PDA

View Full Version : I need a sling, what do I need to know?

S391
12-23-09, 11:44
The only thing missing from my AR set up is a sling but I see so many different types on the market that it gets a bit crazy.

What do you folks run and why? My thinking is that I want something that mounts to one point on the rear of the gun but I'm curious about the pros and cons of running this type of a set up.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Steve

Business_Casual
12-23-09, 11:47
I use the Vickers sling. Larry knows a lot more than me so I listen to him. Check out BlueForce Gear, a sponsor here.

M_P

maximus83
12-23-09, 11:53
A lot of people are running 2-point slings. I also am running the Vickers Combat Application Sling (VCAS), which is a 2-pt that is pretty popular; a number of the VCAS slings are listed on this page at Bravo Company USA:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Larry-Vickers-Tactical-Gear-s/106.htm

S391
12-23-09, 11:59
thank you! I'll take a look at the links provided and see what I like. The idea of a 2-point sling makes a lot of sense and the VTAC looks pretty slick. However, Larry Vickers does know what he's talking about so I'm going to take a look at his as well.

Merry Christmas,
Steve

kwrangln
12-23-09, 12:37
Check out Boonie Packer. I just got their quick adjust 2point and am very happy with the quality. Quick adjusts with no free hanging tail, and the best part is the cost, $16.

Give it a shot before dropping 3x as much cash on a sling you may or may not like.

http://www.redi-mag.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=10&idcategory=7

rob_s
12-23-09, 12:43
Check out Boonie Packer. I just got their quick adjust 2point and am very happy with the quality. Quick adjusts with no free hanging tail, and the best part is the cost, $16.

Give it a shot before dropping 3x as much cash on a sling you may or may not like.

That's a good point, and one I forget about too often. I have a boatload of expensive slings, but I also have a Boonie Packer 2-point on my BCM carbine and it works great. If you go this route make sure you get the 1.25" version and not the 1.5". It's a great way to test out the two-point concept before going with a more expensive version and you may find that you never need to "upgrade".

ForTehNguyen
12-23-09, 12:49
I like the Magpul MS2 sling since you can convert from single point to two point and its reasonably priced.

single point is the most agile for combat (shoulder transitions, etc), but uncomfortable for carrying
two point is less agile in combat but more comfortable for carrying.

maximus83
12-23-09, 12:54

Good post--have never heard of these but they look interesting. Thanks!

maximus83
12-23-09, 12:55
That's a good point, and one I forget about too often. I have a boatload of expensive slings, but I also have a Boonie Packer 2-point on my BCM carbine and it works great. If you go this route make sure you get the 1.25" version and not the 1.5". It's a great way to test out the two-point concept before going with a more expensive version and you may find that you never need to "upgrade".

What is your "favorite" among all your slings, and why?

kwrangln
12-23-09, 12:55

Why the 1.25 vs the 1.5? I went with the 1.5 and it works just fine. The adjustment section is still 1.25, just the shoulder portion that you don't adjust after initial fitting is 1.5. Fits the standard 1.25 hardware just fine. My thought was the wider the portion actually hanging on your shoulder the less it will cut in after hanging there for a while.

Care to share your thoughts on the matter?

rob_s
12-23-09, 13:52
Why the 1.25 vs the 1.5? I went with the 1.5 and it works just fine. The adjustment section is still 1.25, just the shoulder portion that you don't adjust after initial fitting is 1.5. Fits the standard 1.25 hardware just fine. My thought was the wider the portion actually hanging on your shoulder the less it will cut in after hanging there for a while.

Care to share your thoughts on the matter?

I don't think I have the pictures handy, but the 1.5" sling has an attachment method on the stock end (and maybe the other end too), where it has a short piece of narrower webbing, that I don't like. The 1.25" version threads through the stock swivels the same way the BFG VCAS does which I prefer as it gives more adjustment and mounting options.

rob_s
12-23-09, 13:57
What is your "favorite" among all your slings, and why?

BFG Vickers. It can be modified to work in 1-to-2-point like the Magpul and do it better than the Magpul does, It can be had padded or un-padded, the webbing is a nice, stiff, sturdy material that doesn't fray, the connection points are easy to deal with, standard, and many different methods are available, the adjustment is smooth and easy and does not result in a free-running tail dangling all over creation, and in the Victory version it can be had for a pretty reasonable price (<$30).

I like consistency. My modified 1-point VCAS otherwise works just like the 2-point I use on another rifle, which works just like the Victory I have on my AK, which works just like the padded integral QD sling I have on my heavy gun(s).

USMC03
12-23-09, 14:02
You may find this useful:

http://www.03designgroup.com/photo/tactical-slings-for-the-carbine/icon-tactical-slings.jpg
03designgroup | Tactical Slings For The Carbine http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/tactical-slings-for-the-carbine)

kwrangln
12-23-09, 14:03
I don't think I have the pictures handy, but the 1.5" sling has an attachment method on the stock end (and maybe the other end too), where it has a short piece of narrower webbing, that I don't like. The 1.25" version threads through the stock swivels the same way the BFG VCAS does which I prefer as it gives more adjustment and mounting options.

Maybe they changed designs, or I have a different version. I'll take some pics to show the one I have in a little bit.

rob_s
12-23-09, 14:18
Maybe they changed designs, or I have a different version. I'll take some pics to show the one I have in a little bit.

Here's how the 1.5" attaches. I can't begin to tell you how much I hate that 1" tail that's attached on the end, and the fact that many swivels/slots won't take a 1.5" webbing so I couldn't shove it through if I wanted to, and how that stitched-in metal tri-glide gets on my nerves.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/BP%20Slings/BooniePacker1.jpg

If you like yours and are happy with it, and/or if they changed the design since I complained about mine, then so be it. I think that the 1.25" version is more versatile and will fit a broader range of mounting points and offers a broader range of adjustment.

Blitzm4
12-23-09, 14:19
Does anyone use the La Rue Tactical Padded Sling? I think this is Vickers with the buckles and the 1.25 QD releases included. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? Or should I purchase the VCAS padded with the QD attachments included.

joshua79109
12-23-09, 14:33
My 3 favorite

- Urban ERT (as a 2 point)

- VCAS

- VTAC

Good Luck

kwrangln
12-23-09, 14:52
Wow, that is a lot different Rob, I can see not likeing that setup.

Here's mine. Please excuse the extra material, I'm not cutting and heat sealing until I have played with it for a while to make sure it's adjusted exactly how I want it. For the time being the extra is rolled and velcro strapped to keep it out of the way.

Front attachment, 1.25" webbing.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/sling01.jpg

Quick adjust buckles on front portion of sling.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/sling02.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/sling03.jpg

Transition to 1.5" webbing at the end of the quick adjust front portion of sling.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/sling04.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/sling05.jpg

And finally the butt stock attachment with the 1.5" webbing.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/sling06.jpg

The rear of the sling actually threads through the QC sling swivel and doubles back to a buckle right behind the transition from 1.25" to 1.5", so the portion that runs across the shoulder is two thicknesses of webbing. Once I'm dead set on how I want this thing adjusted I'll probably throw a couple stitches in the back portion to keep the pieces of webbing from seperating.

If you have any suggestions to better adjust or configure this thing, I'm all ears since you have a lot more experience with tac slings than I do. So far it feels pretty good, but I'm still getting used to it, in the past I've only ever run standard combat type slings.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/new%20ar%20build/newar24.jpg

maximus83
12-23-09, 14:57
BFG Vickers. It can be modified to work in 1-to-2-point like the Magpul and do it better than the Magpul does, It can be had padded or un-padded, the webbing is a nice, stiff, sturdy material that doesn't fray, the connection points are easy to deal with, standard, and many different methods are available, the adjustment is smooth and easy and does not result in a free-running tail dangling all over creation, and in the Victory version it can be had for a pretty reasonable price (<$30).

I like consistency. My modified 1-point VCAS otherwise works just like the 2-point I use on another rifle, which works just like the Victory I have on my AK, which works just like the padded integral QD sling I have on my heavy gun(s).

Thanks. [Edited: Disregard the question, I realize now you were not saying the Victory model was padded, you were speaking in general of the various Vickers models, some of which have padded options, like the VCAS].

maximus83
12-23-09, 15:01
I've always been curious, what is the REAL difference between the VCAS and VTAC versions, aside from the company labels? Is the VCAS worth the extra premium, or is the VTAC 'good enough'?

dyegator
12-23-09, 19:24
I like the Magpul MS2 sling since you can convert from single point to two point and its reasonably priced.

single point is the most agile for combat (shoulder transitions, etc), but uncomfortable for carrying
two point is less agile in combat but more comfortable for carrying.

+1

Works great with the ASAP plate.

rob_s
12-23-09, 19:52
I've always been curious, what is the REAL difference between the VCAS and VTAC versions, aside from the company labels? Is the VCAS worth the extra premium, or is the VTAC 'good enough'?

Videos from BFG on the VCAS (http://www.youtube.com/user/burnseda#p/u)

Video from Viking Tactics on the VTAC (http://www.youtube.com/user/VikingTactics#p/u/9/BRDfpz1OKaQ)

The biggest differnce is that the VCAS has a captured adjustment that has no lagging tail but also therefore limits adjustment. the VTAC has more adjustment but also has a dangling tail hanging off the sling.

As stated above, I prefer the VCAS slings.

RogerinTPA
12-23-09, 20:28

I own both. The older VCAS sling, non padded ones first, then padded, then a couple of VTAC slings. I like the single adjustable slider tab on the VCAS slings over the two adjustable points on the VTAC. I also like the wider sling and better quality of the VCAS, over the thinner webbing used by VTAC. The "dangling" loose sling piece, has been addressed on the VTAC, by a "break away" Velcro sling keeper, but it can still be a snag hazard to your kit mounted on your belt. It's simply a matter of preference though. I prefer quality, simplicity and efficiency in things gear related. The VCAS sling is more efficient, has a simple adjustable tab, and better quality, IMHO.

S391
12-23-09, 21:57
Has anyone ever used the Blackhawk Storm XT single point sling? Our local SWAT team uses them and the guys seem to be pretty happy with them..... Anyone have any feedback?

Thanks once again, great stuff.

QuietShootr
12-23-09, 22:33
I'm going to buck the trend here and say UERT: www.urbanertslings.com. Very high quality product, made by an obsessive compulsive quality nut. I met him because of his slings, and now I'm proud to call him a friend - and I still think his slings and gear are top-notch. All USA made components, assembled right here in Indiana by hand.

Check him out.

(I get NO remuneration financial or otherwise. I'm just very impressed with the product.)

S391
12-23-09, 23:27
Once again, thank you all very much for the info. I love this group!

I found another thread with a link to www.ikickhippies.com and their really cool endplate... I think I'm going to have to order one if for no other reason than their name makes me laugh.

Iraq Ninja
12-24-09, 04:04
I am going to take a different stance on this subject.

I mainly use slings in two point configurations.

I find the Vickers sling too bulky and stiff for my applications. It is great for crew served weapons and situations where you need an uber strong sling for alternate uses.

I love the Emdom-MM sling. Very lightweight and you don't even notice it. The adjuster is rocket fast and holds well. I wish I hadn't left it CONUS.

I just switched out a black Magpul sling for a tan one here at work. The darn tubing keeps binding up in the gold metal slider when I try to adjust the length. I didn't have that problem with the black version. It is obvious that the tubing/strap has too much free space and turns onto itself, causing the binding.

To me, combing the Emdom sling with the Magpul design is perfection in my environment.

rob_s
12-24-09, 06:23
I find the Vickers sling too bulky and stiff for my applications. It is great for crew served weapons and situations where you need an uber strong sling for alternate uses.

That stiffness is one of the things I love most about the VCAS. That and the simplicity of it. I find that a lot of these two-point sling designs are trying too hard. IMHO if you need 4 sizes of webbing, some padding, 8 types of buckles, and a partridge in a pear tree to make the sling, you're doing it wrong.

To the OP, as you're probably noticing, sling choice is a lot like holster choice. Some of it has to do with body-type, some of it has to do with end-use, and a lot of it has to do with nothing having to do with logic or reason whatsoever. Iraq Ninja isn't wrong, Quietshooter isn't wrong, and neither am I. We all have and like what we think works best for us in our given situations and with our given rifles.

I think, as posted above, the best route would be for you to pick up one of the 1.25" Boonie Packer 2-points and see how you like the concept, then figure out if you think the VCAS, VTAC, or hundreds of copies do something for you that the BP doesn't.

On a side note, getting out and shooting in matches and classes is a great way to build your skills, test your gear, and to get to finger-**** and try out a lot of gear that other people are using.

mrbieler
12-24-09, 09:04
I have the Emdom Gunslinger on my two carbines. I use them two point, but have lock jaw snaps on them so in theory I could use them as single point, but haven't used them that way yet.

The front is mounted to the QD on the rail just in front of the receiver. The rear on a DD QD at the rear of the receiver. The rifle hangs nicely when I drop it for hands free or my pistol.

I like the light weight and ease of adjustment. They seem very well made, though I've only had them for a little while. I moved the BFG slings that were on the carbines over to my FAL's. They are nice as well, but I prefer the feel of the Gunslinger and how the rifle handles for me.

Iraq Ninja
12-24-09, 10:33
Rob is right.

It is all about what function your sling will serve. For most of our readers, it is about shooting and fighting.

For me, it is way down on the list of priorities. More than often, I need to secure the weapon to me in a way that is available, yet out of the way. Changing tires, trauma management, etc are more common than having to shoot something.

Back in the Rangers, we were not allowed to use slings. They saw slings as a crutch used to hang the rifle from ones body.

When I shoot with a sling, I don't want to know it is there until I need it.

mil_dot556
12-24-09, 10:54
THere are so many slings, but the best setup for any carbine is a single point. It makes it extremely versatile from weapon side to reaction side, it's not tangling infront by your reaction hand, and there's less fabric to deal with. Best thing to do is just research single point slings, such as the Magpul MS2, with the Magpul Asap.

S391
12-24-09, 11:11
THere are so many slings, but the best setup for any carbine is a single point. It makes it extremely versatile from weapon side to reaction side, it's not tangling infront by your reaction hand, and there's less fabric to deal with. Best thing to do is just research single point slings, such as the Magpul MS2, with the Magpul Asap.

Thanks, I like the look of both and I'm hoping to find someone who has one so I can play with it. I like the idea of a single point sling....

rob_s
12-24-09, 13:07

counterpoint...

Anyone that follows training and has for years knows that this whole "lateral transition" or "weak side shooting" or "support side" or "reaction side" comes and goes in and out of fashion. Those that don't know their history think they came up with a great new idea and call it something new. These days it appears to be in style, but I'm sure the pendulum will swing back the other way soon enough. My take is that the VAST majority of shooters I see attempting this nonsense would be far better off concentrating on getting their hits strong side before worrying about working from the other shoulder. No amount of DVD-watching will teach you how to actually shoot from that side, but I see a lot of guys that have practiced the hell out of it in front of the mirror at home and sure do look good anyway.

The problem with stressing this "reaction side" business is that shooters lose focus; they aren't good enough strong side to merit worrying about the other side, and then they start choosing gear (like slings ;) ) based on this perceived need to do something they frankly shouldn't be worried about to begin with and wind up having a product that they can't take advantage of the positives but that slaps them in the nuts (literally, in the case of one-point slings) with the negatives. and this notion that a two-point sling is somehow such a liability in lateral transitions to begin with is rather comical and way overblown.

AnimalMother556
12-24-09, 13:21
counterpoint...

Anyone that follows training and has for years knows that this whole "lateral transition" or "weak side shooting" or "support side" or "reaction side" comes and goes in and out of fashion. Those that don't know their history think they came up with a great new idea and call it something new. These days it appears to be in style, but I'm sure the pendulum will swing back the other way soon enough. My take is that the VAST majority of shooters I see attempting this nonsense would be far better off concentrating on getting their hits strong side before worrying about working from the other shoulder. No amount of DVD-watching will teach you how to actually shoot from that side, but I see a lot of guys that have practiced the hell out of it in front of the mirror at home and sure do look good anyway.

The problem with stressing this "reaction side" business is that shooters lose focus; they aren't good enough strong side to merit worrying about the other side, and then they start choosing gear (like slings ;) ) based on this perceived need to do something they frankly shouldn't be worried about to begin with and wind up having a product that they can't take advantage of the positives but that slaps them in the nuts (literally, in the case of one-point slings) with the negatives. and this notion that a two-point sling is somehow such a liability in lateral transitions to begin with is rather comical and way overblown.

+1 QFT

Failure2Stop
12-24-09, 13:29
A sling can serve many different functions, and unfortunately each design is limited to certain applications, some more specific and/or restrictive than others.

If you simply need something to keep the gun attached to your body and the muzzle out of the mud while you paste targets or jam mags, pretty much anything will work, so whatever is the cheapest solution available will probably make the user the happiest. Anything from traditional 2-point web/drill slings to the most complicated 3-point will achieve that aim.

If you need to use a sling to move through an enclosure shooting stuff with a realistic need for shoulder transistions and a need to transition to a secondary weapon, a single-point or an evolved 2-point will be the best choice.

If you need to carry a gun around and have a high probability of needing two hands to perform certain duties or actions without a gun bouncing off of your nethers, an evolved 2-point or some 3-points will work the best.

If you want to use a sling as a marksmanship aid, employing the sling as either a "hasty sling" or "loop sling", you will be most benefitted by a web sling or a puropse-specific cuffed (or cuffable) sling.

If you want something to do all the jobs well, a modern 2-point will work the best, depending on how you mount it to the gun.
I have used them all, so when I say that a tactical 2-point works the best it is from years of experience with all of these sling options, and of course I mean that they are the best in my opinion for my needs.

glocktogo
12-24-09, 18:20

Yep. When they started holding "practical" rifle matches in my area the MD was specifying left handed shooting positions. I asked him if he meant left shoulder and he said whatever. No one was doing shoulder transitions until they saw me do it. Watching them try it for the first time was almost comical. There were shooters literally standing there in firing position for double digit seconds trying to find their dots and irons so they could even fire! Now lots of them are doing it and pretty well for the most part.

Oh, and I'm doing those transitions with a VCAS 2 point, which I think is an extremely versatile sling.

Failure2Stop
12-25-09, 06:45
Let's take support/weak side shooting to another thread if anyone wants to continue the discussion.

Merry Christmas.

HeavyDuty
12-30-09, 16:17
Here's how the 1.5" attaches. I can't begin to tell you how much I hate that 1" tail that's attached on the end, and the fact that many swivels/slots won't take a 1.5" webbing so I couldn't shove it through if I wanted to, and how that stitched-in metal tri-glide gets on my nerves.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/BP%20Slings/BooniePacker1.jpg

If you like yours and are happy with it, and/or if they changed the design since I complained about mine, then so be it. I think that the 1.25" version is more versatile and will fit a broader range of mounting points and offers a broader range of adjustment.

Rob, will that stitched-in buckle fit through the sling slot on that Magpul? I have a few MOEs that I'd like to try with these but the Boonie Packer website leads me to believe they won't fit without modification.

To me it's potentially an elegant way of attaching a sling to a stock with minimal hardware to fail.

S391
01-04-10, 22:27
Well, I kicked a hippie :) I ordered the plate late last week Wednesday and I got an email by noon on Thursday (New Year's Eve) telling me that it had shipped. I installed it on the gun tonight and I think it will do just what I need it to do. I'll post a follow up as soon as the sling arrives and a I get a chance to take it out to the range.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/IMG_1436.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/IMG_1447.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/IMG_1448.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/IMG_1450.jpg

rob_s
01-05-10, 04:56
Rob, will that stitched-in buckle fit through the sling slot on that Magpul? I have a few MOEs that I'd like to try with these but the Boonie Packer website leads me to believe they won't fit without modification.

To me it's potentially an elegant way of attaching a sling to a stock with minimal hardware to fail.

No, it will not. that is, however, the larger sized sling. Get the 1.25" and you'll have no trouble attaching it.

HeavyDuty
01-05-10, 08:22
No, it will not. that is, however, the larger sized sling. Get the 1.25" and you'll have no trouble attaching it.

Actually mine does fit. I wonder if something changed?

I bought three Boonie Packers based on kwrangln's comments - a pair of TQA two points (one plain 1.25" which looks like kwranglin's and a 1.5 with the M4 stock connector like what you pictured) and a single point. The tail with the buckle that you hate is the M4 stock connector option.

The 1.25" TQA went on a retro carbine with a traditional CAR stock and Colt-style side FSB sling loop. I threaded the rear through the built-in stock slots because I didn't need QD capability for this carbine. It works very well.

I used the 1.5" TQA on my lightweight flattop. I mounted an HK hook on the front and used the M4 stock connector tail with my MOE stock - it fit through the diagonal slot with no problems, then I threaded the tail through the buckle to keep it in place as mentioned in the instructions. I like this idea - it's very close to QD with no extra hardware, a clean, elegant solution to the problem.

So far I like both of these based on in-house experimentation. I'll know more as I get deeper into it, but to be honest a more expensive sling would be lost on me right now.

rob_s
01-05-10, 08:50
HD I think maybe it did change, or it's a different model.

I've gone back and forth with Boonie Packer on several of their sling designs and one of the things I wish they'd do is consolidate their product line. I have to admit that I find their sling page somewhat daunting and confusing, and also difficult to find a direct link to a specific product when I want to direct someone to it.

There's also the fact that all of the BP slings I've received have been for T&E, so I haven't actually had to do the ordering, they just appear in the mailbox. I may, therefore, be getting my models confused. I do know that I have one sling that is 1.5" wide with odd connectors on the ends that I do not like, and one that is 1.25" wide with no connectors that I really like. How's that for confusing? :D

HeavyDuty
01-05-10, 09:02
I agree their website doesn't do much for explaining the product! I'll try and take pics tonight of what I got labeled with what I ordered.

faithmyeyes
01-05-10, 11:20
If you want to use a sling as a marksmanship aid, employing the sling as either a "hasty sling" or "loop sling", you will be most benefited by a web sling or a purpose-specific cuffed (or cuffable) sling.

If you want something to do all the jobs well, a modern 2-point will work the best, depending on how you mount it to the gun.
I have used them all, so when I say that a tactical 2-point works the best it is from years of experience with all of these sling options, and of course I mean that they are the best in my opinion for my needs.

I'm about to buy a modern 2-point, probably a VCAS, for general use on my AR, but I'm wanting to learn the hasty/loop sling-shooting techniques as well. Can a modern 2-point be used effectively for that?

Failure2Stop
01-05-10, 23:31
I'm about to buy a modern 2-point, probably a VCAS, for general use on my AR, but I'm wanting to learn the hasty/loop sling-shooting techniques as well. Can a modern 2-point be used effectively for that?

Depending on how you mount it, yes.
If you mount it toward the muzzle end of the HG it can be used as a hasty sling.
The problem is that the gun will be pulled away from vertical when hands-free.
That is why most users mount the sling close to the receiver on the HG- stability when hands-free. Moving the sling attachment point closer to the receiver greatly reduces the effectiveness of the sling as a stability aid.
The problem is that you can't really use an in-between position, as it will interfere with grip and the ability to use ancilliary equipment and still not do much more as a stability aid anyway.

The loop sling technique can be used with a modern 2-point but not nearly as well as a dedicated, purpose built sling with an integrated cuff and/or ability to alter the sling from a transportation device to a stability aid. Hasty slings can be really nice, but the technique was bred from bulls-eye competitions and their rules which prohibits the shooter from using a magazine rested position, which gives excellent result (as can good use of a bipod). If I was in a position where I needed to make a high precision shot over significant distance and I had a choice between trying to make a loop sling to deploying a bipod, I would go with the bipod, unless I was confined to a kneeling or sitting position, in which case a hasty sling would probably suit me just fine, especially if time was an issue.

There are lots of people out there with background in service rifle competition that should be able to get you moving on the techniques. Be careful with what you take on board and what you discard, the goal is generally to carefully balance speed and precision and avoid limiting the items on a weapon to a certain specific application and rather to ensure that those items support the whole mission.

tommy5.56
01-06-10, 07:38
There are many out there. They all have pros and cons. It's all boiled down to personal preference and what your application for it.

I still can't find my all time favorite yet, but been playing with the Magpul MS2 alot lately. I just love the single to 2 points conversion on the fly, comfortable of the material they use, but I can't stand the gator clip.

Like others said pick the sling that will fit your application, play with it and train with it.

orionz06
01-06-10, 11:52
having minimal experience with a sling at all, I have spent some time at home playing with a Vickers 2 pt and I feel pretty confident that the mounting options on my gun and the sling itself allow for pretty much anything. I have a CTR stock, noveske QD plate, and a larue ff handguard. This gives me left and right hand mounting, as well as two options for the rear. If later I feel the need to extend the mount on the rail up further, it is only a small purchase. Watching some videos of e-soldiers on youtube and some of the vickers videos on Blue Force has showed me many ways to us the advanced 2pt, and I havent had issues doing anything shown.

My vote goes for advanced 2pt with QD on both ends. Adding the QD endplate it a small price for down the road functionality, even if its never used.

Spiff_AR
01-06-10, 14:48
I've been considering picking up the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling with the sewn in QD buttons and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this, especially in terms of durability. Thanks in advance.

Failure2Stop
01-06-10, 15:05
I've been considering picking up the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling with the sewn in QD buttons and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this, especially in terms of durability. Thanks in advance.

They are rated very highly.
I recommend the padded version with the Acetal adjuster.

45mike
01-06-10, 20:10
Great thread lots to think about. Thanks everyone for the input.