PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Cans?

Bimmer
12-21-09, 23:41
I'm an idiot.

I've meant to get a set of jerry cans for a long, long time, but I never got around to it.

I moved back to California over three years ago, and I always figured that I could get a set of non-CARB (non-retarded) jerry cans from out-of-state...

I've had a couple of the CARB-approved gas cans, and the spouts are awful. I finally resorted to cutting the end off my 1-gallon gas can's spout and gluing it back on, just so that I can fill up my lawnmower without dousing it in gasoline.

Now I finally got a generator, and I want some jerry cans to feed it, but I see that the EPA has banned them all, and nobody has any for sale anymore.

So, what are my options?

Bimmer

Outlander Systems
12-22-09, 08:31
http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level3c.tam?M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Water%2FFuel%20Storage&level2%2Ectx=level2c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=B%20Ready&BC4%2Ectx=Water%2FFuel%20Storage

"Does not comply with CARB regulations. For Military Purchase and Use only."

I won't tell if you don't. ;)

MIKE G
12-22-09, 10:23

Outlander Systems
12-22-09, 10:42
Those are awesome. Bookmarked.

Bimmer
12-22-09, 11:45
http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level3c.tam?M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Water%2FFuel%20Storage&level2%2Ectx=level2c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=B%20Ready&BC4%2Ectx=Water%2FFuel%20Storage

Thanks, Navigating...

I saw these, but the 20 liter cans are sold out or "special order." He'll let me put the 10 liter cans in my cart, but I've heard from other forums that a lot of these vendors won't actually ship them until they verify military status (I'm not).

I want to avoid metal... the Specter MFCs are really ideal.

I guess I'm re-thinking the jerry can idea, anyway. They're expensive and bulky. Used Specters are going for $40+, shipped, and the spout is another $27+. They're ideal for regularly transporting fuel or taking abuse or "quick-filling," but I really just need a cheap and easy way to store 10 or 15 gallons of gas at home.

I might just get 2-3 of the cheap red plastic gas cans ($15 each, shipped), a length of hose, and a bunch of good funnels...

Bimmer

MIKE G
12-22-09, 12:23

Heavy Metal
12-22-09, 12:50

If you don't live in Kali, it is irrelevant.

Bimmer
12-22-09, 13:33
If you don't live in Kali, it is irrelevant.

Well, I do live in California, but I'm not above having something sent to out-of-state friends and family and then bringing it back in...

Anyway, the EPA has adapted the "child-proof" rules regarding gas cans, so these Specter cans are no longer for sale to civilians ANYWHERE in the USA.

Anyway, I'm now looking at 5 gallon "utility jugs," like the ones from PU-Products. I don't know if they'll be as durable as MFCs, but they definitely seem better than cheap red gas cans with the stupid-ass CARB guaranteed-to-spill spouts.

Bimmer

Bimmer
12-22-09, 13:39
If you need minimal mobility and you are going to keep more than 5 gallons I would recommend getting a metallic or high quality synthetic small bulk tank. When you store in higher quantities the fuel is slightly more stable and with some planning you can keep water out of it fairly well. Get one smaller can to fill the bulk tank and to transfer from the bulk tank to devices (lawn mower, vehicle, etc) to cycle the fuel when not using it for the genny.

I thought of this, but it seems like a lot of hassle...

I don't think I really want to store more than 10 gallons (two jugs), and I like the idea of being able to easily rotate/move them (every six months dump the gas cans into my car's tank, drive the cans to the gas station, fill them, done).

Jugs also have the advantage of being bug-out-able, if it comes to that. I do like the idea of being able to easily carry extra fuel in or on my vehicle...

Bimmer

AmpedUp
12-24-09, 10:09
Have you looked into Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brown-Scepter-Military-5-gal-Fuel-Can-Jerry-NEW_W0QQitemZ110467462641QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b85fb5f1#ht_5421wt_1167

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scepter-Military-Fuel-Can-MFC-set-of-4-used_W0QQitemZ270504731119QQihZ017QQcategoryZ36071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ht_500wt_1182

I know the ones I posted are for Diesel fuel but the only difference between the gas and diesel is what the gaskets are made out of, if you use some google fu you should be able to find out what size and material you need to set up the diesel cans for gas.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/225685-scepter-fuel-can-gasket.html

Bimmer
12-24-09, 11:53
Have you looked into Ebay?

Yep, I looked. The used ones are $43 shipped, each, and the new one is over $90 (!), shipped. Plus gaskets, plus a spout ($30), and it just doesn't make sense to me...

I just ordered a couple heavy-duty "utility jugs" from PU-Products for $71, shipped (for 2), and they already include the nozzle.

I'll post an update when I get a sense of how well these work...

Bimmer

PA PATRIOT
12-26-09, 15:18
I not 100% sure but I think Bass Pro Shops has seven gallon tall boy Jerry cans in there clearance area at the Harrisburg store. I received 12 as gifts and I think thats were he got them from, price around $20.00 each.

tmorg
01-01-10, 09:42
Can you still find metal cans?Or are they all plastic now?

Bimmer
01-01-10, 14:05
An update...

I've got the PU-Products "utility jugs," and I'm really pleased. I had a gallon of old gas in an old gas can, and I transferred it into both cans and then poured it in my car yesterday.

Each jug comes with it's own hose spout, but I bought an extra cap ($4.00), so I've got normal caps on both of my two cans, and then a dedicated "spout" cap.

First impressions:

1. They're generally well made and pretty heavy duty. They're about the consistency of Arrowhead 5-gallon water cooler jugs (way more solid than the normal gas cans).
I'm not sure how they'd hold up to being run over by a truck or dropped off the roof when full, but I don't plan to do much more than store gas in them...

2. The necks are huge, so there's no need for a funnel when filling from can to can.

3. The end of the hose spout fits PERFECTLY in the gasoline filler "neck" of my car. It's easy to modulate how much gas is going through, too, because they're easier to hold than normal "jerry cans." These are great "dump cans."

4. The extra cap is really the way to go. It's easy enough to get the "inner" caps out of the center of the main caps (use a square 1/2" driver), but it does require the tool.
It's a PITA to get the hose spout in and out of the main cap. It's an 8-sided threaded/barbed hose attachment, and the threads are tight and the plastic 8-sided "nut" is easy to round off, and I wound up using a vice grips to really get it snug.
This is NOT something I would want to do every time I wanted to from storing to pouring. Screwing an extra main cap on and off is child's play.

5. They seal well. There's an o-ring in the main cap, the inner cap seals well in the main cap (I used teflon tape), and there's a rubber gasket in the vent cap. I turned one upside down with a gallon of gas in it, and it didn't leak a drop.

The hose spout does leak at the end. There's no o-ring or anything between between the plastic end and the plastic cap, and it leaks (it would be easy to put an o-ring or a gasket in there).
I won't store or transport gasoline in these with the hose spout in place, and they don't leak with the hose spout in place except from the pouring end, so I'm not worried.

In short, if I decide that 40 liters of gas isn't enough, then I'll get more of these.

YMMV,

Bimmer