PDA

View Full Version : SIG Barrel wear?

WS6
01-01-10, 22:17
I have heard this is normal wear, just curious how many other people have this kind of wear-pattern on their SIG.

http://i45.tinypic.com/289l8aq.jpg

Dirknar
01-01-10, 22:26
I just looked at my P220 and it doesnt have the wear right there.. Its got about 3-400 from me and I bought it gently used.

WS6
01-01-10, 22:35
I just looked at my P220 and it doesnt have the wear right there.. Its got about 3-400 from me and I bought it gently used.

around 1K rounds of 9mm through the one pictured above.

Dirknar
01-01-10, 22:40
Is there wear on the slide right there too? I would imagine that its machining marks on the slide in that area making the wear.. you could clean it up with a file but then you would also file off the nitron, or is it a stainless gun?

WS6
01-01-10, 22:47
Is there wear on the slide right there too? I would imagine that its machining marks on the slide in that area making the wear.. you could clean it up with a file but then you would also file off the nitron, or is it a stainless gun?

Stainless gun, slide looks perfect, feels perfect, no burrs, right-side is as-shown in the picture. I have another stainless SIG that shows the same wear-bias for the left-side, but doesn't jut down like that, just wears a groove on the right side while the left is a bit less-so (looks the same as this, just doesn't have the "finger" of wear protruding down so much).

Marcus L.
01-02-10, 09:18
I'm a Sig armorer for DOI. It's normal so see different degrees of wear on the locking lug. As long as the pistol groups fine, don't worry about it.

ToddG
01-02-10, 09:33
Is it three-dimensional (i.e., you can feel a definite step being pounded into the barrel) or just a flat wear mark?

If it's just the finish polishing on one side, I wouldn't think twice about it. If metal is actually getting pushed around, it may still be nothing but I'd probably have SIG look at it just to be sure. There is a heat treating process applied specifically to that spot on the barrel to improve durability... if your barrel wasn't treated properly it could lead to deformation of the locking surfaces over time.

WS6
01-02-10, 09:49
Is it three-dimensional (i.e., you can feel a definite step being pounded into the barrel) or just a flat wear mark?

If it's just the finish polishing on one side, I wouldn't think twice about it. If metal is actually getting pushed around, it may still be nothing but I'd probably have SIG look at it just to be sure. There is a heat treating process applied specifically to that spot on the barrel to improve durability... if your barrel wasn't treated properly it could lead to deformation of the locking surfaces over time.

It is 3-D as seen in the photo, slight ridge with a small amt. of metal being moved.

ToddG
01-02-10, 09:58
If it were my gun, I'd probably shoot it for another few hundred rounds and see if the wear continued. If so, then off to SIG for inspection and possible replacement.

Is there any peening of the slide where it's mating to the barrel at that point?

WS6
01-02-10, 13:21
If it were my gun, I'd probably shoot it for another few hundred rounds and see if the wear continued. If so, then off to SIG for inspection and possible replacement.

Is there any peening of the slide where it's mating to the barrel at that point?

There is no peening/roughness/anything out of spec about the slide. It is shiny in spots corresponding w/the shiny spots on the barrel hood. The red-circled part of the "ridge" is barely snaggable by the thumb-nail (at the worst spot, maybe .001" or so ). Weapon currently has 1K or so through it. 9mm.

Other than that little "finger" of wear, does it look typical to you?

ToddG
01-02-10, 13:41
That's what I meant by 3D. If it's barely noticeable by feel, it's most likely just finish wearing unevenly. Again, I wouldn't worry about it in the immediate term. Just keep an eye on it and if it worsens, contact SIG.

WS6
01-02-10, 13:57
That's what I meant by 3D. If it's barely noticeable by feel, it's most likely just finish wearing unevenly. Again, I wouldn't worry about it in the immediate term. Just keep an eye on it and if it worsens, contact SIG.

Thanks, good stuff. I realise that things might be .001 or so out of spec and it might just be wearing-in. Figured I would ask if others saw wear like this though. I have 2 sigs that look identical (except for that "finger"), but have no real experience with sigs and both of mine are Elite ST's and I wondered if it was normal or not. I have a retired officer friend that looked at these pix and said "normal, looks like around 1200 rounds through it", so I figure it is indeed normal. On cursory inspection, Bruce Gray also said it appeared normal at first-glance, but he is going to check the lock-up and measure things before shipping my pistol out to be Tenifer'ed. Will call him monday and if he says it all measures out good, then as far as I am concerned it's rock-solid.

operator81
01-02-10, 14:06
I had some odd looking wear marks on my P226R's barrel in different spots. I think its just attributed to parts wearing in. Like was said above, I'd just keep shooting it. As long as the wear doesn't get worse and you're not having malfunctions you should be ok.

WS6
01-02-10, 14:25

Looked at a P220 today. Barrel-hood is designed slightly different.