PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS Thread

Irish
12-22-09, 17:19
Let's discuss the Walther PPS and what it has to offer in terms of reliabilty, concealability, pros, cons, etc. All opinions are welcome but I'd like to get some concrete reviews and hear from some people who have some decent to high round counts through these and in particular the 9mm. Likes, dislikes, are they problematic, improvements to be made?

ccoker
12-22-09, 21:10
I had the 40 for a few months

likes: surprisingly accurate, about 400 rds, never a hickup, very thin

dislikes: trigger, despite working on it, lubing and dry firing the crap out of it, a little buffing and the trigger safety bar wore a blister on my trigger finger, I thought about trying to lightly hit it with a dremel but decided against it

I think it's a good gun, overall size is about the same as a M&P9C (bought both the same day) but of course thinner by a tad

I found the M&P much more fun to shoot and more natural
the PPS was very accurate but took more effort to get tight groups.. but, it's not a target gun of course...... for the intended purpose of a concealed carry piece it's a very good gun

ZDL
12-22-09, 21:53

ccoker
12-22-09, 22:08
let me rephrase that then
it was thinner
it wasn't 1/2 as thin, but it was thinner and noticably so, that's what attracted me to it...

manufactures have published specs

I sold it not because I was not happy with it, just something else I wanted more at the time... if I was to get another one I would get the 9 for an extra round

Paul45
12-22-09, 22:21
I have the PPS 9mm. It is about 18 months old and I have about 3000 rounds thru it. It has never failed to feed or extract. The trigger is a little heavy but it is very accurate once you understand the gun. It replaced my G26 and 27 as my main BUG. It is thin, it fits my hand, it handles well, no recoil to speak of and it works. It rides in my front left pocket as a BUG. I keep the 6 rds mag in it for size. Mags are expensive. I personally enjoy the firearm. No issues. I am looking for a good set of night sights but the originals work final for back-up. It is the only gun I have (for carry) that has not been modified or does not have a trigger job. It's OK the way it is. My main carrys are one of my 1911's or sometime a G30. I would not feel under gunned with just the PPS but I always carry a BUG (and it makes a good one)!

ChicagoTex
12-22-09, 22:24
I traded my Glock 26 (my go-to carry piece for almost two years) after getting a PPS 9mm. I've found my PPS to be staggeringly accurate, extremely controllable, and just a better fit for my large hands, even comparing the PPS with the flush baseplate to my G26 which I always carried with a +0 pearce extension.

Sights are huge and easy to read quickly (but pretty much snagproof from my experience), It's easy to pocket-carry, even easier to carry IWB or even OWB depending on my dress. I've put about 200 rounds through my PPS (admittedly still a fairly low round count), all of which have been reliable. I also love not having to worry about my magazine accidentally popping out (a problem I had with a Kahr P40 I carried for a while) and the mag release lever is extremely easy to get used to.

Two things worthy of note with the PPS platform:
1. Unsurprisingly, the 9mm seems to be a lot more reliable than the .40S&W version
2. Proper lubrication is CRUCIAL with the PPS, especially on and around the disconnector, which can inhibit trigger reset when dry. Much like an AR-15, if you lube it right, it'll treat you right.

Biggest downside: one magazine included with the gun (7rd 9mm, 6rd .40S&W), extra mags are REALLY expensive ($40-$50). I bought a 6rd when I bought my gun and it's pretty much all I use for carry, I've been wanting an 8 rounder for a while just for fun but it's hard to justify such a hefty expense on that basis.

Shadow1198
12-22-09, 22:45
I don't own one but, I've shot the 9mm version several times. As far as the way it handled, I liked it. It has relatively low recoil considering the light weight. I also like the fact it has full sized sights on it as opposed to some of those crappy miniature sights like on some small guns. I found the gun easy to shoot accurately too.

Last time I shot a 9mm PPS, I ran into a pretty serious issue. It was serious enough that it has made me rethink getting one for carry for the time being. Basically, if shooting off the reset instead of releasing the trigger all the way, sometimes the trigger would NOT reset. This happened enough times, on the single PPS I fired, to be a serious issue IMO. I researched it a bit on the Walther forums, and after looking at a schematic of the gun and reading about the apparent fix that Walther does to correct this, it sounds like the striker design (or at least the striker spring setup) is not the greatest design. I may not be correct about that, but that's the way it seemed to me. Anyways, apparently only some guns do it while others do not. Basically I think it's an issue of the trigger bar and connecting components having sort of a "gritty" fit, and then the striker return spring not being strong enough to consistently reset the trigger. I hope that makes sense.

*edit*

Lol just saw your post ChicagoTex. Guess lube on the disconnector would have probably helped a bit. If I get to shoot that gun again, I'll try that and see if it helps. Other than that issue, I think it's a pretty sweet little gun.

Rayrevolver
12-22-09, 23:09
Tad thinner? Someone needs to measure that. "Tad" in my opinion is the wrong word. It is noticeably thinner imo. That again is an opinion. I'd like to see the numbers.

Walther says the PPS is 1.04" wide. Glock 26 is 1.18" wide.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Glock26/DSC03080.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/Sigmund229P/PPS/DSCF9294.jpg

the_fallguy
12-23-09, 01:51
I am thoroughly impressed with them. The first time I ever fired one, it held its own with my P7 shot for shot. That isn't a normal occurrence for handguns in this size range.

The only reliability issue that I have noticed is that the mags need to be broken in (left loaded for at least a few weeks) or they have enough spring pressure to cause feeding issues.

ChicagoTex
12-23-09, 02:02
The only reliability issue that I have noticed is that the mags need to be broken in (left loaded for at least a few weeks) or they have enough spring pressure to cause feeding issues.

Fascinatingly enough, you're far from the first PPS owner I know who's said that, but I never personally experienced such problems with either my 6 round or 7 round magazine.

Maybe I'm just lucky? :confused:

ZDL
12-23-09, 03:08

ChicagoTex
12-23-09, 05:57
According to walther-pps.com : .91"

That's about what my calipers say aswell, even measured directly over the slide stop, I definetely get less than an inch.

nipplehead
12-23-09, 06:53
I own one in 9mm. I love the size and weight,lack of recoil and accuracy. It as feed flawlessly however after about 500 rounds I ran into an intermittant trigger reset problem. The striker is fully extended out the back of the slide when this happens. I very light touch will move it back and reset trigger. I polished all the parts in the slide associated with this, and sent it in..S&W replaced the striker. I fired another 300 rounds and it did it once more. Now I dont trust it with my life. Made my wife stop carrying it too( of course). Ended up buying her an HK2000sk.

The PPS would be my favorite warm weather gun but they have had lots of issues. Too bad gennerally German stuff works. I guess they did not r&d it well enough before release.:(

ChicagoTex
12-23-09, 07:58
I own one in 9mm. I love the size and weight,lack of recoil and accuracy. It as feed flawlessly however after about 500 rounds I ran into an intermittant trigger reset problem. The striker is fully extended out the back of the slide when this happens. I very light touch will move it back and reset trigger. I polished all the parts in the slide associated with this, and sent it in..S&W replaced the striker. I fired another 300 rounds and it did it once more. Now I dont trust it with my life. Made my wife stop carrying it too( of course).

Were you thoroughly lubing on and around the disconnector? 98% of the time failing to do so is the cause of the reset problem.

The PPS would be my favorite warm weather gun but they have had lots of issues.

What "lots of issues" are you referring to? You've only brought up the reset issue.

the_fallguy
12-23-09, 08:12
Fascinatingly enough, you're far from the first PPS owner I know who's said that, but I never personally experienced such problems with either my 6 round or 7 round magazine.

Maybe I'm just lucky? :confused:

A good friend experienced this with both the original and the extended magazines. The only round that would feed without sticking was the nickel plated Winchester Ranger ammo. All other ammo types we tried had too much drag, and exhibited wear marks on the casing where the slide rubbed against it.

The extended magazines didn't stick as much until rested on the hood of a truck in a training course. Apparently that added just enough friction to really bind things up. My buddy was ready to chuck the pistol until we figured out it was a new mag issue.

ToddG
12-23-09, 08:15
Keep in mind that when manufacturers publish a "width" for the gun, it is the largest (widest) measurement on the gun. But when it comes to concealed carry, the overall size and shape of the pistol makes a difference... especially for pocket carry.

Irish
12-23-09, 10:39
I own one in 9mm. I love the size and weight,lack of recoil and accuracy. It as feed flawlessly however after about 500 rounds I ran into an intermittant trigger reset problem. The striker is fully extended out the back of the slide when this happens. I very light touch will move it back and reset trigger. I polished all the parts in the slide associated with this, and sent it in..S&W replaced the striker. I fired another 300 rounds and it did it once more. Now I dont trust it with my life. Made my wife stop carrying it too( of course). Ended up buying her an HK2000sk.

A couple questions come to mind. Does Smith & Wesson work on the Walthers? Are you absolutely sure you know that you were polishing the proper parts and to the right degree? What about shooter induced failures?

Also, how does the magazine release work and what are people's opinions of it?

C4IGrant
12-23-09, 10:49
I traded my Glock 26 (my go-to carry piece for almost two years) after getting a PPS 9mm. I've found my PPS to be staggeringly accurate, extremely controllable, and just a better fit for my large hands, even comparing the PPS with the flush baseplate to my G26 which I always carried with a +0 pearce extension.

Sights are huge and easy to read quickly (but pretty much snagproof from my experience), It's easy to pocket-carry, even easier to carry IWB or even OWB depending on my dress. I've put about 200 rounds through my PPS (admittedly still a fairly low round count), all of which have been reliable. I also love not having to worry about my magazine accidentally popping out (a problem I had with a Kahr P40 I carried for a while) and the mag release lever is extremely easy to get used to.

Two things worthy of note with the PPS platform:
1. Unsurprisingly, the 9mm seems to be a lot more reliable than the .40S&W version
2. Proper lubrication is CRUCIAL with the PPS, especially on and around the disconnector, which can inhibit trigger reset when dry. Much like an AR-15, if you lube it right, it'll treat you right.

Biggest downside: one magazine included with the gun (7rd 9mm, 6rd .40S&W), extra mags are REALLY expensive ($40-$50). I bought a 6rd when I bought my gun and it's pretty much all I use for carry, I've been wanting an 8 rounder for a while just for fun but it's hard to justify such a hefty expense on that basis.

True. The 9mm version is really the more reliable version.

We sell the PPS for $540.

C4

Powder_Burn
12-23-09, 11:14
I have had good results with a PPS 9mm over it's first ~400 rounds or so. No malfunctions with 147gr Federal HST +P, Prvi 115gr FMJ, or 115 gr FMJ Blazer Aluminum.

Pros: Thin, comfortable, reliable, very accurate, and ultra concealable for a gun that fires a service level caliber. I usually carry this when I do not want to wear a cover garment (i.e. just running up to the grocery store). Prefer it the the j-frame it replaced. I can shoot it better than any other handgun in my inventory. Has a light rail and 6,7, & 8 round mag options. Usually pocket carry the PPS in a FIST kydex holster or IWB under a t-shirt with an MTAC. Quality seems high and detailed radius cuts and bevels all around the ejection port give me warm fuzzies. Uses a steel chassis system like the M&P. For ME, the Euro mag release is better since I have long monkey thumbs that end up riding traditional mag releases on skinny handguns. Mags have a "no tilt" follower and a slick coating on the metal.

Cons: Hideously expensive mags, draggy trigger reset at first, no 'off the rack' night sight options from the big manufacturers, requires quality lube on the 5 points listed in the owners manual. My main 'go-to' guns are M&P's and thus the mag release procedure is not identical for training. Also, there is enough chatter out there on the early production models that I would avoid them. Cheap insurance is to buy 2009 or later ("AK" stamp on slide or later).

Grant's deal is smokin' by the way - I paid $610!!!

Pic #1 compares a PPS 9mm to an M&P9c with 6 & 12 round mags inserted respectively. I placed a dime on the slide of the PPS for perspective. Pic #2 shows them with lights attached and 8 & 12 round mags inserted. The height/length is practically the same between the two - width is the real difference.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/Powder_Burn/Forum%20Posts/IMG_2529.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/Powder_Burn/Forum%20Posts/IMG_2530.jpg

nipplehead
12-23-09, 11:53
Were you thoroughly lubing on and around the disconnector? 98% of the time failing to do so is the cause of the reset problem.

Absolutley

What "lots of issues" are you referring to? You've only brought up the reset issue.

other issues were feeding and lot of trigger reset problems...even though the 40 came out later it still had problems...you would think they would fix those before release....my sources...there are a couple of walter forums. I used to have links but I got a new computer dont go there any more do a search...many guns were sent to S&W more than once and still not fixed...check it out..I would hope by now they are all working...I lost confidance in that pistol MY gun only had reset issue feeds great shots straight

ZDL
12-23-09, 13:38

nipplehead
12-23-09, 13:45
Is pocket carry the only option right now? Are holster manufactures producing models specific to the PPS? (not the one size fits most holsters)

holsters available i have comptac

Outrider
12-23-09, 16:39
Does Smith & Wesson work on the Walthers?

Smith & Wesson is the importer for Walther and handles warranty work issues for them in the US.

Also, how does the magazine release work and what are people's opinions of it?

The magazine release is integral with the trigger guard and can be activated by the trigger finger. I think it takes some getting used to if you are used to activating the mag release with your thumb. Also depending on the mag you are using (the 6 round 9mm mag is flush with the frame), you might have to shift your grip to make sure your palm isn't blocking the mag from dropping free when you eject it.

Irish
12-23-09, 16:47
Thanks Outrider.

ChicagoTex
12-23-09, 18:22
We sell the mags for $25 (FYI).

Grant, I did a search for "PPS" on your site and nothing came up. A search for "Walther" only yielded a PPK for $425.

Is there something I'm missing?

$25 is a stonking great deal, I really wish I could go back in time and throw an 8-rounder in on Monday's order - but I'd still like to know how to find it for next time.

Thanks!