PDA

View Full Version : Geissele SSA vs. Stag ambi...

billybronco
12-25-09, 23:55
I just read earlier of my new trigger perhaps not being so compatible with the only damn ambi safety I could find two months ago.

Any truth to this or should I get it done?

I missed out on the LMT's at Rainier.

ThirdWatcher
12-26-09, 04:36
Both of my Geissele SSA-equipped carbines have ambi safeties (unknown brand). IIRC, the instructions with the trigger said it could be installed with the (regular) safety in place. In both cases, I ended up removing the safety to facilitate the installation of the trigger. I don't know if this required for all ambi's though.

seb5
12-26-09, 08:49
Both of my Geissele SSA-equipped carbines have ambi safeties (unknown brand). IIRC, the instructions with the trigger said it could be installed with the (regular) safety in place. In both cases, I ended up removing the safety to facilitate the installation of the trigger. I don't know if this required for all ambi's though.

Ditto here. 1 DPMS, 1 Stag ambi with SSA'a. I did the same as Thirdwatcher.

Left Sig
12-26-09, 09:58
My Stag ambi works fine with my SSA. Can't remember if I had to remove it or not to install the trigger but that's no big deal.

The big deal is that the safety now functions as an overtravel stop. With the trigger pulled all the way, and bottoming out in the safety notch, there was less than 0.010" clearance between the sear surfaces on the hammer and trigger. I ended up stoning the notch on the safety a few thousandths deeper to get at least .010" clearance. I used a piece of 0.010" guitar string as a feeler gauge.

The end effect is actually great - minimal overtravel and a hard OT stop than cannot go out of adjustment.

The clearance spec comes from the Hi-Speed trigger manual - I have one of those in another AR that also has a Stag ambi safety. With the Hi-Speed you have to wide the safety notch because the trigger is wider than normal.

C4IGrant
12-26-09, 15:15
I just read earlier of my new trigger perhaps not being so compatible with the only damn ambi safety I could find two months ago.

Any truth to this or should I get it done?

I missed out on the LMT's at Rainier.

The part that was the issue (in the past) was the back of the trigger would not fit into the channel in the selector.

If it does not fit, some lite filing/sanding should fix exerything.

If you run into a problem, I have CMT ambi-selectors and might even have and LMT or two sitting around that I can check against the SSA's I have in stock.

C4

10MMGary
12-26-09, 19:59
My Geissele designated marksman rifle trigger fit with a Stag/CMT ambi selector with no problems. I do however completely remove the ambi to install, I have been told I need not do so but have never tried. My SSA trigger didn't fit with the first Stag/CMT ambi selector but did with another I had, again I remove the entire selector assembly whenI installed. Also not that it makes any difference, but I was installing the Geissele triggers on lowers already in use .

billybronco
12-26-09, 22:06
Thanks again to all who replied. I reckon I'm good to go. It's in, has positive action and it don't go boom when pointed forward.

There is more play in the safety especially when on fire but i guess function is all that matters.

BTW, this trigger is the cat's ass.