PDA

View Full Version : AICS for .223 LTR?

jeh
01-01-10, 21:31
I am just now starting to look into a precision rifle. I would use it primarily for long range varmint hunting. From what I can find, it doesn't look like I can use a .223 Remington LTR with an ACIS stock. Is this correct? It looks like ACIS only makes it for the .308 and up calibers.

Thanks for any info.

mark5pt56
01-02-10, 06:33
http://www.bauerarms.com/page11.php?view=productPage&product=78&SessionID=b704944a8f280b906a7

One place tht has them.

I would like to see AI make a "hunter model" chassis one day.

crossgun
01-02-10, 06:53
jeh

I believe your action is the standard 700 short action so I don’t see a problem. I am running a 223/5.56 in an ACIS stock and impatiently awaiting the arrival of the new mags that mark has posted a link to.

I suggest you get your hands on one and get behind it for a few shots. You may find that you don’t like the feel and fit. It seems guys either love them or hate them. Don’t get caught up in the cool guy thing like I did a little bit. When you spend $1000 bucks on a stock no matter how it feels you want to like it. I have the 2.0 and like it because it folds and makes cleaning easy (remember I have to like it). Other than that I have McMillian's that feel and fit a lot better to me for my size and shape. You can easily get a great fiberglass stock and have it bedded, and add some form of detachable bottom metal for a mag if you want for the same money.

Just try one before you buy one.

mark5pt56
01-02-10, 07:04
CDI makes the bottom metal that uses AICS mags. An option is to have Jeff inlet the stock and if you want, have him fit the mag latch for you. I don't know if he offers the .223 mag yet with his kit.

My PSS has his kit, works great.

http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/c1/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

BiggLee71
01-02-10, 10:33
An Accuracy International stock for a Remington 700 SA should fit just fine. Mags are another story though. Good luck and keep us posted.

vinesr6
01-14-10, 08:31
I'm hoping the mags will be in soon, your S/A 700 in .223 will drop right in on that AICS.

Scrounger
01-20-10, 01:24
Yes the R700 in 223 being a standard short action 700 will fit in a AICS, you can also modify the standard 5rnd 308 mag to hold 8rnds 223 and the 10rnd mag to hold 18 rnds 223. All you need to do is add shims to the side walls and bend the feed lips a little. I think there was a thread on snipershide awhile back on a DIY solution. Good luck.

For varmit hunting though I put my 223 ackley in a Mccmillan HTG inletted for bottom metal to use the AICS mags. with Varmit contour barrel. Much lighter and handier than being in a chasis. The prairie dogs are gonna catch hell this year. Good luck.

robinhawkins13@comcast.ne
02-07-10, 08:23
try widwest shooting access.

mildot
02-07-10, 08:36
I am just now starting to look into a precision rifle. I would use it primarily for long range varmint hunting. From what I can find, it doesn't look like I can use a .223 Remington LTR with an ACIS stock. Is this correct? It looks like ACIS only makes it for the .308 and up calibers.

Thanks for any info.

Buds you are where I was at a year ago. MHSA and Adam at Bauer Arms will be able to take care of your AI needs.I opted for the .223 for the wide range of ammo available.

As a "lefty" I've been waiting of the AICS stock for awhile, just like buddy said you either love it or hate it. I find the "thumbhole" style comfortable. The AI stock is "top shelf" same quality as a McMillan.

Figure out what you like and go from there. I've handled the new .223 mags at SHOT and they are GTG, just another reason to go with the AICS IMO. Cheers