PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 vs 590??

Daekwan
12-26-09, 08:13
I was looking at picking up a Mossberg 500.. but I was advised the 590 with ghost ring sights was a much better choice.

I understand why the ghost ring is a better setup than the bead sight.. but do u know what makes the 590 better?

Looking to purchase in the next month. Any recommendations where to purchase from, or just pick it up from my local dealer and forget the shipping/FFL transfer fees.

TOrrock
12-26-09, 08:59
I was looking at picking up a Mossberg 500.. but I was advised the 590 with ghost ring sights was a much better choice.

I understand why the ghost ring is a better setup than the bead sight.. but do u know what makes the 590 better?

Looking to purchase in the next month. Any recommendations where to purchase from, or just pick it up from my local dealer and forget the shipping/FFL transfer fees.

The biggest advantage of the 590 over the 500 is the ease of replacing the magazine spring if needed, and the ability to clean the magazine tube.

The end cap on the 590 comes off of the magazine tube, allowing access.

I would absolutely go with the 590 over the 500, and I'd go with the 870 over the 590.

Rider79
12-26-09, 09:08
While we're on this subject, what's the difference between a Mossberg Maverick 88 and a 500?

ST911
12-26-09, 10:53
If you buy a Mossberg, buy a 590A1. A 590** thereafter. Don't let a salesman tell you the A1 and SP are the same. Consider a 500 only if the 590 isn't available.

Mavericks are not on the list. Seriously economized, and suitable for lightest and most infrequent use only. I would pass up a free one.

Rem 870P tops the heap. Get one if you can.

Daekwan
12-27-09, 08:51
You guys freakin rock! I guess im going with the Rem870. Any particular reasons why the 870 is a better gun?

HeavyDuty
12-27-09, 10:09
What's your intended use? I'll make the argument that the 500/590 is a better civvie house gun because the safety position is more suited to the average shooter. I wouldn't use one in a high volume or extreme environment situation, though - 870 all the way there.

TOrrock
12-27-09, 15:46
You guys freakin rock! I guess im going with the Rem870. Any particular reasons why the 870 is a better gun?

Durability, reliability.

The 870 Police is the Gold Standard of defensive pump shotguns, and has been for 50 years.

Take a look at some of the stuck threads here in the forum.

ST911
12-27-09, 20:48
What Templar said.

And do note that we are specifying the 870P. Other variations of the 870 are good guns, but lack some of the mods, improvements, and QC of the P-series. 870Ps can be found on the used market, and usually pretty reasonably.

Tougher call: A choice between an 870 Express and a 590A1.

Shadow_otw
12-28-09, 01:22
[QUOTE=Skintop911;525405]...Mavericks are not on the list. Seriously economized, and suitable for lightest and most infrequent use only. I would pass up a free one.

/QUOTE]

Thats a silly statement. There are several Mavricks still operating in the sandbox. Yes, they are cheaper...and they will still blow the dick off of some asshole that threatens you.

Mossys have been a staple of th USMC for many years. I like the 870s, but I personally dont think they are the top of the pump food chain.

Maverick shotguns are assembled in Eagle Pass Texas from parts that are made just across the border in Mexico.
Another term for the guns, not intended as derogatory,is "Mexican Mossbergs".

Mavericks differ from Mossberg 500s by having a trigger housing mounted sliding crossbolt safety instead of the top tang safety.
They also use a cheaper to produce one piece molded forearm action tube assembly instead of the Mossberg three piece action tube-forend-action tube nut.
Except for the stripped receivers, trigger group assemblies and Mossberg top tang safety assembly, all other parts are interchangable between the guns including barrels.

If you are thinking about a pistol grip on your Mossberg or Maverick, or any pumpgun for that matter, this Pachmayer assembly is the only way to go.
All other pistol grips I have ever tried on a number of different shotguns became painful to use after five shots or less of any kind of load that could be considered effective.
This gun also features a Pachmayer forend mounted on a Mossberg 500 6.75" action tube assembly.

This Maverick 88 went to Iraq with a Military Police unit along with a couple others suitably modified

These guns were built for the purpose of door and gate breeching.
They were further modified in Iraq, one was fitted with a duckbill choke and others had the barrels further shortened.

They remained there after the unit came home.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/Shadow_otw/Zombie-Death/Mavrick88.jpg

vetsvette
12-28-09, 02:02
I carried an Ithaca in SEA, but I like my 870.

ST911
12-28-09, 11:26
Thats a silly statement. There are several Mavricks still operating in the sandbox. Yes, they are cheaper...and they will still blow the dick off of some asshole that threatens you. Mossys have been a staple of th USMC for many years. I like the 870s, but I personally dont think they are the top of the pump food chain.

<Balance snipped>

Interesting post, and thanks for your service.

My experience with Mavericks is not as positive as yours. A trainer friend sees a lot of them enter his courses but fail to finish. When asked, OFM will usually recommend against the Maverick for use in LE service in favor of other models, citing the intended market for the Maverick, and resultant differences in durability and reliability users can expect.

That some portion of the military uses the Maverick means little. Every branch of service has both gold standards and garbage in inventory. Did the unit(s) you mention take a standard production Maverick? With or without modification to critical internals? In what quantity? Pre-emptive PM? PM intervals? How many rounds? All useful information.

Shadow_otw
12-28-09, 12:08
I never said that Mav 88's were the end-all-be-all...my point is that they are not a cheap piece of crap and are valueless.

Does your friend know how the "trainees" treated the mavs? How many rounds went through them? What were the 'trainees' PM schedules? What ammo?

I agree your questions are good...they work both ways.