PDA

View Full Version : February CRPC shoot - Debrief

bkb0000
12-31-09, 20:00
I'm going to reserve the pistol bays at CRPC for probably the first or second weekend in February.

My thinking for this event will be an emphasis on CQB with common rural and urban obstacles, and defending (or assaulting- it's your mindset) against multiple threats.

I may do an urban course of fire in one bay and rural in the other, or perhaps suburban theme in one bay and a parking-lot scenario in the other.

I'm thinking there will be 4 courses of fire - one each with battle loadout and carbine including transitions, and one each of just pistol w/ reloads in common street gear.

this is basically just off the top of my head- input, as always, is very welcome

keep in mind, weather will most likely be shit-ass cold and suck-balls wet, so if you're lacking in gear (got good waterproof/insulted boots with good tread?), now might be the time to place some orders (or be miserable!).

all for now, will update as necessary

carl20320
01-01-10, 03:32
Barring major conflict, I'll be there. I know they were doing the action pistol there the first Saturday of the month but don't know what the schedule is going to be like this year. I think they are shooting .22 indoor for action pistol in January. February, ?????

brigus48
01-01-10, 13:45
If I don't have to work I'll be there, whats the cost involved if any and how much ammo do we plan on burnin. Sounds like a good time lookin forward to it.

bkb0000
01-01-10, 15:10
If I don't have to work I'll be there, whats the cost involved if any and how much ammo do we plan on burnin. Sounds like a good time lookin forward to it.

no fees as of yet. since we're an entirely open-enrollment/non-exclusive/non-fee group for training only, they haven't asked me for money yet. it's quite possible CRPC might want us to start paying a small fee at some point, but for now it's just whatever costs we incur on our own- ammo, target stands, targets, CRPC membership dues for those of us that are members, etc.

i haven't worked out the course of fire yet, so i'm not sure on round counts. right now, i'd say you should plan on having 500 of primary and 250 of secondary, but we may only use half of that.

engine296
01-01-10, 16:13
What is CRPC?

bkb0000
01-01-10, 16:34
What is CRPC?

clatskanie rifle and pistol club, located about 5 miles south of Clatskanie city limits. good little range, and my usual training grounds.

it's actually not too far for you washingtonians- closer than portland, i'd say, and a damn sight closer than TCGC or DR.

46° 4'21.46"N
123°13'41.00"W

Just come down I-5, rip through longview, cross the bridge to Rainier, OR, go west on Hwy 30. it's about 20-25 minutes west of the bridge, if you don't stop. Bob's Sporting Goods, in Longview, which is only 2 blocks out of the way, usually has ammo on sale, and generally not-too-bad prices in general.

engine296
01-01-10, 16:50
Coordinates....nice.

bkb0000
01-01-10, 16:55
Coordinates....nice.

haha.. no, it's not that remote- i was in google earth, so i had the coordinates right there. the physical address is probably somewhere in the website, www.clatskaniegunclub.com , and i'll post it here later.

bkb0000
01-04-10, 17:46
2 pistol bays reserved for February 7th. I requested all day, and will probably set the meet start time for 11:30, to allow time for guys to drive out and for setup time. I'm still working on course of fire- again, if anyone has anything they want to work on, drills they're interested in trying, etc- shoot me a PM or post them here.

also, I could probably use some help with setup and takedown- i doubt i'll have too much trouble getting help, but if someone wants to commit to it, all the better. :)

feel free to show up any time before 11:30 if you need to zero or want to get some other trigger time in, the rifle range will be open, and it does have a short side for pistol. the rifle range is, unfortunately, open to the public on weekends, so you may have to compete with strangers for range space, but it hasn't been too busy lately.

as i said earlier, weather will probably be typically northwestian for february- plan on warmish clothes and rain gear.

NEW PEOPLE SIGN UP! don't be at all intimidated- this is a very friendly, encouraging get together. like wichaka's sigline says, train at the speed of a gunfight- so all drills have a competitive edge to them for sake of making you hurry the **** up and get your shots off. but we're all here to help each other improve, and that's exactly what we'll be doing out there. so dont be scared- sign up and show up! fun shall be had for all.

Almost forgot- we'll probably also do some low-light at the end of the meet. True night shooting requires special approval and supervision from range leadership, but in my reservation request to the RM i stated that i'd like to run some low-light drills at dusk.. not exactly "night shooting." i don't see any reason that should be a problem. i don't think most guys get the opportunity to do much low-light, so hopefully that'll be a little bit of a treat.

More to follow...

bkb0000
01-08-10, 09:33
went and ran a few pretty fast-paced drills in one of the pistol bays today.. think it'll be a good shoot. run'n'gun, situational awareness, weapon control/manipulation/reloads are all to be put to test. the bays are nice for CQB, as they're small and confined.. almost claustrophobic. really adds to the sense of urgency, as your targets are in your face. being bermed on three sides, we have better than 180 degrees of fire in there.

is nobody planning to attend, or do you all just trust me completely?

please check in here if you're coming. damn seattle/everett shoot is bogarting all the interest!

Titleist
01-08-10, 09:37
I should be there, Ben. I've got a Magpul class at the end of January/Early Feb, but I should be there.

bkb0000
01-08-10, 09:45
I should be there, Ben. I've got a Magpul class at the end of January/Early Feb, but I should be there.

you traveling, or are they coming hereish?

Titleist
01-08-10, 21:24
Traveling down to San Jose, CA. Land of broken dreams and shattered economies.

bkb0000
01-08-10, 21:54
Traveling down to San Jose, CA. Land of broken dreams and shattered economies.

ack.. what's a carbine shoot in cali look like these days? can you even take anything in your arsenal down there?

i don't even think my pistols are legal in that state.. this is why i haven't visited my father in almost 7 years.

Titleist
01-09-10, 13:27
Without sidetracking this thread too much. You can travel in to CA with your rifles and hicap magazines, and other scary items if you are going directly to a training or competition. So you need to be able to prove that fact. i.e you're not just in the state to hang around and also shoot stuff.

The majority of our class will be LEOs, others will be CA students using bullet buttons. I'll be one of the few civvies rocking an evil scary rifle without mods. In fact the SR-15 is specifically called out on the CA AWB ban list, but I can bring it in due to training. One last thing to note, NFA items are NO GO in CA. So SBRs, suppressors, etc can not come in. Lame-o. :rolleyes:

sproc
01-15-10, 15:44
I'll be there. Also bringing one buddy, Troy.

USAFR
01-26-10, 10:43
I'll see about keeping the date open, sounds like fun, getting all wet and shit. How many so far, looks like four or so.

Be safe.

RobL

carl20320
01-26-10, 10:58
Still planning on it here.

sproc
01-26-10, 11:44
5-6 by my count, unless people's plans have changed since posting.

Titleist
01-26-10, 11:56
I'll still be here, after the 2nd of Feb I'm back.

bkb0000
01-26-10, 15:01
i'm still coming. ;)

troyn123
01-26-10, 21:04
Woo hoo, I can post now! "sproc" talked me into it, it'll be my first course like this, and with a few pieces of new gear to boot (a sling and a holster). I'm looking forward to learning!

Cheers,
-Troy

USAFR
01-27-10, 13:38
I was thinking of going to Douglas Ridge this Saturday to check my zero and get ready for the three gun Sunday. The three guns costs $10.00 and $5.00 for range usage.
Let me know if ya want to come out Saturday. the bigest issue we had last time was spending hours getting the guns zeroed which left little time for training.

Be safe.

bkb0000
01-29-10, 15:52
if this weather keeps up, we might be shooting in short-sleeves and boonies. i ****in love el ninos.

please DO come early if you want to zero your weapon. not sure why you guys had so much trouble zeroing last time (im just going to assume its because you all suck), but come as early as you want. the range will be open at 8am, you can come as early as that if you want. keep in mind that our maximum target distance will be 20m in the pistol bays.

if you do come early, and for some reason the gate is not wide open- just park on the side of the road an hike up. that just means whoever's got volunteer RSO-duty for that day slept in or forgot. I'll be along at probably 9 or so, and you can move your vehicle up at that point.

bkb0000
02-07-10, 00:55
Every body hippity hyped up for tomorrow??

I meant to post a reminder earlier, but i forgot. so here it is.

Looks like we'll have 6-8 bodies on the range, and if anybody else wants to join in- feel free.

Just to recap- we'll be shooting on at the pistol bays, which are parallel and down-range from the rifle range. the cable that usually prohibits vehicular access may or may not be down... if it's down, you'll just see a road to the left of the rifle shack. park your vehicle someplace logical, grab your gear, and head down. Please keep magwells empty and bolts to the rear while not in the pistol bay area, including going to and from- and police each other.

Equip list/reminder:
Bring liquid, and lunch or dinner, your schedule depending
Bring at least 200 rounds of pistol and 400 rounds of rifle
Bring ear- and eye-pro - your choice if you wear eye-pro, but have it.. range requirement
Bring any low-light equip you want, or dont
Bring RAIN GEAR - the weather is supposed to be ****ing awesome, but this is the Great Northwest
Bring extra batteries for all your HSLD battery-opted gear
Bring me a Rockstar (optional)

i feel like there was more shit i was going to tell you to bring, but i can't remember. extra staplers/hammer tackers are always useful.

I'll be getting there, hopefully, about 9. i should be set up pretty quick.. i've been stuck in front of this computer all week, so i wasn't able to build all the way crazy obstacles i wanted to... setup should be quick. then i'll get getting some trigger time in on a couple weapons i haven't fired for a long time, probably on the rifle range- if anybody needs help with anything, just ask.

Email me for my phone number, or email me yours- bkb0000@comcast.net - if you have any problems finding or getting to the range. emails go to my PDA, i should get back to you in 5 minutes.

Gentlemen, I'll see you on the shingle.

bkb0000
02-07-10, 03:48
sonuvabitch.. i remember one thing- some of the drills we're running are pistol from concealment. so bring your CCW setup, if you see this before maņana. i'm sure everyone will anyway.

We'll start killing paper at high noon.. so come earlier for setup time.

bkb0000
02-07-10, 22:55
Only 4 shooters??? Where's everybody at?

I didn't know it was Superbowl Sunday... somebody could have pointed that out!

Excellent shoot. We really got out of our comfort zones and induced some telling hangups- which is exactly what these shootouts are for.

We started with Todd Green's Dot Torture... awful. absolutely awful drill. we each ran this one twice, once with pistol and then again with carbines- mostly as a holdover exercise.

Next, we... uhh... I don't remember what was next. Did we go straight into Color Coded Cover? I don't remember if we did anything before Color Coded Cover... but man, once we got on that, we stayed there till dark. Had some great runs- shooting from cover, shooting to cover, secondary transitions, reloading behind cover, target identification, weapon manipulation, shoulder transitions... fantastic.

So out of the 8 drills + variations I had planned, we only got to TWO?? amazing.

Fabulous prizes awarded:

Grand Prize: BCM Hat, only worn once - Ben
Second Place: Speer Gold-Dot hat, never worn, and only a little mold on the side - Jeff
Third Place: The round that malfed Isaac's BCM at the last CRPC shoot - Troy

NO ****IN PICTURES... Isaac, I blame you.

Round counts were relatively low.. we didn't do any line-firing, so no mass copious amounts of ammo expended in short periods of time. I'd guess we averaged 250 rifle and 100-120 pistol per shooter.

I wish we had done some line-firing, however... we never did get into my regular paper-plate drills. would have burned through another 100-150 rounds of ammo, but it would have been a good warm-up for the CCC drills later. I'd planned to do paper-plates, then Dot Torture... Dot Torture just sucked away all my desire to line-fire, though. i needed to MOVE. :cool:

Looking forward to the next shoot already!

carl20320
02-07-10, 23:07
Glad I didn't win any prizes! :p

Was fun meeting and shooting with ya'll. I've got some equipment bugs to work out. :mad:

USAFR
02-08-10, 09:53
Super Bpwl aside I got the cold from hell, would have loved to been out in that I got a 1000 rnd Saterday.
Well the up side is I still have the rnd, and the weather has to get better.

See ya next time all.

Titleist
02-08-10, 10:48
I totally forgot about this, Ben. Mah bad! :(

troyn123
02-08-10, 11:49
Thanks to everyone that showed up, and to bkb0000 for organing, I had a blast! :D It was definitely an interesting day for malfunctions... Double-feeds, blocked ejection ports, magazines sticking, magazines not seated fully, one mini-volcano mag, an Aim Point falling off partway through the course, all kinds of "interesting" training opportunities.

Some of the drills made me realize that I have zero muscle memory for shooting on the move and operating my safety left-handed, and many other things. All-around great time!

Cheers,
-Troy

Titleist
02-08-10, 11:53
So when's the next one so I can actually remember to go?

sproc
02-08-10, 12:24
I'd guess we averaged 250 rifle and 100-120 pistol per shooter.

and one rock. (Inside joke, but let's just say: carry a back-up pistol).

Thanks again, Ben. Looking forward to the next one.

Titleist
02-08-10, 12:36
Third Place: The round that malfed Isaac's BCM at the last CRPC shoot - Troy

You mean that shitty reload you put through my Larue SBR? Yeah...go figure.

bkb0000
02-08-10, 15:39
So when's the next one so I can actually remember to go?

Soon! 6-8 weeks, at the latest. Unless somebody wants to host one someplace else at some point in the next few weeks- in which case I'll push it back. I really want people to do "homework" between events... you learn what you're doing wrong at the events, but it's up to you to fix it during individual range time. One of our members, who shall remain nameless, said he hadn't shot since our last CRPC PNW shoot... everybody get out there and shoot!

You mean that shitty reload you put through my Larue SBR? Yeah...go figure.

that was a factory load- federal 50gr HP. weak as hell, but still factory. bobbery got it at walmart the morning of the shoot, and they gave him the wrong shit. then when he paid and left the store and realized they'd given him the wrong ammo, they said state law prohibited ammunition returns for any reason. brain fart on his part for not double checking, but total BS nonetheless.

Titleist
02-08-10, 15:49
Just got done with Magpul Carbine 1/2. I'm good to go, but could always use more trigger time.

bkb0000
02-08-10, 16:00
Just got done with Magpul Carbine 1/2. I'm good to go, but could always use more trigger time.

Indeed- we were hoping you'd share some of your investment with us yesterday. ;)

Titleist
02-08-10, 16:11
Honestly, I totally forgot and didn't remember till around noon yesterday. I'll be at the next shoot for sure. Sorry Ben!

bkb0000
02-08-10, 16:47
No sweat, man- i'm just flickin' shit. so long as a handful of people come, i haven't wasted my time. it's good to get people out, especially more advanced shooters and people with a few classes under their belts, to contribute to the collective experience and insight of the group- but if the leader does his part, the shoot should be successful whether 2, 4, or 8 people show.

sproc
02-09-10, 09:37
Can we try for a Saturday next time? That would greatly increase my ability to recruit some friends who are a little stricter about attending church than I apparently am.

USAFR
02-09-10, 09:49
Greetings all:

Does ayone want to set a date in March for a get together out at Douglas Ridge? on a Saturday. I know its a drive for some but getting trigger time is waht it's all about.

Be safe

Titleist
02-09-10, 10:37
I think early march would rock.

bkb0000
02-10-10, 00:37
Greetings all:

Does ayone want to set a date in March for a get together out at Douglas Ridge? on a Saturday. I know its a drive for some but getting trigger time is waht it's all about.

Be safe

Sounds good to me. I'll get a slot for late March or early April for the next CRPC shoot.. in fact, i'll post the thread now. Feel free to start a March Douglas Ridge Shoot thread, and get it on peoples' calendars.

USAFR
02-10-10, 09:34
I'll check and make sure of the weekend I'm thinkin the 20th or 27th, but if the 13th works better thats cool as well.

So what say ya all? :>