PDA

View Full Version : LA - Man defends against 3 robbers.

Irish
12-28-09, 13:36
Situational awareness, preparedness and listening to your instincts helped this man and wife prevail in this attempted armed robbery. Chalk another one up for the good guys and always listen to your "Spidey sense" ;)

http://www.examiner.com/x-18149-SelfDefense-Examiner~y2009m12d27-Alexandria-LA-business-owner-defends-himself-against-3-armed-robbers

The owner of an Alexandria, Louisiana fireworks stand reportedly used his handgun to fend off three armed robbers.

Police say that the husband and wife who own the fireworks stand were preparing to close for the day when the wife noticed a young man acting suspiciously. The wife reportedly notified her husband, at which point he got his gun and kept it ready. At closing time, the suspicious young man and two accomplices drew their handguns as part of a robbery attempt, police say. The fireworks stand owner reportedly then drew and fired his own gun in self defense, ending the violent robbery. One of the suspected robbers, 20 year old old Sheldon Fisher, died at the scene while another suspect, 18 year old Charvick Rachal, survived and was listed in stable condition at a local hospital, according to police. Rachal will reportedly face armed robbery charges upon his release from the hospital, and police are seeking a third suspect. The husband and wife who own the fireworks stand were unharmed.

As this and countless other cases show, armed citizens are capable of defending themselves and their loved ones from violent attacks. Every day, armed citizens stop burglars, robbers, rapists, kidnappers, and every other type of violent criminal. Unarmed citizens, on the other hand, are often left at the (non-existent) mercy of criminals who care more about more about stealing money than the lives of their victims. Given those facts, it seems prudent to be prepared for self defense, just as it is prudent to wear a seatbelt while driving a car.

kihnspiracy
12-28-09, 13:39
Good for him for keeping his head on a swivel.

ZDL
12-28-09, 13:40

Ghostface03
12-28-09, 13:57
Good for them.

Alex V
12-28-09, 14:18
Way to go!

I wish I could get a CCW in NJ... I would not so much as go to walk the dog w/o a side arm. Not sure I need it, but when I do, I would sure like to have it.

My GF and I just bought a condo, and I go to bed with my AR by our bed. All our friends say "Dude, you live in East Brunswick, whats going to happen here?" Assuming that yes, it is a safe town but better safe than sorry.

I get made fun of, sure. But I also sleep well at night.

bulbvivid
12-28-09, 14:56
A little more info here: thetowntalk.com (http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20091227/NEWS01/912270312/Police-still-seek-third-man-in-fireworks-stand-shooting)

Irish
12-28-09, 14:59
A little more info here: thetowntalk.com (http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20091227/NEWS01/912270312/Police-still-seek-third-man-in-fireworks-stand-shooting)

Here ya go:
A fireworks stand operator who shot two alleged robbers on Christmas Day isn't expected to face any charges stemming from the incident, according to a spokesman for the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office.

The shooting left one Alexandria man dead, another hospitalized and a third on the run. Sheriff's Maj. Jerome Hopewell said Sheldon Fisher, 20, of Alexandria was shot and killed after he and two others reportedly tried to rob an Alexandria fireworks stand near the intersection of South MacArthur and Jeff Davis drives.
Charvick Rachal, 18, also of Alexandria, was shot at least one time in the arm and remains in a hospital in critical condition. Fisher, Rachal and a third man reportedly approached a man and woman at Crooks Fireworks stand around 6:20 p.m., all armed with handguns.
Hopewell said the operator shot at the suspects -- hitting two of them -- out of self-defense. The man's name has not been released, and he isn't expected to face charges, he said.
During the investigation Friday night, deputies thought they might have the third person in custody. The man had been associated with the suspects earlier in the day and had been at the same home with them just before the shooting, Hopewell said. But after thoroughly questioning him and several others throughout the night and into Saturday, he isn't suspected to be involved.
Charges of at least attempted robbery are pending against Rachal. He could face other weapons charges in connection with the shooting as well, Hopewell said.
Last April, Rachal graduated from the Youth Challenge Program, the Louisiana National Guard's 22-week military discipline and education program.
A few months later, in November, he was arrested and charged with second-offense illegal carrying of a weapon, illegal possession of a stolen firearm and resisting arrest by flight. He pleaded guilty in February to possession of a stolen firearm and was given two years probation, according to court records.
Anyone with information about the shooting and robbery or the whereabouts of the still unknown third suspect is asked to call the Sheriff's Office detective's office at (318) 473-6727, the main number at (318) 487-6700 or Rapides Parish Crime Stoppers at (318) 443-7867.

bulbvivid
12-28-09, 15:07
I'd like to hear something from the victim, just out of curiosity about how it went down. From what I can guess, the robbers approached with guns out and the owner started firing. That's long odds there, three on one.

And to beat it all the injured 18-year-old just graduated from a National Guard discipline program. Sounds like he got a second chance and blew it, then a third chance with probation. I have a feeling he won't get a fourth, but then again. . . .

dirksterg30
12-28-09, 15:25
Way to go!

I wish I could get a CCW in NJ... I would not so much as go to walk the dog w/o a side arm. Not sure I need it, but when I do, I would sure like to have it.

My GF and I just bought a condo, and I go to bed with my AR by our bed. All our friends say "Dude, you live in East Brunswick, whats going to happen here?" Assuming that yes, it is a safe town but better safe than sorry.

I get made fun of, sure. But I also sleep well at night.

I live in a very low crime suburb of Pittsburgh. When a relative asked me why I CCW/carry in the house, I said it's not because of the likelihood of a criminal attack, but because of the possible results of a criminal attack. I value my wife's life and my own too much to go unarmed.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-28-09, 15:37
I like the story, especially because of the 3 v 1 aspect. I always get from naysayers and family that you can't out draw someone, or that once they get a gun in your face there is nothing you can do. I agree with them and tell them that their SA sucks if they get in that position. That's why I tell my wife to get her head out of her purse and when I say the danger word, I'm not kidding and she had better do exactly what I say.

3 to 1
2 to 1
1 to 1
1 to run.

RogerinTPA
12-28-09, 15:57
Excellent outcome! Too bad the 3rd perp got away "lead free".

twodollarbill
12-28-09, 16:08
I like it!!!!