in a box?
If so, how much bigger is the box than the safe?

Yes, but it's just big enough to cover the safe body plus a little extra inch or two on the the front to cover the handle/dial. The box just slides over the top, the safe itself is bolted to a small wooden frame/pallet (same footprint as the safe).

nfranco
12-27-09, 17:05
Thank you.

brit
12-27-09, 17:45
I work at lowes, and I was contemplating getting this safe, as Lowes employees and anyone retired or active duty military get a 10% discount.

But honestly, after closer inspection, I didn't feel like it was very well built. All the models we received had at least 1/4 - 1/2 inch of play in the door when the unit was locked.

I ended up finding a 15 cu.ft non fire-rated safe at Academy for $99

An Undocumented Worker
12-27-09, 17:51
I work at lowes, and I was contemplating getting this safe, as Lowes employees and anyone retired or active duty military get a 10% discount.

But honestly, after closer inspection, I didn't feel like it was very well built. All the models we received had at least 1/4 - 1/2 inch of play in the door when the unit was locked.

I ended up finding a 15 cu.ft non fire-rated safe at Academy for $99

You can adjust out the play on the door.

brit
12-27-09, 17:57
oh, no shit?

well, you learn something every day. :shrug:

C45P312
12-27-09, 18:25
What's up with this lock. Are you able to change these out?

Icculus
12-27-09, 20:11
oh, no shit?

well, you learn something every day. :shrug:

I had to adjust my door as it was a little loose as well

What's up with this lock. Are you able to change these out?

I still think its a good deal--the quality for the price--and I was in desperate need of a safe; but the lock is the one thing I really noticed. Assuming someone was able to guess the first number; which I agree would be tough as the knob spins pretty freely when you first start; I think they would be able to get the second and third #'s no problem as the lock (or mine anyway) gets much tighter and harder to turn when you approach the correct #'s.