PDA

View Full Version : first post and dumb question about eotech 517

dashotgun
12-24-09, 15:08
Hi guys I am a long time pistol owner who decided to buy an AR. I recently got a DD xv and I just bought an eotech 517.
I understand I think about co witness. and the separate sight zero. The sights are set up nicely with the 7mm rise.
What I do not understand is if the front sight and the eotech have to align. When I look through the fixed sites on the DD XV it sits perfectly nestled between the front sites. When I look above the iron sites the reticle free floats. I think that is normal but wanted reassurance that was correct. Also is it mounted to far forward? I have seen pictures of them closer to the iron sights. Thanks David

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/dashotgun/guns/ddxv.jpg

PlatoCATM
12-24-09, 15:25
Irons and red dots are two separate sight systems. If they happen to co-align, consider it luck, but do not rely on that for anything regarding sight alignment/sight picture. In other words, do not use them together.

Heat may create some problems with your optic mounted so far forward if you shoot high round counts where heat will build up significantly over the barrel nut. It is nice to have it mounted farther forward, but if you experience difficulties with the optic when the barrel begins to heat up I would move it back. I think the 517 was designed with a little gap under the battery box, though, so that may help to alleviate any problems due to heat.

Welcome, and good choice for your first carbine.

DangerClose86
04-04-13, 17:38
The placement of your HWS is completely up to you and what works best for you. When it is further forward like that it narrows your sight picture allowing you to be somewhat more accurate. Its the same thing with iron sights. The further the sights are from each other the more precise it will make your shot, assuming your shooting correctly. When it comes to a red dot sight or HWS your eye takes the place of your rear sight aperture, so the further your eye is from the reticle the more precise you could possibly be.

Hopefully this makes as much sense to everyone else as it does to me and I'm sorry about the explanation but I am not so good with words.

Ryno12
04-04-13, 17:53
The placement of your HWS is completely up to you and what works best for you. When it is further forward like that it narrows your sight picture allowing you to be somewhat more accurate. Its the same thing with iron sights. The further the sights are from each other the more precise it will make your shot, assuming your shooting correctly. When it comes to a red dot sight or HWS your eye takes the place of your rear sight aperture, so the further your eye is from the reticle the more precise you could possibly be.

Hopefully this makes as much sense to everyone else as it does to me and I'm sorry about the explanation but I am not so good with words.

Dude, that's a 3yr old post. I'm sure he's got it figured out by now.
BTW, welcome to the club.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

JSantoro
04-05-13, 08:55
but I am not so good with words.

Less of a problem than not-so-good-at-date-stamps.

Every post is dated. Please pay attention to them.