PDA

View Full Version : .17 for an ATV?

CBTech
01-01-10, 23:23
I'm putting this here in the GD because it isn't entirely about firearms.

I bought a 50cc Suzuki 4 wheeler for my daughter and it has a screwed up carb. It needs a new one or a rebuild. Probably a spark plug wire and plug to boot.

I put it up on CL for $300. These things go from $600 and up in running condition. I just need to get rid of it and my daughter said she didn't want to ride 4 wheelers to boot. I put in the ad that I would entertain Firearm related stuff in trade.

One guy calls and offers cash. Another guy offered up a nearly new Marlin .17HMR 917VS.

I was looking at getting a .17 and teaching my daughter to shoot with one (sooner or later). The Marlin comes with a scope and that puts the value of it at nearly the $300 I was wanting. The $300 CASH could also go toward my next AR build. Would like to get a billet lower from SD, TI, or POF.

I just need some help here. It's unlikely I'll be teaching my daughter anyhting for the next year since I'm going on deployment soon and then have some follow on stuff after that (school). Plus, she's not going to be ready to for another 2 years, she's only four. I don't varmint hunt but I would like to get one for a SHTF gun for shootin' at some tiny vittles.

One way I'd be able to get a lower without having to take money out of the bank and the other hand I would be getting a rifle that I had always had plans for, the urgency just hasn't been there.

Whish one?

RancidSumo
01-02-10, 00:30
I'd take the cash so that you can either spend it on an AR if you want or buy the rifle for your daughter when you get a chance to teach her (that's what I would probably do) Plus, I am not a huge Marlin fan so I'd take the cash and buy some other brand to teach her with.

randolph
01-02-10, 07:16
take the $$ for now...

I actually have that exact marlin, its a very good shooter, my 10 yr old daughter loves it... rodents and varmits... not so much :p