PDA

View Full Version : AR mags

Ragingpit
12-25-09, 18:02
I would like some new Mags for my AR-15 and was woundering what you guys thought were the best? I was looking at the MagPul or Lancer Systems brands. Thanks for the help.

Thomas M-4
12-25-09, 18:30
I use P-mags have not tried lancers yet.
I also use GI mags with magpul followers.
I have 1 HK high reliability :rolleyes: mag that has never locked the bolt back on the last shot and its brand new:mad:.

Bantee
12-25-09, 18:34
P-Mags all the way!

dutch308
12-25-09, 18:37
P-Mags are the way to go!!!!!

AirmanAtwood
12-25-09, 18:42
Pmags are awesome. But GI mags will do you well too

theblackknight
12-25-09, 19:48
Ive got boxes of Pmags and I think 18 Lancers. Both run awesome. Thats it.:D:D

GMZ
12-25-09, 19:59
I stock P-Mags and use GI mags for the range.

RogerinTPA
12-25-09, 20:15
Another vote for P-mags. Also USGI (NHMTG, OKAY w/green followers, just replace with MagPul Followers), Aluminum Mags from Bravo Company w/MagPul followers, DSG mags w Magpul followers, are all GTG. DSG still has 10 Gen I windowed Magpul mags for $99.99. http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/2605_25/magpul-window-pmag-gen-1-non-rev-m-foliage-green---10-pack.cfm

Joe Mamma
12-25-09, 21:39
I vote for GI mags with latest Magpul followers.

FYI, some people have reported difficulty with Magpul mags fitting into some guns' magwells and some mag pouches.

Joe Mamma

Failure2Stop
12-26-09, 01:32
Any magazine that works is a good magazine, so it comes down to cost to benefit ratio and expected lifespan.

I have about 50 GI mags, and about 40 of those have been upgraded with magpul followers of various generations. Normal cost to purchase- about $8 in today's market for good ones (I prefer OKay for no reason better than they have a proven record in my hands). The Magpul followers run $2 to $3 each. If you already have GI mags or can get a deal on them, they are good to go. If you get them for free (my favorite price), the $3 each for a follower is a great deal. The green followers as issued are ok, but I really prefer to hedge my bets and upgrade them. Be prepared to replace the springs and watch for feed-lip distortion.

If you are buying new mags, Pmags are (in my opinion) the best value. They have worked flawlessly for me and demonstrate a level of robustness that would make any grunt grin. They require no upgrades, regardless of what generation you get. They run from $9 to $14 per mag. Some require a few seconds of sand-paper application to drop free when empty from bolt-lock.

Lancer mags have worked well for me, but their spring is noticably weaker than the PMag springs. Most guys that I know that are serious about shooting that use the Lancers upgrade the springs. They are normally a few $ more expensive than PMags. Some guys really like that they are transparent(ish). It doesn't mean much to me, but I am used to using mags that do not permit me to count remaining rounds. I only have 6 of them, but they haven't given me any issues. I personally prefer PMags. The metal reinforced feed-lips do give a certain sense of durability absent in other polymer mags at first glance.

The Tango-Down poly mags have been reported to be decent, but not really any better than PMags (or E-Mags, depending on platform). This is not at all a hit against them, so if you want something like PMags, that aren't PMags, and are willing to pay a little more for them, they seem like a decent alternative. To be clear, I don't own any and have not used them, my information comes from others that have.

HK high-reliability mags are decent, but many users have noticed shorter spring life-span and a tendency to suffer from deformed feed-lips and tube dents. At $35 to $45 per mag they are difficult to justify unless you get a great deal on them or are issued them. I have been issued them and personally own about 20 of them. I would not pay the normal price for them personally. Given that one can buy 3 to 4 GI mags or PMags at the cost of one HK mag, I find it difficult to recommend them.

I avoid CProducts mags of any flavor (except their 5.45 mags since they are the only source), as well as most GI mags other than OKay or Colt due to my repeated experience of issued mags that sucked. I own a grand total of 1 Center mag, and I really don't like it even though it has never given me a problem :p.

Don't get married to any one magazine. The first time you get a mag-related stoppage, mark the mag and/or note it in your range book. The second time you get a mag related stoppage, mark the mag for use for training only (unless it is a spring or follower issue and you replace the suspected problem part). Magazines are a disposable item. If it is a repeat offender either relegate it to stoppage training or deep-six it. Life is too short for bad mags, and even shorter if you try to use it when your life is in the balance.

ZDL
12-26-09, 04:11

KingsideRook
12-26-09, 05:35
Lancer mags have worked well for me, but their spring is noticably weaker than the PMag springs. Most guys that I know that are serious about shooting that use the Lancers upgrade the springs. They are normally a few $ more expensive than PMags. Some guys really like that they are transparent(ish). It doesn't mean much to me, but I am used to using mags that do not permit me to count remaining rounds. I only have 6 of them, but they haven't given me any issues. I personally prefer PMags. The metal reinforced feed-lips do give a certain sense of durability absent in other polymer mags at first glance.

Out of curiousity, what mag springs will work in the lancer as an upgrade? Just grab some Wolff brand Ar15 mag springs? I ask be cause I wanted to get a few Lancers for training, and just to have a few clear mags for the hell of it, but this is twice I've heard the mags springs need an upgrade.

Belmont31R
12-26-09, 06:21
My personal experiences:

PMAGs- Have been the most reliable for me. I have around 40+ of them. RARELY an issue with the 30 round mags. I have had a couple 20rd mags not lock the bolt back on occasion but I also tend to load them with match 223 which is not full power 556 type ammo.

AL Mags- Stick with USGI. I like NHMTG and Okay mags a lot. Ive also had good luck with BCM mags with KAC followers. I do not think Magpul followers are a must but they certainly dont hurt anything. I really like having 20rd NHMTG mags around for loading the good ammo in like Black Hills 75gr, SSA 77gr 556, and Mk262 for range use as 30rd mags can hit the bench at the ranges Ive been to.

I would stay away from the "off brand" so called USGI mags. Ive had bad luck with CProducts mags, and have tossed more of them than anything. Even with Magpul followers they cause me more jams than everything else combined, and I dont have too many of them. I know quite a few people have also had problems with them.

Ive also bought 5 EMAGS for testing. So far I have around 500rds through them without an issue.

The best advice I can give on mags is do not be afraid to toss them. I like to use paint pens for both marking what type of ammo is in them as well as any failures. 3 failures on the range and the mag gets tossed. They are disposable items that go bad, and there is no point in keeping a bad mag around. All in all I have about 150 different AR mags.

ChicagoTex
12-26-09, 07:14
I really like having 20rd NHMTG mags around for loading the good ammo in like Black Hills 75gr, SSA 77gr 556, and Mk262 for range use as 30rd mags can hit the bench at the ranges Ive been to.

Plus from everything I've read, 20rd mags with standard green USGI followers are GTG because the straight box simplifies the feed.

I myself am currently buying a Pmag a month for the feeding of my new AR, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick some non C-Products USGI mags if I caught a good deal on them.

Bob Reed
12-26-09, 09:03
Hello,

I only buy and use COLT Factory 20 & 30 round mags, and actually much prefer the 20 rounders.

CarlosDJackal
12-26-09, 09:14
Most of the mags I use are the good old Aluminum 'GI' mags; mostly made by Brownells, D&H or Center Industries.

I also own quite a few PMags, about a half-dozen Lancer L5s, and a Tango Down mag. I have found that the polymer mags seem to be very sensitive to whether or not the lower receiver is within specs.

I do not like the TD mags because they reversed the round indexing of the follower. When loaded the top round is on the left instead of the right which screws me up every time.

When used with the proper receivers/guns, the PMags and Lancers seem to work very well. YMMV.

S391
12-26-09, 10:10
I have 20+ C-Products mags that I got with a gun that I bought a year or so ago and they seem to work well. However, I've purchased about a dozen Pmags and they are fantastic.

There are a lot of mags out there that will work but I'm sticking with Pmags; they work, are very well made, are tough and just flat out work.

larry0071
12-26-09, 10:34
Looking at the value, price vs product quality and reliability..... P-Mags are the logical one to get. If you refuse to purchase Magpul products for some personal reason, then you have to determine what lesser quality or what higher priced product would be next behind the Magpul P-Mag for you to get. Because top the P-Mag in overall value!

Quentin
12-26-09, 11:42
I've had excellent results from good GI mags with Magpul Gen3 followers. Even the stock green followers are all right but rough and nose dive at first when loading. BCM sells USGI with Magull followers for $9-10, can't see much reason to look further.

Ragingpit
12-26-09, 12:05
Thanks for all the info guys.... I watch that video of the chevy truck running over the P-mag over and over again...wow. I have also taken in the reviews on other sites and think I'm going to buy the P-Mags. Thanks again. ;)

bullseye
12-26-09, 18:50
Out of curiousity, what mag springs will work in the lancer as an upgrade? Just grab some Wolff brand Ar15 mag springs? I ask be cause I wanted to get a few Lancers for training, and just to have a few clear mags for the hell of it, but this is twice I've heard the mags springs need an upgrade.

also wondering,,, as i have a bunch of the 30,, and 20 rnd lancers. honestly though,, i haven't had one bobble with any of them, and i've probably fired 12-15 of the 30's, maybe 6 of the 20's---did any of you guys see the "shotgun news" write-up--shoot-out--mag test,, that placed lancers first????

7.62NATO
12-26-09, 19:02
Do not reload!?!!?

shootist~
12-26-09, 19:32
I've been on a tear recently upgrading my ARs and gear after shooting other guns for the past decade. PMags were part of my upgrade and they have exceeded my expectations.

As a test, manually strip a full 30 round metal mag by hand - PITA right? With the PMag, the rounds slide out smoothly with moderate thumb pressure. I'm guessing this improves reliability when a round is stripped by the bolt.

Include a few of the 30 round PMags with window for the cool factor.

Glin1216
12-26-09, 20:02
My HK mags worked great until I dropped them one too many times... now I use them when drilling to produce malfunctions. Works every time :rolleyes:
I have used the Lancers and liked them, they worked and I did not encounter many (if any) malfunctions. Convenient to be able to see your round count with a quick glance. That being said, the raised ribs on the body can make them difficult to extract from a magazine pouch.
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt275/Glin1216/Ghan/Pmag.jpg
I've been using P-Mags out here steadily, also using USGI magazines with MagPul followers. They have been great, I haven't encountered any issues.