PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunting with S&W M&P 15 and a helcopter

Rolo Tomasee
12-22-09, 17:45
This guy is good. Shows how a skilled shot and a fine weapon work together well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE

Buckaroo
12-22-09, 21:44
We used to hunt coyotes every morning from a fixed wing. It is truly fun.

The shooter is quite good in that video!

I'd love to hunt hogs that way!!!

Buckaroo

CarlosDJackal
12-22-09, 22:48
I can't decide if I'd rather be the shooter or the Aviator. Either way, I wish they would sell hunting packages like that. Even if it's limited to destructive species like those feral pigs.

I also hope they retrieve the meat for a nice pig roast afterwards!! ;)

CLHC
12-22-09, 23:02
That's a lot of meat! Shoot, taking a ride on that heli would be fun to boot! :cool:

Shadow1198
12-22-09, 23:07
Here's a good vid from New Zealand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZrFIcWzSEo

That dude's a pimp! At least the last few shots all looked like head shots. :cool:

cobra90gt
12-23-09, 00:17
Interesting...

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-23-09, 00:51
Forget the Somali Pirate shoots, you can't eat them! That is awesome! How big are those pigs? What do they do with the carcasses?

How can you shot sows and piglets?

It's easy, you just don't lead them so much.

ChicagoTex
12-23-09, 03:27
Gotta be honest, airborne hunting doesn't really sit right with me for strict sporting purposes.

However, both these videos are of shooters trying to reduce an out-of-control population that bears considerable harm to the surrounding ecosystem. On the grounds of necessity, rather than entertainment I'm not morally opposed to this.

I do wonder, however, if in the case of the Texas Hog problem helicopter-borne shooting is really the most cost, or even time-efficient method of population reduction.
Anyone with a thorough perspective willing to ring in on this and educate me?

As a sidenote, how the hell did goats infest the Galapagos anyway? Were assholes bringing them into the ecosystem as pranks or something?

Buckaroo
12-23-09, 08:09
Gotta be honest, airborne hunting doesn't really sit right with me for strict sporting purposes.

However, both these videos are of shooters trying to reduce an out-of-control population that bears considerable harm to the surrounding ecosystem. On the grounds of necessity, rather than entertainment I'm not morally opposed to this.

I do wonder, however, if in the case of the Texas Hog problem helicopter-borne shooting is really the most cost, or even time-efficient method of population reduction.
Anyone with a thorough perspective willing to ring in on this and educate me?

As a sidenote, how the hell did goats infest the Galapagos anyway? Were assholes bringing them into the ecosystem as pranks or something?

Aerial predator control is very common and effective due to being able to quickly locate and dispatch animals. Pilots and gunners are licensed and bounties are sometimes paid. Trapping is used effectively as well for coyotes.

Many nuisance species were brought by humans for one purpose and ended up becoming a liability when released into the wild. Hogs for example, are a food source but when they escape they quickly become feral (think house cats) and thrive quite well in many environments. I would assume that goats are an example of this problem.

Buckaroo

rjacobs
12-23-09, 10:41
My question is: did they really need to be in full up hunting camo while riding in a ****ing helicopter?

John Hearne
12-23-09, 10:58
Feral pigs are a problem on several fronts. First they reproduce incredibly quickly. To keep a pig population stable, you have to kill 80% of the animals. Most experts don't consider traditional hunting an acceptable method of population control because you simply can't kill enough pigs quickly enough. In my area, they prefer to trap as it doesn't spook the pigs like hunting does. The method shown in the video is probably effective enough to make hunting work as a strategy.

Feral pigs can also corrupt the safety of the food supply. Remember the bad salad that was killing people last year? They tracked that back to feral pigs getting into farmer's fields.

As far as camo, I suspect that its for warmth. With the doors open, it's going to be chilly.

mtdawg169
12-23-09, 11:19
I'd love to know if he was shooting .223 or something with a little more punch. Some of those pigs went down like they were hit with a truck.

Ray T
12-23-09, 11:38
I'd love to know if he was shooting .223 or something with a little more punch. Some of those pigs went down like they were hit with a truck.

I'm curious too. Was he shooting the 5.56? What loads? :confused:

dookie1481
12-23-09, 13:53
I'm curious too. Was he shooting the 5.56? What loads? :confused:

Vid said it was a S&W M&P15 which I don't believe is made in anything bigger than 5.56.

Jay

ETA: A guy on TOS who also eradicates feral hogs had some pics of hogs killed with 5.56 TAP and the wounds were absolutely devastating.

Irish
12-23-09, 14:04
MMMMMM..... BACON :D

Hope they didn't let them go to waste.

dookie1481
12-23-09, 14:10
2nd post and a couple after that one

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=283506&page=28

Rolo Tomasee
12-23-09, 14:42
(I also hope they retrieve the meat for a nice pig roast afterwards)

Buzzards gotta eat same as worms.

Shadow1198
12-23-09, 15:38
Ditto what JH said. You can't kill the bastards quick enough. I've had some friends with some land, and had acquaintances with LOTS of land, and in many areas of Texas there are some very serious problems with over-population of hogs.

dyegator
12-23-09, 19:21
Freakin amazing.

NotDylan
12-23-09, 19:35
If you read the comments, the guys in the video actually answer a few questions.

- The first half of the video was with an AK-47, from the laser onward is the AR.

- Ammo for the AR was "golden bear 62 grain hollowpoints"

- Was done mostly with iron sights except for the laser.

- They're wearing camo because it was cold and that was their warmest clothing.

- Shooter is not ex military, has just been a hunter all of his life.

Aray
12-23-09, 19:43
- Shooter is not ex military, has just been a hunter all of his life.

Can't be, I read on the internet that Fudds can't shoot.

OneUp
12-23-09, 19:47
Can't be, I read on the internet that Fudds can't shoot.

LOL... No, they can they just have to take a carbine course every other weekend :D

jaydoc1
12-23-09, 21:17
Friend of mine from south Texas says that when those porkers top 150 lbs that they are practically inedible. Shame.

Buckaroo
12-23-09, 22:05
Friend of mine from south Texas says that when those porkers top 150 lbs that they are practically inedible. Shame.

I wonder why that is?

Buckaroo

nutnless220
12-23-09, 22:17

jwfuhrman
12-23-09, 22:31
Ferral Hogs are nothing more than regular Hogs that have turned wild. They are not the Wild Boars many think of. Hell we use 22Mag when we butcher to put them down.

jaydoc1
12-23-09, 22:45
I wonder why that is?

Buckaroo

No idea. And to be honest I didn't even think to ask him why. I can see why grazing patterns would affect the taste of the meat but I'm not sure why the hog size would change the way the meat tastes.

Buckaroo
12-24-09, 05:47
No idea. And to be honest I didn't even think to ask him why. I can see why grazing patterns would affect the taste of the meat but I'm not sure why the hog size would change the way the meat tastes.

I would think that chasing them for any distance would have more effect on the meat.

Buckaroo

jaydoc1
12-24-09, 06:57
Agreed, but he ambushes them over bait so there's no running at all. The little ones he shoots he eats. The big ones he makes a pile and then shoots coyotes off of them at night with NVG.

Man sometimes it would be nice to live in Texas! :D

C-Fish
12-24-09, 08:19
My question is: did they really need to be in full up hunting camo while riding in a ****ing helicopter?

Yes, if you don't, once you land the other hogs will find you...
Big Boar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwK_1SFE_8&feature=related)

Buckaroo
12-24-09, 09:55
Agreed, but he ambushes them over bait so there's no running at all. The little ones he shoots he eats. The big ones he makes a pile and then shoots coyotes off of them at night with NVG.

Man sometimes it would be nice to live in Texas! :D

I would love that setup but I would never get any sleep! Hogs in the morning, hog roasting in the afternoon, and coyotes at night! Might not even have time to have a beer!

Buckaroo

Aray
12-24-09, 09:56
I wonder why that is?

Buckaroo

As is the case with many animals, as they age and grow larger, the meat becomes tougher and more "gamey". Gender also matters, male animals usually have a stronger flavor. If you harvest two deer, for example, a 2 yr old doe and compare the meat to a 5 yr old buck, there is a huge difference in taste and consistency.

Most beef cattle are butchered around their first birthday, Angus for example; and only slow developing cattle like Simmental are harvested around their 2nd birthday. Veal is generally only weeks old.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes, I am a fast roping, tango zapping Fudd.

mil_dot556
12-24-09, 11:03

;)exactly1

Buckaroo
12-24-09, 11:32
As is the case with many animals, as they age and grow larger, the meat becomes tougher and more "gamey". Gender also matters, male animals usually have a stronger flavor. If you harvest two deer, for example, a 2 yr old doe and compare the meat to a 5 yr old buck, there is a huge difference in taste and consistency.

Most beef cattle are butchered around their first birthday, Angus for example; and only slow developing cattle like Simmental are harvested around their 2nd birthday. Veal is generally only weeks old.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes, I am a fast roping, tango zapping Fudd.

Sure, I had a brain fart obviously.

I hunt so little that I sometimes forget the basics.

Buckaroo

yallknowho
12-24-09, 12:58
that's not hunting.

Soggybottomboy
12-25-09, 15:44
that's not hunting.

Hell no! Hunting is days, weeks, months of preparation and dedication. Followed by possibly the same amount of duldrum in hopes of taking game. Which is a great reward if you are lucky enough to harvest your quarry.

^THAT^ just f*cking ROCKS!!!!

SBB

CarlosDJackal
12-25-09, 16:05
...I do wonder, however, if in the case of the Texas Hog problem helicopter-borne shooting is really the most cost, or even time-efficient method of population reduction...

If you can come up with an alternate way to be able to take out a half-dozen or more feral hogs that can run that fast in one trip, I bet the farmers who pay these guys a pretty penny would be very interested in hearing about it.

CarlosDJackal
12-25-09, 16:07
that's not hunting.

I agree. I'd call it 'Airborne Culling' than hunting. I'll choose that over hunting anyday!! :p

RetreatHell
12-25-09, 22:46
That looks like some of the most fun to be had EVER while killing nasty ass, smelly hogs!! Damn I would love to have the chance to do that! I wouldn't exactly call it hunting either, more like just a damn good time with a carbine, a helo, lots of hogs and plenty of ammunition!:D

Hell, I still have 2 large pieces of a hog I killed from like 7-8 months ago in my freezer. It was a little bit larger than I would've liked, but I didn't realize until after I killed it and saw it up close. So it doesn't taste as good as a younger, smaller hog would have, hence the reason I still have some of it just sitting in the ice box this long afterwards.

They're real fun to shoot, though! Thanks for posting this vid, man.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

scott7339
12-26-09, 00:57
That was some good shootin.

jaydoc1
12-26-09, 10:18
Hunting=Pursuing a lovely young female for days, weeks, even months for the possible chance of eventually getting some sack time with her.

This video=Walking into a supermodel convention and having every one of them strip naked simultaneously and tackle you as you walk through the door.

While both would be enjoyable...well I think you get my point. :D

mtdawg169
12-26-09, 23:35
OK, so it's not hunting, so what? The video clearly states that it was a pest control program. If you've ever spent weeks planting a field or food plot for deer & turkey just to have it bulldozed & destroyed by a group of wild hogs, then you will probably delight in seeing this video. Feral hogs are not a native game species, they are invasive pests. I freakin' hate wild hogs. Shoot 'em every chance I get. The little ones go into the smoker, big ones become coyote bait.