PDA

View Full Version : Emod Wobble

Flyingjibus
12-23-09, 23:44
I have a Mil spec tube on my AR. I got what I was told was a mil spec Emod off the EE but after installing it it has an amount of wobble that I am surprised by. I have heard of the emod being so tight it is hard to change positions. Is it possible that my emod is not mil spec? Is there a way to tell?

I would call the wobble almost a full degree.

Chooie
12-23-09, 23:50
Could be, a commercial extension is larger in diameter by .020". If you have a set of calipers, measure the ID of the stock. If it is smaller than 1.168" then I think it's a safe bet that you have a mil-spec EMOD, since the commercial would be larger than that.

Flyingjibus
12-24-09, 00:12
Damn battery in the Caliper is dead.

If I pull the stock off and look down the tube I see an "M" engraved at the end of the tube cavity. Does anyone have a Commercial Vltor stock that they want to check and see if it has a C?

nickdrak
12-24-09, 00:23
Both of the Mil-Spec EMOD's that I have owned had a significant amount of "wobble" when mounted.

In the end, I dont think it will effect your accuracy one bit, but I still prefer the feel of a solidly locked-up stock on my rifles and I switched to a MagPul CTR and ACS for this very reason.

ETA: Both my duty rifles wear LMT Mil-Spec tubes and both of the EMOD's I had were Mil-Spec.

rychencop
12-24-09, 00:50
mine is rock solid and was tight as hell when i first got it. now it slides nice and is still solid. sounds like something is not milspec.

Flyingjibus
12-24-09, 01:10
mine is rock solid and was tight as hell when i first got it. now it slides nice and is still solid. sounds like something is not milspec.

Are you using a Vltor Extension? If so is the the newer ones the farmed out to DSA with the screened logo or the older one with the engraved logo?

Iraqgunz
12-24-09, 01:18
I have two carbines equipped with EMODS and they are tighter than a 10 year old.

LBG375
12-24-09, 02:31
My milspec E-mod has minimal rotational play, and zero vertical play in it. Definitely not enough to make any difference in cheek weld, or cant which would affect shot placement. I'm happy with it. I also own an LMT SOPMOD and an ACS. Of the three, the E-mod has the most play, and the ACS has the least. However, for the length of pull and balance for my medium profile barrel, I prefer the E-mod on my 16" Noveske Recce. I also like the rubber pad on the E-mod for CQM/Reflexive fire since it lets me bring my weapon up to my eye faster and smoother, than with the flat recoil pads on the ACS and LMT. This is important to me as I think my 16" is a good balance between a close quaters and a distance gun. So I get the smooth pivot for CQM, the cheek weld for longer shots, and the weight balance it provides for the heavy upper. I'm going to get one of the magpul enhanced recoil pad for the ACS, to see if it will be better for CQM/Reflexive fire. In the end, all the aforementioned stocks are top of the line. They all have their plusses and minuses. You decide which one is the best for you. For me I like the E-mod for my 16", and prefer the LMT for my 18" match grade gun. To each his own.

C4IGrant
12-24-09, 09:14
I have a Mil spec tube on my AR. I got what I was told was a mil spec Emod off the EE but after installing it it has an amount of wobble that I am surprised by. I have heard of the emod being so tight it is hard to change positions. Is it possible that my emod is not mil spec? Is there a way to tell?

I would call the wobble almost a full degree.

EMOD's are one of the tightest fitting stocks out there so I am guessing that you got a commercial EMOD.

C4

C4IGrant
12-24-09, 09:16
Both of the Mil-Spec EMOD's that I have owned had a significant amount of "wobble" when mounted.

In the end, I dont think it will effect your accuracy one bit, but I still prefer the feel of a solidly locked-up stock on my rifles and I switched to a MagPul CTR and ACS for this very reason.

ETA: Both my duty rifles wear LMT Mil-Spec tubes and both of the EMOD's I had were Mil-Spec.

Interesting. If you get a chance, measure the diameter of your RE's.

I know what the spec calls out and how much +/- is allowed and would like to see where your LMT RE's fall.

C4

Thomas M-4
12-24-09, 09:39
Grant my LMT RE comes out to 1.146''
I use an CTR not e-mod.

C4IGrant
12-24-09, 09:41
Grant my LMT RE comes out to 1.146''
I use an CTR not e-mod.

That is in spec, but towards the low end.

C4

Thomas M-4
12-24-09, 09:49
The dial indicator was holding between 46-47 show I counted 46.
CTR has no wobble it does slide back and forth maybe 1/8''.

johnson
12-24-09, 10:02
My Emod has a little bit of play back to front and side to side but I wouldn't call it wobbly.

Reddevil
12-24-09, 16:43
My milspec EMOD also has a little play in it mounted on a Colt 6920. WhY surprised me was how easy it comes right off the receiver extension when holding down the release. Not one of my many stocks have ever slipped off with ease. I've usually had to lift up on the catch for it to com off. It doesn't bother me much because it stays in the shortest position at all times.