PDA

View Full Version : Magpul AFG Use

blkexp98
12-30-09, 14:54
So now that the new grips are out and in use by the masses i have a question. I have a 10" handguard and the first say 2" are taken up by a bipod mount. So how functional would the AFG be if i had to move it back that much? It seems from the pictures the users are using a pretty extended hand position.

Im interested in the concept and it makes sence but i just dont know if it would work well in my applcation. My other alternative is just to hold the handguard as i normally would. My setup is a 12.5" barrel with a 10" larue handguard. On the sides i have surefire ladder panels, on the bottom i have three of the magpul clip together panels and sitting flush with the end is a YHM bipod mount.

Let me know what you can.

Thanks,

Major

RetreatHell
12-30-09, 16:01
What optic are you running? If you're running a red dot, or irons, then the bipod isn't a good idea anyways. I would personally never put a bipod on any carbine/rifle with a barrel shorter than 16". A 12.5" SBR upper is a straight up fighting gun, not a precision rifle, so I would scrap the bipod on that upper if I were you, and then install the AFG in its place (all the way forward to the edge of the rail).

If you want (even more) support while in the prone position without using a bipod, then just use the magazine as a monopod, it works well and won't cause any feeding issues so long as you're using a quality mag. If you're at the range doing some bench-rest shooting, then just either use the sandbags provided there or use your range bag/backpack/rucksack for support... or the magazine monopod if the bench isn't too high for it to work properly.

If you have a magnified scope and insist on keeping your bipod mounted (i.e. if you personally feel and believe that it's the very best setup for you and works great for you), then you would not benefit from getting the AFG IMHO.

Just like you already noted:

It seems from the pictures the users are using a pretty extended hand position.

The reason shooters are mounting the AFG as far forward as it will go on their rails is because it works best that way. With it mounted far forward on your 10" rail, your arm will be pretty much fully extended (especially if you run your collapsible stock 2-3 clicks out), and that is the way it is meant to be used: reaction-side arm fully extended and gripping the AFG using the thumb-break grip style so you can control the hell out of the recoil.

One thing I forgot to mention though, is that if you're a shorter guy and have pretty short arms as well, then the AFG might actually work for you if it's positioned behind the bipod mount. It's only $35, so you could always just buy one and test it out to find out if it works for you or not. That way you can experiment with it in all the different positions: behind the bipod mount, without the bipod mount, on your other carbines/rifles, etc...

Hope this helps.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

HeavyDuty
12-30-09, 16:23
I have an AFG on order, but to be honest I don't see myself even trying it on a carbine-length rail or HG. Like Paul mentions I see its strength being longer rails where you can grip w-a-y forward. I'm not even sure if a midlength with a FSB sight tower is far enough out to be optimal.

KingsideRook
12-30-09, 16:34
Mine should arrive tomorrow. I've got a DD 12.0 rail, and I suspect that the forward grip I take on it will be a lot closer to the front of the rifle than the rear. I am not sure how it will work if mounted on a standard 7" carbine rail, but I have a ruler and can mount it where it would be on a 7" rail. I suspect it might be a bit close for comfort for people, who have orangutan arms(me). We shall see, but my first impression as that this grip is for helping grip far forward on a rifle, which will work best with more rail out on that end.

HeavyDuty
12-30-09, 16:47
Mine should arrive tomorrow. I've got a DD 12.0 rail, and I suspect that the forward grip I take on it will be a lot closer to the front of the rifle than the rear. I am not sure how it will work if mounted on a standard 7" carbine rail, but I have a ruler and can mount it where it would be on a 7" rail. I suspect it might be a bit close for comfort for people, who have orangutan arms(me). We shall see, but my first impression as that this grip is for helping grip far forward on a rifle, which will work best with more rail out on that end.

That sounds a little like how I was trying to get a feel about if I wanted an AFG - I was using a rubber doorstop and a piece of duct tape on my various guns. :D

KingsideRook
12-30-09, 16:52
That sounds a little like how I was trying to get a feel about if I wanted an AFG - I was using a rubber doorstop and a piece of duct tape on my various guns. :D

Wow, are you me? :D I was trying to find a doorstop here yesterday, and then realized it was at work, or I would have already tried it. Next, I was going to bend some cardboard into a triangle, but then I got my shipping confirmation that the AFG would be here Thursday.

NCPatrolAR
12-30-09, 16:59
I have an AFG on order, but to be honest I don't see myself even trying it on a carbine-length rail or HG. Like Paul mentions I see its strength being longer rails where you can grip w-a-y forward. I'm not even sure if a midlength with a FSB sight tower is far enough out to be optimal.

I'm running a MI extended length carbine rail system with an AFG. The bottom of the rail stops just behind the FSB. I have my AFG sitting in the 2nd slot from the front and is about perfect for me. Pushing it further out would be uncomfortable and I have monkey arms.

RetreatHell
12-30-09, 17:28

Here's some pics that I snapped quickly of my friend's AFG mounted on my BCM middy upper with DD 12" Lite rail. It felt GREAT on there for me, so you'll most likely dig it on yours!

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/RetreatHell/Magpul%20AFG/IMG_2930.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/RetreatHell/Magpul%20AFG/IMG_2926.jpg

Semper Fi,

-Paul

KingsideRook
12-30-09, 17:33
Here's some pics that I snapped quickly of my friend's AFG mounted on my BCM middy upper with DD 12" Lite rail. It felt GREAT on there for me, so you'll most likely dig it on yours!

Semper Fi,

-Paul

Looks great, thanks for the pics - mine's an FSP rail, with an X300 in front of the front sight post, so I'm going to to try to find that sweet spot where it's far forward for control, but still lets my thumb access the switch to the rear of the light. I'll be sure to post pics once I've tried it.

blkexp98
12-30-09, 18:31
Thanks for the replies so far.

The reason for the bipod is i have a scope with a QD mount that i use at times. Most of the time the bipod is off and just the mount is there. The 12.5" barrel is accurate for paper punching/target shooting. A shorter barrel potentially is more accurate than a longer barrel since its stiffer. Velocity is what you give up on with a short barrel. So from a fighting standpoint your right.

My main optic is a regular old aimpoint ML2 with backup irons. In all honesty the aimpoint is the optic that really works with this rifle. The scope is just something i use periodically. Ive also tried a 1-4 optic but the aimpoint just works better for me.

I may try that doorstop test. Pretty inventive i do have to say. My arms are long if anything so that may save me the $35 though i may have to give in and try the real version.

Are yall using a more squared off stance or a bladed one?

NCPatrolAR
12-30-09, 21:09
Are yall using a more squared off stance or a bladed one?

Slight blade