PDA

View Full Version : input on the G36

Shawn.L
12-27-09, 10:53
I have been thinking of replacing my snubby with a G36 for when the Conceal, in CC is paramount.

Anyone have any input on these?

I have heard from one person I respect that these have had a lot of trouble.

thanks

C-Fish
12-27-09, 11:41
Disclaimer, I'm not a professional, but have owned (do own) the following Glock models.
17 (have)
19 (have)
21 (have)
I've shot thousands of rounds and all (except the 36) have been reliable.

Getting back to the original question...
Glock 36.
I had one for a brief period. No matter what I did, I had consistent FTF issues.

Tried numerous different ammo and shooting styles. Sometimes could get a mag to cycle 100%, sometimes I'd have numerous failures with the same mag that had just functioned.

Sold it off...I'll stick to my 19 for EDC.

Jake0331
12-27-09, 11:45
Kicks like a mule, but carries really nice. If you're not very strong in your grip, the G36 is not the best choice for a subcompact .45. I bought mine from dtibbals and he included +1 floorplates and new springs. After adding the floorplates, it was much easier to control. I've had no negative issues, but have only had the pistol for a month and 500 rounds.

ST911
12-27-09, 12:08
The G36 is often referred to as "the Glock that isn't." They are the quirkiest of the line. I know a couple that run extremely well, but they are only shooting two particular loads. (They may run with others, but they're not being fed them.) Others are tempermental.

The early ones were the worst. As tweaks were made, later production seems to be more forgiving. IIRC, there were changes to the magazine and feedway geometry. Others can likely provide better info.

Consider the G26, a proven performer, and also incredibly concealable and size efficient.

ToddG
12-27-09, 12:13
I've never seen one that runs well.

mike benedict
12-27-09, 12:22
The magazines for the G36 are a problematic design at best.
My G36 runs well with ball profile ammo. Gold Dots are my carry ammo
I did go through several magazines till I found some that worked.
I just sent the ones with issues back and got new ones.

If Glock wanted to re-design the mags it would be a great carry pistol.
But currently you might want to stick to a Glock 19

Mike

Shawn.L
12-27-09, 16:48
well, that brings me to the G26 then.

that G36 was soooo nice looking though, I really need thinner rather than longer, oh well.

the Walther PPS 9mm looks good too, but so does the EMP, except they have to actually run. I know the EMP doesnt, and the PPS doesnt have much real world feedback on it yet.

restfortheweary
01-03-10, 11:18
I bought one 2 months ago and have about 1000 rnds through it. I don't love the mags; however, I haven't had any malfunctions. I fired the 30SF after my purchase and it is not much larger. If you want to stick with the .45 I would go with the 30SF, if not you can't go wrong with a G26.

VooDoo6Actual
01-03-10, 12:39
I have zero problems w/ mine and I carry it daily as BUG.

skyugo
01-03-10, 17:08
well, that brings me to the G26 then.

that G36 was soooo nice looking though, I really need thinner rather than longer, oh well.

the Walther PPS 9mm looks good too, but so does the EMP, except they have to actually run. I know the EMP doesnt, and the PPS doesnt have much real world feedback on it yet.

the G26 is an amazing gun. smooth and pleasant to shoot, very accurate. if you like the G17 or G19 you'll feel right at home with it. 9mm is really what glock does best.

the G36 is probably the worst glock... that said, i think most of the bugs are worked out now... but i'd still pick something else.

JonInWA
01-04-10, 07:51
FWIW, I've found that once you start adding extended magazine floorplates to aid in shootability of the G26/G27/G33/G36, for all practical purpose in terms of grip concealability/size you're at the same size (albeit with a shorter slide length) as the intrinsically more managable G19/G23/G32/G38...And/or the G30/G29.

Best, Jon

Animal_Mother556
01-04-10, 08:06
I have zero problems w/ mine and I carry it daily as BUG.

Same here, bro. I am not trying to say that the other guys are lying about having problems with them however.

Littlelebowski
01-04-10, 08:14
My EMP runs well. Not a class gun but well.

Had the PPS; it did not like WWB.

Paul45
01-04-10, 08:59
I like anything .45 acp but the G36 is one that I have not a good relationship with. I have many Glocks but I sold the G36. I would rather have the extra size and dependability of my G30

RyanB
01-04-10, 09:58
It is usually identified as one of the most problematic Glock models.

Personally all the Glocks I carry are 9 and 10mm.

VooDoo6Actual
01-04-10, 11:02
Same here, bro. I am not trying to say that the other guys are lying about having problems with them however.

Exactly, nor am I.

Reddevil
01-04-10, 19:41
I carried one for about a year. I bought it used and kept it stock. I never had a malfunction in the over 500 rounds I fired through it. It's gotten a bad reputation but I think it's because people would add extended this and that doodads to them. it's a slim gun and fits in most G19/23 holsters. I much preferred it to my G30. Recoil was a bit more stout, but not more than my G23. I only sold it to fund a M&P 340 which it replaced. I'm sure the new ones are less prone to any problems. All the internet stories about them being lemons are quite a few years old. I'd definitely buy another one in a heartbeat, but I like keep all my handguns in .40cal and .38/.357 ammo since it's free:D

SWATcop556
01-05-10, 01:44
FWIW, I've found that once you start adding extended magazine floorplates to aid in shootability of the G26/G27/G33/G36, for all practical purpose in terms of grip concealability/size you're at the same size (albeit with a shorter slide length) as the intrinsically more managable G19/G23/G32/G38...And/or the G30/G29.

Best, Jon

Agreed. I carry a G26 for CCW/off-duty and use the Pearce grip ext that does not add rounds. I view it like those who have the bobtail 1911's. It help a little with concealment and printing and feels much better shooting with rather than without. I carry a G19 mag as a reload.

I use to own a G36 and while mine functioned well for the 1000 or so rounds I put through it, it just wasn't for me. Traded it for a G19 for the wife.

forgiven
01-05-10, 13:11
I've never seen one that runs well.

I will second this, a G26 would be much better.