PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Custom 1911

Dos Cylindros
12-29-09, 17:34
Earlier this year, I decided I wanted to buy a custom 1911 built by Sprinfield Armory's Custom Shop. I had heard so many good things about them, that I decided to give them a shot. I browsed several forums and settled on the custom carry model, intending to have it built from the ground up to my specs. My local dealer freequently orders guns from the custom shop, so I approached him about placing the order for me. To my suprise, he had a freshly built custom carry in stock, which meant no 10 to 12 month wait to have Springfield Custom build the gun. The gun was lacking a few features I specifically wanted, but I decided I would buy it and then send it back to Springfield Custom to have a few personal "touches" added. After a three month wait, I go the gun back today. In addition to the standard Custom Carry package, I had the following things added; 10-8 .140" u-notch rear sight, 10-8 slide stop, 25 lpi checkering on front strap, cut muzzle flush with bushing and crown, and fit a spare Wilson bullet proof extractor to the gun.

Here are the pics.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/IMGP0555-1.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/IMGP0557.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/IMGP0556.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/IMGP0558-1.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/IMGP0559-1.jpg

ThirdWatcher
12-29-09, 17:53
That looks like a fine pistol (in which form follows function). :)

Mark71
12-29-09, 19:36
Very nice! Does the gun shoot as well as it looks?

Boris
12-29-09, 21:28
I personally would opt for either a gold bead front post or night sights front and rear. Enjoy the break in.

-B

kaltblitz
12-29-09, 22:13
Beautiful.

nking
12-29-09, 22:33
It looks good. I find 25 lpi checkering to be the perfect compromise. 20 lpi isn't "grippy" enough and 30 will grate the skin off your hand during a long competition or range visit. The only thing I prefer is a slightly more aggressive undercutting on the trigger guard.

Have fun!

ShipWreck
12-30-09, 11:09
Very sweet. I just placed an order for a Custom Carry right before they closed for the Christmas Holidays. SO, I enjoy seeing your gun.

I'll likely have to wait about a year. It was 11 months for the custom shop springer I got in this past summer. So, good deal with stumbling upon that one.

Dos Cylindros
12-30-09, 11:36
I personally would opt for either a gold bead front post or night sights front and rear. Enjoy the break in.

-B

I like the front sight only to have an insert, be it tritium or gold bead. The gun I have with MARS Armament will have a gold bead front sight. Either way, your eye gets drawn to the front sight where it belongs.

VA_Dinger
12-30-09, 19:39
Wow, that is one awesome custom 1911.

Springfield Armory's custom shop does great work.

SWATcop556
12-31-09, 01:21
For a decent turn around time on custom work the Custom Shop is the way to go. They do excellent work.

Beautiful blaster!

ccoker
12-31-09, 07:50
very nice pistol indeed
I was shooting my Springfield custom last night
I love it!

Dos Cylindros
12-31-09, 11:17
Thanks for the comments. Went to the range last night and put 200 through it with no problems. That makes just under 700 rounds total counting what I fired before sending it back for more work, all trouble free.

Several things amaze me about Springfield Custom. The first is, given the quality of their work, especially on their full house guns such as this one, I can't understand why more people don't know about them. Many people don't understand the difference between the custom shop guns and the production guns (even the TRP) that Springfield sells. The second is this is by far the tightest fit 1911 I have ever owned, and is equally as tight as a brand new Springfield Pro I examined last night. Despite the extremely tight fit, the gun is one of the most reliable 1911's I have ever owned or fired, which includes a Les Bear and Wilson Combat.

ShipWreck
12-31-09, 12:35
I agree - people don't rate my custom, springer for what it is either. They think it's a standard production model.

Dos Cylindros
12-31-09, 13:41
I agree - people don't rate my custom, springer for what it is either. They think it's a standard production model.

Very true. Not to knock the production Springfields, because they are very good production guns backed by a customer service that is one of the best in the business. But production Springfields in no way compare to the total custom hand fit, ground up build of a Springfield Custom Shop pistol. I was at one time guilty of the same misunderstanding, thinking Wilson, Baer, etc. were the cats meow (and they are great guns which I do/have owned), they just don't compare to the work done by Springfield Custom (YMMV).

operator81
01-02-10, 14:50
Looks great. How do you like the sights? I'm on the fence between 10-8, Warren and Heinie.

Dos Cylindros
01-02-10, 15:05
Looks great. How do you like the sights? I'm on the fence between 10-8, Warren and Heinie.

I like the alot. I think you could not go wrong with any of the choices you are deciding on. I just like the .140" rear notch as it really gives you a good view of the front sight.