PDA

View Full Version : Lost 10 pounds in the last 3 weeks

Alaskapopo
12-24-09, 17:19
I have been over weight for most of my life. Recently I went in for a physical and my blood pressure was high 140 over 100. I got put on meds and it gave me a wake up call. I don't want to die early to something I could have prevented so I have started working out and trying to diet. I have been using an eliptical machine for 45 minutes a day 6 days a week. I also have cut down on my portions and I try to eat when I am hungry just not much. So far I have lost 10 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I have lost the weight before but it has come back so I am trying to do something that I can maintain.
pat

Failure2Stop
12-24-09, 17:44
Good job. Maintain discipline. . . live better, longer.

BushmasterFanBoy
12-24-09, 19:24
Good job, the key is to make the change become a part of your lifestyle. When you hit the point where you actually wonder about how you used to be, and chuckle at how anyone could live like that, you know you're winning. It takes time. More than anything is knowing that given enough time, you will win.

Magsz
12-24-09, 21:53
Try and do something you enjoy to replace the 45 minutes on the elliptical.

Realistically, do you see yourself putting that time in six days a week for the rest of your life?

Part of the reason why these changes dont stick for alot of people is that they're not realistic. Cardio machines are not fun, or entertaining, going for a brisk jog with your dog is.

Heavy Metal
12-24-09, 22:28
An IPOD helps lots. Get a solid-state model, do not exercise with a Hard Drive model.

My advice ain't worth much but if you want to keep it off, try not to lose too much too fast. A pound a week is sustainable. Five a week and you are gonna go on an eating binge because you are gonna put your body into starvation mode. Even a half-pound a week considering you are building muscle is fine. You are really losing more than that in fat.

If you feel like a 98 pound weakling all the time, you are in starvation mode. If you go into starvation mode, you will feel so crappy you make every excuse you can to avoid exercise. Too few calories can be worse than too many.

I am burning around 5K Calories a week at the Gym and am losing about a half-pound a week. Truthfully, I only need to lose 9-14 more pounds depending on how much muscle I put on. I do not have a scrap of fat left on my legs, and my arms are getting bigger. I know it is going to take awhile to make my little spare tire dissappear completely but as long as I am going in the right direction.

My next birthday present to myself is going to be washboard abs and I think I have a decent shot at it as long as I can keep this op-tempo up.

My paints are getting looser at the waist and tighter at the calves so I know I am getting what I really want.

Another thing. Avoid sweets and eat fruit. I am pigging-out on Clementines right now.

Drink a Canteen of water when you finish your workout. It will suppress your appetite and you won't feel like eating the entire World.

Eat a small lunch or meal before excercise and you can push yourself harder without feeling crappy too.

Alaskapopo
12-24-09, 22:55
Try and do something you enjoy to replace the 45 minutes on the elliptical.

Realistically, do you see yourself putting that time in six days a week for the rest of your life?

Part of the reason why these changes dont stick for alot of people is that they're not realistic. Cardio machines are not fun, or entertaining, going for a brisk jog with your dog is.

Your right but the winters down here make outdoor excercise less enjoyable than 45 minutes on the eliptical. In the summer I don't like to run outside because of bears. I know it sounds weird but we have had joggers and bikers mauled in the state. I am in a area with lots of black and brown bear. I like to run with music on and its almost impossible to be situationally aware when you do that. Also my 5 shot Redhawk (custom pistol down by Hamilton Bowen in 45 Colt) is too big to run with so I usually end up just carrying my 9mm Glock 26 in a fanny pack. Not something I want to shoot a bear with. I would probably be fine but I admit I am afraid of bears. I have had to shoot 2 in the line of duty. 1 of those was one that charged me.

Pat

Magsz
12-25-09, 10:42
Your right but the winters down here make outdoor excercise less enjoyable than 45 minutes on the eliptical. In the summer I don't like to run outside because of bears. I know it sounds weird but we have had joggers and bikers mauled in the state. I am in a area with lots of black and brown bear. I like to run with music on and its almost impossible to be situationally aware when you do that. Also my 5 shot Redhawk (custom pistol down by Hamilton Bowen in 45 Colt) is too big to run with so I usually end up just carrying my 9mm Glock 26 in a fanny pack. Not something I want to shoot a bear with. I would probably be fine but I admit I am afraid of bears. I have had to shoot 2 in the line of duty. 1 of those was one that charged me.

Pat

Touche...i have absolutely zero response to that rofl. :)

Best of luck brother, keep updating us in this thread with your progress.

WillBrink
12-25-09, 10:48
I have lost the weight before but it has come back so I am trying to do something that I can maintain.
pat

Congrats on getting the 10lbs off, but as you point out, keeping it off is the true challenge. To that end, see my article The Big Picture of Pemanent Weight Loss (http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/the-big-picture-of-permanent-weight-loss/) I wrote a while back for additional info on keeping it off.

Good luck.

M_anstrom
12-25-09, 23:57
I also have cut down on my portions and I try to eat when I am hungry just not much. So far I have lost 10 pounds in the last 3 weeks. \
pat

A big thing with losing weight is not necessarily lower the amount you eat but spread it into more meals. I eat a LOT of food but broken into about 5-6 meals a day. It helps raise your metabolism and keep your body from getting Catabolic. When it's Catabolic it's breaking down your muscles for energy. In fact the more muscle you keep the more muscle you'll burn off.

Another thing is to have some variety and change up you routine every couple weeks. If you keep the same routine your body will get used to it and that's how plateaus happen.

I could keep going but http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/newyearsguide.htm is good place to look for articles on the subject.

Also, Your name leads me to believe you're a LEO in alaska. Where you work? I'm an Air Force cop out at Eielson AFB, AK.

Alaskapopo
12-26-09, 05:39
A big thing with losing weight is not necessarily lower the amount you eat but spread it into more meals. I eat a LOT of food but broken into about 5-6 meals a day. It helps raise your metabolism and keep your body from getting Catabolic. When it's Catabolic it's breaking down your muscles for energy. In fact the more muscle you keep the more muscle you'll burn off.

Another thing is to have some variety and change up you routine every couple weeks. If you keep the same routine your body will get used to it and that's how plateaus happen.

I could keep going but http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/newyearsguide.htm is good place to look for articles on the subject.

Also, Your name leads me to believe you're a LEO in alaska. Where you work? I'm an Air Force cop out at Eielson AFB, AK.

I will send you a PM. Thanks for the advice.

novashooter
12-26-09, 10:39
IMHO this is the heat for getting in shape with excellent, cardio, endurance, core and overall strength!!!

As I know nothing about you if you want specifics send me a pm.

Jayson

RWK
12-26-09, 17:45
In the summer I don't like to run outside because of bears.

Find someone to run with you whom you know is slower than you... ;)

Heavy Metal
12-26-09, 18:14
Or make friends with the Bears. I hear feeding them works real well:D

Alaskapopo
01-07-10, 21:28
Make that 16 pounds lost now.
pat

Oscar 319
01-07-10, 21:44
Good job Pat.

I would seriously look into how many calories an hour running from bears burns. :D