PDA

View Full Version : Which IWB attachments for Raven Phantom

beau1911
12-22-09, 13:09
Im going to start IWB-ing one of my 5' 1911s during the colder months and wondering which attachment you guys that are running this setup prefer? Im thinking either the overhooks or the soft loops.

Im trying to stay as streamlined as possible since I dont have a lot of real estate to work with having a 30' waist. Any Feedback or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

John_Wayne777
12-22-09, 13:37
I have a great preference for the rubber loops. They are comfortable, convenient, secure, and (at least in my experience) unbreakable. All of my RCS holsters set up for IWB wear rubber loops.

Mojo58
12-22-09, 14:00
I too prefer the rubber loops on all my IWB kydex holsters, especially with the Phantom model. I have a 32" waist and I think that the pre-curve in the RCS Phantom aids in it's comfort and stability.

M4arc
12-22-09, 14:05
I have the soft loops (rubber) and for me they make the holster and therefore the gun ride up too high. I don't know what other options that Raven offers but if you don't like the gun riding up high you might want to look for something else.

Propblast
12-22-09, 18:05
I use the tuckable over hooks, even though I don't tuck my shirt in. I have had several hooks break but I buy a extra set and when they do break I email them and get a replacement in about a week or so.

BobM
12-22-09, 18:36
I've used the soft loops without any problems since I got the holster, close to 2 years ago.

beau1911
12-22-09, 18:41
Thanks guys, I like the pistol to sit pretty low, especially with a 1911 so im thinking about these :

http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_89_100&products_id=1626

They look like soft loops that are height adjustable. Maybe this is the answer?

Mojo58
12-22-09, 21:09
Thanks guys, I like the pistol to sit pretty low, especially with a 1911 so im thinking about these :

http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_89_100&products_id=1626

They look like soft loops that are height adjustable. Maybe this is the answer?

Mine are the IWB Soft Loops. These are identical to the soft rubber loops that come with my Blade Tech IWB holster. I like these and have them on my kydex knife sheath and my Comp-Tac Infidel holster. Haven't tried the tuckable soft loops though.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-22-09, 22:34
I have tuckable softloops on my Raven for my P226. I tried the wings and offset mounts, but the tuckable softloops worh the best, for me. The wings ones would just shift it back and forth a bit. It carries the P226 at a nice height, but I have the same set-up for my PSP and I thought it rode too high. I EDC a PSP in a Comp-tac leather/kydex model now.

With winter here, I tried the Raven with the P226 again with bigger, warmer clothes and it worked really well for me.

skyugo
12-23-09, 00:02
i use the soft loops.
i may give those tuckable soft loops a whirl when i get a phantom made for my G26 :)

rob_s
12-23-09, 07:26
I have the soft loops (rubber) and for me they make the holster and therefore the gun ride up too high. I don't know what other options that Raven offers but if you don't like the gun riding up high you might want to look for something else.

I agree completely. I originally bought my Raven with these loops, tried carrying in it for several days, changing the height of one loop then the other to get the cant right, and eventually decided the holster was garbage because I hated the loops so much. It put the pistol too high, which also in turn made the holster feel unstable unless I wrenched down on my belt to the point that my innards were squashed, and even then it didn't really feel secure. And the one-way snaps were a nightmare to deal with, and the rubber made it impossible to thread a belt through if you decided not to use the snaps.

Decided to give it another go and ordered the Kydex IWB Overhooks (http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_89_100&products_id=1418), despite the fact that everyone told me they would self destruct after only a few weeks (kind of like those Ready Tactical pouches that I've now been using for several years that are supposed to explode on contact as well). I went ahead and ordered two sets of the overhooks I was that certain the internet was right.

Here we are over a year later of the overhooks and no breakage. It is carried daily, goes on and off my belt, in and out of the car, sits in the center console through heat and (relative) cold, used at both matches and classes, etc. Still intact. I have no explanation for why people elsewhere have shattering kydex but my theory is that the warm weather down here plays a part and helps keep them pliable. I also only attach them with one screw each, down at the bottom, which allows them to flex a bit more as well as to pivot so I can get them around belt loops. I know that some people are using different overhooks from other companies, but I'm still on my first set of Kydex overhooks with a spare set in the drawer so I'm reluctant to fix what ain't broke.

All of that said, if you're looking to carry a 1911 IWB, the only thing I ever found that worked for me was the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I never tried the 1911 in a Raven, but that VMII was literally all-day comfortable with an all steel 5" 1911 for years. I carried in that setup literally for 10+ hour days without taking it off, going from the office to the jobsite to the car, back again, all around town, etc. I think that's why I like the ride of the overhooks on the Raven; it gets the holster down low like the VMII.

Chameleox
12-23-09, 08:02
I've been using the IWB Tuckable Overhooks for several months now in 90 degree summer days, and 7 degree winter days. No problems yet.
I think it tucks in nicely and doesn't ride too high for my tastes. Pretty comfortable too; I carry a G22 and an X200.

beau1911
12-23-09, 11:24
Thanks for all the input guys. Im going to order the tuckable soft loops and the overhooks as well, and see what works best for me.
Happy Holidays!

M4arc
03-01-10, 21:47

I wanted to give everyone a quick update on my previous assessment of the Raven with soft loops.

I decided to give it another try and I'm going on two weeks of carrying it with the soft loops and I've gotten used to it and find the holster comfortable and great for concealing my G19. I like it!

N2CH_556
03-01-10, 22:07
Another skinny guy checkin' in here, beau1911. :D

I first tried the tuckable overhooks (and even experimented with different cants, etc), and then tried the tuckable rubber loops, but lastly found that the plain old IWB rubber loops directly on the holster worked well and felt the best, to me.

Allowed easy adjustment to find that sweet spot, nice and tight to the body, and high enough to get a solid purchase of the grip during my draw. YMMV.

Also wanted to mentione something hope it's not too offtopic, the CS received from Jay has been outstanding. Take care.

Terry
03-02-10, 09:59
5'9" 145
I use the rubber loops on my Raven, with a G17.
It rides very well for me, sitting and standing.

beau1911
03-02-10, 14:14
Another skinny guy checkin' in here, beau1911. :D

I first tried the tuckable overhooks (and even experimented with different cants, etc), and then tried the tuckable rubber loops, but lastly found that the plain old IWB rubber loops directly on the holster worked well and felt the best, to me.

Allowed easy adjustment to find that sweet spot, nice and tight to the body, and high enough to get a solid purchase of the grip during my draw. YMMV.

Also wanted to mentione something hope it's not too offtopic, the CS received from Jay has been outstanding. Take care.

I started with the overhooks as well, then the offset loops but in the end im just running the plain old loops also. A little less cant than im used to, but its working out ok.