PDA

View Full Version : KNS help

lanceriley
12-29-09, 06:13
KNS Gen 2 non rotating trigger and hammer pin or

Gen 2 Mod 2 Non-Rotating Trig/Ham Pins ??

what's the difference? aside from looks? or is one stronger than the other? the mod 2 looks like it's being held together by a thinner material.

seb5
12-29-09, 07:15
The Mod 2 is just thinner, lower profile. I suppose with less metal it would be weaker, but how that would apply where it's at eludes me. You'll find most here have no use for them. When I started building I thought they looked good so bought a few sets. After switching out triggers and such they became a nuisance. Currently I have one set for "in case" and an old lower that has a set as my hammer pin kept walking out. Many will say it is an assembly issue but this lower is the only one that needed them, so I use them on it.

lanceriley
12-29-09, 07:22
I came upon these 2 coz one of my friends got extras. Im from the Philippines by the way. Most of our receivers are m16 receivers of the 1970s. All of us have full auto.

As of the present I use the original F/A trigger set. I recently bought the Geissele SSF. although I have not installed it and I have not have had experienced pins walking. I was just getting myself prepared... I don't have the tools to measure the holes right now..but a receiver from the 70s would have erroded over time I assume.

seb5
12-29-09, 09:30
I don't really think the holes will get bigger with use, just with disassembly/assembly over time. It's my OPINION that in most cases they are un needed, but if you have a lower that needs them they are about the only fix.

lanceriley
12-29-09, 09:43
Yes after thinking about it... I might not really need the part..

by the way.. how do you check if your pin holes are really loose already?

seb5
12-29-09, 10:41
Good question.......... I don't think it's always a case of just looseness as much as the holes being misaligned or out of spec. If everything is in spec the springs should hold everything, even if the holes are a little large. If I have pins walking I check on the assembly and make sure the legs are where they are supposed to be and everything else is good to go. Sometimes you just have pin movement. If all looks well and you have pin movement try the larger match pins. If that doesn't fix it use the KNS. Of course once you use the larger pins you are creating the need for the KNS with standard pins. FWIW I've never had the trigger pin walk, just the hammer pin.

lanceriley
12-29-09, 10:48
honestly... i've never seen any pin walk! considering everyone is using GI receiver and GI internals that are atleast 30years old. but mind you some of them just never saw conflict.. so maybe.... the pins and the holes are just right. yes the springs do hold the pins in place. and the pins require a light tap to get it in.

i'll try to install the geissele tomorrow and find out.