PDA

View Full Version : AK build ?

kbi
03-16-07, 13:51
Ive been looking at krink kits and wanted to know other then buying a AK receiver from a reputable dealer would I be getting in over my head on a AK build?

Or should I just send/take the kit and receiver to someone who is experienced in putting one together and let them do it?

After Ive registered the receiver as a SBR :D

TOrrock
03-16-07, 14:22
Building an AK isn't like building an AR, which is almost like playing with Leggo blocks.

You'll need at least a 12 ton press, and some help from someone with experience.

If you go to the BIY forum on AKForum.net, and ask for help, you'll get it. There are several guys from VA there who can help you.

Honestly, I'd send it off to a reputable builder......I'm not mechanically inclined at all.

kbi
03-16-07, 14:41
By Templar :There are several guys from VA there who can help you.

Honestly, I'd send it off to a reputable builder

Your probably right on the builder part and that would be the best way to go if I decide to make a sbr AK in the near future .

What is involved sending a registered sbr reciever and kit to a reputable dealer to be bulit?

Paper work?

And they have to be a SOT/class 3 dealer correct ?

At the moment though its just a distant idea for me. Whenever I do have a AK I tend on not holding onto them for too long but a Krink would be different for once .

Just muttering for now

h8mtv
03-16-07, 18:56
I would contact Doug at SSG. If you need help on a build I'd be happy to help.

kbi
03-17-07, 06:51
SSG

Do they have a site?

TOrrock
03-17-07, 09:30
SSG

Do they have a site?

Should be www.ssgknives.com

kbi
03-17-07, 10:06
[homer]DOH!!

Ok now I know who you are talking about. When I use to go to show's like Bealton(god that was long ago) and the dulles expo he had all the neat HK and class 3 goodies under the glass displays with the red liner's.

I see he sell's SBR ak's but he doesnt build them does he?

I was at K-var and ORF site a while ago looking at the kit's and wow the kit at
K-var got $$$$$ but they have a good selection of kit's(whats in stock) but the AK-74 bulgarian side folders at ORF just got my attention $400.00 .

It would be different from a .30cal ak for once and the kit price plus all the other needed parts wouldnt be so bad.

TOrrock
03-17-07, 10:09
Doug has them built locally, by a guy I know who does good work.

If you now decide to go with a full size 5.45mm, go with the best kit that ORF has, and a DCI receiver.

While "krinks" have a huge CDI factor...........the full size rifles are MUCH more practical.

h8mtv
03-17-07, 12:24
Dougs guy is GOOD. He taught me.

troy
04-02-07, 06:47
dpharms.com has a cant pass up selection of Romanian kits for $100 and they are friendly.

Shot gun news carried the add.

PS what's a ORF and a DCI?

thanks.

TOrrock
04-02-07, 07:32
dpharms.com has a cant pass up selection of Romanian kits for $100 and they are friendly.

Shot gun news carried the add.

PS what's a ORF and a DCI?

thanks.

ORF = http://www.ohiorapidfire.com/

DCI = Dan Coonan Industries, makers of just about the best US stamped AK receivers and available through http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

troy
04-04-07, 01:45
Those two sites were most beautiful.

I am indebted.

That saved me the Mint.

xenophobe
04-04-07, 08:04
You'll need at least a 12 ton press, and some help from someone with experience.

You don't need a press at all unless you plan on pulling the barrel off the trunion.

You can get a DC Industries receiver, a parts kit, and build a rivet tool by modifying bolt cutters.

With good mechanical skills, a novice should be able to rebuild a kit on a new DC Industries receiver, but it will be a project, that's for sure.

Just make sure you have the correct receiver for the parts kit that you've got and comply with 922(r) and play the US Compliance parts/number game.

h8mtv
04-04-07, 10:59
Any how do you plan on riveting the trunnion with bolt cutters without removing the barrel? :confused:

xenophobe
04-04-07, 13:24
Any how do you plan on riveting the trunnion with bolt cutters without removing the barrel? :confused:

I'm not sure as I haven't built one. Perhaps you should ask the question on calguns.net. Many people have done it without removing the barrel.

Bulldog1967
04-04-07, 19:00
I'm not sure as I haven't built one. Perhaps you should ask the question on calguns.net. Many people have done it without removing the barrel.

Only if you are doing a screw build. :rolleyes:

h8mtv
04-04-07, 19:03
Only with U-drives and screws. If you'd like a good source of info check out Akforum.net.

If you want a quality build you need to remove the barrel and use real rivets.