PDA

View Full Version : Experience with a Nighthawk 1911?

dtibbals
01-02-10, 00:58
I have come across a guy with a LNIB Nighthawk GRP Recon 1911 who wants to do a trade. Anyone have any experience with Nighthawk? How does it compare to a Wilson, Ed Brown?

David

sff70
01-02-10, 01:20
What's the trade?

IMO, I'd rather have a SA Pro than a GRP or a pistol from Wilson or Brown.

Also, I don't like the rear sight on the GRP, and don't like the rollmark.

The permakote will wear, but so will all soft finishes.

Can't speak from personal experience on how NH compares with Wilson and Brown, however I can say that my NHC/VT has been flawless - carried on duty every day for several years. It has over 10,500 rounds (would be more if I could find someone to send me free ammo, but I don't have TLG's connections - grin).

13F3OL7
01-02-10, 01:28
I have a GRP that I use as my carry gun. I've also used it in the limited competition shooting I've done. It's been my experience that it is mechanically sound and, cliched as it might be, more accurate than I'm capable of. I've never hadto use their customer service, but feel that I would have no reason to worry if I should need to. I can't compare it to any of the other makers you named.

13F3OL7
01-02-10, 01:34
What's the trade?

IMO, I'd rather have a SA Pro than a GRP or a pistol from Wilson or Brown.

Also, I don't like the rear sight on the GRP, and don't like the rollmark.

The permakote will wear, but so will all soft finishes.

Can't speak from personal experience on how NH compares with Wilson and Brown, however I can say that my NHC/VT has been flawless - carried on duty every day for several years. It has over 10,500 rounds (would be more if I could find someone to send me free ammo, but I don't have TLG's connections - grin).

The rollmark and rear sight are kind of ghastly. That's why, being the genius I am, I ordered mine without the rollmark and a different rear sight.

dtibbals
01-02-10, 01:43
What's the trade?

HK45 plus some cash

WS6
01-02-10, 02:50
HK45 plus some cash

Eh, no way in hell. I would keep the reliable one. HK > 1911.

WGG
01-02-10, 08:27
I have an NHC T3 with about 5K rounds fired with 0 failures. I believe it is on par with Ed Brown and Wilson pistols. The rollmarks and options are a subjective thing but NHC will build a pistol to your specifiactions and even use parts from other makers.

If you decide to buy it consider sending it back to NHC to be refinished in Diamond Black. It's not cheap at $375 but is one of the most durable finishes I have ever seen. I have been carrying mine for a few years now and the only visible wear is on the rails.

Good luck!

ehcarl2983
01-02-10, 08:47
I have come across a guy with a LNIB Nighthawk GRP Recon 1911 who wants to do a trade. Anyone have any experience with Nighthawk? How does it compare to a Wilson, Ed Brown?

David

Don't quote me on it, but i thought the guys at NH had left wilson to start their own company, making them on par:D

Business_Casual
01-02-10, 09:15
The HK is a modern polymer, modular, high-capacity light weight pistol that is as accurate as many match pistols. The 1911 is a heavy, steel low-capacity that requires a high degree of end-user maintenance and knowledge.

Sounds like the 1911 is step backward.

M_P

sigmundsauer
01-02-10, 10:33
I think current GRP's come standard without the Novak Extreme adjustable night sights these days. I agree, that sight is to be steered away from. Otherwise pistol is sound.

I traded mine (with old Extreme adj. sight) out for a T3 and could not be happier. Perfect 1911 for my tastes. However, I would not consider trading an HK45 for a GRP for even a nanosecond. Keep the HK45. Remember, the current GRP owner is interested in your HK45 over his current Nighthawk for a reason. ;)

Tim

RogerinTPA
01-02-10, 11:01
Do yourself a favor...Keep the HK45. Probably the most bomb proof, out of the box 45 out there.

d90king
01-02-10, 11:25
I have a Nighthawk Vickers Recon that has been problem free after I had it rebuilt due to some initial build problems. I train with it and it has never let me down. It is very accurate and has been very reliable. Nighthawk CS is also excellent. From my experience all of the semi custom builds are all very comparable (and yes I own, or have owned them all)...

How do you shoot the HK?

dtibbals
01-02-10, 11:50
I shoot the HK45 just fine once I get used to it again.

Here is where I am coming from. I have a 1911 Colt Light Weight Commander which I love and has been 100% (been worked over a lot). I want to add a Gov pistol to my collection and been looking at the Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer brands. Pretty much had it narrowed down to the Wilson or Ed Brown.

I shoot Glock's in 9mm and in 45acp it has been the HK45 and 1911. I find it pretty easy to go from the Glock to the 1911 with out much adjustment. I do find it hard to go from one of those to the HK45 and shoot well. After a few mags with the HK45 I can be back in step with it and shoot it fine. If I take it to a 4 day course then the HK45 and I am in love. I do agree it is a bomb proof pistol as well as very accurate. However the trigger and its reset are not even close to the 1911 or Glock. So I have been considering selling the HK45 and keeping my guns to 1911 for 45ACP and Glock for 9mm.

I would agree with everyone on keeping the HK45 over lets say a Kimber or SA etc but the high end 1911's are very reliable and accurate weapons. I am not 100% sure I will trade off the HK45 but its worth around $1100 with the extra mags so it really makes the Government 1911 a lot cheaper out of pocket.

Keep the feedback coming. I have seen the Nighthawks but have never fired one.

David

sigmundsauer
01-02-10, 12:02
Although I really like the ergos of the HK45, I've not shot one.

I do, however, own an HK USP CT in .45 ACP with LEM trigger. It shoots just as tight as my Nighthawk and functions more smoothly. Despite its weight, longer reset, and higher bore axis, I can shoot it faster, accurately than my Nighthawk(s).

No Nighthawk at any price would make me trust a 1911 over my HK.

Tim

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-02-10, 12:08
In my experience no 1911 will come close to matching the reliability of an HK45 (especially with hollowpoints). On the flip side, the HK45 is inferior to the 1911 in shoot-ability/ergonomics.

theJanitor
01-02-10, 12:23
Don't quote me on it, but i thought the guys at NH had left wilson to start their own company, making them on par:D

making them on par? well that's why i would only buy a Wilson if it was made pre-Nighthawk. and i'd only buy a Nighthawk if it was within a year or two of their inception. after that, i wouldn't spend the money on either

nking
01-02-10, 17:12
I would trade the HK plus cash provided the deal was good.

Serpico1985
01-03-10, 20:04
There's no right answer, totally subjective. I would make sure the 1911 functions properly though. I would ask to put a couple hundred rounds through it if the guy is local. Even the high end custom 1911 makers occasionally put out lemons.

DocHolliday01
01-03-10, 20:19
No offense but I don't see anyone that is going to be willing to let someone put 200 rounds through their gun before you trade/buy it. If the Nighthawk for some reason has problems they will stand by their work.

They have a Rep (Larry Lyles) over at http://forum.m1911.org/index.php? that is more than willing to help answer any questions you may have about the gun. He has been very helpful to me.

milosz
01-03-10, 20:31
Only experience is my father's Dominator - it's an excellent pistol. Functions flawlessly with ball ammo and LSWC, good fitting everywhere (slide moves on frame easily but not loosely - unlike my Les Baer that takes a strong hand to rack) sights are fine for what they are (Bomar-style three-dot tritium, far from my favorite). Trigger is clean and crisp.

I like NH's product and hear a lot about their service being good - but I also seem to see more lemon stories about their 1911s and their service than Wilson or Brown. That could just be Internet distortion, I don't doubt. But as I'm contemplating a build, it's an issue in my mind.

BT2012
01-04-10, 17:55
NH customer service is very good but I don't how their 1911s are nowadays with Ron Phillips gone. I have a NH Vickers Tactical and the Perma Kote does not last long but other than that it runs reliably. I would not trade your HK45 for a 1911. 1911s requires more knowledge and skill to maintain as opposed to a more modern pistol such as an HK, in other words, a 1911 is high maintenance. If you decide to acquire a 1911, it is recommended you attend at least an armorers course. You are basically trading an apple for an orange. I recommend reading AAR: Vickers Tactical 1911 Operator's Course 6/6-6/7 2009 https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32267 and attend his class if you have the opportunity.