PDA

View Full Version : Middys

markman
12-23-09, 18:54
I was just on the EE Uppers and there were 4 middy uppers for sale on the first page. I always thought I'd like to have one. Is there something about them that people don't care for?

Palmguy
12-23-09, 19:04
From what I've seen around here, middies are preferred to carbines when in the 16" length. I see no downsides to them...a tad more weight but more docile recoil impulse, more room on the handguards for your hands and for other stuff, more balanced feel...

M16MANIAC
12-23-09, 19:11
Yeah I think the middy is still very popular, I know I stll dig em.

ForTehNguyen
12-23-09, 19:24
Middys have so much advantages over a carbine. There is little to no advantage that a carbine has over a middy, unless you view mounting an M203 as an advantage. I only own middys for 16" systems. Reduced recoil (it is very noticeable), longer sight radius, 17k psi gas tube pressure vs 26k carbine (rifle is 13k), lower bolt velocity benefiting extraction, and it looks better IMO.

From what I've seen around here, middies are preferred to carbines when in the 16" length. I see no downsides to them...a tad more weight but more docile recoil impulse, more room on the handguards for your hands and for other stuff, more balanced feel...

actually if the middy barrel is govt profile it should be slightly lighter than a govt profile carbine. There is more machining down of the barrel under the handguard.

Bubba FAL
12-24-09, 01:03
IMO, the only downside to the middy is that Magpul doesn't make a MOE handguard for this length...yet.

Can't speak for other calibers (besides 5.56), but for a 6.8, the middy is pretty much the minimum recommended length in a DI gun, as they can be problematic with a carbine-length gas system.

ForTehNguyen
12-24-09, 08:44
yea i know, I really want a middy MOE handguard :(

C4IGrant
12-24-09, 09:12
I was just on the EE Uppers and there were 4 middy uppers for sale on the first page. I always thought I'd like to have one. Is there something about them that people don't care for?

Depends on who made the uppers. If I owned a RRA middy (one of the heavy models), I would sell it too.

To me personally, if you are going to run a 16" gun, I would ONLY have one with a mid-length gas system.

C4

ForTehNguyen
12-24-09, 09:44
yea a HBAR middy is pretty heavy, I think i calculated that a HBAR middy barrel weighs around a pound less than a govt profile middy barrel. I didnt account for the taper so it would be less than 1.08 lbs but not a whole lot less

diameter of HBAR: 1"
diameter of Govt: .675"
volume of a cylinder: pi x r^2 x height
length of the taper on a midlength: 9", which is the same as a midlength rail, 7" for carbine, 12" for rifle, etc.

volume of 9" HBAR section - volume of 9" govt section = how much cubic inches of 4140 chrome moly shaved off
(pi x .5^2 x 9) - (pi x .3375^2 x 9) = 3.847960127 cubic inches difference
density of 4140 chrome molly steel: .28 lb per cubic inch
so I'm calculating 1.08 lb difference.

I have a delton middy which is also HBAR, i have to balance it out with a Magpul UBR

markman
12-26-09, 14:30
I just popped for a BCM 16" Middy. I didn't order a handguard because I read elsewhere the Magpul Moe should be out on or about Jan. 19th. We will see.