PDA

View Full Version : Blown Out Primers - Hornady TAP LE

HD1911
01-01-10, 19:35
Wanted to ops check my home defense ammo, Hornady TAP .223 55gr, at the range a few weeks ago. Had 3 blown out primers out of 5 rounds. I was extremely disappointed.

I have shot around 2,700 Trouble Free rounds out of my rifle including PMC Bronze, SSA, XM193 and M855.

Then first round ever of Hornady TAP blows out a primer and locks up my rifle... wtf :confused:

*Have already sent the ammo back to Hornady where they tested it and said pressure curves and velocities were fine. I'm really not too happy with the situation right now.

**Rifle is an LMT CQB MRP 16" D.I. with a Geissele SSA and a PWS FSC556 Compensator, and a BCM extractor upgrade kit.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/HD1911/LMT%20CQB%20MRP/CQB009.jpg

Spooky130
01-01-10, 21:49
Interesting... I would trust the LMT chamber plus the work with higher pressure ammo already starts to point at the Hornady stuff. I seem to recall that there was a time frame when the TAP ammo had issues with blown primers...

Spooky

HD1911
01-02-10, 14:41
Interesting... I would trust the LMT chamber plus the work with higher pressure ammo already starts to point at the Hornady stuff. I seem to recall that there was a time frame when the TAP ammo had issues with blown primers...

Spooky

The guy whom I've been speaking with from Hornady was saying it's more than likely a problem with my rifle. But if thats the case, then why hasn't it done that with any other ammo ya know?

And what kinda pisses me off, is that to make up for it they are just swapping the 3 boxes of TAP I sent in, for 3 boxes of 55 gr .223 V-Max! I don't think I will ever shoot Hornady again. It's left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I guess I will give Gene at LMT a call on monday and see if he has any thoughts.

ST911
01-02-10, 15:37
If you've been running XM193 and M855 without issues, as well as others, your chamber is likely good. LMTs get high confidence for correct chambers in general anyway.

Got access to one of Ned's chamber gauges, just to make sure?

Hornady 55gr TAP is standard SAAMI stuff. I wouldn't expect to blow primers from it. If you are, I lean toward an ammo problem. That stuff shouldn't pop them in SAAMI chambers, much less a NATO chamber.

Both LMT and Hornady are GTG, as are their techs and CS people. Don't lose confidence in either. Odd that Hornady is sending you different ammo than you sent in. Last time I had an issue with them, I got the same p/n and a bit more for my trouble.

sabretom
01-02-10, 17:17
[QUOTE=
Then first round ever of Hornady TAP blows out a primer and locks up my rifle... wtf :confused:

Yeah WTF! I'm not impressed with Hornaday's answer We're talking .223 in a 5.56 chamber and several other types of 55gr function properly?

Get a different person @ Hornaday, they've always been top notch with answers.

FMF_Doc
01-02-10, 17:28
Do you have a lot # for the ammo? I just shot up 100 rounds of 55 gr TAP LE yesterday without a hiccup.

Iraqgunz
01-02-10, 17:55
I would pursue this matter further with Hornady. It's possible that you have a chamber that is out of spec, but you would have had blown primers with the other ammo as well.

sabretom
01-02-10, 18:04
How many a's in Hornady??

keller
01-03-10, 22:24
Im gonna guess its the ammo. Did you write down the lot #? I had a buddy that broke the bolt face on a .223 Rem 700 not too long ago. A call to Hornady revealed a bad lot.

Keith E.
01-04-10, 11:41
Coulda been some of that Superformance stuff. :)

Good Luck on getting it straight to your satisfaction & Big Plus on no injuriy or busted equipment.

Keith