PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the HK45

JoshNC
12-24-09, 09:52
I searched for any threads on the HK45, but did not come up with much. I am thinking I would like to pick up a 45 pistol and am curious about the HK45 or HK45 Compact. What is the consensus on these? Has anyone put a large number of rounds down range with the HK45 yet? I currently do not own any HK handguns. I mainly shoot a Glock 17 and Sig 228.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

C4IGrant
12-24-09, 10:08
I searched for any threads on the HK45, but did not come up with much. I am thinking I would like to pick up a 45 pistol and am curious about the HK45 or HK45 Compact. What is the consensus on these? Has anyone put a large number of rounds down range with the HK45 yet? I currently do not own any HK handguns. I mainly shoot a Glock 17 and Sig 228.

I have put a limited number of rounds through one.

I like that I can carry it cocked and locked.

What I don't like is that I feel there is no place for my thumb. If I rest my thumb on top of the safety, I could de-cock it. If I rest it under the thumb safety, I could put it on safe.

Some people get their index finger pinched between the trigger and triggerguard (have not had this happen to me).

They are expensive and so are the mags.

If I were to get one, I would send it Bowie and have him fix some of the issues with the gun.

C4

loupav
12-24-09, 10:52
Me personally I love the gun. I think it's one of the best if not the best 45 autos made today.
As always, nothing is perfect. I don't like the stock sights mine are replaced with Heninie Straight-8's. The groove inside the trigger is stupid IMO, but it doesn't bother me. The gun is very ergonomic, a pleasant to shoot, and even looks cool! (it reminds me of a shark).

As with all things HK, it is expensive and so are the magazines as stated above. But you get what you pay for. I should also say that in my experience HK Customer Service is excellent contrary to popular rumor.

Check this out.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13580
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31077

99HMC4
12-24-09, 10:59
I love mine. One of if not the best hand gun Ive had. I buy and sell a lot of my personal guns but I will give my HK45 to my Son one day. Its going to stay in the faimly...

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-24-09, 11:02
I have over 14k though mine. It is an accurate, 100 percent reliable and "bombproof." I have run it through a a couple of pistol classes and had no issues whatsoever. However, there seems to be percentage of folks whose grip allows them to de-cock the gun and get pinched. I have never had this issue with any USP variant but have long heard this complaint so I know some folks have it. Mr Bowie has a package that fixes the issues for those that have it (and he has a package for the people that have trouble with their M&Ps, Glocks, etc).

It is just an excellent combat handgun. Like all HK products, it is very well-built. The SA trigger is about as good as it gets on a DA/SA handgun. The DA isn't great, but the gun is meant to be carried C&L so the DA is more of a re-strike.

It can be carried C&L like a 1911, which is how I carried it. It can be carried DA with safety off or safety on for a damn safe handgun. It is also available in LEM if you like a consistent trigger pull without a safety.

Again, in standard HK fashion, the gun is accurate and the sights are regulated POI/POA. HK actually zeroes their handguns, which is something it looks like a lot of other manufactures have simply given up doing. It is a very easy gun to shoot accurately right out of the box.

There are excellent holsters available. I have Comp-Tac and Bladetech holsters, as well as a Raven Concealment holster for carry with a light attached.

In my opinion (which is currently valued at 4 cents), it is the best of the modern double stack .45s.

newyork
12-24-09, 11:05
I hear what Grant is saying about the thumb issue. All HKs with safety/decock levers do this to me. Is there a technique to avoid this? If you have small hands like me, shooting in the 1911 style is too uncomfortable on HKs as the lever is up higher than a 1911s. Is the LEM the answer here or is there a certain grip to be had here?

Vinh
12-24-09, 11:06
I've shot 875 rounds through mine over the span of two years. I revisit it from time to time, but have never taken it seriously due to the lack of the variant 9 plate. The issue is not so much that the gun decocks, but that if the lever breaks 30 degrees towards decock, the trigger is locked and the gun cannot fire. Other than that, I like it, but wouldn't carry it since I prefer medium-sized guns these days.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-24-09, 11:09
Newyork,

I have smallish hands and I rest my thumb on top of lever. However, I have always preferred the "gorilla grip" so my thumb is really pressing into the side of the gun more than onto the lever. This is probably why I have never had the issues you guys have had.

nipplehead
12-24-09, 11:14
Th HK45 instintly be came my favorite non-custom 45acp pistol. It is very soft shooting and accurate. To me the gun feels like it was made for my hands...I love to hold this gun! Larry Vickers and Ken Hacklethorn develope this gun for HK. Many people think it is the best 45 on the planet.

The Mags are 10 plus 1 but you actually can get 11 in the mag and the gun will function like that fine.

That being said the 2 negatives were mentioned in the prevous post.

1, The grove in the trigger guard does irratate some shooters in long shooting sessions. Bowie does a fix on this it is called the Vickers modifaction. I smoothed it out on my own problem solved. If you search around you should be able to find some detailed photos of the Vickers mod.

2 The safety is also a decocker. If you really lean on it you could ride it hard enough to decock the pistol. As for now I carry hammer down so it is unlokely it coukd happen to me.
However there is a fix for this problem get a V9 version of the pistol...IT is safety only no decocker

You my have trouble finding a V9 but any HK45 can be made a V9..I intend to convert mine.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13580 Check this out https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17776 (picture of Bowie's Vickers Mod)

HK are extremely reliable guns. Every one should own at least just one. If I could only have one HK the HK45 would be my choice. They are very expensive for a plastic gun. If you get one you will not be disappointed.

Outlander Systems
12-24-09, 11:21
I hear what Grant is saying about the thumb issue. All HKs with safety/decock levers do this to me. Is there a technique to avoid this? If you have small hands like me, shooting in the 1911 style is too uncomfortable on HKs as the lever is up higher than a 1911s. Is the LEM the answer here or is there a certain grip to be had here?

I've never had it happen, but it *is* a viable concern. I float the safety on the HKs unlike riding the safety on the 1911, but I'm probably creating poor training habits by doing this. When I need the weapon, Murphy will leap out and decock the damned thing.

The other option is to ride your support-hand thumb-knuckle/top-of-your-hand, like you would on a 1911's safety.

VA_Dinger
12-24-09, 11:23
Hands down my favorite .45 handgun. Extremely ergonomic, accurate, and easy to shoot. The mag catch makes reloads a dream once you get used to it.

I carry and do weapons manipulations exactly as I would a 1911, except strong handle only then I will move my thumb to below the safety becuase I've caused a few malfunctions riding the safety. Otherwise my thumb rides on the safety exactly like a 1911.

Once you get used to it, you will love it.

My only complaint is .45 is damn expensive compared to 9mm. If that wasn't the case I'd carry an HK45 everyday.

C4IGrant
12-24-09, 11:42
Newyork,

I have smallish hands and I rest my thumb on top of lever. However, I have always preferred the "gorilla grip" so my thumb is really pressing into the side of the gun more than onto the lever. This is probably why I have never had the issues you guys have had.

This is key and how the gun has to be shot (IMHO).

C4

GlockCop525
12-24-09, 12:23

Honestly, you would probably be better off with a USP chambered in .45, they are practically the same gun, minus of course the USP is bulkier, and the fact that the USP has more rounds in a magezine and should be cheaper.

99HMC4
12-24-09, 12:41
Honestly, you would probably be better off with a USP chambered in .45, they are practically the same gun, minus of course the USP is bulkier, and the fact that the USP has more rounds in a magezine and should be cheaper.

The USP and the HK45 is the same gun? Could have fooled me...

one
12-24-09, 12:50
Th HK45 instintly be came my favorite non-custom 45acp pistol. It is very soft shooting and accurate. To me the gun feels like it was made for my hands...I love to hold this gun! Larry Vickers and Ken Hacklethorn develope this gun for HK. Many people think it is the best 45 on the planet.

The Mags are 10 plus 1 but you actually can get 11 in the mag and the gun will function like that fine.

That being said the 2 negatives were mentioned in the prevous post.

1, The grove in the trigger guard does irratate some shooters in long shooting sessions. Bowie does a fix on this it is called the Vickers modifaction. I smoothed it out on my own problem solved. If you search around you should be able to find some detailed photos of the Vickers mod.

2 The safety is also a decocker. If you really lean on it you could ride it hard enough to decock the pistol. As for now I carry hammer down so it is unlokely it coukd happen to me.
However there is a fix for this problem get a V9 version of the pistol...IT is safety only no decocker

You my have trouble finding a V9 but any HK45 can be made a V9..I intend to convert mine.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13580 Check this out https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17776 (picture of Bowie's Vickers Mod)

HK are extremely reliable guns. Every one should own at least just one. If I could only have one HK the HK45 would be my choice. They are very expensive for a plastic gun. If you get one you will not be disappointed.

I started reading down this thread looking to see if anyone posted this answer to the complaints about accidentally decocking the pistol. I don't have an "HK45" and wasn't sure it was able to be converted to non decock. This appears that it can. I have changed out the detent plate on my USP45C to a non decocking version and that should eliminate the main concern of cocked and locked going too far to the decock position. At least it worked great for me.

The only question I would have left would be full size or compact?

Vinh
12-24-09, 13:24
I called HK earlier this week and there is no V9 plate for the HK45.

However, you could try modifying the V9 plate from your USPc and see if it'll fit.

Dinger, good to hear it's working out for you!

dtibbals
12-24-09, 13:44
I have a couple HK45's and one with over 10K rounds through it. My opinion is the same as Greg's. If you want a double stack 45 acp there is no better pistol then the HK45. My HK45's have all been 100% right out of the box, been through several 4 day defensive pistol courses with them and always enjoyed shooting them.

I still prefer a Wilson Combat, Colt (worked over), Ed Brown etc 1911's to the HK45 for their trigger but the HK45 wins over them in most every other way. I find that when I am shooting Glock's with 3.5lb connectors and 1911's for a while and haven't spent time with the HK45 I struggle shooting the HK45 well for a couple of mags and then the HK45 and I get in a groove and all is good. The HK45 trigger is nothing like a 1911 or Glock and has a long reset when compared to the others but other then that its really sweet. So once I shoot a few mags through it I get used to the trigger again and all is good.

Like most pistols they all have their place. I tried out the HK45C and planned to buy one based on my experience with the HK45 but after renting one at the range I found that I shot it like crap for some reason. I shot my G36 much better then the HK45C and shot the full size HK45 much better as well. I was a bit shocked by this because the HK45C has a lot less recoil and is the easiest to shoot but for some reason I didn't shoot it well. I bring this up because rather then buying what others say is great etc you have to see what works best for you. So for carry 45 I use my Colt Light Weight Commander for now with an Ed Brown Kobra Carry in my future. I sold the G36 since I wanted a bit more capacity and just decided to stick with the 1911 for that role...normal carry gun is a G26 and love it.

Good luck and its hard to go wrong with an HK45.

David

one
12-24-09, 14:16
I called HK earlier this week and there is no V9 plate for the HK45.

However, you could try modifying the V9 plate from your USPc and see if it'll fit.

Dinger, good to hear it's working out for you!

That certainly sucks. Back to square one.

BT2012
12-24-09, 15:15
This is my favorite choice for non-1911. Both, full and compact size fits my hand well and the mag release is easy to manipulate once you get the hang of it. I would change out to the LEM or V9 when the parts are available. The drawback is the limited choice of sights and very expensive mags, so be prepared to spend a lot of money. The P30 is a great alternative if you don't mind going with a 9mm.

Jake0331
12-24-09, 16:24
The mag release is the cat's ass. So is the entire platform, both full size and compact.

RAM Engineer
12-24-09, 17:02
Is there a LEM trigger for the HK45, like the one ToddK used in his P30?

Longhorn
12-24-09, 17:33

That's like my GF looks like Joanna Krupa except she's a little heavier, has different color hair, and her face is different...

Ram, not sure if this is a 100% answer to your question (as I'm not sure what Todd' LEM setup is/was, as I haven't dove too deep into his P30 test(s)) but this is straight from HK-USA's site:

Well-suited for personal defense use, the HK45 is available in, or can be converted to, a wide variety of variants that use different trigger firing modes, including double action/single action (DA/SA) and DAO (double action only). The DAO mode uses the unique Heckler & Koch LEM (Law Enforcement Modification) firing system for improved double action trigger pull.

Biggy
12-24-09, 17:37
I got a HK45 when they first came out. It is definately a quality well made pistol and IMHO one of if not the most durable and reliable 45acp pistols out their. The accuracy of my HK45 was a toss up with my S&W M&P 45. Recoil and muzzle flip were a little less with my S&W M&P 45 pistol. The ergonomics of the H&K 45 for my hand size was pretty good but not quite as good as the S&W M&P 45 pistol. I have since sold the H&K 45 as i decided i liked the striker fired pistols with no thumb safety the best and did not want to stick any more money into it sending it to Bowie for the Vickers mod, etc. I have also dumped all my 45ACP pistols and am running just 9mm. I am currently waiting on two of the S&W M&P "PT" pistols. For me the 9mm/40cal size H&K, M&P or Glock pistols still feel the best in my hand compared to the 45 size pistols. Also with the light recoil of the S&W M&P 9mm pistol and loaded with 17+1 rds of the Winchester Q4364 147 gr. bonded hp FBI service load or the Federal HST 147gr HP standard load I feel I have finally found my ideal pistol and ammo combination. I am also completely satisfied with its full size grip and will gladly sacrifice a little concealability to have it.

Gombey
12-24-09, 17:39
It's the only firearm I own right now. I LOVE it, I carry it C&L and let my thumb ride on top of the saftey with no problems. I have the compact and as soon as some funds free up (after I get the wife her first pistol) I plan on buying the full size as well. IMHO this is a wonderful piece of equipment but the only other handgun I have fired was a glock 21.......so I guess take my opinion with a grain of salt. Good luck and Merry Christmas

Smoke Rhino
12-24-09, 18:57
LEM kits for the HK45 are available from H&K USA, but are currently out of stock (they are around $80). I was told to call back in JAN2010. Same date when asked about a V9 detent plate. So it is coming. I have my fingers crossed!

JoshNC
12-25-09, 16:56
Thanks for the info guys. Now the question is whether I should pick up the 45 or 45C. I would really like to pick up a 45 or 45C with factory threaded barrel to run with a suppressor.

Smoke Rhino
12-25-09, 17:05
Factory threaded barrels are available for both (around $250), however I don't know if you can get a new pistol with one already installed. As for which one that is up to you...

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-25-09, 19:43
Thanks for the info guys. Now the question is whether I should pick up the 45 or 45C. I would really like to pick up a 45 or 45C with factory threaded barrel to run with a suppressor.

If I understand correctly, the HK45C will not take the X300 light in particular. That is a popular light, and I'm not sure if it will take any of the full size lights? If you are going to run a suppressor, why not get the HK45?

Josh- you ever post pics of those completed Sig SBR rifles?

Jake0331
12-25-09, 21:07
I like the 45C. LEM trigger is next. I don't much care for the Insight light; swapping it for a TLR-3. Larger lights don't fit well, and may need to be modified to fit at all.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/jake8674/DSCF3730-1.jpg

one
12-25-09, 21:56
Could someone confirm for me that the X 300 will "not" fit on the compact HK45? That would be a deal breaker for me on that gun, well actually it would be the deciding factor for me on full size vs compact with this model HK.

Smoke Rhino
12-25-09, 22:06
The X300 will NOT fit the compact. The HK45C only has 3 "slots" on the picatinny rail where as the HK45 has 4 and you need at least 4.

one
12-26-09, 00:26
Hey, I appreciate it. You just saved me a real possible financial headache down the road.

fireftrjef
12-26-09, 09:52
Soft shooting .45 with the perfect grip.

If you buy one, don't sell it...you will regret it! I sold mine to a friend and I ask him all the time if he wants to sell it.

99HMC4
12-26-09, 10:11
For me one of the big selling points was the "spidey" grip, the "C" doesnt have it but I still might get one. Also one of the things I did was cut off the finger lip on the mag floor plate, it just made a large pistol bigger esp. for a CCW...

varoadking
12-26-09, 11:48

Better yet, a LEM conversion can yield a Combat Competition LEM in the HK45. HK didn't have the proper springs to accomplish this in the P30 the last time I checked...

My LEM HK45 is boringly accurate and 100% reliable...

newyork
12-26-09, 13:02
is the reset on the hk45 very long like the p2000 da/sa? what about on the LEM version?

RAM Engineer
12-26-09, 14:27
Better yet, a LEM conversion can yield a Combat Competition LEM in the HK45. HK didn't have the proper springs to accomplish this in the P30 the last time I checked...

My LEM HK45 is boringly accurate and 100% reliable...

What is a "Combat Competition LEM"?

varoadking
12-26-09, 14:54
What is a "Combat Competition LEM"?

A hybrid combination of the HK match trigger and LEM. It features a very short reset compared to V2 LEM.

Both of my Experts - 9mm and .40S&W - have a LEM pull of sub-five pounds, as reported by HK when they were there for the conversion. I have to reckon my HK45 is about that as well.

More information here:

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/cc_general.asp

one
12-27-09, 17:07
The discussion on triggers got me thinking, what trigger does the HK45 full size usually come with out of the box? A standard trigger? And will the Match trigger or something simillar work in it?

JoshNC
12-27-09, 20:47
Thanks for all the info guys! I think the 45 fullsize may be what I need.

Josh- you ever post pics of those completed Sig SBR rifles?

Only pics of the 552 SBR. I still don't have the 556 Pistol/SBR back from the smith and the 552 had to go back for some tweaking. Then they go off for refinishing.

snakedoctor
12-27-09, 21:35
Hey Josh, where did you get your P228?

Mark71
12-27-09, 21:59
is the reset on the hk45 very long like the p2000 da/sa? what about on the LEM version?

The single action trigger on my HK45 is very nice and the reset is much shorter than the P2000, P30, and USP's that I have owned. The trigger and reset feels very much like the Match trigger that is available on the USP Tactical, Elite, and Expert.

BLACK LION
12-28-09, 15:57
Everything about the HK45 is attractive aside from the price and the fact that I think they should have extended the "beaver-tail" a bit more... similar to the M&P beavertail...

I may trade in my USP 45 for one of these some day... Right now CA laws dictate how I accquire one and those that own them know this and adjust the price accordingly...

JoshNC
12-28-09, 18:55
Hey Josh, where did you get your P228?

I worked at a local FFL/SOT/indoor shooting range a few years ago and it came in as a trade-in. Barely used, three full-cap mags, plastic locking case, test target, and warranty card that had not been filled out. I think I got the whole package for under $500.

loupav
12-29-09, 09:22
... Right now CA laws dictate how I accquire one and those that own them know this and adjust the price accordingly...

Yeah, tell me about it.:rolleyes: