PDA

View Full Version : Question about slide release on 1911...

jaxman7
12-25-09, 23:36
What's up fellas. I am new to this forum but not new to the gun world. Absolute gun nut. Anyway I have always been a 1911 fan. My grandfather got me into them and for years I for some reason or another kept trying other tools of the trade; M9s, USPs,XDs,Glocks,etc. After all that I am back to where I started. Just bought another 1911, a Para nite tac (single stack/single action). Love the gun (although finish sucks) but I am having a problem with her. My muscle memory through training has me releasing the slide by grabbing the rear of it and not the slide release itself. For some reason this gun will NOT do this thus forcing me to use that dang release. I've shot other 1911s and have never seen this problem arise. So after all that, here is my question. Does anyone know if after some break in( this is a 'brand new' gun with 500 rounds through it) will this problem stop or should I head to the tool box and shave down the contact area on the slide release. Thanks for the help. Hope ya'll had a Merry Christmas.

silentsod
12-25-09, 23:49
Is there any sort of recoil buffer placed between the recoil spring and guide rod assembly? If so that may keep the slide from traveling far enough to the rear to disengage the slide release.

Is there a particular reason you do not want to use the slide release in order to drop the slide?

jaxman7
12-25-09, 23:57
Yeh I sure do. A Wilson Combat buffer. When I get home tomorrow I'll take that thing out and see if it releases. Now I feel like an idiot. Should have thought of that. As far as not wanting to use the release, like I said it's just muscle memory same as on my AR. When I use my buddies AR with a standard left side safety I am 'lost' because I have an ambi and engage it with my trigger finger. Personal preference and thats what I am used to. Thanks for the tip on the buffer man.

jaxman7
12-27-09, 20:11
Yeh thats what it was. Took the buffer out and now it works like a charm. Thanks again.

nking
12-27-09, 22:12
This is one of many reasons I dislike recoil buffers and refuse to run them in my 1911's. They shorten the travel of the slide and can become battered. If they are not changed often, they can tear or break apart and cause malfunctions.

After nearly 10,000 rounds through a few 1911's I am unable to see significant wear on the vertical impact surface of the frame.

jaxman7
12-28-09, 19:52
Yeh I agree nking. The classes I started going to got me into racking the slide with my hand (gross motor skills making it easier to manipulate) and when I got back into the 1911 I would put the buffer in and not know why it wouldn't release. So yeh I agree, no more buffers. My 1911 has a steel slide and frame so it'll be fine.

Jason Burton
12-30-09, 20:50
Just to add to what has been said here a shock-buff can indeed reduce the slide stroke enough to cause the slide to no longer to release via the “sling-shot/over-hand” racking method and in some instances the buff can flat out prevent the gun from running correctly. Much of this will depend on the specific gun.

One point of clarity here is that a shock-buff does not prevent undue wear on the vertical impact surface as that is what the barrel feet impact during link down. The shock-buff will cushion the impact between the frame and the slide and may (on a long enough timeline) reduce the battering effects between the two parts but all and all nothing can take the place of proper recoil spring replacement intervals.

Even in high mileage/heavy use guns I’ve never been a believer in shock-buffs... YMMV.