PDA

View Full Version : surefire ear plugs

shakyjake64
03-18-07, 22:54
Has anyone used the new ear plugs by surefire (EP3 sonic defenders). They supposedly block out excessive noise but allow you to hear at normal levels.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24306/sesent/00

tikkafan
03-18-07, 23:12
From the site " 9 decibel Noise Reduction Rating"

Shooting while wearing these will damage your hearing. 5.56 from a 16" barrel is about 164 db, OSHA hearing safe db levels are 140 db.

shakyjake64
03-19-07, 01:10
thanks tikka...good to know and will help me make a decision on buying them!

rhino
03-19-07, 15:18
I have a pair that I've used quite a bit while firing an AR and other guns.

The NRR number quoted above has to be the value for when there is no loud sound (i.e. no sudden pressure waves). The plugs have baffles in them and when a high pressure sound (like from an AR) hits, they provide significantly more hearing protection.

There are a variety of similar baffled earplugs on the market (e.g. Silencio) that work the same way. The Surefire version is a lot more comfortable.

If you prefer to "double plug" they're probably not a great choice since wearing them under earmuffs (electronic or non) will preven the baffles from doing any good.

Buckaroo
03-19-07, 16:07
From the website:

Their low-profile design means you won't have to remove them while wearing a helmet, mask or hat, or before using the phone, a headset or supplemental ear muffs. Bolded by me...

Also check out this tech sheet. http://www.surefire.com/pdfs/EP3_tech_copy.pdf

Looks like I need to try some. Wonder how I will figure out which size I need... Grant?

sjauch
03-19-07, 22:19
I have a pair and am quite happy with them. I use them alone when on the outdoor range, handguns and AR's. I've worn them under Comtac's when at the indoor range. They are very comfortable and do a fine job at reducing the sound level.

RainingBrass
03-31-07, 23:09
I use these for SWAT and they allow you to hear normally (slightly muffled, but okay) yet block sounds above a certain level. I have also used them for entire range training days and they are fine. They are comfortable and safe for both rilfe and handgun noises, but for a whole day of rilfe shooting you would probably want something more.

I thnk their niche is on actual ops where you need to wear a helmet, etc., or don't want the bulk or size of powered earmuffs. For the range, they will work but are probably not ideal. I like them becuase they are $9.99 and don't need batteries every two hours like the $400 pair of powered "hearing aids" I was issued!

Resq47
03-31-07, 23:33
Might be a good option for gas mask use then eh?

C4IGrant
04-01-07, 08:00
From the website:
Bolded by me...

Also check out this tech sheet. http://www.surefire.com/pdfs/EP3_tech_copy.pdf

Looks like I need to try some. Wonder how I will figure out which size I need... Grant?

The medium size seems to fit most people and is what I stock.

I have used these a lot as an emergency for when I forget my COMTAC's and when I am just shooting pistol. They are very comfortable to say the least and small enough to take them everywhere.

C4