PDA

View Full Version : SureFire X200 or Streamlight TLR1 and Holsters and 1911 rail ?'s

Glockster35
03-17-07, 22:20
I have two firearms I am thinking of adding a light to.

One is a 1911, the other, my namesake Glock 35. One of these will be used as my nightstand home defense pistol.

I do not have a 1911 add-on rail yet, and am looking for hard facts! What have you used, and what do you like?

The Glock is ready to go, I just need to put the original trigger system back in it.

Lastly, who makes good quality hideaway holster (prefer to mount it behind my nightstand) that will fit either of these pistols with said light of choice?

Thanks!

R Moran
03-18-07, 02:07
I have the Dawson rail on a Custom Kimber and a custom light rail(made by a DOE armorer) on acustom Colt. They both are attached by 3 screws/bolts.

I have more rounds thru the Colt, no problems and its still tight.

The Dawson is lower profile and will fit many leather holsters with alittle stretching. Was able to get it into a Milt Sparks summer special. The Dawson only works w/ the Surefire Mil light or X200 with an adapter.

I use both in a 6004 made for a integral rail 1911( Kimber warrior, SA operator) w/ an M3/6 mounted. Its important to get it for that light, as its bigger then the X200, thus making room for the add on rail.

I also have and used (not much though) a Surefire MR07 mount. It uses a 2 piece slidestop to mount, and is secure. Its much higher profile then the other 2, but it fit in the same 6004, w/ no problems. It is more involved in removing and attaching, so it kinda makes going from tactical/bedstand to concealed a bit of a PITA. Buts it cheaper and DIY, and a great option if you don't want to alter your gun.

As far as lights, I use a tlr-1 at work and it blows away the M3 we used to use, my personal guns have X200's though, an A and a B. I like the B model better. The X200 is smaller and easier to attach/remove, but its about $150 more.

Can't help on the holster, 90% of my shooting is done from a 6004, and I don't see the need to cahnge that. I think its gonna be hard getting a good holster that will fit both properly.

HTH,
Bob

Glockster35
03-18-07, 08:33
Thanks for that info.

By your post, I assume you prefer thte Surefire B model over the TLR1. The $150 will be a factor in my purchase.

I am not against using the 6004 for this purpose, and I am sure I can find a way to safely rig it up. I use a 6004 at work, and have come to like it a lot!

Maybe I am going to stick with using it on the Glock, until I can find a 1911 with rail that I just have to have!

Erick Gelhaus
03-18-07, 10:23
For about 3 years I used a Dawson Rail and a SF Nitrolon light on my duty 1911. As has been mentioned, drop the light and you can put a pistol with a Dawson rail in most holsters. It had the horseshoe shaped pressure switch for the grip. This is now a house / spare pistol.

Late last year I moved to a pistol with frame mounted rails and the SF X200b. I did not start using this combination on duty until the switches were released. Once a DG switch made it to my hands & I had a holster for the combination, it became my new duty pistol.

The M3/M6 or the TLR- models only have rocker switches fielded that require either really long fingers or use of the support hand. A bunch of my co-workers recently figured this out during a low-light qualification.

The deciding factor -for me- between the SF lights and anyone else's is the grip/frame mounted activation switch. I can turn the light on or off with the shooting hand, while my support hand does whatever else it needs to do.

R Moran
03-18-07, 10:35
Eric,
I've seen pressure switches for the M3 frm Streamlight, not sure if it would work with the TLR, but it removes the toggle switch completly, which in turn takes away your switching options(no constant on) so I skipped it.

Glockster,
HAven't had any real problems with the TLR and for the price, I'd probably get one. We have some problems with our G22 since they were added. I personaly thinks its the gun and not the light, were still researching it, though.

Bob

Cesiumsponge
03-18-07, 13:23
I use the Streamlight TLR-1 on a Kimber Warrior...I just couldn't justify the extra $150 for the Surefire when the features were basically identical. If there was a signifigant difference that justified the premium, I'd go for the Surefire, but in this case, there was no huge edge in my opinion. Both have great reviews.

I still haven't found a good concealed holster to date for it though much to my dismay.