PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an optic...need advice on what to get!!!

mcannell
12-31-09, 09:50
I am in the military and I am used to using the Trijicon ACOG on my M16A4.....I own a Smith and Wesson M&P15 for personal use and would like to get some optics for it. I really like the ACOG-type optic but am also interested in a red dot sight. I want an optic that I can utilize the Bindon Aiming Concept (aiming with both eyes open). I am looking for an optic manufacturer that makes good ACOGs/red dot sights for a reasonable price. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I would appreciate any discussion on whether you gus would prefer and ACOG vs a Red Dot sight. Thanks for the help! Later.

rob_s
12-31-09, 10:11
BAC is a little more complex in theory than just "both eyes open", but I'm not sure that matters here.

You're also going to need to define "reasonable price" and tell us more about what you want to do with the rifle and optic. (aka "what do you want to do with it and how much do you have to spend?", the M4C mantra).

If you're familiar with the ACOG and want to stay in that realm, Trijicon has a series of Compact ACOGs which are lighter, smaller and tend to have significantly greater eye relief than their larger cousins, which makes close-range shooting a bit easier. If I were in the market for one of these today I'd be picking up the TA33G-H (http://trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=703&back_row=2&categoryID=3), but I already have the older brother in the TA33R-8 (http://trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=557&back_row=2&categoryID=3) and while I think the "G" and the "H" are improvements over what I have now I don't think it's enough of an improvement to upgrade.

This is where you need to define "reasonable price" though. These optics sell in the $800+ range which you may not consider to be reasonable or within your budget.

Tell us more about what you want to do with it and how much you have to spend, and if that budget includes a mount or not, and in the meantime read up here in the optics section and you may find the answers you seek.

mcannell
12-31-09, 11:56
Thanks for the feedback Rob. I'm probably going to lean more toward the red dot sights just because I would like to try that out and because they are cheaper. A reasonable price to me is between $150-$300. I want somtething that I can use to aquire targets quickley at a fairly close reange (between 0-100 meters) thats why i have been mostly looking at red dots. I have found some pretty simple, basic red dot sights for prices between $35-$70 which seems kind of cheap to me. I'm not too experienced or educated on whats good or not because I just use what the government issues me. If anyone has any opinions, suggestions, or info, please let me know....Thanks guys.

diving dave
12-31-09, 12:04
I've owned ACOGS,Aimpoints, and Eotech. For me at least, the way to fly on a carbine: Aimpoint Micro T1 on a Larue mount, 3X mag on a flip mount behind that. Gives you the versatility to do pretty much anything in the carbine range.

rob_s
12-31-09, 12:04
IMHO you're going to be hard-pressed in that price range to find something that will stand up to the rigors of a centerfire rifle.

I am a big fan of the Aimpoint C3, but that's typically around $450+/- with a mount.

Outlander Systems
12-31-09, 12:57
A reasonable price to me is between $150-$300.

You may want to stick with irons, until you can muster the scratch for something beyond that range.

Pretty much everything below $400 is going to be a waste of money.

twodollarbill
12-31-09, 16:17
You may want to stick with irons, until you can muster the scratch for something beyond that range.

Pretty much everything below $400 is going to be a waste of money.

100% agree.......You need to look at a higher $$ for your stick.
I like the Aimpoint T1 and the Trijicon ACOG TA31F.

sff70
01-02-10, 01:12
I'm guessing that the ACOG has been chosen for you for MIL use.

You could either go with what you're going to be familiar with (ACOG).

However, IMO, any of the Aimpoints will accomplish any and all tasks you'd could require of a 16" barrelled 5.56mm carbine.

You need to compare the optics in person, but I would recommend a T1 or H1.

Good luck.

Failure2Stop
01-02-10, 03:52
If you are using your personal weapon as a way to maintain skill with your work gun I recommend the following options:

1- Suck up the CC payment and get a TA31F.
2- Get something that is robust and dependable enough to put on your work gun for your next tour.

If you just want something to play with and don't care about building or maintaining your skill with your issued gun, there are other options. There are also options in offset RDSs that can easily be dropped onto your work gun along with your issued COG.

The first step is an honest analysis of what you want to do with your money and time.

Submariner
01-04-10, 10:53
This is a pretty good deal for a TA31F:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=735259

tommy5.56
01-04-10, 19:40
I've owned ACOGS,Aimpoints, and Eotech. For me at least, the way to fly on a carbine: Aimpoint Micro T1 on a Larue mount, 3X mag on a flip mount behind that. Gives you the versatility to do pretty much anything in the carbine range.

This hands down. Out of all the optics out there, Aimpoint Micro T1 on LaRue tall mount is now my favorite set up.

If you do low light all you see is the floating dot :cool:

Dos Cylindros
01-04-10, 21:20
I just received my Aimpoint Comp M4 and could not be happier. I was leaning toward an Eotech 512 because that is what is on my Dept. issue Colt, and because it is significantly less expensive. After researching a little on this forum and others I realized I just need to bite the bullet and opt for the better red dot site. For me (an many others) the Aimpoint can't be beat. Be it the T-1, H-1 or one of the Comp versions, they are tough, well built and have unbeatable battery life.

I chose the Comp M4 because of battery life (roughly 8 years on ONE AA battery!), and the fact that I have watched numerous videos of them being abused and still working.

Good lukc with you search.