PDA

View Full Version : Tungsten Recoil Spring for a g17

GlockCop525
12-24-09, 12:11
Hello, I am running a completley stock g17 at the moment, while the recoil isnt tremendously high, i would still like to minimize it for either competition or, god forbid, I end up in a sit/rep which ends in a gunfire. This being said, how much felt recoil could you shave off if you were to replace the factory recoil spring with a tungsten spring?

MarkG
12-24-09, 13:50
Do you mean tungsten guide rod? I have to believe tungsten would be a terrible material to make a spring out of if it can even be done.

ToddG
12-24-09, 15:26
Muzzle rise on a G17 isn't what slows down followup hits, at least not for anyone with a good grip. Personally, I find tungsten rods disrupt the balance of the gun and also make it slower through the swing from target to target. Then there's the obvious issue of risking compromise of the gun's functionality by replacing a major operating component with an aftermarket part...

GlockCop525
12-24-09, 16:28
yea sorry I did mean the guide rod on which the recoil spring is seated. and thanks for all the input so far, just saw the things on competition glocks before and was questioning the practicality of them

cougar_guy04
12-24-09, 16:54
I've toyed with the idea of them, but I didn't want to start tinkering with too much stuff and turn a glock into a jam-o-matic (everything that wasn't a Glock Factory part in my 34 is gone now save for the LWD 3.5# Connector and NY1 Trigger Spring). One of my friend runs a SS guide rod w a factory weight, non-captured spring and hasn't had any problems with it.

In shooting it a few times though, my seat-of-the-pants meter couldn't tell an appreciable difference between my gun and his. It does work well for him though since he manages to get me in the scores pretty much every month at the matches.

Robb Jensen
12-24-09, 17:26
Hello, I am running a completley stock g17 at the moment, while the recoil isnt tremendously high, i would still like to minimize it for either competition or, god forbid, I end up in a sit/rep which ends in a gunfire. This being said, how much felt recoil could you shave off if you were to replace the factory recoil spring with a tungsten spring?

If you want to get better at shooting accurately fast, get good quality training and practice more. Shooting is a perishable skill, hardware doesn't make up for software problems.

GlockCop525
12-24-09, 17:30
If you want to get better at shooting accurately fast, get good quality training and practice more. Shooting is a perishable skill, hardware doesn't make up for software problems.

I agree whole heartedly. I have not making it to the range nearly enough as id like this month unfortunatley. I just wanted something to help get an edge. As always, i appreciate the input and am open to suggestions

Robb Jensen
12-24-09, 17:36
I agree whole heartedly. I have not making it to the range nearly enough as id like this month unfortunatley. I just wanted something to help get an edge.

Dryfire and dry practice will help a lot vs. messing with your gun.

Check out a book called "Refinement and Repetition, Dry Fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement" by Steve Anderson. Much skill can be maintained by just dryfiring and dry practice with very little live firing.

Dave Berryhill
12-24-09, 17:41
If you can't manage the recoil on a Glock 17, it's time to switch to a .22 :D

Seriously, do what gotm4 said - practice!

GlockCop525
12-24-09, 17:47
If you can't manage the recoil on a Glock 17, it's time to switch to a .22 :D

Seriously, do what gotm4 said - practice!

the recoil is not unmanagable by any means. as said earlier, im simply looking for an edge that when coupled with effective training and practice of proper execution will increase the probablity of me going home when shit hits the fan

John_Wayne777
12-24-09, 18:31
the recoil is not unmanagable by any means. as said earlier, im simply looking for an edge that when coupled with effective training and practice of proper execution will increase the probablity of me going home when shit hits the fan

The best possible investment of your time and money is going to be working on your grip. Paying serious attention to your grip will DRAMATICALLY impact your speed. Most people think they have their grip correct...but in my experience that's not right.

Hell, *I* thought my grip was fine for a long time and I couldn't have been more incorrect. I've spent the better part of the last 5 or so months focusing on my grip and I'm just now starting to feel like I'm getting it where I need it to be.

JonInWA
12-25-09, 11:38
Rather than switch to a tungsten guide rod (or, for that matter, any other non-Glock guide rod), I think, as others have said, that you'd be better served with a regimen of dryfire, training, and practice/competition.

I honestly think that within 500 rounds expended downrange, the "problem" will have gone away-you'll have acclimated and adjusted to the gun's characteristics.

Alternatively, you also might want to consider the Glock G17C-the compensated version of the G17 that Glock also produces (and, once you have a G17C slide, you can run it with either the compensated or uncompensated barrel in it).

Best, Jon

nking
12-25-09, 12:09
I have never noticed any perceptible muzzle rise when shooting a Glock 17. It is, after all, a full sized pistol chambered in 9x19. I concur with the other members that advise paying attention to your grip during dry fire practice. Practicing the fundamentals should be done during dry fire practice. I look at live fire as a way to cement what I have been practicing at home.

DWood
12-25-09, 12:51