PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Glock 19 ejection path

spr1
12-30-09, 07:16
I have a number of 17's and 19's, all of the 19's will occasionally throw an empty straight back at my face. Is there an easy fix?? This has never happened with multiple generations of 17's. A buddy has several 19's of an older vintage than mine, and they do the same thing. thanks

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-30-09, 07:37
This is exactly my experience--and one of the reasons I seem to be one of the few people who doesn't prefer the 19 over the 17. Neither my 17s nor my 26 throw brass in my face--but every G19 does (and I own several). I have tried every conceivable grip--the G19 just doesn't like me. Further, I have noticed the G19 is more ammo sensitive than the other 9mm Glocks--IN MY EXPERIENCE. I am just reporting my observations, not claiming Gospel/Law of nature truth.

Business_Casual
12-30-09, 07:38
The easiest fix is to hold the gun firmly and not let your wrist break too early in the recoil cycle.

Glock calls it limp wristing, but many doubt that. There is nothing "wrong" with your pistol, according to Glock it is your technique.

M_P

M4arc
12-30-09, 08:12
Does it do it more with a specific brand of ammo? I've found that my G26 does it consistently with Remington UMC but not with other brands. I actually have a minor burn near my right eye and a small cut on my forehead from last week when I shot my G26 & UMC because it kicked the brass straight back into my face.

This did not happen when I switched to WWB.

doughnut
12-30-09, 10:38
I also have noticed that my G19 consistently does this with UMC ammo. I primarily use a variety of either Blazer, Blazer Brass, PMC Bronze, WWB or Wolf and do not experience the problem but it does happen with UMC ammo. My 19s and 34 usually eject to about 4 o'clock and leave a neat pile of brass.

spr1
12-30-09, 11:26
It does it the worst with W-W white box 115 gr target ammo I have not shot any of the UMC as I observed a large shift in POI, compared to full power stuff, when a friend used some. The other thing I have observed is that the last round in a magazine almost dribbles out of the ejection port (even with +P), like the extractor is losing it's grip without a round under the ejected one to hold it up underneath the extractor. This, or the occasional whack in the face, does not happen with the 17's or the 21's or 22's. The 19's ejection pattern seems way more random in general.
I love shooting the 19, but I would be worried about this should I ever need to grab it sans glasses.
I doubt it is my grip, it could be, but I doubt it. I was an early adopter of the Glock 17, buying my first one in around 1986. This was back when they had the 19lb, non-captured recoil spring.
The friend who also experiences this lives on a mt bike and has stronger, larger hands than I do.

glocktogo
12-30-09, 12:35
Have you checked to ensure it has the correct ejector in it? It's not inconceivable that the wrong one inadvertently made it's way in there.

gringop
12-30-09, 12:43
Check the ejector/slide fit on your G19. I have found that If I adjust the ejector so it rides as high as possible (almost scraping the bottom of the slide) then I get much better extraction. Also check the face of the ejector for chips or deformation.

Since the 9mm shell is small in diameter, the ejector does not have a lot of surface to work with, especially if it is misaligned or chipped. Brass with rounded rims can also cause problems.

And it goes without saying to check the extractor.

Gringop

M4arc
12-30-09, 13:36
Check the ejector/slide fit on your G19. I have found that If I adjust the ejector so it rides as high as possible (almost scraping the bottom of the slide) then I get much better extraction. Also check the face of the ejector for chips or deformation.

Since the 9mm shell is small in diameter, the ejector does not have a lot of surface to work with, especially if it is misaligned or chipped. Brass with rounded rims can also cause problems.

And it goes without saying to check the extractor.

Gringop

How do you adjust the ejector on a Glock? It's built into the trigger housing...

If you're recommending the OP bend this somehow I have to disagree. The possibility is high you will do more harm than good.

SP1 - How old are the mags and mag springs that you're using? If this is is happening with 124gr and +P ammo I would have to think you've got something broken or weak. Mag springs may be worn, old-crappy followers, bent, broken or missing ejector (Yes I've seen trigger housing units missing the ejector from the factory!) a chipped or broken extractor or the wrong extractor for the model. I can't think of anything else right now but I'm sure we can get it figured out.

John_Wayne777
12-30-09, 13:45
Further, I have noticed the G19 is more ammo sensitive than the other 9mm Glocks--IN MY EXPERIENCE.

I've had the same experience. In my experience G19's become really sensitive about grip using standard FMJ ammo...but they seem to fare much better with duty/carry ammo.

spr1
12-30-09, 16:56
new mags, gen 6 followers. Ejector is in fact in the gun(s).
125+p has never zinged me in the face, but has passed over my head on occasion. No ammo does it all the time, it is sporadic.
After shooting jillions of rounds through 17's with zero problems, this is annoying.

M4arc
12-30-09, 16:59
new mags, gen 6 followers. Ejector is in fact in the gun(s).
125+p has never zinged me in the face, but has passed over my head on occasion. No ammo does it all the time, it is sporadic.
After shooting jillions of rounds through 17's with zero problems, this is annoying.

Have you owned the gun since new or did you buy it used? Check the extractor. Can you take a picture of it?

spr1
12-30-09, 17:07
3 of them new within the last 3 years. Extractors all look perfect.

ToddG
12-30-09, 18:24
Have you considered that perhaps your gun is just mad at you?

Barring that... The strongest man in the world can limp wrist(TM) a gun. That's because "limp wrist" is the wrong way to describe it. It occurs if the gun is allowed to move -- or moved unconsciously by the shooter -- during the recoil cycle.

Combine an occasional lax grip with a slightly underpowered round and you'll get a piece of brass in your face.

Also, and not to sound facetious, but if you always wear eye protection and a brimmed hat while shooting, the odds of getting case face goes down substantially.

spr1
12-30-09, 19:07
Yup, always wear PPE. I might not have it on at 0'dark thirty though. :)
I understand about the difference between pure strength and a momentary relaxation, and probably should not have even referred to that in the previous post. My intention was primarily to refer to another experienced shooter I have watched enjoy the same over the head ejection.
I have seen someone limp wrist a new G19 with weak ammo, he had several FTF's before switching to hotter ammo. The same weak ammo (UMC) and his new G19 worked fine in my hands (I do not remember the ejection path).
I forgot to mention that my G34 does not come anywhere close to beaning me either, just like all of the 17's.
I have skateboard tape on all of them, and the center forehead shot I took from the 19 this past weekend was while wearing gloves.
Maybe it is me. Maybe I should concentrate on the 17's that work so well for me.

powderkeg45
12-30-09, 19:33
My G-19 ejects Blazer brass/aluminum straight over my head. Sometimes with Remington/UMC I'll catch a casing in the face. I usually shoot in a ball cap so the shells land on the brim.

spr1
01-16-10, 14:07
Dredging this thread back up....
Went out for a little experiment using a friends "D" series 19, a "D" series 17 of mine and my "H" series 19. We loaded random numbers of rounds in the mags for each other to eliminate anticipation of the last round and used both WW white box 115 and some 124gr XTP somewhat warm, but not +p, reloads. Type of ammo was consistent within each mag.
Glock 17 not even close to the face for either of us.
Older "D" series 19, not even close to the face for either of us, ejection pattern very similar to the 17.
My newer 19, both loads had several cases per mag headed back towards our faces, with the last round almost dribbling out the back over our wrists a couple times. Both types of ammo were similar in path, but the WW was worse.
My 19's are "G" and "H" series, and all act the same.

ras61541
01-17-10, 03:01
My G17 used to do the exact same thing but only on the last round. The entire magazine would eject to the right but the last one would come straight back into my forehead. It was never a major issue, as long as it put a hole in the target i wasn't too worried about it.

spr1
01-17-10, 14:00
And, the last round my friend fired from my 19 in this little test actually went to the LEFT of the gun by about 6 inches.
Did Glock make any changes that could have made certain vintages of the 19 suspect?

skyugo
01-17-10, 14:22
my experience with G19's is that the hotter the ammo, the more it throws it to the right..
mine will occasionally toss one up over my head on the last round...
i think what happens is the casing hits the mag feed lips and goes up instead of making it all the way back to the ejector... :confused:

M4arc
01-17-10, 14:50
spr1 - Can you get a picture of the ejector/trigger housing unit with the slide off?

spr1
01-17-10, 16:50
PM sent

dbrowne1
01-17-10, 20:56
I've had the same thing happen any number of times with my 15+ year old Gen 2 G17 (as well as my much newer G19).

I couldn't point to any particular factor that causes it. I've just accepted the fact that every so often, I get beaned in the forehead or glasses.

spr1
02-28-10, 18:16
I think I figured it out.....
Having used G17 mags for ever (clinton years, and then the replacement set post AWB sunset), I assumed that G19 mags would last nearly forever as well. Well..... I tried a new mag, and it appears the getting hit in the face with brass is solved..... I am theorizing that the faster unlocking of the G19 compared to the 17 makes the gun more sensitive to having the rounds or follower sitting ever so slightly higher. In other words, the remaining rounds (or the follower) are acting like an improperly positioned ejector.
This may be a "duh", but with having used G17 mags for so many thousands of rounds lulled me into not considering normal magazine wear as a culprit. Silly me.
I am back to having the G19 as a favorite.

skyugo
03-01-10, 19:33
I think I figured it out.....
Having used G17 mags for ever (clinton years, and then the replacement set post AWB sunset), I assumed that G19 mags would last nearly forever as well. Well..... I tried a new mag, and it appears the getting hit in the face with brass is solved..... I am theorizing that the faster unlocking of the G19 compared to the 17 makes the gun more sensitive to having the rounds or follower sitting ever so slightly higher. In other words, the remaining rounds (or the follower) are acting like an improperly positioned ejector.
This may be a "duh", but with having used G17 mags for so many thousands of rounds lulled me into not considering normal magazine wear as a culprit. Silly me.
I am back to having the G19 as a favorite.

hmm... now that you point this out, my "range mags" that get lots of beating and are old anyway, (got em used) tend to wack me with brass more often.
how about new recoil spring vs old? i'm about to pick up a new recoil spring for my 19.. i may have to experiment a little.

CAVDOC
03-02-10, 10:51
my broker record comment,BUT the purpose of the extractor and ejector is to get the old case out-if it is doing its job leave it alone don't buy decreased reliability to fix what should only be considered a minor annoyance. ALWAYS wear eye protection while shooting!

AlliedArmory
06-01-10, 06:35
Interesting read here. My G34 does this to me as well.

ShipWreck
06-01-10, 14:05
I had a Glock 17 RTF2 that did the same thing. Strangely enough, only when I shot it in the weaver stance, and only with 115 gr ammo. 124 or higher, and it didn't hit me. Or, isosceles stance - and no problems with this issue at all.

I have a Beretta 90-Two, and it does this to me too. The 90-Two has a lighter frame and part of the grip is made up of the polymer slip on grip.

I added a rubber slip on grip, and shot it this past weekend. The ejection problem was gone, but I found the rubber grip made the grip too fat for me. I pulled it off, and as soon as I did, the casings went right back to hitting me in the head.

rooster828
09-22-10, 16:43
Anyone get this fig out? I just bought a glock 19 gen 3 rtf2 and i hate it, one shell hit my in the mouth, but most hit my arm leaving a cool little burn, some hit me in the face, its retarded!!! This thing is bran new and I have put 250 rounds through it every mag has thrown brass my way, im not new to shooting and have never had this problem on any other pistols. IM about ready to sell the damn thing. I'm bringing it back to the store to have the gun smith look at it but if its not the extractor and its just how it shoots anyone want it for $500? :angry: