PDA

View Full Version : Anyone built a LW with BM Superlight or M16A2 Gov. Profile

Dan Goodwin
12-29-09, 20:51
Or know the weight on the 20 v. the 16-in.?

Would like to put together something like GotM4's featherweight but with the extra velocity (and lower blast) of a 20-in. and a light fixed scope.

Have shot PDs to 300 yards + with a heavy 16-in. so can go short if necessary for portability and still have coyote accuracy.

This is to be a minimalist rifle to carry in my POV off duty and with which to hunt.

sandman_sy
12-31-09, 02:11
Interesting.. anyone???

Robb Jensen
12-31-09, 07:32
Or know the weight on the 20 v. the 16-in.?

Would like to put together something like GotM4's featherweight but with the extra velocity (and lower blast) of a 20-in. and a light fixed scope.

Have shot PDs to 300 yards + with a heavy 16-in. so can go short if necessary for portability and still have coyote accuracy.

This is to be a minimalist rifle to carry in my POV off duty and with which to hunt.

A 18-20" would be sweet if using a .625" A1 style barrel profile or maybe even a little lighter like .600" which would be very lightweight. And still very light if you added a Troy TRX rail or a carbon fiber FF tube (12") and then used a low pro gas block or radically shaved down the FSB. If you could find an old 20" A1 barrel on the cheap and cut it down to 18" and profile it to .600" that would be pretty nice. I think the only thing lighter would be a ABS carbon fiber barrel.

Dan Goodwin
12-31-09, 08:21
GotM4,

Unless somebody comes up with a source of new in bag A1 barrels I am leery of used and the prices I've seen are comparable to the BM pricing.

What about the BM 20-in. A2? You have any idea on its profile/diameters? It looks fairly slim behind the FSB on the website. Got a buddy at the SO who is a whiz with his mill.

The 9 twist might allow for bullets up in the 75 range. TAP 75 are very accurate in a department Colt in 1x9. Might surprise something with a 400 yard hit.

Here's the mental blueprint:

Shave the FSB, put a longer Clark carbon fiber forearm with small pieces of aluminum rail attached for a pistol light when needed, and perhaps a Tango Down Stubby VFG at times.

The barrel and forearm go onto a Sun Devil slickside upper receiver with no dust cover and a JP LMOS bolt carrier group. Mount a thread protector on the end of the barrel; can always put a can on if need be.

Haven't researched optics weights, but thinking a a LW fixed 4 or 6X with some sort of BDC or dots. Use the lightest high or very high Weaver rings available. A set of Magpul MBUS can live in a fanny pack with the light and VFG to be installed if needed.

Maybe a Sun Devil or less expensive lower with a drop-in match trigger group and the remainder LPK from Colt. Might use a sawed off A1 pistol grip (like the AF M16 Survival Carbine sported) suitably textured, but with an oversized trigger guard.

Use A1/short ACE/Sully stock. I know an original CAR stock is probably lightest but I need mustache friendly.

Krylon the whole works in drab fashion and use a simple two point nylon sling.

Magpul PMag 20s stuffed with whatever shoots best.

Probably a pipe dream, but would love to be near 6 lbs. empty.

taliv
12-31-09, 16:52
I think the only thing lighter would be a ABS carbon fiber barrel.

which you can't get new anymore

Jdrimm
12-31-09, 18:36
Anybody ever buy a barrel from AR15Barrels.com? http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/fw.shtml is a featherweight profile, says available up to 20".

OK, I just searched around, and found all the old threads about their non-delivery. Guess that answers my question.

BAC
01-15-10, 13:52
which you can't get new anymore

Really? Is ABS out of business? I was just poking around for more info about their barrels, too...

-B