PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Forend Grip - Translating Magpul Rifle Technique

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-27-09, 23:33
I was wondering how one would, (and I'm guessing that they would), translate the high-hand rifle grip that Magpul and others teach to shotguns? Would it work for pump and Auto loaders?

I'm thinking that there are a couple of significant problems, especially with pump guns. One is that the forend doesn't go all the way around the barrel, so your thumb and palm would be resting on the barrel. The other is that the sighting systems are usually right on the barrel, so with a high hand grip, your hand will be in the sight plane.

I've noticed that the Siaga 12 shotguns might allow the use of the high hand because the forend goes all the way around, but the sight plane is pretty low. I saw the FN pump shotguns (1300 knock-offs?) that have the raised sight plane with AR type sights. The FN gun also uses AR stocks that fit in line with the bore- would this also help with muzzle rise?

Is getting the thumb high enought to exert downward pressure on the barrel during recoil a big enough advantage to try to work the shotgun ergonomics to make it work?

I've tried to dry-fire and rack an 870 with a high-thumb grip, and it seems the angle made by the elbow make the racking action a little awkward.

Failure2Stop
12-28-09, 10:24
Axes aren't swords, and shotguns aren't ARs.
Each has it's own technique that will get the most out of the platform. Aspects of the AR technique can be applied to the shotgun, but I would focus more on shooting the individual gun well than trying to shoe-horn something into a technique that it really isn't built for it.

YammyMonkey
01-02-10, 00:31
Look around for pictures of good trap/skeet shooters. Most use a thumb/index finger forward grip that can be put to use with a pump & provides pointability & control similar to the competition AR grip.