PDA

View Full Version : Anyone carry a wheel gun as their primary?

jeremy45
12-28-09, 23:22
I am just curious to know if anyone carries a revolver as their primary concealed carry weapon. If so, what do you carry and what do you carry it in.

I'd also like to hear everyone's thoughts on a revolver as a primary CCW even if you don't thinks it's a viable option.

Jeremy45

Alpha Sierra
12-28-09, 23:29
I used to carry wheelguns exclusively. Now I carry semis about 70% of the time. But I still carry wheelguns and do not feel under gunned with one.

When I carry a revolver, 99% of the time it is a 4" fixed sight K frame. Either a Model 65 stoked with 125 grain .357 Magnums or a Model 64 loaded with 158 grain .38 Special +Ps.

This is an older pic when I carried in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I no longe use that holster, having found a much better IWB option from Lobo Gunleather. I used to carry the speedloader loose in a pocker but now I carry it in a belt pouch made by Simply Rugged. The rounds split the belt making the speedloader a very low profile unit.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/pic029.jpg

Lobo Gunleather
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC00370.jpg

I also carry in a leather pancake made by John O'Rourke

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC00363.jpg

Revolvers are easier for me to hide and are still the handgun that offers me the best combination of speed and accuracy.

Mr. Smith
12-29-09, 14:41
I like to carry the revolver I shoot the most. I carry this gun in the winter almost all the time.
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/GREY%20625/100_0970.jpg
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/GREY%20625/100_0971.jpg
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/GREY%20625/100_0972.jpg

skyugo
12-29-09, 14:45

i'm digging the matching pipe :D

sudnit5
12-29-09, 15:15
A couple of my partners carry revolvers. They have them in Safariland retention holsters. I carry semi-auto though.

oldtexan
12-29-09, 18:14
I am just curious to know if anyone carries a revolver as their primary concealed carry weapon. If so, what do you carry and what do you carry it in.

I'd also like to hear everyone's thoughts on a revolver as a primary CCW even if you don't thinks it's a viable option.

Jeremy45

Back in the late 1970s I carried S&W N frames, first a Model 28 with 6" barrel then later a Model 57 with 4" barrel. I carried in a shoulder holster and wore a suit most days. Around 1980 I came to the conclusion that a 1911 would give me greater capacity, be easier for me to shoot with speed and accuracy, and be easier for me to carry.

I now carry a Glock 34 as my primary in a Raven Phantom worn as an IWB. Revolvers are good guns ( I carry a 642 as a backup to the 34) but I have concerns with them as primary carry guns. The first and biggest concern for me is capacity. I view a 5-8 round gun as being marginal to adequate against one opponent, and inadequate against two or more opponents.

My understanding is that in real gunfights people miss a lot (caused by fear, dynamic movement of the shooter and target, poor lighting, injury, etc). If I carried a revolver as my primary gun, it would be unrealistic for me to think that all (or even most) of the 5-8 rounds in it would contribute effectively to ending the threat.

DJK
12-29-09, 18:27
I carried revolvers for about 20 years too. Mostly a .41 magnum, then a not as heavy 3" k frame. Two years ago, I bought a full size M&P9. My 3" loaded with 6 rounds weights 2lbs. My M&P loaded with 18 rounds weights 2lbs. Guess which one I carry. I may be slow, but I'm not stupid.:D

R.J.
12-29-09, 18:42
Yep,I sure do. If for no other reason than I just like this little fella. A 5 shot SP101 .357. I keep my protection ammo very bland and non descript. Blazer 158gr HP. Not much there for the press to feed on should I ever need to use it. Cheap generic stuff. My duty weapon is a G17. I carry 3 mags of 124gr +P Ranger for it. I have carried a G19 off duty, but this little guy just feels good in the Bianchi pancake and I shoot it well. Believe it or not, I have carried a 3" N frame .44 full of XTP 240. It takes a pretty long shirt tail, but it does work :cool:.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/DWCalls/100_0935.jpg

12-29-09, 19:06
The rounds carried in a wheel gun vs. a double stack or even single puts me off. My opinion only counts for me. I do look at what certain respected entities carry and I know of none that carry revolvers anymore. Tactical reloads? Of course, I could be wrong as I have been many times. But, if one likes it, go for it.

Alpha Sierra
12-29-09, 20:35
I like to carry the revolver I shoot the most. I carry this gun in the winter almost all the time.
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/GREY%20625/100_0970.jpg
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/GREY%20625/100_0971.jpg
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/GREY%20625/100_0972.jpg

Details, please?

That looks like a PC 625 variation that I have never seen.

Alpha Sierra
12-29-09, 20:39
Believe it or not, I have carried a 3" N frame .44 full of XTP 240. It takes a pretty long shirt tail, but it does work :cool:.

I believe. :D

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC00485.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC00369.jpg

ack495
12-29-09, 23:24
When I'm off duty, the only gun I carry is a SW 642 loaded up with 135+p Speer GDSB. I always have at least one speed strip along with it. I love this gun. I can carry it in sweatpants or suit pants. I'm confident that it will get the job done if I put them in the right spot.

jeremy45
12-29-09, 23:31
Hey, thanks for all the input guys. There are some beautiful guns in this thread. I currently carry and shoot a G19, but I was shooting my little model 60 at the range last week and it was making me want a bigger wheel gun. After looking at the "one year with the g26" thread it got me to thinking about trying a revolver for the coming year. Possibly an SP101 or a GP100, but just an idea. Keep the info and pics coming if you have them.

Jeremy45

jeremy45
12-29-09, 23:34
The rounds carried in a wheel gun vs. a double stack or even single puts me off. My opinion only counts for me. I do look at what certain respected entities carry and I know of none that carry revolvers anymore. Tactical reloads? Of course, I could be wrong as I have been many times. But, if one likes it, go for it.

Just out of curiosity, do you think the fact that those entities are much more likely than the civillian CHL holder to get into a gun fight has any impact on their choice of weapons?

Jeremy45

Mr. Smith
12-30-09, 08:40
Details, please?

The gun in the pics is a PC 625 thy made the original run at the request of Jerry Michulack. It is 4 inch 625 with a short cylinder that makes the gun shorter overall and has different rifling per Jerry.

nking
12-30-09, 08:44
I fairly regularly carry a 3" blued Python when I'm not carrying one of my 1911's.

Mr. Smith
12-30-09, 09:11
Details, please?

We did this package on the gun I will try to find the pic before we started on the gun.
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/smith%20add/SWPackAdcolor.jpg

zxd9
12-30-09, 09:18
I daily carry a SW642 in a Desanti Nemasis pocket holster.

12-30-09, 12:37
J45- I can only speak for me, but I look at it as: If I am going to get into a situation where I have to use a firearm, I want as many rounds as possible available for immediate usage. Chances are slim I will ever need to use a weapon, but if I do I want all the possible advantages I can have. Don't bring a revolver to a fight with an HK, Glock, etc. If all involved were to have the same skill set, who has the advantage? While the guy with the revolver is reloading, the guy with the 8-16 rounds will be able to fire and move, keep firing, etc. Tactical reloading is also faster.

All this is only my .02 and not meant to piss anyone off. It is simply how I view the need to protect family and self. Nothing more.

jeremy45
12-30-09, 15:46
6933, I can definately see where you are coming from.

Mr. Smith,
That 625 is awesome. I wish one could get them w\o the lock currently.:(

Jeremy45

LockenLoad
12-30-09, 21:46
J45- I can only speak for me, but I look at it as: If I am going to get into a situation where I have to use a firearm, I want as many rounds as possible available for immediate usage. Chances are slim I will ever need to use a weapon, but if I do I want all the possible advantages I can have. Don't bring a revolver to a fight with an HK, Glock, etc. If all involved were to have the same skill set, who has the advantage? While the guy with the revolver is reloading, the guy with the 8-16 rounds will be able to fire and move, keep firing, etc. Tactical reloading is also faster.

All this is only my .02 and not meant to piss anyone off. It is simply how I view the need to protect family and self. Nothing more.

so let me guess you don't carry a revolver, the op just asked if anyone carried a wheel gun as a primary, not for a debate on the merits of revolvers and auto's, please don't derail the thread, 340, and a 327 daily

HK51Fan
12-30-09, 22:20
I picked up a 4inch brl Colt King Cobra last month almost NIB w all the paperwork from a guy at work that really needed some money. I feel bad for how much I got it for, but wasn't really interested in buying. Now that I've taken it to the range a couple of times it's sitting next to my SIG in my nightstand..... I love the way it shoots and makes a mess of whatever I hit........I like wheelguns... I purchased a little Taurus .38 since then and am looking for a nice carry rig for it.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5769/coltpistol.jpg

12-30-09, 22:57
LNL- The OP's ? is framed in such a way as to debate the merits of carrying a revolver. I made it quite clear in my posts that my opinion counted only for me. Don't get butt hurt if you can't justify carrying one when faced with someone carrying a dbl. stack. I was courteous in my reply, gave my reasoning, and stated it was just my .02. If you can't handle the debate, then stay out of it. I'll take a G17 or USP over your revolver any day. If one is going into a gunfight, do you really think they'll take a revolver if they have a choice? Yeah, I like to only have 6 shots vs. more than twice that and slower reloads. Run that revolver in a class and see how well it does against HK's, Glocks, etc.

LockenLoad
12-30-09, 23:27
LNL- The OP's ? is framed in such a way as to debate the merits of carrying a revolver. I made it quite clear in my posts that my opinion counted only for me. Don't get butt hurt if you can't justify carrying one when faced with someone carrying a dbl. stack. I was courteous in my reply, gave my reasoning, and stated it was just my .02. If you can't handle the debate, then stay out of it. I'll take a G17 or USP over your revolver any day. If one is going into a gunfight, do you really think they'll take a revolver if they have a choice? Yeah, I like to only have 6 shots vs. more than twice that and slower reloads. Run that revolver in a class and see how well it does against HK's, Glocks, etc.

my butt's not hurt and have an HK45 compact as a back up, but being only 8 in the clip still probably would not suit you, your right I reread his post and he did want debate god knows for what because it gets beat into the ground, the j-frame is always what I go for first Desantis superfly in pocket holster phaymr decelerator grips 135 gdjhp short barrel rounds for me it just comes out like greased lightning no lifting shirt to get to my IWB holster, someone gets the drop on me and says give me your keys our cash, you can reach into your pocket and out comes snubby. I hate to say it most scenarios civilians get into are not about round count, here's to hoping it's about situational awareness and accurate shooting those 19 rounds don't do you much good with too 357 mags to the chest. My apologies I stand corrected.

Mr. Smith
12-31-09, 09:13

I do and have run a smith and Wesson 627 revolver in class. I like that the revolver it keeps my hand gun reloads on the same side as my hand gun. If you put the time in to get mastery of the revolver reload with moon clips you can reload a 627 which holds 8 rounds just as fast as you can a 1911 which holds 8 rounds it just is a different skill set. When I do run weal gun in class I most often times shoot at the top of the pac that is not to say that I am the best I know I am not. It is still a gun that is in the world so it is nice to know that platform is still in the debate. What class did you run your gun in I would like to know if it was a similar stile or different.

C4IGrant
12-31-09, 09:24

Couple things for you to chew on. Are you are aware that cops have used revolvers to kill bad guys for quite some time?

CCW encounters with bad guys are typically 1-2 rounds fired. So 5-8 rounds in a revolver are not going to cause any issues.

Revolver shooters can reload pretty quick (especially with moon clips). Also remember that when you are reloading you are behind cover. So while the guy with the G-Lock is spraying rounds everywhere, the revolver shooter is reloading and waiting for their chance.

From my experience, revolver shooters have much better trigger manipulation (as they have had to work at mastering the revolver trigger). This generally makes them a better shot.

Having shot in Vickers and Hackathorn classes with Joe (Mr. Smith), I can attest to the fact that he was never "under gunned" or unable to get hits. ;)

C4

jeremy45
12-31-09, 09:48
my butt's not hurt and have an HK45 compact as a back up, but being only 8 in the clip still probably would not suit you, your right I reread his post and he did want debate god knows for what because it gets beat into the ground, the j-frame is always what I go for first Desantis superfly in pocket holster phaymr decelerator grips 135 gdjhp short barrel rounds for me it just comes out like greased lightning no lifting shirt to get to my IWB holster, someone gets the drop on me and says give me your keys our cash, you can reach into your pocket and out comes snubby. I hate to say it most scenarios civilians get into are not about round count, here's to hoping it's about situational awareness and accurate shooting those 19 rounds don't do you much good with too 357 mags to the chest. My apologies I stand corrected.

The reason for the debate is knowledge. I know there are lots of guys who carry revolvers, I wanted to know how many carry j-frames and how many carry something bigger. I want to know why they carry a revolver and what they think they gain\lose by doing so.
I am getting a new position at work and will be entering alot more places that are not friendly to carry so I am thinking about a gun with smoother curves as my G19 tends to print alot when i bend over.
I did not post a Glock vs J-frame or auto vs revolver question because that turns into arguments between offended posters. I simply want an informative thread about carrying a revolver and why one does or does not do so. And so far this thread has been exactly that.:)

LockenLoad
12-31-09, 10:09
Couple things for you to chew on. Are you are aware that cops have used revolvers to kill bad guys for quite some time?

CCW encounters with bad guys are typically 1-2 rounds fired. So 5-8 rounds in a revolver are not going to cause any issues.

Revolver shooters can reload pretty quick (especially with moon clips). Also remember that when you are reloading you are behind cover. So while the guy with the G-Lock is spraying rounds everywhere, the revolver shooter is reloading and waiting for their chance.

From my experience, revolver shooters have much better trigger manipulation (as they have had to work at mastering the revolver trigger). This generally makes them a better shot.

Having shot in Vickers and Hackathorn classes with Joe (Mr. Smith), I can attest to the fact that he was never "under gunned" or unable to get hits. ;)

C4

that's my point exactly most guys that carry a revolver, That I have personally seen shoot don't need 18 + 1 to hit something and moon clips are the shizit for fast reloads, too many people think round count is more important than it really is, having 18 + 1 is not a Linus blanket our Superman cape that assures you will win in a firefight vs a revolver, a gun is a tool it is only as good as the user, 18+1 would be good I guess if you lived in Compton and wanted to do drive buys u know spray and pray kind of shit. I wish I could find the link where an off duty cop toke out 3 robbers 1 shot each, it was typical accurate shooting vs spray and pray.

LockenLoad
12-31-09, 10:25
The reason for the debate is knowledge. I know there are lots of guys who carry revolvers, I wanted to know how many carry j-frames and how many carry something bigger. I want to know why they carry a revolver and what they think they gain\lose by doing so.
I am getting a new position at work and will be entering alot more places that are not friendly to carry so I am thinking about a gun with smoother curves as my G19 tends to print alot when i bend over.
I did not post a Glock vs J-frame or auto vs revolver question because that turns into arguments between offended posters. I simply want an informative thread about carrying a revolver and why one does or does not do so. And so far this thread has been exactly that.:)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16311&highlight=revolvers+primary+carry

here is another thread, it's just a topic that has been debated quite a bit, good luck on whatever you chose, when you say a place is not friendly to carry what does that mean exactly they have a policy of no weapons?

Outlander Systems
12-31-09, 10:33

C4

This. The "revolver-only" guys can shoot.

Ed L.
12-31-09, 11:30
The advantage of pocket carry is that you can look like you are figiting around, while you actually have your hand in your pocket on the gun ready to draw. Or you could make it look like you are reaching into your pocket to give someone your wallet and come out with the gun firing while they are expecting your to give them your wallet.

I like a snubnose revolver for pocket carry. Because of its shape it fits pockets better for carry in a pocket holster and doesn't have the sharp angles of a Glock 26 that can easily caught if you are trying to draw it from your pocket. If it were not for pocket carry, I think the Glock 26 would win hands down in a comparison for holding more rounds and being able to shoot more accurately.

jeremy45
12-31-09, 11:56
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16311&highlight=revolvers+primary+carry

here is another thread, it's just a topic that has been debated quite a bit, good luck on whatever you chose, when you say a place is not friendly to carry what does that mean exactly they have a policy of no weapons?

Yes, some of the businesses have no weapons policies.

30in1
12-31-09, 12:30

C4

[QUOTE=C4IGrant;529176]Couple things for you to chew on. Are you are aware that cops have used revolvers to kill bad guys for quite some time?

Have you actually seen someone killed by an LEO with a wheel gun or heard first hand accounts? I have read books where people were killed with cross-bows and swords. Does that count?

1. Have you ever seen someone shot 6 times in the torso and get up to continue a deadly force attack?
2.Only to be put down by 3 more shots from the same shooter? I have.

WOW!!! So let me get this right.....

1.When u need to reload, cover will magically appear!
2.If u use a Glock.....you will just spray rounds like a machine gun! They should just call it a Vulcan-cannon GLOCK!!
3.I don't know about you, but I am not waiting on anybody in a deadly force ecounter, I am going to take the initiative.

1.Since I own a Glock, my trigger manupulation must suck!!
2.Just having a heavy trigger with long reset will make me a better shot!
3.Having a single-shot gun means I will make that 1 bullet count....it will make me a sniper!
This could go on and on...

1.Shooting in a class (even the kick-ass classes mentioned) with a certain weapon, technique, or ammunition; does not translate into it automatically being a viable option on the street.
2.The question was about what works and is carried on the street, not about what was used in a class where targets don't try to kill you and nobody dies!

Besides, I don't know Joe (even-though he's probaly a certified bad-ass on the range).

Assumptions......inferences.....and suppostions.......this is not AR15.com!

Macx
12-31-09, 12:33
I alternate between two primary carry guns, just depends on what I am wearing and where I am going . . . perhaps a bit how I am feeling that day:
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs107.snc3/15442_1317618343314_1316409274_30881274_2756035_n.jpg
The wheel gun is 6 rounds of .45LC+P (yeah, I know technically no such thing outside a Corbon catalog) but it isn't the overkill full .454 rounds would be in the middle of a city. As C4IGrant points out
I know rounds in loops aren't the fastest for reloading, I also know that the probablitiy of me needing to reload is pretty slim . . . doesn't mean I don't still want to have 12 more rounds on me though. So I carry 6+6+6 in the wheelgun, 18 in total.

The Semiauto I carry when I need deeper concealment or the mood strikes carries 8+1 of .40, I carry a spare mag. So I carry 9+8 in the semi auto, 17 in total.

I feel the two platforms are interchangable in my context (urban, high crime neighborhood), sure I could carry an uber pistol with a BUNCH more rounds on tap, but in the middle of the city I can't spray and pray, I am liable for every bullet that comes out of one of my guns. Everyone's carry situation is different, in my context I don't believe I'd be better served by a higher capacity gun & certainly not if that increased capacity came at the expense of teminal balistics/knockdownpower/whatever the term de jour for ability to make a threat stop right now!

I am not a revolver only guy, nor a semi only guy . . . it is more like a brown belt and shoes Vs. black belt and shoes kind of choice for me, the difference has more to do with asthetics than any imagined advantage of one set over the other.

Outlander Systems
12-31-09, 12:37
Nevermind.

colt191145lover
12-31-09, 12:45
".45LC+P (yeah, I know technically no such thing outside a Corbon cataloog"....

Dont forget Buffalo Bore They make some but kicking .45 LC rounds.:D
http://www.buffalobore.com/

When I carry a revolver (In the woods)its a Ruger old model Vaquaro loaded with BB 325gn cast load.

Macx
12-31-09, 12:51
Have you actually seen someone killed by an LEO with a wheel gun or heard first hand accounts? Prior to the 1980's almost all police on badguy shootings were conducted with wheel guns. History did not start with the first Lethal Weapon movie.

1. Have you ever seen someone shot 6 times in the torso and get up to continue a deadly force attack?
2.Only to be put down by 3 more shots from the same shooter? I have. It almost invariably involves a story where a 9mm or smaller is being used.

I'll let others respond or not to the rest . .. . but
2.The question was about what works and is carried on the street, not about what was used in a class where targets don't try to kill you and nobody dies!
Well, we can compare neighborhood crime stats if you want, say how much violent crime is within 10 blocks of where you live . . . when you talk about what is carried on the street, some streets are safer than others. I know that what I have carried has been sufficient to meet the threats I have met. It may not be empirical, but anecdotal first hand knowledge trumps what the SWAT ninjas of dept X finds works for them. I am not a SWAT ninja, I am just a guy living in a crappy neighborhood . . . I reckon our firearms needs may be a little different. I believe it is useful to compare notes on what works and is carried on the street, but that comparison is only really a comparison if several different notebooks are represented.

Outlander Systems
12-31-09, 12:54
I'll let others respond or not to the rest .

I started to say something, and realised it wasn't worth my time. I believe the thread's been derailed, bro.

30in1
12-31-09, 12:59
Nevermind.

I don't care who says what to whom.......

I'm just calling Bullshit on Bullshit.

Are you going to address the satements made by Gant based upon their merits, or defend him because he is your buddy.

Gant's statements were a resposne to 6933's statements and I thought that he should give a factual rebuttal, not a bunch of assumptions and inferences (even if he is M4Carbine royalty).

I know these things to be true from real-life experience:

1. Having someone actively try to kill you, makes your accuracy suffer
2. I have yet to see any trained shooter carry an 6 or 8 round magazine in their AR because it is probaly enough.

If I am in error, please point it out to me with fact-based real-life experience and I will be open to instruction and learning. I have enjoyed the posts on this site and have used them to make many purchasing and training decisions, let's continue that tradition with good info.

Whatever your inference is to "butt-hurt" , I am not going to dignify it with a response.

30in1
12-31-09, 13:01
Prior to the 1980's almost all police on badguy shootings were conducted with wheel guns. History did not start with the first Lethal Weapon movie.

It almost invariably involves a story where a 9mm or smaller is being used.

I'll let others respond or not to the rest . .. . but Well, we can compare neighborhood crime stats if you want, say how much violent crime is within 10 blocks of where you live . . . when you talk about what is carried on the street, some streets are safer than others. I know that what I have carried has been sufficient to meet the threats I have met. It may not be empirical, but anecdotal first hand knowledge trumps what the SWAT ninjas of dept X finds works for them. I am not a SWAT ninja, I am just a guy living in a crappy neighborhood . . . I reckon our firearms needs may be a little different. I believe it is useful to compare notes on what works and is carried on the street, but that comparison is only really a comparison if several different notebooks are represented.

It was a .40 165gr GDHP....just for the record.

Irish
12-31-09, 13:10
Mr. Smith - That 625 is awesome! I really like the looks of that.

Quick question without starting another thread. I've taken my mother in law shooting a few times and she's not comfortable with semi-autos, she's only 5' and maybe 100 lbs. She has an extremely difficult time racking the slide and doesn't like the moving parts. However, she did enjoy shooting a little .38 a buddy of mine had with him.

She's expressed an interest in getting a revolver for house protection only. Bear in mind she'll only probably go shooting 1/2 dozen times a year and will never carry this outside of the house. Are there any recommendations as to what to look at for her? Would a 625 like what you have be over kill? More than likely my wife and I will inherit the weapon down the road so buying quality not only for MIL but also for the long road is important to us. Suggestions and recommendations are welcome, thanks!

John_Wayne777
12-31-09, 13:42
If she's comfortable with something like an L frame one of the 686 revolvers with 8 shots in the cylinder seems like a good idea. It can be loaded with good defensive ammo and yet can be fired comfortably with pussycat loads on the range. You can de-lock it for her. You can find grips that fit her just right. Seems like a winner to me.

Outlander Systems
12-31-09, 13:45
Butt-Hurt: (adjective) A display of bruised feelings; usually over something trite or petty. See - "Bent-out-of-Shape"

Ex: John was acting all butt-hurt, when Joe told him his car was lame.

Most everything you just said is as wrong as "two boys f*cking."

More times than not, it's the shooter, not the weapon. People need to get in the habit of carrying what they most effectively perform with. If that is a revolver, so be it. If you don't like the performance of a revolver, don't carry one. Times change, people change, requirements change, etc.

Are you going to address the satements made by Gant based upon their merits, or defend him because he is your buddy.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4638/shootingstats.jpg

Irish
12-31-09, 13:52
If she's comfortable with something like an L frame one of the 686 revolvers with 8 shots in the cylinder seems like a good idea. It can be loaded with good defensive ammo and yet can be fired comfortably with pussycat loads on the range. You can de-lock it for her. You can find grips that fit her just right. Seems like a winner to me.

JW - Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe I'm not looking at the right model but this 686 shows a 6 shot cylinder. I think the .38 would be a really viable round for practicing and maybe bump it up to +P for at home protection. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=53929&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

C4IGrant
12-31-09, 14:15

Have you actually seen someone killed by an LEO with a wheel gun or heard first hand accounts? I have read books where people were killed with cross-bows and swords. Does that count?

No as I was not born yet. Luckily for me though my Grandfather and uncles were all State Troopers. I am also friends with people like Ken Hackathorn and get to share in their knowledge. ;)

Sure anything can happen. Know of a guy that was shot with a 12ga slug at 10yds and ran several blocks.

This is why stomach shots are a poor idea and why accuracy matters.

No, but you can move to cover. This is why they invented moving and shooting. When you are shooting, you should be moving. When you are not shooting, you should moving as well.

2.If u use a Glock.....you will just spray rounds like a machine gun! They should just call it a Vulcan-cannon GLOCK!!

Ever watch a gangbanger shoot? Nuff said.

3.I don't know about you, but I am not waiting on anybody in a deadly force ecounter, I am going to take the initiative.

Who said anything about waiting? If you are behind cover and someone is shooting at you, you don't want to pop out (FYI).

From your irrational and poorly laid out thoughts, it most likely does. This is just an assumption my part though. How many hours of training have you logged with a quality firearms instructor?

You must not own a Revolver. It isn't that a revolver trigger is any heavier than another combat gun, its the length of pull (aka trigger manipulation). A long stroke trigger is more difficult to master than a M&P, Glock, or 1911 trigger.

3.Having a single-shot gun means I will make that 1 bullet count....it will make me a sniper!

If you have one round, you will for sure pick you spot. ;) Looking at current LE shoot outs and talking to old school cops (that were issued revolvers), there was definitely a difference in how many rounds they fired. Often back then, the road deputy had no back up either. So was on his own and every round counted for sure.

1.Shooting in a class (even the kick-ass classes mentioned) with a certain weapon, technique, or ammunition; does not translate into it automatically being a viable option on the street.

You are actually correct. You would be amazed though at how many people can't actually handle the stress of a shot timer or shooting in a high level shooting school.

Sure and revolvers have been used for a VERY long time and have killed thousands of bad guys.

You are correct. This isn't BARFCOM so try to control yourself, and put some thought into what you are saying.

C4

mark5pt56
12-31-09, 14:26
Just some tidbits, a few years ago a study was done in regards to number of shots fired in gun fights-revolvers and semi. It did get deeper in regards to mindset of the shooter. Psychological effects of knowing how many rounds you had and skill applied in placing them, etc. Part of it was also performance was directly related training and confidence in abilities. People tend to over react when less trained, whether it be force applied or even excessive number of rounds fired(poor hit ratio-mindset "I have18 on board", etc.)

Revolver-3-4
semi-5-8

Mark

C4IGrant
12-31-09, 14:27
I don't care who says what to whom.......

I'm just calling Bullshit on Bullshit.

Gant's statements were a resposne to 6933's statements and I thought that he should give a factual rebuttal, not a bunch of assumptions and inferences (even if he is M4Carbine royalty).

I know these things to be true from real-life experience:

1. Having someone actively try to kill you, makes your accuracy suffer
2. I have yet to see any trained shooter carry an 6 or 8 round magazine in their AR because it is probaly enough.

If I am in error, please point it out to me with fact-based real-life experience and I will be open to instruction and learning. I have enjoyed the posts on this site and have used them to make many purchasing and training decisions, let's continue that tradition with good info.

Whatever your inference is to "butt-hurt" , I am not going to dignify it with a response.

You are correct. Someone trying to kill you is of course going to degrade your accuracy. Being a poor shot in the first place isn't going to help you out any either.

The AR (for instance) is designed to bring increased firepower to a fight where many rounds will likely be fired. When you are on patrol, do you get the AR out of the rack or trunk everytime you do a traffic stop? No, you don't.

Many cops carry 1911's. There are either 7 or 8 rounds in them. Most full size revolvers have the same capacity. Is someone with a 1911 outgunned by someone with a G-Lock? No, they are not.

I think you might be wise to take some training classes where there will be some experienced revolver shooters. Not only will they be shooting a more accurate weapon (and might be a better shot as well), but they might also shock you with speed in which they can reload their gun.

So yes, there many errors in your posts/comments and you are also letting emotion control your responses. If you don't like what I have said that is fine. No need to get excited about it and show your ass.

C4

C4IGrant
12-31-09, 14:30
It was a .40 165gr GDHP....just for the record.

Ahh the 40. Say no more. One of the finest combat rounds ever devised.

C4

mark5pt56
12-31-09, 14:32
Riddle me this--were did the 10 round limit with the awb originate?

hint--Revolver to G19?

mark5pt56
12-31-09, 14:37
I
think you might be wise to take some training classes where there will be some experienced revolver shooters. Not only will they be shooting a more accurate weapon (and might be a better shot as well), but they might also shock you with speed in which they can reload their gun.

Years ago, when I was getting started in shooting, had my ass handed to me by an old then NIS agent and a wheelgun. He did laugh pretty hard-after we shot and it was me that snickered at him in the beginning. "what's this old #$%67 going to do with that thing"

skyugo
12-31-09, 14:39
Butt-Hurt: (adjective) A display of bruised feelings; usually over something trite or petty. See - "Bent-out-of-Shape"

Ex: John was acting all butt-hurt, when Joe told him his car was lame.

More times than not, it's the shooter, not the weapon. People need to get in the habit of carrying what they most effectively perform with. If that is a revolver, so be it. If you don't like the performance of a revolver, don't carry one. Times change, people change, requirements change, etc.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4638/shootingstats.jpg

fair enough.. though "on average" you won't even need a gun. people don't carry guns for the average situation..

that said i'd be comfortable with a revolver as a carry gun for the most part, i just have a lot more practice with semis.

C4IGrant
12-31-09, 14:43
I

Years ago, when I was getting started in shooting, had my ass handed to me by an old then NIS agent and a wheelgun. He did laugh pretty hard-after we shot and it was me that snickered at him in the beginning. "what's this old #$%67 going to do with that thing"

Right.

Having shot with Joe (Mr. Smith) on several occasions I am fairly certain that he would Embarrass many a shooter with their hi-capacity auto's.

C4

LockenLoad
12-31-09, 14:43
[QUOTE=C4IGrant;529176]Couple things for you to chew on. Are you are aware that cops have used revolvers to kill bad guys for quite some time?

Besides, I don't know Joe (even-though he's probaly a certified bad-ass on the range).

than don't assume all revolvers have heavy triggers

Outlander Systems
12-31-09, 14:49
You can't quickly reload a revolver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpCellB_UQ&feature=related

Outlander Systems
12-31-09, 14:55
There will always be a soft spot in my heart for cowboy action shooting, and revolvers. Some of the capabilities out there are incredible.

LockenLoad
12-31-09, 14:59
JW - Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe I'm not looking at the right model but this 686 shows a 6 shot cylinder. I think the .38 would be a really viable round for practicing and maybe bump it up to +P for at home protection. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=53929&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&categoryId=15714&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15701&top_category=15701

L586 is nice 7 shot, 327's are 8 shot, and 627's they are all .357 magnum but you can plink with light .38's and just defence load .38 +p

LockenLoad
12-31-09, 15:06
You can't quickly reload a revolver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DpCellB_UQ&feature=related

geez what slug, I would smoke him with my Glock:p, awesome reload time

12-31-09, 15:06
Can a revolver guy out shoot a semi guy? Of course. As far as average # rounds per engagement, it doesn't figure into my thinking at all. For me, and only me(as I have stated before) I would much rather have too many rounds than not enough.

Do you see many wheelguns carried on duty, be it military or LE? I don't believe so. If the wheelgun was still king of the hill it would be. My reasoning applies only to me. When I combine this with my above feeling, I choose a semi.

If someone can reasonably and logically explain to me why a revolver should be carried over a semi--not talking a "special" situation--then I will be glad to consider the evidence. When I recently attended a TS pistol class, I noticed the instructors carried Glocks; not revolvers. Am I ever going to be in the situations they have? I doubt it. But, my way of thinking is why not be prepared like one that has been there and done that? Following their lead should help me to be more able to deal with whatever may come up because they know what works and what works best. Only my .02.

Happy New Year. Go Vols over VT tonight!

Outlander Systems
12-31-09, 15:25
6933:

As someone who exclusively owned revolvers in the past, I finally drank the semi-auto Kool Aide.

A buddy of mine got stabbed 17 times, while I was staying out of town in South Georgia. There were six assailants inside his apartment. That was my revolver wake-up call.

I don't own, or shoot revolvers anymore.

That being said, if I was more effective, and could shoot like some of the cowboys, I might sing a different tune. I don't shoot like the cowpoke.

For me, the revolver isn't my ideal choice for a carry/duty/combat/SD/HD weapon. I currently own several handguns. I carry the one that I am the most effective with. If someone is more effective with a revolver, there's no reason NOT to carry it.

I personally can't stand carrying "compact" handguns, because shooting with them, from my experience, sucks. Rather than try and adapt to shooting compact handguns, I'd rather work one of my more familiar friends into an EDC role.

Other people may have a different perspective. That being said, I'm not going to cry foul on someone who carries a Ruger LCP. Would I? No, but what works for me may not work for you, and that remains the ultimate deciding factor; what works for the end-user.

12-31-09, 15:59
NC- I agree. I look at as you have. Why not simply become proficient with a semi? The multiple attacker scenario is an excellent reason to carry one. What are the chances one could disable 6 attackers in 6 shots? I've picked up a gun on three occasions where I thought I truly may have to use it. Nerves, nerves, nerves. They must be dealt with. All someone has to do is be put on a timer in front of others to see this. When the adrenaline kicks in, I want more rounds available so I can contend with the effects of the moment.

Wish I was in ATL for the game tonight. Go Vols!

John_Wayne777
12-31-09, 16:06
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&categoryId=15714&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15701&top_category=15701

L586 is nice 7 shot, 327's are 8 shot, and 627's they are all .357 magnum but you can plink with light .38's and just defence load .38 +p

Those were the ones I was thinking about...although I could have sworn S&W at some point made an 8 shot L frame revolver. The general gist of what I was going for was a robust revolver that holds as many bullets as possible so long as she doesn't have strength issues that keep her from being able to actually lift such a weapon and accurately fire it.

The L and N frame Smiths in .357 magnum give you all of that in a package that's still easy (and relatively cheap....38 target ammo isn't outrageous if you shop around) to shoot.

As to the whole revolver v. semi-auto thing:

I carry a revolver every day...a S&W 442. On some occasions it is my primary, but whenever possible it rides as a backup. I don't like the 442 as a primary because the things that make it great as a backup piece (small, hard to shoot yourself with, etc) make it tough to use as a primary. The limited capacity of the weapon is also a major concern. 5 shots may enough to win most fights, but is it going to be enough to win my fight? Since I don't have a crystal ball I don't know that...but I also don't have the ability to go about every day of my life packing a double-stack auto and three spare mags.

Every time we make a decision on what to carry with us in our daily life we are making compromises. Some days my choice is have the 442 or have nothing because I'm going to be carrying into a non-permissive environment. Obviously having the 442 is better than having just my fingernails. When I have the choice of carrying something more capable, I do so because if God forbid I actually do need to use a gun I'd much rather have my M&P in my hand than my 442. I've never heard anyone survive a gunfight lamenting that they took too much gun or too much ammo into it. I can assure you that if I'm at the stop 'n' rob and some idiot comes in shooting and I manage to drop him with a single shot from my M&P, I won't be lamenting the fact that there are 17 more bullets in the weapon that proved unnecessary. I'll be on my knees thanking sweet Jesus that it was over that fast and that I had a lot more capability than I needed.

During the Hackathorn Advanced Handgun class Ken actually took some time on the morning of day 2 to discuss weapon capacity. He discussed one gentlemen who was set upon by (if I remember correctly) two dudes and all he had was a J frame. He managed to get the problem dealt with, but he was KEENLY AWARE of how little room for error he had in the situation.

I prefer more margin if I can get it reasonably.

I'll mention that it's possible to run a revolver more efficiently than most expect if you dedicate the time and effort to learning to do so...but speaking personally I'd much rather invest that time and effort into autos. I, after all, am not Jerry Michulek. I'm not going to be doing reloads like he does them even with YEARS of practice. I can, however, take just about anybody and teach them to reload a semi-auto in a reasonable amount of time with relatively little fuss. At USTC in July I ran a drill which involved draw, fire one round hitting a head plate, reload from slide lock, and fire another round at another plate farther away.

I did that in under 4 seconds. That's not a scorching time by any means, but I couldn't have performed that efficiently with a revolver. Given the limitations of handguns and the fact that scumbags seem to be drawn to packing guns with more bullets in them, I'd rather have one on my hip that I'm as efficient with as possible.

C4IGrant
12-31-09, 16:32
Can a revolver guy out shoot a semi guy? Of course. As far as average # rounds per engagement, it doesn't figure into my thinking at all. For me, and only me(as I have stated before) I would much rather have too many rounds than not enough.

Do you see many wheelguns carried on duty, be it military or LE? I don't believe so. If the wheelgun was still king of the hill it would be. My reasoning applies only to me. When I combine this with my above feeling, I choose a semi.

If someone can reasonably and logically explain to me why a revolver should be carried over a semi--not talking a "special" situation--then I will be glad to consider the evidence. When I recently attended a TS pistol class, I noticed the instructors carried Glocks; not revolvers. Am I ever going to be in the situations they have? I doubt it. But, my way of thinking is why not be prepared like one that has been there and done that? Following their lead should help me to be more able to deal with whatever may come up because they know what works and what works best. Only my .02.

Happy New Year. Go Vols over VT tonight!

Auto's have been adopted for many reasons. Some of them real and some perceived.

I own and carry a snubby. I also carry an HK P7M8, M&P, SIG P6, 1911 and a S&W 3953. There is a place for auto's and revolvers and just because you have a couple less rounds doesn't mean that you are going to lose a gun fight.

If you don't think revolvers are a good choice for you, that is just fine. Just don't try and tell anyone that they are not suitable choice for a gun fight.

C4

8200rpm
12-31-09, 16:35

Jeremy45

It's not a viable option FOR ME, because I cannot shoot the revolver as well as an auto. Almost anything can be resolved with enough training, but I decided that the investment in time and resources could be better spent on developing my proficiency with the auto.

I was tempted by the notion of becoming proficient with the revolver twice, and came to the same conclusion twice... Both are no longer in my possession.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27147

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4126/686p3inlf3.jpg

LockenLoad
12-31-09, 16:44
MY 8-SHOT Revolver and HK45

LockenLoad
12-31-09, 16:47
the revolver?

12-31-09, 17:16
Grant- Not saying they aren't suitable. Simply trying to express my thoughts as to why a semi is more suitable. If given the choice before the gunfight ensued, would you choose a revolver or a semi? My opinion is that more rounds means more able to deal with more situations.

Alpha Sierra
12-31-09, 17:30

Your thinking is on the right track.

I can holster up a S&W Model 65 with the round butt and a S&W M&P9, both in the same location on my body (obviously one at a time...), both in IWB holsters, and the M&P WILL print more. Particularly when you assume certain positions, the semi auto will telegraph loudly and the revolver will remain nearly invisible due to its smooth, rounded contours. Especially so in the grip area.

Mr. Smith
12-31-09, 18:03
Right.

Having shot with Joe (Mr. Smith) on several occasions I am fairly certain that he would Embarrass many a shooter with their hi-capacity auto's.

C4

Thank you that is nice.

Can't we all just get along.

sabretom
12-31-09, 18:29
Ruger LCR inside the waistband with Gold Dots. I'm just a civilian. At 13 ounces and concealable in everything short of a thong, works for me. Hope I never have to report how it worked out.

jeremy45
12-31-09, 18:38
Your thinking is on the right track.

I can holster up a S&W Model 65 with the round butt and a S&W M&P9, both in the same location on my body (obviously one at a time...), both in IWB holsters, and the M&P WILL print more. Particularly when you assume certain positions, the semi auto will telegraph loudly and the revolver will remain nearly invisible due to its smooth, rounded contours. Especially so in the grip area.

Thank you for this information. Do you have wood or rubber for grips? Seems wood would(that's funny to type:D) tend to let a shirt pass over it much better but it may not really matter.

I can definately understand why most people tend to lean toward the auto but some have given great insight into using the revolver for defense and the dedication it take to master one, or any handgun for that matter.

Jeremy45

jeremy45
12-31-09, 18:39
Ruger LCR inside the waistband with Gold Dots. I'm just a civilian. At 13 ounces and concealable in everything short of a thong, works for me. Hope I never have to report how it worked out.

Every LCR i've dry fired has had an extremely smooth trigger. Does this hold true with your sample?

Jeremy45

30in1
12-31-09, 18:41
NC- I agree. I look at as you have. Why not simply become proficient with a semi? The multiple attacker scenario is an excellent reason to carry one. What are the chances one could disable 6 attackers in 6 shots? I've picked up a gun on three occasions where I thought I truly may have to use it. Nerves, nerves, nerves. They must be dealt with. All someone has to do is be put on a timer in front of others to see this. When the adrenaline kicks in, I want more rounds available so I can contend with the effects of the moment.

Grant- Not saying they aren't suitable. Simply trying to express my thoughts as to why a semi is more suitable. If given the choice before the gunfight ensued, would you choose a revolver or a semi? My opinion is that more rounds means more able to deal with more situations.

My apologies if I opened a shot-can based upon what I perceived to be a erroneous response to your post. I should have let you respond on your own.

Also, I agree with your simple and poignant statement above.

30in1
12-31-09, 18:41

My apologies To you Sir, if I opened a shit-can based upon what I perceived to be a erroneous response to your post. I should have let you respond on your own.

30in1
12-31-09, 18:42

My apologies if I opened a shit-can based upon what I perceived to be a erroneous response to your post. I should have let you respond on your own.

sabretom
12-31-09, 18:47
Yes, I bought the one I carry for the wife's purse, liked it so much, I stole it. She now uses an LCR w/crimson trace.

So far, the hype has been pretty much true. Perceived recoil about the same as her steel Taurus 85 at twice the weight.

Alpha Sierra
01-01-10, 09:07
Do you have wood or rubber for grips? Seems wood would(that's funny to type:D) tend to let a shirt pass over it much better but it may not really matter.
After trying both rubber and wood grips on my revolvers, I have switched all to wood. You are correct in assuming that rubber grips make the shirt cling and stick. That is a problem not only from a printing point of view, but from a drawing from concealment point of view.

While much is made of the fact that new semi auto designs offer grip adaptability to the user's hand, that adaptability is still limited to the options provided by the manufacturer. Revolvers, OTOH, have always had this adjustability and such is available to a much higher degree. Between the many manufacturers of rubber and wood revolver grips you can find something to suit you almost to perfection. And if that is not enough, there are custom gripmakers that will make a set of grips to suit your hand exactly. Some of those custom grips can be had for as little as $95 to $100.

I prefer grips made by Kim Ahrends. They fit my hands extremely well.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC00336.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC00318.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/pic041.jpg

C4IGrant
01-01-10, 09:31

For me personally, I train more with auto's so that would be my first choice.

Other's train more with revolvers so they would be better off with them.

C4

DMR
01-04-10, 21:48
jeremy45 ,

Finaly got around to it. Check out some of the following wheel gun info:

Grant Cunningham:
http://www.grantcunningham.com/library.html

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/the_case_for_dao.html

And Mike DeBethencourt
http://www.snubtraining.com/

various:
http://www.snubnose.info/library.html

Good luck

usmc51
01-04-10, 23:25
O'Rourke (www.gun-holsters.com) IP trimmed in elephant for N-Frame, if not this M22-4, then a 29, 629 Mountain Gun, 58, or a 28:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/51gunner/SS100774.jpg

O'Rourke IP with Colt D-Frame (Cobra pictured, but now an Agent):
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/51gunner/P1000677.jpg

S&W 296 in a kydex holster I made (Have a nice new O'Rourke belt holster for it now):
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/51gunner/DSCN2838.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/51gunner/DSCN2840.jpg

3" Redhawk in O'Rourke Pancake Holster, with O'Rourke Field Holster:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/51gunner/Ruger%20Forum/P1050946.jpg

Dunderway
01-05-10, 22:30
Every LCR i've dry fired has had an extremely smooth trigger. Does this hold true with your sample?

Jeremy45

I just fired one for the first time over the holidays and was very pleased with the whole package. As sabretom said, this little gun lived up to the hype.

jeremy45
01-09-10, 01:10
Been out of reach for a while, thanks for all the input guys.

DMR, thanks for the links, lots of good information there.

Alpha, those grips are gorgeous, thanks for sharing.

I just got a Dan Wesson 357 while I was on vacation, it has a 6in barrel but I'm going to start shooting it at the range and getting familiar with a wheel gun. Then see how I feel about carrying one every day.

Jeremy45

William B.
01-09-10, 01:35
This is an older pic when I carried in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I no longe use that holster, having found a much better IWB option from Lobo Gunleather. I used to carry the speedloader loose in a pocker but now I carry it in a belt pouch made by Simply Rugged. The rounds split the belt making the speedloader a very low profile unit.

Alpha Sierra, did you trim that Cross Breed holster yourself?

Alpha Sierra
01-09-10, 08:38
Sure did.

I don't particularly like side guards.

William B.
01-09-10, 12:47
Sure did.

I don't particularly like side guards.

Thanks. I carry a 1911 in a Super Tuck and it's hard to get a good grip when I draw so I've considered doing the same thing. Did the custom trim job help a lot in that aspect?

Drew78
01-09-10, 13:06
I feel comfortable with a 642 as a primary when situations dictate the inability to carry my prefered primary sidearm, a Glock 26 or 19.

-Drew

DMR
01-09-10, 13:42
Been out of reach for a while, thanks for all the input guys.

DMR, thanks for the links, lots of good information there.

Alpha, those grips are gorgeous, thanks for sharing.

I just got a Dan Wesson 357 while I was on vacation, it has a 6in barrel but I'm going to start shooting it at the range and getting familiar with a wheel gun. Then see how I feel about carrying one every day.

Jeremy45

I will have to fish out my Dan Wesson photos. They are nice pistols, but support is hard to come by. Dan Wesson still provided parts last I checked, even though they don't make the 357's any more. You have to call the plant and ask for Genny if I recall correctly. I shot mine with the 2" barrel at a class at S&W Academy a few years ago. Of not is they are big pistols and you preety much have to want a Dan Wesson to consider it as a carry piece. With the Houge grip on it and the 2" barrel it is about the same size as my 5" 1911.

Alpha Sierra
01-09-10, 20:07
Thanks. I carry a 1911 in a Super Tuck and it's hard to get a good grip when I draw so I've considered doing the same thing. Did the custom trim job help a lot in that aspect?

Very much so. Crossbreed uses very soft leather and before I trimmed it away, my hand would tend to bend the sideguard and fumble my draw.

As I mentioned before, I have moved on from Crossbreed as I prefer pure leather and found other makers that make better holsters.

jeremy45
01-09-10, 21:53
I will have to fish out my Dan Wesson photos. They are nice pistols, but support is hard to come by. Dan Wesson still provided parts last I checked, even though they don't make the 357's any more. You have to call the plant and ask for Genny if I recall correctly. I shot mine with the 2" barrel at a class at S&W Academy a few years ago. Of not is they are big pistols and you preety much have to want a Dan Wesson to consider it as a carry piece. With the Houge grip on it and the 2" barrel it is about the same size as my 5" 1911.

It is big, doubt I'd ever carry one this size but it was a gift from my grandfather so I plan on shooting it quite a bit. May get a shorter barrel and shoot it in IDPA, who knows.

Jeremy45

William B.
01-09-10, 23:17
Very much so. Crossbreed uses very soft leather and before I trimmed it away, my hand would tend to bend the sideguard and fumble my draw.

As I mentioned before, I have moved on from Crossbreed as I prefer pure leather and found other makers that make better holsters.

I appreciate the advice. I've been happy with mine so far.

Alaskapopo
01-11-10, 02:30

Jeremy45

I think its a viable option but far from the best choice. The slower reloads and low ammo capacity are serious handicaps to consider. Also despite what anyone says there is no such thing as the average gun fight. Some are over with the mere presentation of the weapon. Some go more than 30 rounds. No such thing as average.
Pat

montanadave
01-11-10, 10:15
Yes, I bought the one I carry for the wife's purse, liked it so much, I stole it. She now uses an LCR w/crimson trace.

So far, the hype has been pretty much true. Perceived recoil about the same as her steel Taurus 85 at twice the weight.

I did the exact same thing. One suggestion for the LCR--pick up a couple of the new Big Dot tritium front sights from XS Sight Systems. Now I can actually pick up the front sight without having to aim at the nearest white wall. :D