PDA

View Full Version : 9 die in CIA facility blast in Afghanistan

VooDoo6Actual
01-02-10, 00:18
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2009/12/30/8-Americans-killed-in-Afghanistan-bombing/UPI-98121262204483/

Published: Dec. 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM

KHOST, Afghanistan, Dec. 30 (UPI) -- A suicide bomber blew himself up Wednesday in an Afghan military base used by the CIA, killing at least eight U.S. civilians, U.S. officials said.

The bomber eluded security at the facility -- used by the CIA as an operations and surveillance center -- in the eastern province of Khost before detonating his explosives in what U.S. officials described as a fitness center, The Washington Post reported.

U.S. military officials and diplomats confirmed the attack on Forward Operating Base Chapman near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border and the deaths.

"We mourn the loss of life in this attack," U.S. State Department spokesman Ian Kelly said.

At least one Afghan citizen died in the blast, sources said.

Eight people were wounded, several seriously, in the explosion, officials said. Several sources confirmed to the Post the deceased and wounded were civilians, adding that most likely were CIA employees or contractors.

"It is the nightmare we've been anticipating since we went into Afghanistan and Iraq," John McLaughlin, a former CIA official, told the Post. "Our people are often out on the front line, without adequate force protection, and they put their lives quite literally in jeopardy."

CIA's Info release:

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/press-releases-statements/cia-casualties-in-afghanistan.html

RIP Warriors Valhalla is awaiting you....

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/CIAmemorial-wall.jpg

BiggLee71
01-02-10, 21:35
Thats a damn shame. Its even disturbing that these bastards knew who and where to strike. Its even more disturbing that the bomber penetrated as far into the base as he did.

SeriousStudent
01-02-10, 22:39
I had read about that. Sadly, it is not the first time this happened. We lost a large contingent of CIA officers in Lebanon as well in the 1980's. :(

Prayers sent for the fallen officers, and their families.

snafu
01-02-10, 22:51
I had read about that. Sadly, it is not the first time this happened. We lost a large contingent of CIA officers in Lebanon as well in the 1980's. :(

Prayers sent for the fallen officers, and their families.

As well as 238 MARINES:mad:

Prayers and thought for their families.

SeriousStudent
01-02-10, 23:36
As well as 238 MARINES:mad:

Prayers and thought for their families.

Believe me that as a former Marine, I'm familiar with that event as well. There were Navy and Army personnel that were lost when the BLT got hit. Remember them in your prayers, also.

My intention was to offer condolences for the loss referenced by the OP.

Safetyhit
01-03-10, 08:14
This is an absolutely horrible story. It hurts.

variablebinary
01-03-10, 08:18
Looks like they had good Intel, so somewhere OPSEC went out the window, or the wrong people were trusted.

mattjmcd
01-03-10, 10:07
That's a lot of solid folks snuffed out at once. Bad news all around there. I read in the WSJ that the bomber blew himself up just prior to being searched.

RogerinTPA
01-03-10, 10:27
That's a lot of solid folks snuffed out at once. Bad news all around there. I read in the WSJ that the bomber blew himself up just prior to being searched.

Sad story indeed, but apparently, he wasn't searched at all or too late, to reach an area that contained the Chief of Station. He should have been searched in a security area outside the gate.

thmpr
01-03-10, 10:27
Elude security? A bad guy playing a good guy?

FDC
01-03-10, 10:44
OGA presence at that FOB has been common knowledge for a LONG(read-several years) time. The bad guys may seem simple, but not all of them are stupid.

As far as being searched or not goes. Although I am not the trusting type, some of them you have to trust in order to maintain rapport. Sometimes it bites you in the ass, usually it doesn't. Given some of the change in the force structures, I'm surprised it hasn't been happening all over the east side of the country recently.

RIP to the fallen.

snafu
01-03-10, 16:56
Believe me that as a former Marine, I'm familiar with that event as well. There were Navy and Army personnel that were lost when the BLT got hit. Remember them in your prayers, also.

I remember every day. Too many brave have fallen to the cowardly act of terrorism.
As I said my prayers and thoughts for the newest brave fallen.

http://www.1streconbnassociation.org/

chg380
01-03-10, 17:11
Never forgive, Never forget, and pray for those left behind.

variablebinary
01-04-10, 05:15
Jordanian double agent. 36 years old, and a doctor.

Was supposed to be working for "us", arranged a meeting with CIA handlers, blew himself up.

7 CIA (Zawahiri and Osama stalkers) dead

Jordanian Intelligence agent was also killed. He was related to the King, so expect some Muslim justice behind the scenes when they get their hands on someone

ThirdWatcher
01-04-10, 06:36
Jordanian Intelligence agent was also killed. He was related to the King, so expect some Muslim justice behind the scenes when they get their hands on someone

I will look forward to it... you'd have thought they learned their lesson when Zarqawi was stupid enough to mess with the King.

Belmont31R
01-04-10, 08:34
Damn we always had a 100% search rule. Didn't matter who they were with or how long they had been working for us. Pissed some people off but nothing we ever knew about got through the gate. Even searched people going out, too.

VooDoo6Actual
01-04-10, 11:35
http://www.startribune.com/nation/80549557.html

Ohio native and a former Navy Seal are among those killed in attack on CIA base in Afghanistan

By STEPHEN MAJORS , Associated Press

Last update: January 3, 2010 - 11:28 PM

CIA keeping their secrets...

We're lucky to know even this much about these guys. Robertson, Wise, and Brown Jr., thank you for your services, and my condolences to … read more your families.

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A former Navy Seal and an Ohio native whose wife is expecting the couple's first child were among seven people killed in a suicide bombing attack targeting a CIA base in southeastern Afghanistan last week.

Scott Michael Roberson, 39, was working as a security officer for the CIA when the blast on Dec. 30 rocked the remote outpost in Khost province, said his sister, Amy Messner of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

The government notified his wife Wednesday of his death, Messner said, and the CIA has allowed them to make his death public.

Before joining the CIA, Roberson had worked undercover in narcotics for the Atlanta police. He also served with United Nations security forces in Kosovo and did several tours of duty in Iraq, where he provided protection to high-risk officials.

"He always said that if something happened to him, he would have no regrets," his sister said. "He was so proud of what he was doing."

Roberson had hoped to return to the U.S. for the birth of his first child in February, his sister said.

"As hard as all of this is, at least we are able to let the world know what an amazing person Scott was," Messner said. "I can't imagine how hard it would be for those families to not be able to share that."

Roberson is survived by his wife, Molly, of Knoxville, Tenn.; his parents and sister. A memorial service is planned for Saturday in Akron, Ohio.

Jeremy Jason Wise, 35, was also killed in the attack, a memorial page on Facebook said.

Wise, a former Navy Seal, lived in Virginia Beach, Va., with his wife, Dana. He was working as security contractor after leaving the Navy in 2009. A funeral for Wise is expected to be held in the coming days.

Wise's home phone number was not listed. The family declined through an e-mail to release any photos to The Associated Press or to comment further Sunday

A third man has also been identified as one of the dead, his parents said. Harold E. Brown Jr., 37, of Virginia, served in the Army. His mother said Saturday he worked for the State Department. He is survived by a wife and three children, ages 12, 10 and 2.

The CIA is not releasing information about the victims, citing the sensitivity of their mission and other ongoing operations. The agency is trying to sort out what happened.

Many questions remain as to how the suicide bomber managed to get inside the outpost armed with explosives and why he was exposed to so many agency officers, including the chief of the CIA base who died in the attack, a woman with three children.

Six other agency personnel were wounded in what was considered the most lethal attack for the CIA since the war in Afghanistan began in 2001 and possibly even since the 1983 embassy bombing in Beirut.

The bombing occurred at a former military base on the edge of Khost city, the capital of Khost province, which borders Pakistan and is a Taliban stronghold.

The Taliban has claimed responsibility.

____

Cold Zero
01-04-10, 12:14
Hoplo. Thanks for the information and the photo. A lesson is to be learned here, do not violate S.O.P., or a heavy price may be paid.

R.I.P. Quiet Warriors.