PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Clone for .22lr Upper?

ChrisG
12-21-09, 15:48
I recently invested in a .22 upper for inexpensive training. I would like to find a cheap reddot that would reasonably simulate the M4S on my 5.56 gun. Can anyone recommend a decent quality 30mm tube optic that can fill this roll? Also, does anyone know where I can find a ballistics table for .22lr at various zero distances? I'd like to compare the close range hold-offs to 5.56mm.

GMZ
12-21-09, 16:09
87GN just posted a favorable review of Primary Arms micro red dot. I would think they have clones of other models too, they are well received usually and inexpensive. Search around and you can find it here and on TOS.

subzero
12-21-09, 16:53
I have had good luck with the Burris (I think) SPOT RDS. Not a direct clone of the M4S, but it's a 30mm tube, so close enough in my book. It's VERY bright, even on setting number 1.

rob_s
12-21-09, 16:58
I have had good luck with the Burris (I think) SPOT RDS. Not a direct clone of the M4S, but it's a 30mm tube, so close enough in my book. It's VERY bright, even on setting number 1.

I have seen more SPOT optics break than every other make/model combined.

rob_s
12-21-09, 16:58
I was considering one of the Sig versions of the micro that sells for around $200 or so. DD was going to buy one and check compatibility with their mount.

subzero
12-21-09, 17:05
I have seen more SPOT optics break than every other make/model combined.

Well there's something I didn't know. Please ignore my recommendation, OP.

87GN
12-21-09, 17:08
I was considering one of the Sig versions of the micro that sells for around $200 or so. DD was going to buy one and check compatibility with their mount.

I honestly think the Sig/iTac micro red dot is made by the same factory that makes the Primary Arms micro red dot. If you compare the two in pictures, they're nearly identical. The PA micro has an optional killflash.

But the OP was asking about M4 style optics, Primary Arms does have an M4 clone as well...edit, oops, they're out of stock. Their M3 clone might be suitable.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-21-09, 17:41
I have one of the Sig dots and a T-1. The T-1 is on my Recce, the Aimpoint on a GSG-5. Only have a couple hundred rounds thru the GSG with the Sig clone, but it is holding up OK so far. Someone posted that while the Sig says it has a ong battery life, theirs ran for days, not months, on a set of batteries.

The Sig is no Aimpoint, but it feels pretty solid, and the adjustment clicks were pretty tactile and repeatable.

ChrisG
12-21-09, 18:13
Thanks for the input. The Primary Arms is certainly priced right, and seems to be well reviewed on TOS. The SIG also looks interesting but I would prefer a 30mm tube.
For those of you that have been using .22 uppers for training, may I ask what zero distance you settled on and to what extent your hold-offs differ from 5.56 at short range?

C-Fish
12-22-09, 07:58

The Sig STS-081 will mount up to any of the aftermarket Aimpoint Micro mounts. Here is a photo of one in a DD CASV mount.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/mseiferth/Guns/STS081_DDMount.jpg

This particular sight has been on an AK and a CZ58 prior to the AR.
Never any issues with the sight, holds zero, is pretty bright.

I paid less than $100 for mine (I have 2). The other rides on my Mark III Hunter.

The only issue is the diode for the dot is at 6 o'clock. The Aimpoint micro's diode is at 5 o'clock.
Since the micro is the standard, the lower 1/3rd witness mounts don't work with the STS-081.
The diode blocks the irons...I didn't know this when I bought the ADM mount.

Eventually I will upgrade to a H1 and this will move back to the VZ58.

rob_s
12-22-09, 08:01
Thanks for the info re: the diode issue. Good to know re: the cowitness potential. I suppose that as long as it's on something like a .22 training rig, and on a throwlever mount, it wouldn't matter much.

Have to admit I'm interested in the PA sights. I'm going to work on getting the .22 first and the optic for it second.

halo2304
12-22-09, 17:04
I've seen an Aimpoint Comp M2 clone that looks like it would fit the bill nicely. Apparently there are two clones of this model and the one I saw was the better one. It only had five settings besides off and thee knob turned 360. Other than that, it looks pretty damn close to a real one. They were asking $150 for it, mount included. They also had a real one in stock and let me tell you, it was damn hard to tell the difference. I've thought about getting it just to put on my .22 upper.

foxjordan22
12-22-09, 17:31
primary arms micro all the way. i have 3 now im abusing, and so far they have been great.

mrbieler
12-28-09, 07:43
Have a Primary Arms M3 clone on my Ruger SR-22 which has a similar sight picture (I have Magpul BUIS front on rear) and lower 1/3 co-witness. Have about 1000 rounds through it so far.

I have no complaints about it or the mount.

Zero'd at 25 yards. Haven't shoot on paper at 50, but plan to this week.

Robb Jensen
12-28-09, 07:53
I'm using an Aimpoint C3 in a Bobro mount on my Tac Sol .22 upper.

bluepythons
12-28-09, 10:18
I picked up a used Aimpoint CompM off of ebay for about $100 including a mount. It is a real deal Aimpoint and for me it was a no brainerd the best way to go. The big difference that I notice is the CompM is not as bright as my M2's of my duty guns. If you look there are deals to be had on the real deals.

CarlosDJackal
12-28-09, 15:36
I have two of these and they seem to be holding up on my (loaner) lightweight AR-15 as well as my F/A gun with the 7.3" CMMG upper: iTac RDS (http://www.botachtactical.com/itac.html)

They also offer a mount that allows 1/3 co-witness mount: KZ HT Micro mount (http://www.botachtactical.com/kzt1.html)

Hard to beat for a total cost of around $200.

ADDED: They will knock of 10% if you add 'stimulus' to the coupon number. Not sure for how long this offer is good for.

Iceberg
01-06-10, 08:20
I installed a new Trijicon mini red dot that I picked up online for $250 on my TacSol AR22 M4 upper. I had to add a 1/2" riser, but it works great.

wes007
01-06-10, 08:56
Primary arms, Sightmark, Konus, Sig, and Vortex(if your willing to dish out the cash) all make fairly reputable clones.