PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mk I Bolt Stop Pin Pivot Issue

jmp45
01-01-10, 18:41
This is really odd, I've had this MK 1 from the 70s and never broke it down. When I attempted to remove the mainspring housing it was hanging up on the stop pin pivot (A26-2). Apparently it worked it's way out over the years from the right side of the frame protruding on the left side maybe an 1/8 inches or so. It's hanging up on the grip frame and I can't see anyway to get to the pivot to recenter enough to remove the mainspring housing.. From what I can see I'll never be able to remove to do a good cleaning. I thought maybe a thin grinder disk on my dremel to cut the pin excess between the frame and housing and replace the pin after a cleaning. But there's not enough tolerance to use any cutting tool on the pin.

Have any of you guys ever experienced this, or an idea how to resolve?

Thanks for any help..

http://www.hamptonplace.com/_remote/pics/rugerm1_bolt_stop_pin.jpg

DrMark
01-02-10, 00:21
That pin on my Mk II tries to work itself out from time to time. However, I have it apart enough that it hasn't come out enough to lock up the gun's disassembly.

Sorry, no real ideas on what to do yourself.

You may consider sending it to Ruger. They have a stellar reputation for customer service.

jmp45
01-02-10, 07:44
Thanks Doc, I guess I'll need to send to Ruger. They will probably have to grind out the whole assembly to get to the pin. You would think they would seat that better.