PDA

View Full Version : Avatar sucked

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-31-09, 19:12
"Avatar." It was really, really terrible. It was a kluge of lame, LAME Hollywood plot devices:

1. Noble white dude saves the savages.
2. Savages are "noble" and "environmentally aware."
3. Evil corporations are coming to ruin paradise.
4. Guns are bad. Knives and arrows are good.
5. The planet is one living entity that binds us all (you know, the force).
6. The natives are lead by wise, honorable folk.
7. The natives are lead by wise, honorable folk.s.
8. Soldiers are evil, stupid and heartless (but only human soldiers).
9. Pocahantas.
10. Pocahantas has a pissy brother with a heart of gold.
11. Native folk medicine heals all!
12. Bows and arrows are effective against tanks and helicopters.
13. The evil Col/Sgt/Old military guy.
14. They actually referenced "Shock and awe."
15. Standard fight to the death.
·

Oh, and the over-arching them was clearly, "America sucks."

Ak44
12-31-09, 19:13
Kinda like Dances with Wolves. I liked it. I wish I could of saw it at IMAX in 3D but I don't think I could watch it again...

znztivguy
12-31-09, 19:18
was the 3d any good???

El Mac
12-31-09, 19:23
Then it is typical retard Leftist bilge from Hollyturdorama. Jazz up the same ol tired message with CGI. <barf>

Armati
12-31-09, 19:44
Yes, it did have some pretty one dimensional character development.

Never the less, Western Civilization does have a long history of crushing indigenous people and taking their stuff. Western Civilization also is responsible for nearly every useful invention in human history. These are the facts. Why worry about it?

Lesser civilizations have always been absorbed or subjugated by more advanced civilizations. This simple history and part of the human condition.

ForTehNguyen
12-31-09, 19:45
wow talk about overanalyzing. America sucks? Because America was the only country to ever harm indigenous populations :rolleyes:

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-31-09, 20:18
Oh man. Just watch it.

Here is a quick plot summary....

1. Blackwater USA is running security for a mining company, possibly a Haliburton subsidiary.
2. Earth friendly blue-indians have built their tree-house on top of "Unobtanium." Yes, they really named it that.
3. Haliburton needs it. They try to sweet talk them.
4. When that doesn't work they use "Shock and awe" and "Daisy-cutters" on them.
5. The Blue indian earth people rise up against the evil corporation and, Ewok style, use bows and arrows to take down the contractors.

YAY!

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-31-09, 20:20
Basically, it was a barely warmed-over retread of "Aliens" mixed with "Dances with Wolves" with a sprinkiling of "Halo."

And yes, the 3d was neat. But hardly enough to keep this video game interesting for three hours.

Ak44
12-31-09, 20:22
AHAHA EWOK STYLE! :D

Captains1911
12-31-09, 20:23
was the 3d any good???

NO!!! I hated it in 3D, most of the screen was out of focus, I left feeling dizzy and nauseous. I did like the movie though, I may go see it again in a regular theater.

Bulldog1967
12-31-09, 21:28
Typical Hollywood.

Great visuals trying to cover for one-dimensional characters and a predictable story.

Yawn.

SkiDevil
01-01-10, 00:42
Basically, it was a barely warmed-over retread of "Aliens" mixed with "Dances with Wolves" with a sprinkiling of "Halo."

And yes, the 3d was neat. But hardly enough to keep this video game interesting for three hours.

I am glad that I passed on watching it, just confirms what a few others whom I know said about it.

Well, as Mr. El Mac would refer to them, it would seem that the Hollywoodtards have long ago run out of ideas for any meaningful or truly entertaining films. As time passes, I find myself going to the movies less and less.

Same old shit, different packaging. All sizzle no substance.

BTW, Mr. Bell I like your movie examples/ comparisons. Perhaps, you should start a Siskel and Ebert for the M4C Community. You seem to have a succinct and clear manner in describing a film.;)

Happy New Year Everyone!

SkiDevil

loupav
01-01-10, 00:49
I've heard a lot of bad reviews for this movie, but great reviews regarding the visual effects.

With that being said, I still want to see it anyway for the visual effects. But I don't have high expectations.

Jay Cunningham
01-01-10, 00:49
I will find out for myself Monday when I see it in IMAX 3D...

m4fun
01-01-10, 00:54
Wow - way to burst my bubble. Even got the wife geared up for meeting my scifi need.

Will still see it - just now I am tainted. :0

13F3OL7
01-01-10, 01:28
Thanks for the heads up. Just saved me the $4 rental fee at Blockbuster. Even with a military discount it would be over $10 to see it in the theater.

SWATcop556
01-01-10, 01:54
Caught it in 3D and have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Not horrible but not life-changing either.

If you've seen Dances with Wolves you've seen Avatar.

Volucris
01-01-10, 02:40
Dances with Wolves in space but it was absolutely excellent.

We're at the point where any current movie's story can be traced back to a previous one.

It seems a lot of people are just not understanding the movie at all.

Belmont31R
01-01-10, 03:52
James Cameron came out and said it is representative of common leftist ideology.

So no desire to see it. I want to watch a movie not some left wing political garbage expressed through film. If I want to watch that Ill go rent a Michael Moore "documentary".

kwelz
01-01-10, 04:13
Not this shit again..

Seriously, you can read just about any personal bias into a movie now adays.

There is no "America Sucks" theme to the movie. Hell there is no mention of ANY country. It is a basic retelling of Dances with wolves, or even Pocahontas set in a sci fi setting. It is your standard archtypical story. There are only what? 7 or 8 different ones. And we can only put so many spins on them. So of course it is going to be familiar.
Humans sometimes do bad things for monetary gain. Wow we have never seen that in history have we? AS mentioned before, we have the whole American Indian situation, slavery, etc that are perfect examples of this right at home.

There are a hell of a lot of good soldiers out there, both .mil and private. But there are also bad I am sure. And in a movie you need a bad guy. Selfish, blood lust filled soldier makes a good bad guy in a movie. I don't think the plot would have went very far without him. The good guy was also a soldier so keep that in mind as well.

If you go in thinking you will hate it then you are going to find a reason to hate it. If you go in and actually try to enjoy the movie then you will enjoy (probably) the movie.

Belmont31R
01-01-10, 04:26
Not this shit again..

Seriously, you can read just about any personal bias into a movie now adays.

There is no "America Sucks" theme to the movie. Hell there is no mention of ANY country. It is a basic retelling of Dances with wolves, or even Pocahontas set in a sci fi setting. It is your standard archtypical story. There are only what? 7 or 8 different ones. And we can only put so many spins on them. So of course it is going to be familiar.
Humans sometimes do bad things for monetary gain. Wow we have never seen that in history have we? AS mentioned before, we have the whole American Indian situation, slavery, etc that are perfect examples of this right at home.

There are a hell of a lot of good soldiers out there, both .mil and private. But there are also bad I am sure. And in a movie you need a bad guy. Selfish, blood lust filled soldier makes a good bad guy in a movie. I don't think the plot would have went very far without him. The good guy was also a soldier so keep that in mind as well.

If you go in thinking you will hate it then you are going to find a reason to hate it. If you go in and actually try to enjoy the movie then you will enjoy (probably) the movie.

The director of the movie in multiple interviews said what the motivation behind the film is. I dont need to read into anything. So if I went and saw it Id already know what the meaning behind the plot is. No guessing or reading into anything.

kwelz
01-01-10, 04:35
The director of the movie in multiple interviews said what the motivation behind the film is. I dont need to read into anything. So if I went and saw it Id already know what the meaning behind the plot is. No guessing or reading into anything.

Citation? Not trying to be a smartass here, I am serious. I have heard a couple people claim this but not one has been able to show any quote or clip of him talking about this being some anti American or Anti Military film.

I think one person put it best when asked about what the thought of the controversy in this film. It has been attack by both sides. Some people mad that the natives needed saving by a white guy and others like a few of you mad that there is some anti military feel.

At the end of the day, you’ve got to check some of your personal baggage at the door, ease up on the political sensitivity, not sweat the political correctness or lack thereof, and realize this is a movie in which an exo-armored space marine jumps out of an exploding ship to engage in a knife fight with a giant space panther. If that sounds like a good time to you, you’re going to dig this movie.

Not everything is some grand political statement. Sometimes it is just cool explosions and hot blue chicks with tails. :P

variablebinary
01-01-10, 04:52
"Avatar." It was really, really terrible. It was a kluge of lame, LAME Hollywood plot devices:

1. Noble white dude saves the savages.
2. Savages are "noble" and "environmentally aware."
3. Evil corporations are coming to ruin paradise.
4. Guns are bad. Knives and arrows are good.
5. The planet is one living entity that binds us all (you know, the force).
6. The natives are lead by wise, honorable folk.
7. The natives are lead by wise, honorable folk.s.
8. Soldiers are evil, stupid and heartless (but only human soldiers).
9. Pocahantas.
10. Pocahantas has a pissy brother with a heart of gold.
11. Native folk medicine heals all!
12. Bows and arrows are effective against tanks and helicopters.
13. The evil Col/Sgt/Old military guy.
14. They actually referenced "Shock and awe."
15. Standard fight to the death.
·

Oh, and the over-arching them was clearly, "America sucks."

Whatever's in your head is all you'll ever see.

Remember when people said there were all these George Bush like political overtones in "Revenge of the Sith"

And it doesn't matter if you like or agree with it, there is no denying that powerful entities with money and weapons do in fact slaughter, displace and pillage those without power and the means to defend themselves. The use of guns for hire is a typical part of the equation.

This had been the case since the dawn of time, so for such things to be reflected in films like avatar, or books, or whatever should not be some great shocker unless you literally slept through every history class in your academic life.

Belmont31R
01-01-10, 05:14
Citation? Not trying to be a smartass here, I am serious. I have heard a couple people claim this but not one has been able to show any quote or clip of him talking about this being some anti American or Anti Military film.

I think one person put it best when asked about what the thought of the controversy in this film. It has been attack by both sides. Some people mad that the natives needed saving by a white guy and others like a few of you mad that there is some anti military feel.

Not everything is some grand political statement. Sometimes it is just cool explosions and hot blue chicks with tails. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjdUMQ6SppM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4MIaHG2Yf0

He says it represents Vietnam, what we did to American indians, imperialism, greed, what we've done to the environment, etc

Lets see...US soldiers were the primary force in Vietnam, and in the indian wars.

What we've done to the environment? More liberal green shit.

Imperialism? A favorite key word of the left especially in talking about Iraq.

Greed?

Again not reading into anything. I dont have any desire to go see a film where those things are the basis for the movie, and the way the plot here works you have to be purposefully obtuse to not know what this flick is about. As the director says, in his own words, its about the Vietnam War, greed, the environment, imperialism, American indians, etc.

Sorry but a spade is a spade, and this film is meant to represent what the left thinks is wrong with America and the world, and the 'wrong' things we've done in the past.

jbsf3
01-01-10, 08:47
Great graphics/3D but I thought the plot/story were a bit over the top as well....

El Mac
01-01-10, 09:05
Dances with Wolves in space but it was absolutely excellent.

We're at the point where any current movie's story can be traced back to a previous one.

It seems a lot of people are just not understanding the movie at all.

Oh I understand it all too well, and why I won't waste my hard earned bucks sitting through some kind of Leftist propaganda pablum.

tmorg
01-01-10, 09:22
Typical hollywood BS. Plain and simple. they are trying to make up for a lack of creative talent by filling movies full of special effect crap.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-01-10, 09:45
Variable,

Remember when people said there were all these George Bush like political overtones in "Revenge of the Sith"

And they would be correct. George Lucas even went out of his way to name characters "Nute Gunray," "Lot Dod" too reflect his disgust with the politicians dominant in the 80s-90s when he was writing "The Phantom Menace." Mr. Lucas is very progressive/left in his personal politics and didn't mind making a statement or two. That's fine with me. I enjoyed those movies despite the political stuff because it was subtle and less ham-fisted. It isn't like the Emperor turned to the screen and said he was going to have a campaign of "Shock and awe" and drop "daisy cutters" on Wookies using his clone army of private military contractors to extract resources from.
under their holy monuments.

Avatar drove the bus off the cliff. The real crime of "Avatar" was just how transparent and unoriginal it was. This movie was literally one of the least original stories I have seen. It was, as stated before, "Aliens" mixed with "Dances with Wolves." Filter that through Halo and Mr. Cameron's doctrinaire leftist dreck and you have a 3 hour video game that teachers can show after "An Inconvenient truth."

Danny Boy
01-01-10, 09:54
I thought it was awesome. James Cameron rules. Didn't think about the political stuff as I don't care too.

Cohibra45
01-01-10, 10:41
I watched both interviews with J. Cameron and I have to admit that he is a typical Hollywood liberal and dreamer. So what??? Did you expect something different?? Both interviews are with extremely liberal media outlets also.

Step back and take a look at the whole picture so to speak!!!

Hollywood hasn't made any original theme movies in years............just look at how many remakes that have been released.

Cameron basically said in the interviews that "humans are the problem". He never mentions America at all. The interviewer is the one that mentions Vietnam!!! Cameron says that his belief is that it's our basic human nature to believe that we are above nature. Typical liberal beliefs!!!

It's a fantasy movie and that's all. Anyone can read anything into it if they want to. Cameron uses this common theme to gather in the gullible and naive (maybe that is where he got the idea for naming the indigenous people Na'vi???) for exploitation. I mean the movie Titanic was a total waste. Pure love story with everyone knowing what happens in the end. Same thing here.

Man.........It's just a movie!!!!!!!!!! I go to them for escapism and enjoyment, not expecting any revelation. My son (15) thinks it's the 'greatest movie made'!!! Hollywood has always had an inclination to show 'man' as exploitive. Just look at the 1921 King Kong.

My goodness Greg.....you really didn't think anything would be different did you???

For everyone here.........it's a love story with a good ending......nothing more, nothing less. :rolleyes:

Littlelebowski
01-01-10, 10:44
Go rent Hangover.

Palmguy
01-01-10, 10:51
Go rent Hangover.

Agreed.

jeffreywt
01-01-10, 10:59
So, it's like "Ernest goes to camp" in 3D?

Belmont31R
01-01-10, 11:07
I watched both interviews with J. Cameron and I have to admit that he is a typical Hollywood liberal and dreamer. So what??? Did you expect something different?? Both interviews are with extremely liberal media outlets also.

Step back and take a look at the whole picture so to speak!!!

Hollywood hasn't made any original theme movies in years............just look at how many remakes that have been released.

Cameron basically said in the interviews that "humans are the problem". He never mentions America at all. The interviewer is the one that mentions Vietnam!!! Cameron says that his belief is that it's our basic human nature to believe that we are above nature. Typical liberal beliefs!!!

It's a fantasy movie and that's all. Anyone can read anything into it if they want to. Cameron uses this common theme to gather in the gullible and naive (maybe that is where he got the idea for naming the indigenous people Na'vi???) for exploitation. I mean the movie Titanic was a total waste. Pure love story with everyone knowing what happens in the end. Same thing here.

Man.........It's just a movie!!!!!!!!!! I go to them for escapism and enjoyment, not expecting any revelation. My son (15) thinks it's the 'greatest movie made'!!! Hollywood has always had an inclination to show 'man' as exploitive. Just look at the 1921 King Kong.

My goodness Greg.....you really didn't think anything would be different did you???

For everyone here.........it's a love story with a good ending......nothing more, nothing less. :rolleyes:

I just dont like overtly handing money to some liberal asshat like James Cameron. Guess what? If people stopped paying these people money different movies would be made that arent about how evil humans are, and all the wrongs they have done (more specifically the US).

Yes its entertainment. That doesnt mean Im going to go see Bill Maher or even give HBO my money so they can pay an asshole like him to spout his anti-America opinion. Ill get my entertainment from sources that are not clearly anti-America...

Cameron said basically "yes to all of that" about the indians and Vietnam....like it was just a given that everything "evil" American soldiers have done is what the movie is about, and the environment. Again I have no desire to go see a movie that is a montage of what some liberal asshole Hollywood director things we have done wrong in the past.

There is no reading into anything. Its clear as day right from Cameron's mouth. I dont have a problem watching a movie that shows the dark side of humanity...I just don't wish to view a movie about what some liberal thinks is that side because its probably not going to be in line with my views. There are plenty of good movies I can watch that don't have that spin on them.

But its your money...do what you want with it.

Cohibra45
01-01-10, 11:34
I just dont like overtly handing money to some liberal asshat like James Cameron. Guess what? If people stopped paying these people money different movies would be made that arent about how evil humans are, and all the wrongs they have done (more specifically the US).

Yes its entertainment. That doesnt mean Im going to go see Bill Maher or even give HBO my money so they can pay an asshole like him to spout his anti-America opinion. Ill get my entertainment from sources that are not clearly anti-America...

Cameron said basically "yes to all of that" about the indians and Vietnam....like it was just a given that everything "evil" American soldiers have done is what the movie is about, and the environment. Again I have no desire to go see a movie that is a montage of what some liberal asshole Hollywood director things we have done wrong in the past.

There is no reading into anything. Its clear as day right from Cameron's mouth. I dont have a problem watching a movie that shows the dark side of humanity...I just don't wish to view a movie about what some liberal thinks is that side because its probably not going to be in line with my views. There are plenty of good movies I can watch that don't have that spin on them.

But its your money...do what you want with it.

Belmont, great post............no, I mean it!!! It is your money and this movie is extremely up front in it's story line. Don't go see it if you don't want to. I didn't waste my money on Titanic. I did however go see this one twice. The first time was in 2D and the second was in 3D.

Guess what??? The ending of the movie didn't change!!!:D:D:D The storyline didn't change!!! WOW!!!

There are plenty of movies out there that I wish were more commercially acceptable. One is 'Expelled' with Ben Stein. Another is 'Darwin's Delemma'.....

Both of those open up one's eyes to questions that 'most' people haven't seen, but should. They don't provide answers, just more questions and very thought provoking science/math.

Bottom line is as you so eloquently put it..........."It's my money", and I'll spend it on things I like to see. If you go to see this movie, you should already know what you are spending your money on.;)

One other thing........"If people stopped paying these people money different movies would be made that arent about how evil humans are, and all the wrongs they have done (more specifically the US)."

I think that this quote is being a little naive about the majority of people in general. History has shown that 'people' haven't changed from the beginning of time, just technology. If 'man' were going to evolve or even learn from his failings, you would have thought he would have by now.....

BTW, Bill Maher is an idiot with good hair and lucky enough to get his own show on HBO...........I don't watch him either as I really don't like watching and listening to idiots!!! My choice and I control the remote in my house!!!:D:D:D

Belmont31R
01-01-10, 11:51
Belmont, great post............no, I mean it!!! It is your money and this movie is extremely up front in it's story line. Don't go see it if you don't want to. I didn't waste my money on Titanic. I did however go see this one twice. The first time was in 2D and the second was in 3D.

Guess what??? The ending of the movie didn't change!!!:D:D:D The storyline didn't change!!! WOW!!!

There are plenty of movies out there that I wish were more commercially acceptable. One is 'Expelled' with Ben Stein. Another is 'Darwin's Delemma'.....

Both of those open up one's eyes to questions that 'most' people haven't seen, but should. They don't provide answers, just more questions and very thought provoking science/math.

Bottom line is as you so eloquently put it..........."It's my money", and I'll spend it on things I like to see. If you go to see this movie, you should already know what you are spending your money on.;)

One other thing........"If people stopped paying these people money different movies would be made that arent about how evil humans are, and all the wrongs they have done (more specifically the US)."

I think that this quote is being a little naive about the majority of people in general. History has shown that 'people' haven't changed from the beginning of time, just technology. If 'man' were going to evolve or even learn from his failings, you would have thought he would have by now.....

BTW, Bill Maher is an idiot with good hair and lucky enough to get his own show on HBO...........I don't watch him either as I really don't like watching and listening to idiots!!! My choice and I control the remote in my house!!!:D:D:D

I agree with that. I just have no inclination to go see a movie about what a liberal interprets that to be, and further pad their wallet for doing so. There are plenty of movies that show the failings of man that are not what the liberals think those failings are.

kwelz
01-01-10, 11:55

All other thing aside, I suggest you re-look at this. Stein especially has been thoroughly debunked.

kwelz
01-01-10, 12:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjdUMQ6SppM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4MIaHG2Yf0

He says it represents Vietnam, what we did to American indians, imperialism, greed, what we've done to the environment, etc

Lets see...US soldiers were the primary force in Vietnam, and in the indian wars.

What we've done to the environment? More liberal green shit.

Imperialism? A favorite key word of the left especially in talking about Iraq.

Greed?

Again not reading into anything. I dont have any desire to go see a film where those things are the basis for the movie, and the way the plot here works you have to be purposefully obtuse to not know what this flick is about. As the director says, in his own words, its about the Vietnam War, greed, the environment, imperialism, American indians, etc.

Sorry but a spade is a spade, and this film is meant to represent what the left thinks is wrong with America and the world, and the 'wrong' things we've done in the past.

Imperialism has been around a long time and has nothing to do with Iraq.

I don't see Anti-Imperialism, talking about what we did to Native Americans, Being against extreme greed, or giving a shit about the environment as being leftist or liberal ideals. Obviously they can be used by the left as tool, but I don't see that as the case here.

I am not a liberal, I am not even close and I agree with some of what he said in that interview. People do have sense of entitlement. We always have, and it is something conservatives are against in general.

skyugo
01-01-10, 12:09
wow talk about overanalyzing. America sucks? Because America was the only country to ever harm indigenous populations :rolleyes:

i may be wrong here, but i think we're the only country, or at least the first country to give conquered natives reservations...

01-01-10, 12:22
It's an individuals choice as to where their $$$ goes. I choose not to give it to Cameron. I think I'll watch some John Wayne or Clint Eastwood today.

Armati
01-01-10, 12:27
I think the problem is a lot of folks are emotionally conflicted. Their Judeo-Christian morals are in conflict with their understanding of history.

All of human history is one of subjugation, domination and assimilation. This IS our history. There is no getting around it. But, this is also all of human history. It is a natural fact that this repeated everyday in the natural world. It is a fundamental Natural Law. Worrying about this is like worrying about gravity.

Either embrace your White Guilt like the Liberals do or, embrace Manifest Destiny.

Anyone who is still annoyed by this historical narrative should read "Might Is Right" by Ragnar Redbeard.

Cohibra45
01-01-10, 14:37
All other thing aside, I suggest you re-look at this. Stein especially has been thoroughly debunked.

You mean that the math has been proven to be wrong???

kwelz
01-01-10, 14:48
Which math are you talking about?

I know the Discovery institute has tried to flout their math of how slim the chanced are that evolution could have happened but it has already been shown how they are manipulating numbers and trying to misdirect people. I am more than happy to debate Expelled, Evolution, and the Discovery institute, although I am hesitant to derail this thread anymore than it already is LOL.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-01-10, 15:27
O.K. Guys. This thread drift is getting out of hand.