PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1991 BFP

Dave Berryhill
12-31-09, 12:03
I thought I'd post a couple of photos of a pistol that I just finished. It's a Colt 1991 "old rollmark" with the BFP package. The finish a satin blue with the sides of the slide polished.

http://www.berryhillguns.com/bfp21.jpg

http://www.berryhillguns.com/bfp22.jpg

http://www.berryhillguns.com/bfp23.jpg

Dos Cylindros
12-31-09, 13:43
Mr. Berryhill;

That is a bequtiful rendition of a basic fighting pistol. I really like the basic bare bones fighting gun format you have on that package. One of these days I would love to pick up a commander and have you do this package on it.

Good Work!

milosz
12-31-09, 15:35
Dig it a lot. Are you still accepting names for the waiting list? I see on your website that you are, but I thought I saw you say you had stopped somewhere on M4C.

SiGfever
12-31-09, 15:54
You do beautiful work sir!

frbowers
12-31-09, 18:47
That is really nice. The grips safety treatment and rear sight are excellent.

Forrest

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-31-09, 18:50
Love that gun. Love those sights.

SeriousStudent
12-31-09, 19:00
Simple never excludes beautiful. :)

Another fine weapon, Mr. Berryhill.

nking
01-01-10, 09:36
Simple never excludes beautiful. :)

Another fine weapon, Mr. Berryhill.

Simple IS beautiful.

panzerr
01-01-10, 09:53
That pistol is a work of art!

maximus83
01-01-10, 10:24
Great work, Dave!

Dave Berryhill
01-01-10, 13:40
Thanks guys! I wish you'd stop calling me Mr. Berryhill though. I'm turning 50 this year and already feel old so I don't need any more help! :eek:

Here are the details on the pistol.

BFP (Basic Fighting Pistol) package including:
- EGW carry bevel front bushing fit finger tight so it can be removed without a wrench. It still has the Colt barrel.
- MEUSOC rear sight with .140 wide square notch
- Novak dovetail front sight with gold bead
- Berryhill ignition parts including an Ultimate commander hammer and 4.5 lb trigger pull
- Berryhill short smooth match trigger with permanent overtravel stop
- Ultimate forged slide stop
- Wilson thumb safety
- Bar stock extractor and oversized firing pin stop
- Wolff 16 lb recoil spring and heavy duty firing pin spring
- Stippled front strap with borders
- Kings flat serrated mainspring housing
- Colt grip safety modified for a commander hammer
- All sharp edges removed while keeping the original lines intact
- Satin blue finish with the sides of the slide polished

The rear sight is the one that I had made for the MEU(SOC) replica pistol. It is machined from heat treated 4140 steel and will take a lot of abuse so you can use it to push the slide to the rear if necessary.

Years ago when I was a cop, standard rear sights were common and I trained to cycle the slide one-handed by pushing the rear sight against a solid object, hooking it on your belt, the heel of your boot etc. Then "no snag" rear sights became popular but they couldn't be used in that manner. Now we've come full circle by using rear sights that have ledges so they can be used to rack the slide one-handed.

Sights such as those made by 10-8, Heinie and Novak do offer some advantages such as a longer sight sight radius, the additional length necessary to hold tritium lamps plus they do look good but don't discount a nice solid fixed rear sight.

Before anyone asks, I don't have any of these sights available for sale right now. I'm working on having some more made but don't know when they will be available.

Here is another photo taken at an earler (uglier) stage. The hammer and trigger were changed after the photo was taken.

http://www.berryhillguns.com/bfp24.jpg

Alpha Sierra
01-01-10, 13:54
Kinda like a S&W Model 10: everything you need, nothing you don't

Very, very nice. I love the elegant simplicity of it all.

operator81
01-02-10, 14:34
Beautiful as always Dave. I especially like the simple, classic look of the grip safety.

SeriousStudent
01-02-10, 15:04
Thanks guys! I wish you'd stop calling me Mr. Berryhill though. I'm turning 50 this year and already feel old so I don't need any more help! :eek:

The half-century mark is in my rear view mirror.

Welcome to the fifties, where you have the wisdom not to do the things you have already done. ;)

David Thomas
01-02-10, 18:02
very nice 1911.

I really like the job you did on the Wilson thumb safety.

Bob Reed
01-03-10, 10:35
That's a beautiful pistol Dave.

VA_Dinger
01-03-10, 10:46
Absolutely stunning 1911.

It's a functional work of art.

signal4l
01-03-10, 11:29
I like it. Makes me want to pick up a Combat Commander for the same treatment