PDA

View Full Version : 3.8 XDm and carry options

Icculus
12-24-09, 22:04
Hope this isn't a repost. I just stumbled on this.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/home.html

Having shot my dad's 4.5in XDm I have to say I'm not necessarily excited but definitely intrigued. To somewhat merge this find with some of my current thoughts and let you know where I'm coming from my only current pistol is a Sig 229, no rail, in 9mm (had a Kimber stainless II that I sold--stupid I'll never sell another gun if I don't have too). I'm currently in the market for a new conceal carry pistol; I love my Sig and do carry it occasionally in a M-Tac holster but I'm looking for something a bit lighter that hopefully I will carry more. The current front runners are:

MP9c--I've shot a full size 9 at a range that was in desperate need of some TLC and liked it. The trigger had the feel of one that as many here have probably experienced; started out crunchy and smoothed out over time with some rounds down the pipe. Wasn't great but was livable. Made me very intrigued about ToddG's trigger setup. I've held the compact both with and without the safety. I'll agree with many here that the safety is definitely in the wrong spot but I like the safety that my current DA/SA Sig provides with the heavy first trigger pull. With my current carry experience level I'd feel better not cutting the margin of error so close with a super light trigger pull with no safety. Just being honest with myself.

Sig P250 compact-- What can I say. Yes I've read much about Sig's current quality woes. Yes I've read about some folks with 250's experiencing occasional light primer strikes. Even with that, it's the most balanced trigger pull that I think I've felt. Just buttery smooth. DA only so its the same every time. Definitely not as sweet or as quick as the SA pull on my 229 but also not nearly as heavy on the first shot, yet still heavy enough for me to feel safe without a manual safety. The multiple caliber thing is cool but not a major selling point for me. Wish I could get the feel in hand of the M&P9c with this trigger pull.

HK P30--Read much about it in ToddG's posts. Have shot one a guy had at the range but it was a DA/SA and again while I LOVE my Sig's and think the DA/SA pistol has great merits, I'm more interested in the LEM models. Because I do love my Sig and others I've shot I think I want to commit the time to trying to master switching between DA/SA and DA only efficiently or in a emergency but really want to try and standardize so to speak on DA only and then have the DA/SA as fun pistols I enjoy at the range, etc. Seems somewhat large to conceal but also seems to satisfy my subconscious, but not numerically defined weight requirement.

Glocks are out. Shot them a great deal and I wish I could like them because I know they are quality pistols but for the most part the grip angle is no go for me. Did handle a very small .45 model, I guess the 30 or maybe the 36 and the grip angle was better but the trigger pull is still a little light for me to feel comfortable with as a carry pistol and I'd like to standardize (or at least have a backup) in the 9mm category before I expand on to something else.

So looping back to the 3.8 XDm. Seems to make the XDm package a little more concealable (although the grip size doesn't seem to have changed any). Has a lighter side, striker fired trigger but also the grip saftey. Any one have experiences with this new model or thoughts on my concealment choice.

Sorry if I rambled at all, I'm all the way through a Christmas Eve bottle of wine;) Happy holidays everyone and thanks for your opinions.