PDA

View Full Version : Good IWB holster for G19?

Snake
01-01-10, 13:19
I'm waiting on my G19 to arrive at my dealer and I'm looking for a good IWB holster to carry it in. Kydex or leather, it doesn't matter. I was wondering what you guys preferences were and why.

GMZ
01-01-10, 13:28
Leather- VMII or M11
Kydex- Phantom

SeriousStudent
01-01-10, 13:34
The Milt Sparks Versa-Max II is an excellent holster, as GMZ recommends.

For Kydex, may I politely recommend a Comp-Tac Minotaur?

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

M4arc
01-01-10, 13:38
Leather- VMII or M11
Kydex- Phantom

I'd also like to add the CCC Looper to that list.

GLOCKMASTER
01-01-10, 13:38
I'm waiting on my G19 to arrive at my dealer and I'm looking for a good IWB holster to carry it in. Kydex or leather, it doesn't matter. I was wondering what you guys preferences were and why.

I use a wide variety of holsters for my G19's but my favorite IWB's are:

Kramer IWB #3 in horsehide- it is so comfortable that I can carry it 16+ hours a day without a problem. Also it has a reinforced mouth so the holster doesn't collapse when you draw it making reholstering very easy.

Carry Concepts Looper for AIWB- A very comfortable holster to use when carring appendix IWB which happens to be one of my favorite ways to carry my G19. Also it doesn't collapse when you draw.

Also make sure that you get a good belt that is made for carrying a gun. It makes all the difference in the world.

NCPatrolAR
01-01-10, 13:41
I like the Comp-Tac CTAC.

ToddG
01-01-10, 13:46
My recommendations would mirror JFreuler's. For kydex (or AIWB), the Looper. For a leather behind-the-hip IWB, the Kramer #3 is excellent. The original Kramer #3 was designed specifically around the G19, as a matter of fact.

Alpha Sierra
01-01-10, 13:50
FIST #20

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC00610.jpg

The C-TAC sits on the shelf ever since I got this.

BillSWPA
01-01-10, 13:58
I carry my Glock 19 in a Blade Tech IWB. This holster is sufficiently thin so that it does not significantly add to the total thickness that must be concealed and must fit within my waistband. It is also quite secure, and allows easy one-hand reholstering. It is adjustable for a vertical or grip forward 15 degree cant, and for 1.25, 1.5, or 1.75 inch belt loops.

As between leather and kydex, I have found that most rigidly molded leather holsters, with a reinforcing band around the mouth, add far too much thicnkess (up to 1/4 inch) for comfort or concealability. Going to a soft, unmolded leather holster gives up one-hand reholstering as well as retention unless a thumb break strap is added. Kydex is the only way I have found to get the desired rigidity and thinness. Kydex is also more forgiving of less than perfect draw technique, while leather will resist the draw unless your draw keeps the muzzle parallel to the holster. This same forgiving nature of kydex can also be a disadvantage: If your gun is grabbed while holstered, an open topped leather holster will give you more time to respond before the gun is actually withdrawn than kydex. Someone grabbing your gun is less likely to withdraw the gun at the correct angle for an easy release than you are when wearing the holster.

awm14hp
01-01-10, 14:00
I use a wide variety of holsters for my G19's but my favorite IWB's are:

Kramer IWB #3 in horsehide- it is so comfortable that I can carry it 16+ hours a day without a problem. Also it has a reinforced mouth so the holster doesn't collapse when you draw it making reholstering very easy.

Carry Concepts Looper for AIWB- A very comfortable holster to use when carring appendix IWB which happens to be one of my favorite ways to carry my G19. Also it doesn't collapse when you draw.

Also make sure that you get a good belt that is made for carrying a gun. It makes all the difference in the world.

Yep HH IWB #3 for sure I have one for all three sizes of 9-40 Glocks its over kill for a model 26 but a great holster none the less.

Love it for the 19-23 for sure

kmrtnsn
01-01-10, 14:51
I have a Kramer horsehide IWB for my old SIG that I just love. I just got a DeSantis Cozy Partner IWB for my HK that I am growing partial to. It has a leather tab to keep the back of the slide off of your skin/shirt, a useful feature. It needed to be dyed on the rough surface side (too white) but no big deal. I have tried Kydex IWB's but found that they are too hard on your clothes and never get comfortable like leather does after it wears.

VA_Dinger
01-01-10, 15:10
Another quality option is the Safariland Model 27. I've been carrying my G19 in one for the past year and will recommend it without hesitation. It's as well built and comfortable as any IWB holster I've ever used.

GLOCKMASTER
01-01-10, 15:13
Another quality option is the Safariland Model 27. I've been carrying my G19 in one for the past year and will recommend it without hesitation. It's as well built and comfortable as any IWB holster I've ever used.

Good call Paul. Several of my instructors have been using this holster and they have nothing but good things to say about it.

Roy
01-01-10, 15:44
I have had good luck with both BladeTec and Raven concealment

sigmundsauer
01-01-10, 16:42
I'll echo the CTAC - best IWB, IMO. My G19 resides in a CTAC Slide just in case I ever size up or down with a G17 or G26.

Tim

Ak44
01-01-10, 16:45
Comp-tec CTAC, thats what I wear for my G21SF and the Ghurka for my HK45C.

woodandsteel
01-01-10, 16:59
For Kydex, may I politely recommend a Comp-Tac Minotaur?

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

This is the holster that I wear and recommend. Been wearing it since the Summer of '08.

Business_Casual
01-01-10, 17:06
I like the Comp-Tac CTAC.

I do as well, I bought mine in 2004 and have only replaced one belt clip.

M_P

Hayduke
01-01-10, 17:26
this is my G19 in a Peters Custom IWB. very low profile and comfy.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt131/Clintonville2869/DSC_0749.jpg

markman
01-01-10, 17:43
Raven Phantom for IWB or OWB.

spankaveli
01-01-10, 18:17
I tried a VM2, it rode too high for my likes. The TT Gunleather IWB holster rides a bit lower and is more comfortable for me.

Currently I mainly carry my 19 in a Leather Arsenal DDCS. It's a variant of the milt sparks summer special and works very well at 3 o'clock to allow for around the front WHO drawstroke.

sniperfrog
01-01-10, 18:48
I like the Looper from Custom Carry Concepts. It's pretty comfortable with a fullsize M&P in appendix carry.

Detmongo
01-01-10, 19:18
i use one of three iwb. milt sparks ex, kramer 1 1/2, and an skd tactical kydex iwb.

QuickStrike
01-01-10, 19:56
this is my G19 in a Peters Custom IWB. very low profile and comfy.

[IG]http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt131/Clintonville2869/DSC_0749.jpg[/IMG]

I might try one of these. I like the way the belt loops are far apart and not directly on the side of the gun = much slimmer IMO.

.30kal
01-01-10, 20:16
I second the Comp-Tac Minotaur - far more comfortable than the CTAC IMHO.

rickp
01-01-10, 21:02
Milt Spark VMII

Oscar 319
01-01-10, 21:19
Another vote for the Comp-Tac Minotaur with the "slide" option. It fits ALL my Glock 9's and 40's. Great holster.

DocGKR
01-02-10, 00:49
My favorite IWB is the Sparks Heritage #1; the Kramer IWB #2 also works well.

cschwanz
01-02-10, 08:27
for IWB, i love the Crossbreed Supertucks. they are the first holster IWB holster i tried after getting my ccw last year and havent bothered to look anywhere else. Not the prettiest holster on the market, lol, but it get the job done on comfort.

awm14hp
01-02-10, 09:25
I forgot to mention the Alessi Talon I have many of them for all sorts of guns big and small they work really well. Lou is gone(RIP) but they are still making his leather

dbrowne1
01-02-10, 09:42
If you don't need to take the gun on and off of your belt during the day, the CCC Looper is very secure and more durable, and you can and should use a solid loop rather than a clip or hook regardless of the particular holster.

I do have to quickly and discreetly take mine off during the day for various reasons and have used the Comp-Tac Infidel every day for several years now, using BOTH the clip on the holster body and the "shirt tucker" clip behind it. This gives two points of attachment (two is one, one is none) and makes the gun more stable. I'd imagine the other dual clip models they have (Minotaur, etc.) would work well, too.

The only criticism I have, and this is a common one, is that the kydex clips break. On mine it's just the shirt tucker one that breaks, from repeated stress right at the 180 degree bend at the top of the loop, from being flexed on and off the belt so much. The clips can also catch and snag on things (doorways, chair arms, etc.) which can break them. I seem to break about 2 of them a year. The holster works very well for my needs otherwise, so I just keep a couple spare shirt tucker clips at home and replace them as needed.