PDA

View Full Version : Long Range AR-10 Barrel with M4 Feed Ramps?

Crash
03-15-07, 20:14
I'm going to be building my own parts version of the SASS, and the base rifle that I'm using is an Armalite AR10 Carbine. When I purchased the carbine version, all info I could find stated that the upper receiver did not have M4 ramps cut into it. (I didn't call Armalite directly :( ) When I got the rifle, sure enough, it did.

Now I'm wondering if I order a custom barrel from any one of our vendors, are they able to get the barrel I want with the M4 feed ramp barrel extension?

I am considering a Pac-Nor from Adco, an Obermeyer, or a Noveske. I still haven't made up my mind. I was just wondering if any of our board members had a definitive answer.

Thanks for the help guys.

Nathan_Bell
03-15-07, 21:15
I purchased one of Adco's complete 24" uppers with the Pac Nor, it has the M4 ish cuts in the receiver and the barrel extension. Looking at it, I don't see how it could not have them, it appears that the AR 10 has to have them to feed.

ETA It shoots better than all but a few shooters I know. It is boring at 300 yards and a 6" steel plate. Put cross hairs on the part of the target you want to hit, squeeze trigger, hear a bang, see a mark where the crosshairs were.

Crash
03-15-07, 22:29
Thanks for the quick reply. I've read/heard that having the M4 feed ramps in the receiver, and not on the extension can cause hang ups when feeding. I'm glad to hear that ADCO has the feedramps. I just don't want to go building a 5K rifle and have a bunch of issues due to something that I should have foreseen being an issue.

Thanks again.

idk
03-16-07, 00:11
The two AR10s that I have only had the cuts in the barrel extension not in the upper, and they eat every thing I feed them. Have you checked www.rockcreekbarrels.com they make nice stuff. What did you do with your carbine upper? Was it infantry weight or medium wieght, I'm looking for a medium weight barreled upper.
Roger

Crash
03-16-07, 12:15
I'll have to check when I get home. I believe the barrel is infantry weight. I am going to sell the barrel as a take off part, but I'll be keeping the upper receiver. It does have the feed ramps cut into it.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/Crash_1/DSC01143.jpg