PDA

View Full Version : KG-12 bore cleaner

pat701
12-24-09, 14:23
I just used some KG-12 big bore copper remover on two of my pistol barrels. I soaked a patch and let the KG-12 sit in both barrels for 10 minutes.I then ran dry patchs through my Pistol barrels. Both dry patchs came out without any blue or green stain to them. Both barrels had been cleaned before, i guess i did a good job the last time i cleaned these pistols. I question is this there are no instructions on the bottle of KG-12 as to how long it should sit in the barrel before you dry patch it out. Has anyone used this product that can advise as how long the copper solvent should sit in the barrel?

Todd.K
12-24-09, 14:44
Only ammonia based solvents will turn blue/green with copper.

DBR
12-24-09, 23:17
I use a nylon brush and let the KG12 sit about 10 minutes at room temperature. The stuff does not change color but it REALLY works. Try running a patch of a solvent that does change color through the bore and look for color. I like Boretech Eliminator a non ammonia based cleaner that changes color. Use the KG12 and then run another patch of the "indicator solvent" through the bore.

When I have done this I do not get color on the second patch. I tested this when I was Fire Lapping two rifles and I had to clean the copper out every two rounds for 40 rounds each. The KG12 worked very well and saved endless sessions with JB Bore Paste.

cdj588
08-06-10, 00:21
since kg-12 isnt ammonia based do you just use it on your guns as if it were hoppe's #9 or any other regular solvent? or do yoou have to treat it like an actual copper remover where you can screw up your gun if used wrong?

Littlelebowski
08-06-10, 07:07
When I have done this I do not get color on the second patch. I tested this when I was Fire Lapping two rifles and I had to clean the copper out every two rounds for 40 rounds each. The KG12 worked very well and saved endless sessions with JB Bore Paste.

Good god, man. You do know it's fouled after the first shot?

uscbigdawg
08-06-10, 08:33
I was a die hard Hoppe's and Sweet's guy until I tried KG. Didn't realize how much was getting left behind even with Sweet's.

Rich

cdj588
08-06-10, 12:16
so is this kg-12 just like a regular solvent thats really good at removing copper fouling?

uscbigdawg
08-06-10, 17:50
Pretty much. It really cuts through the crud and gets what EVERY other solvent I've tried leaves behind.

If you contact Bobby at Freedom Gunworks, and tell him I sent you, he'll go into all the details. I tried it 'cause he sent it to me to try and followed his recipe. Haven't turned back since to clean all my guns.

Rich

Littlelebowski
08-06-10, 18:06
I'm glad that I got over that cleaning crap a while ago and focused on shooting. I clean when accuracy drops off.

uscbigdawg
08-06-10, 18:07
None of said we cleaned a lot. Just said that we did it. ;)

Rich

Littlelebowski
08-06-10, 18:10
None of said we cleaned a lot. Just said that we did it. ;)

Rich

"Endless sessions with JB Bore Paste"

Talk about costly silly overkill.