PDA

View Full Version : follower tilt in 20rd pmags

silvery37
12-24-09, 12:52
I was running some dummy rounds through my rifle and noticed that when I work the action by hand I will occasionally get a bolt override malfunction with 20 rd pmags. After comparing the 20rd mags to 30rd mags I noticed that the follow in the 20 round mags is designed different and doesnt stop the back of the follower from tilting. The malfunction is caused when the back of a round doesnt come up to the very top of the magazine and the bolt doesnt catch it when it moves forward.

Has anyone ever had problems with the 20 round mags. I put a follower out of a 30rd mag in the 20 rd mag. This prevented any tilt but I could only load 18 rounds.

I will see how the mags do at the range but I know there is the possibility of the magazine inducing a malfunction.

AnimalMother556
12-24-09, 13:25
Hand cycling dummies is a poor display of function. Re-install the original follower and shoot. No worries.

silvery37
12-24-09, 13:25
I can induce a malfunction if i load on a closed bolt, pull the charging handle and release.

AnimalMother556
12-24-09, 13:37
Shoot it with live ammo. If malfunctions persist, contact Magpul.

Volucris
12-24-09, 13:41
I have had no issues loading from a closed or open bolt with the Magpul 20rd PMAGs.

DBR
12-24-09, 23:07
If it is a straight body 20rd mag like the original gov mags the follower has to tilt to accommodate the taper of the cartridge.

Some Magpul 20rd mags (esp early ones) have flash on the follower. It doesn't look like much but it was enough on a few of my mags to make the rear of the follower drag in the mag body. Look carefully around every edge on the follower and see if it needs a bit of trimming. I used a box knife.

silvery37
12-25-09, 08:51
magpul is taking care of it.