PDA

View Full Version : First build, need Lower suggestions

cschwanz
12-23-09, 20:29
So here's the deal, as you may or may not have seen in my other thread, I am looking into my first AR-15 and with my recent job, I stand to get some decent pricing on AR-15 parts. Annnnnnyway, I have been some thinking and have narrowed my lower decision down to 3 options listed below as well as in the poll. The links are to show the actual lower, but i listed my price, not the listed price. I think I know which is the quality unti, but the savings could outweigh here and i need to know the REAL differences in these lowers and if they would be considered "quality".

thanks!

Here are links to options:

1: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=53908/sku/Complete_Lower_Receiver__w_M4_Stock $234.00

2: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=48116/sku/HSA_15_Lower_Receiver_w_Buttstock $198.00

3: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM $350.00 (w/ cheapest butt-stock option)

ZeroDistortionNow
12-23-09, 20:46
you can build a better lower yourself...

Rock River Arms lower... $120
Any lower parts kit... $60-$70
Pick a stock you like (Magpul CTR, Vltor Modstock or Emod etc...) $140

The only reason I say to build it yourself is that you get to pick your own parts and they are the ones you want, why buy something already put together when you will probably end up swapping half the parts out anyway

just my .02

bradb55
12-23-09, 21:07
I'm not against any body putting together a lower and I think everyone should try it. But with deals like the BCM lower at G&R you can't go wrong.

I built mine and added some extras and came in right above the BCM lower price. So i didn't save any. I did purchase most parts around the Obama scare, so things were a little more.

I say go with the BCM

geminidglocker
12-23-09, 21:10
I voted for BCM, but personally I find building up a lower more gratifying.

cschwanz
12-23-09, 21:36
i do like the idea of building my own lower from the ground up, but for my first rifle, i thought this may be an easier/more hassle-free way of going at it. id need schooling on things needed to build my own from ground-up (oh lord, i think i see another thread in my future, lol)

bradb55
12-23-09, 21:42
This site has tons of info and people who know what they are talking about.

Do a google search for a exploaded view of an ar lower and print it out for refence. Youtube is good to.

Its does feel good to put one together. But like I said before the BCM is the "best bang for your buck!"

99HMC4
12-23-09, 22:14
Noveske lower, G&R LPK....;)

Icculus
12-23-09, 23:27

You know I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a BCM lower for myself for Christmas to start building a second rifle (I thought it was probably best to just buy my first one complete; DDM4) but I like the way you think:)

ETA: Out of your choices I voted BCM

SWATcop556
12-24-09, 01:56

I have one of these. One of my favs!

I vote for BCM but everyone here knows I drink that koolaid. :cool:

LBG375
12-24-09, 02:54
I love the mega machine shop lower. They have a great finish and are not that expensive. I've used the Daniel Defense LPK for my last 2 builds, and have had no issues. I use 6 position milspec tubes, and mostly Magpul stocks. I think all these items using an MOE buttstock would run you similar to what you're trying to pay, and would be quality. If you really want a preassembled lower, then go with the BCM, or the Daniel Defense XV Lower for $349 complete.

cschwanz
12-24-09, 09:11
polls are being swayed to one side more than i was expecting. is the quality of the BCM (which i know is good) really THAT much better than say the YHM (another good name in the industry, or so i thought) to fork over the extra $120+????

bradb55
12-24-09, 09:17
IMO yes

C-Fish
12-24-09, 11:36
Not sure where you live, but this (http://sgcusa.com/AR-15-Components-Lower-Receivers/c4_200/p3946/LMT-Defender-Lower-w-SOPMOD-Stock-and-Standard-Trigger-%28L7LB2%29/product_info.html) is a great deal, even with a transfer fee.

bar197
12-24-09, 14:24
I'm not sure why you are only looking at one of the lowers you listed, but there are several good lowers to be had for the same or less money. Like many have said, I prefer going the stripped lower route, and using a quality parts kit. My favorite is of course the G&R kit, but I have had no problems with DPMS, RRA, and STAG. Any of these kits can be had for less than $70. As far as lowers go stick with the top brands, and you should have no problems. Lowers are lowers, the only difference I have found is the finish and of course the price. S&W, Noveske, RRA, LMT, and several others make fine lowers. My personal favorite for the money is the Charles Daily Defense. It is HANDS DOWN the best lower for the money IMHO. It has the best finish of any lower I own. (I own all listed above) Anyway, good luck!

cschwanz
12-24-09, 21:09
the reason im looking at those lower in particular from brownells is bc i get a sizable discount on items through brownells. thats why i posted "my" pricing for the non BCM lowers. Ive been wanting a BCM for awhile, and will most likely go with a BCM upper from Grant. With the reduced prices on the above lowers, I can add a rail, low profile gas block and a set of mbus for the same original price of just the basic BCM rifle. thats whyi wanted opinions on the level of quality of say the YHM lower bc the savings with the lower (which a lot of ppl seem to say is not as important as the upper itself. That being said I do not want to take the cheap way out and end up paying more in the long run....

Thomas M-4
12-24-09, 21:30
I voted BCM but have you looked at LMT ? Both are high quality complete lowers if I were going to use a BCM upper then I would opt for a BCM lower.

cschwanz
12-24-09, 21:34
i have looked at LMT and heard it is a very good product, but while i want this to be a quality built unit from top to bottom, I do want to keep it to a semi-budget. LMT looks to be a bit too expensive for me right now, unless i find a really good deal.

Thomas M-4
12-24-09, 21:46
LMT normally go for $330 I have seen then go for $305. Believe me I completely understand the budget thing but it is worth it it took me a 1 1/2 years to cobble together my LMT but it is worth it in the long run if you count the money for tools its hard to beat the BCM and LMT complete lowers on price. Also the shipping cost if you buy a lower from one place and a LPK from another and buttstock assemble from another in the end it hard to beat a complete lower.

cschwanz
12-24-09, 21:57
yea, id like to get a complete setup for A.) itd be simpler for me and my first gun B.) savings on some costs you mentioned. Altho i wont need to pay for shipping on brownells items, so that'd help me there if i do got the "build a lower" route

Iceberg
12-25-09, 05:59
I picked up my LMT lower w/ SopMod stock for $325 at the local PDX gunshow. I really like the SopMOd stock, and LMT makes quality stuff.

Failure2Stop
12-25-09, 07:55
Most lowers are pretty much the same as long as they are made of 7075.
Major issues like dimensional errors are pretty limited to bottom-rung manufacturers, the most notorious of which was Olympic, and even then, it wasn't every lower that had problems, just a sizable percentage.
The next issue is lower receiver parts. The most obvious problem will be commercial vs mil-spec receiver extension diameter (it appears that the YHM has a commercial RE). Lower receiver parts quality is also an issue. Weak springs will wear faster and break sooner. Lower quality small parts (such as the bolt catch) will be more prone to breakage. Companies like LMT, Colt, and BCM have a proven track-record here of their lower parts (and entire guns) working for a long time under adverse conditions- HS and YHM? Not so much.

Now, one could certainly apply the savings from one to buy spare and replacement parts, but that kinda defeats the purpose in my eyes.

If the difference between owning an AR or not comes down to saving $100 on a lower, well, the choice is obvious.

cgrubb1
12-25-09, 08:11
I know everyone here worships BCM, and rightfully so, but to me all lowers are pretty much the same. Why spend $400 on a top of the line name, when the same company makes the same lower under a different name and much lower price. I just bought an aero precision lower with LPK for $109 on surplus ammo. I put it together on just over an hour and it was my first build. Got all MOE furniture with buffer tube spring and buffer for $99. So about $250 for a better than average quality lower.