PDA

View Full Version : The French Ghetto - Future of Detroit?

Business_Casual
01-02-10, 08:17
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60010D20100101

Does anyone think it will be long until the same sort of suburban rioting becomes a fixture in Detroit? What characteristic of these suburbs did the story leave out? Perhaps the immigration and religous affiliation of the "youths" in those areas?

Is this our future too?

M_P

Safetyhit
01-02-10, 09:06
I like how the one quote from a ministry official states: ""The few disturbances that did take place were brought swiftly under control". He considers over 1,100 burned and destroyed cars a minor incident? Impossible to fathom.

Makes Saddam's ass who tried to spin the bombs landing behind him look good.

variablebinary
01-02-10, 09:10
Lots of guns in Detroit. Makes it a little harder for rampagers to rampage

Left Sig
01-02-10, 09:37
Have you been to Detroit? It's already been rotting for decades, ever since the '68 riots.

In 1994 when I had first moved there, 160+ houses were torched on Halloween. Happened every year, but usually they were abandoned houses. Not much was done about it. There are buildings downtown that have been abandoned for decades - like the high rise at the old train station that looks like a scene from some post-apocalyptic movie.

When I move there I learned about the large muslim population in east Dearborn and west Detroit. I couldn't understand why of all places in the US they chose to move to Detroit? Then I realized it must be like home - it reminded them of bombed out Beirut.

The Muslim population didn't seem to cause much trouble, though. They ran all the gas stations and convenience stores, but sometimes I sensed a seething contempt from them as I paid for my purchases.

We had a couple of issues, though:

My wife worked at the Dearborn Town Center mall and arab men with Burka wearing wives 10 paces behind used to hit on her. Telling them she was married didn't do any good, as they were clearly married too, and didn't care.

The local health club she joined was segregated (they all were) - women only days, and men only days to avoid mixing the muslims together. That's right, de facto sharia practices because businesses catered to muslim wishes and ignored non-muslims.

Bottom line, Detroit is already like the article, but not because of the muslims. It was already that way before they got there.

Submariner
01-02-10, 10:10
I like how the one quote from a ministry official states: ""The few disturbances that did take place were brought swiftly under control". He considers over 1,100 burned and destroyed cars a minor incident? Impossible to fathom.

Makes Saddam's ass who tried to spin the bombs landing behind him look good.

Typical bureaucrat who transcends all borders.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/26/bagdad_bob_large.gif

Safetyhit
01-02-10, 10:26

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/26/bagdad_bob_large.gif

That's him alright.

Strange, it's hard not to kind of like the guy for some reason. I essentially pitied him at the time if I recall correctly.

woodandsteel
01-02-10, 10:30

I always wondered what happened to Bob.

I guess he is alive and well; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Bob#Post-war_life

As far as Detroit is concerned, I don't know. I'm just glad I don't live there.

RogerinTPA
01-02-10, 11:25
When I left there in the mid 80's after growing up there, inner city, the place was turning into Beirut, with all the abandon buildings downtown and in the neighborhoods. The annual "Devil's Night", the night before Halloween, has been ongoing for decades. I'd visit once a year to visit family while on leave, and to witness the steady decline over the years. I recently visited some relatives, back in Aug, after about 10 years, and was pleasantly surprised at the urban development that has taken place in the downtown area. Most, if not all of the abandon buildings are gone, replaced buy new, or renovated, 2 stadiums have been built for the Lions and Tigers. The place looked very pleasant after attending one of the "Ethnic" Festivals (I think it was the Italian festival that weekend) on the river front and walking around the area. I still wouldn't move back there and was glad I had my pistol and several mags on me when I was there. You can still buy homes for 10 grand in under, if that's any consolation.:rolleyes:

Lumpy196
01-02-10, 11:26

Does anyone think it will be long until the same sort of suburban rioting becomes a fixture in Detroit?

No offense, but I don't get the connection between Detroit and that article at all (which really says nothing other than a lot of cars got burned in France).

Detroit has been in a steep decline for almost a half a century now. Its had major rioting several times in the last century. Burnt cars? Ever heard of Devil's Night? Its incredibly violent, socially and economically devastated, and it's been that way for a while. The only way for it become more Thunderdome is if someone decided to throw a wall up around it and abandon it to itself.

Gewehr3
01-02-10, 11:30
Detroit doesn't even have a Wal Mart within city limits!

Business_Casual
01-02-10, 11:48
No offense, but I don't get the connection between Detroit and that article at all (which really says nothing other than a lot of cars got burned in France).

The suburbs of Paris are self-contained ghettos full of unemployed North Africans (former colonies, heavily Muslim), illegally in the country yet drawing pubic benefits for a subsistence lifestyle. There are annual riots with a high level of property damage. There are sections of the public housing estates where the police don't go and the EMTs are at high risk if they enter.

The Detroit metro is a segregated urban landscape with very high unemployment and a large Muslim population. The current job and economic climate is trending toward a majority of the population being on public benefits living a subsistence lifestyle. There are annual riots, leading to a high degree of property damage. There are high crime areas where public services such as police and fire are at risk.

The two sound fairly similar to me.

M_P

RSS1911
01-02-10, 11:53
The Detroit metro is a segregated urban landscape with very high unemployment and a large Muslim population. The current job and economic climate is trending toward a majority of the population being on public benefits living a subsistence lifestyle. There are annual riots, leading to a high degree of property damage. There are high crime areas where public services such as police and fire are at risk.

Really? News of the annual riots doesn't seem to make it out here in the northwestern suburbs.

Detroit most certainly has its problems, but it's a far cry from the suburbs of Paris.

RogerinTPA
01-02-10, 11:59
Really? News of the annual riots doesn't seem to make it out here in the northwestern suburbs.

Detroit most certainly has its problems, but it's a far cry from the suburbs of Paris.

Ageed.

I haven't head of a "riot" since the 1967 riots, with simultaneous riots breaking out in most of the large cities in the country. LA and Miami have had more riots since the 60's. The predominant Muslim areas are in the suburbs. Dearborn ( probably the largest Muslim population in the USA), is a suburb of Detroit. Last time I checked, it was doing far better than Detroit , but it's still in an economically depressed region of MI. As far as car burnings in the street, not so much since I grew up in the inner city. A combination of things started "Devil's Night": Building/ businesses started to burn for insurance fraud in the 60's. Homes started burning to do the same, since then, neighbors started burning abandon homes to stop drug/crack addicts from moving in since the City, didn't have funds to do anything about it. Others, used Devil's night as an excuse to collect insurance (fraud) over the same period. The rest is left up to urban youth and traditional "fun" vandalism on Devil's night, since the 60's. It's a sad but self perpetuating saga, but to parallel it with true French ghettos, that's a stretch.

MistWolf
01-02-10, 12:17
Detroit doesn't even have a Wal Mart within city limits!See? You can always find something positive in any situation

lil'Zeus
01-02-10, 12:35
Interesting topic...could you have imagined what would have happened to that city or other major cities if the presidentical elections had gone differently? I bet many more cars and properties would have been burned all across the country...

cobra90gt
01-02-10, 12:38
No annual riots around here to speak of. :cool:

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-02-10, 12:46
Nobody ever riots in Texas.

GMZ
01-02-10, 16:07
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hhJ_49leBw&feature=player_embedded) is an interesting video of Detroit, I think a lot more cities will become like that. While maybe not as bad as the suburbs of Paris, I wonder what it will look like in 5+ years as I dont think it can get much worse.

ZDL
01-02-10, 18:37

01-02-10, 18:44
Would it be that much of a loss if the in question areas went up in a hail of self-inflicted(i.e. no LE or Firemen were harmed) and self-absorbed gunfire/fire? I'm speaking qualitatively not monetarily.

Left Sig
01-02-10, 20:27
I was just there a few months ago. Like everywhere, there are places you don't want to be. I went to those places on purpose because I wanted to see first hand "big bad Detroit". The only thing different that stood out to me was the size of the areas in question. Because of to the size, there were more people. And because of the population increase there is inherently going to be more crime. Down town Detroit looked like anywhere big city USA as far as I could tell. Dearborn was the same way. Port huron was pretty. Birmingham was awesome. I had a good time in Michigan and if the weather was a nice as it was when I was there, all the time, I would consider it a viable place to live. Screw your winters though Michigan. lol :D

I thought the same thing when I first got there in 1994. After moving away in 1996 and living in Indiana for 4 years I wasn't looking forward to moving back. I moved back in 2000 and left again in 2001 vowing never to return. While parts of it may look OK on the surface, some of it is getting better, and it's OK to visit, it is a truly unpleasant place to live. The constant racial tension, the severe segregation, the hostility, the crime, the culture of entitlement, the union culture, and yes the weather all weigh on you. My wife felt it the first time we lived there, and I felt it much worse the second time. I can't imagine trying to raise my son there.

HK51Fan
01-02-10, 22:07
I have a question and maybe somebody has an a better answer than what I've been able to come up with.

We as a country are at over 10% unemployment....that'
s by going off of the unemployment claims that are filed. The real number is actually higher around 15-18%

We have unemployment, we have welfare and yet we're letting in "refugees" and "immigrants" from other countries....look my mother is an immigrant (East German) so I think I can say without feeling bad. That we need to shut our borders down. Stop the immigration...we're full and we can't even take care of the AMERICANS that are here.

Why do we keep bringing in immigrants? Is it just for the racial equilibrium? If that's the case...then the other races need to realize we're a white country 74% wite/european population.... it will never change.....This was a country started by europeans based on a christian faith. When we set up the constitution and put freedom of religion in there it was for freedom of christian beliefs, whether you were a catholic or a protestant..not if you think a cow is a diety, or your faith states that you have to convert those around you as part of the religion and if you have to fight or kill to do so that's ok and to take it step farther if you die while trying to spread islam then youre sins are cleansed and you will have 72 virgins,,that's not what was intended by the framers of the constitution.When we stated bring us your poor downtrodden hundled masses it was for Europeans that were held in the classes they were born to or people that were discriminated due to religious belief or social class.
Now those beliefs are transcribed to every religion or race in the world and then those immigrants come, but they're not immigrants because they dont migrate here and assimilate into american society. Instead they set up there own miniature cultures...disparate pockets of individuals who have no intention of becoming an American. When my mother and Father came to the states they purposefully didn't speak anything but english when we were little....they wanted us to be AMERICANS.....I had to learn German on my own through school, relatives, and rosetta stone.

What I'm saying is we need to shut it down, not permanently. We need to get a handle on the one's here and I think make 2yrs of gov't or military service a must. I think it picks up the disenfranchised and gives em chance at something more.

I apologize for the length of this, but it seems like it's so simple and I don't see why we don't do it. I mean with the 2 trillion dollars we've spent in the past year i would think that we could have employed ALOT of people in public works and sent people to advanced schooling or trade schools. Set up some pubpic parks staff our schools better and equip them not take away art and PE....that's what the countries these immigrants come from do...we're Americans and we need to culivate the seeds of future generations, not just the rich, but everyone!!

Detroit was a hub of industry we joke around about it, but Baltimore and Philly aren't far behind...this is serious we need to make changes now...they're not going to change overnight, but if we give the people of this country a chance they can do incredible things...we need to give Americans are reason to believe again and if that means going against what the Europeans and Asians. or other countries are doing then to bad...when did we care in the past. Before WWII we were a rich society....and we were an isolationist society. We took care of own...sure we had our ups and downs but we were Americans and we pulled together. If we can't lead by example in our own country then how are we going to make changes in other societies half way around the world?

Regards,

R

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8866/africanamericanswwii259.jpg

Business_Casual
01-02-10, 22:16
I have a question...Why do we keep bringing in immigrants?

It's simple. There is one set of politicians who want legal, qualified and talented people to immigrate and one set of politicians who want as many third-worlders as possible to immigrate. The first set gets H1B Visas and invent things like the USB port. The second set get drivers licenses, motor voter and vote for Democrats.

You can guess the rest.

M_P

Mac5.56
01-02-10, 22:35

Does anyone think it will be long until the same sort of suburban rioting becomes a fixture in Detroit? What characteristic of these suburbs did the story leave out? Perhaps the immigration and religous affiliation of the "youths" in those areas?

Is this our future too?

M_P

I find it funny that someone from VA is commenting about Detroit like it's his backyard. Ever been there? Also what exactly is the immigration and religious demographic of these french ghetto's and please give me an educated statement regarding how it is different then ghettos in the United States? Seriously. Enlighten me please. Or is this just another thread that attempts to place a veil over what I have noticed is your blatant racism and xenophobia?

Mac5.56
01-02-10, 22:38

OOOhhh Snap!

Business_Casual
01-02-10, 22:55
I find it funny that someone from VA is commenting about Detroit like it's his backyard. Ever been there? Also what exactly is the immigration and religious demographic of these french ghetto's and please give me an educated statement regarding how it is different then ghettos in the United States? Seriously. Enlighten me please. Or is this just another thread that attempts to place a veil over what I have noticed is your blatant racism and xenophobia?

If you knew me, you would be hard pressed to call me xenophobic or racist. But don't let that interupt your rant. Carry on.

M_P

HK51Fan
01-02-10, 23:19
Why does he need to be labeled xenophobic? Maybe nationalist with christian values? How many mosques are showing up in poor black neighborhoods? Alot more than what are showing up places like Frisco, Plano, or Highland Park her in Dallas. It's not so much a racist or religious thing as it is a socio-economic problem that their using for their own gain in order to recruit disenfranchised youth. We need to get our education system in order.....that's the cornerstone of all great societies.........

We need bring the morning prayer and pledge of allegiance into our schools again. The funny thing is it's starting to change...this is the first year in a very long time that people wished one another Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays. People are getting tired of this PC shit and are starting to take their communities back and it's going to keep on going from there brother......If you want to come to this country then you need to go along to get along and if you don't like American beliefs and values then eat a big bowl of shut the Eff up....IMO! If you want to practice other beliefs...either social or religious then that's fine, but don't , as the minority, press your beliefs or lack of to me. There has been a lot of blood shed by Americans to EARN those rights and FREEDOMS and they're not going to be taken away be people who move here and are uncomfortable because it's not like the place they came from.......go back if you really have a problem with it or keep it to yourself and teach whatever the hell you want in your own household as long as it doesn't encroach on my beliefs or way or life.

That's not XENOPHOBIC......that's NATIONALIST!

Business_Casual
01-02-10, 23:23
Why does he need to be labeled xenophobic? Maybe nationalist with christian values? How many mosques are showing up in poor black neighborhoods? Alot more than what are showing up places like Frisco, Plano, or Highland Park her in Dallas. It's not so much a racist or religious thing as it is a socio-economic problem that their using for their own gain in order to recruit disenfranchised youth. We need to get our education system in order.....that's the cornerstone of all great societies.........

Thanks but don't worry about it - I've been called worse. Usually by old ladies in the car park at Harris Teeter...

M_P

QuietShootr
01-02-10, 23:30

Hey now. I'm the resident racist xenophobe.

And it's not racist or xenophobic to point out the truth.

Mac5.56
01-02-10, 23:31
If you knew me, you would be hard pressed to call me xenophobic or racist. But don't let that interupt your rant. Carry on.

M_P

I seriously haven't heard you make a point in any thread that discusses immigration or religion that doesn't border exactly on both of those things. You hide your views using extreme right wing ideology, and neo-christian morals, but yes, your assumptions about the world in which you live do appear to be extremely racist. Whatever small encounters you have in your life that you use to attempt to justify that this is not the case don't change the underlying implications of what you "hint" at in your posts. I also can't help but notice that you have failed to actually respond to the statements of your in-experience regarding the region you referenced but that is expected.

Also HK51 is right in that this is a socio-economic issue not a race/religion issue, I just wonder if you are capable of seeing that yourself?

Mac5.56
01-02-10, 23:32
Hey now. I'm the resident racist xenophobe.

What like the fact that the South lost the war... ;)

p.s. Your titled to your own opinion, but not your own 'facts'. Some where in the last 20 years people have seemed to forget this.

HK51Fan
01-02-10, 23:43

p.s. Your titled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Some where in the last 20 years people have seemed to forget this.

If you really think the Civil War was about race then you need to better educate yourself, Bro.
It was, like most things, socio economic. The south had a lot of the natural resources labor and all of the warm water ports.....also cotton and tabbaco which were huge exports. Also the south was friendly with the English and the French and those countries would have had a powerful allie on the front doorstep of a fledgling Union of States...The North wasn't about to let that happen. Do a little research and see how much better the blacks had it in the North post war...they were doing mostly menial jobs for low wages...never did get the 40 acres and a mule they were promised......pure propaganda to furture weaken the South's stance.

My famliy comprised of mostly German jews, so I know a little something about disparate treatment.

if you're going to knock someone and give them a hard time, then at least do it with an intelligent arguement. :rolleyes:

John_Wayne777
01-02-10, 23:53

p.s. Your titled to your own opinion, but not your own 'facts'. Some where in the last 20 years people have seemed to forget this.

I have a friendly suggestion:

Stop throwing terms like "racist" around on this site. If you can't form a cogent response without name calling then don't participate in the discussion.

Believe it or not everyone who expresses a contrary view to yours is not automatically a "racist" or "xenophobe". :rolleyes:

Jerm
01-03-10, 00:57
I was just there a few months ago. Like everywhere, there are places you don't want to be. I went to those places on purpose because I wanted to see first hand "big bad Detroit". The only thing different that stood out to me was the size of the areas in question. Because of to the size, there were more people. And because of the population increase there is inherently going to be more crime. Down town Detroit looked like anywhere big city USA as far as I could tell...

You should have hit the north side of Flint.:D

It's been about 10 years for me(north side anyway).I lived there during the Roger & Me years...

"The D" had nothing on it.I've never seen barricades made from old couches,refrigerators,etc set up as "tourist traps" in Detroit.Talk about a "wrong turn".

whitecoyote
01-03-10, 06:06
Here is a snap shot of Detroit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiV7XSdAcs8
I grew up in Detroit, and now live only several miles North of the city. It went down hill real fast after the '67 riots, and it hasn't stopped.
S&W forum has a similar on-going thread about the same thing. Check out the links. It is a tradgy in progress!
http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/115147-detroit-urban-prairie.html

Safetyhit
01-03-10, 07:45

Not only that, but thank God we have some that are willing to do it.

Gutshot John
01-03-10, 07:51
Future of Detroit? How about its past?

Where do you think "Devil's Night" got started?

I'd walk through any number of French "ghettos" before any number of neighborhoods within three miles of my house.

Safetyhit
01-03-10, 08:12
I think it's become clear that Detroit is no worse than any other major city. There is just a larger population per capita living below the poverty line.

Living just 20 minutes from the city with the worst U.S. crime rate many years running now (Camden, NJ), I can tell you of a great many buildings empty and crumbling before your eyes. Years ago, these buildings housed the national headquarters for RCA Recording, Campbell's Soup, Sears and Roebuck, as well as countless other very well known companies.

Now, large areas are like something out of a bad movie and are EXTREMELY dangerous to even drive through. And we have our "Devil's night" here, too.

Don't see any racism on the OP's part, likely just a little over-thinking.

Left Sig
01-03-10, 09:26
Why do we keep bringing in immigrants? Is it just for the racial equilibrium? If that's the case...then the other races need to realize we're a white country 74% wite/european population.... it will never change.....This was a country started by europeans based on a christian faith. When we set up the constitution and put freedom of religion in there it was for freedom of christian beliefs, whether you were a catholic or a protestant..not if you think a cow is a diety, or your faith states that you have to convert those around you as part of the religion and if you have to fight or kill to do so that's ok and to take it step farther if you die while trying to spread islam then youre sins are cleansed and you will have 72 virgins,,that's not what was intended by the framers of the constitution.When we stated bring us your poor downtrodden hundled masses it was for Europeans that were held in the classes they were born to or people that were discriminated due to religious belief or social class.

No matter how many times the christian right says things like this, it doesn't make it true.

While the country was settled by christians, The Founding Fathers based the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights on deist principles. They believed in god, but many were suspect or even critical of christianity. They wanted freedom of religion, and in some cases freedom from religion. Thomas Jefferson coined the "wall of separation" and was very critical of the "cult of jesus" (in his words). John Adams was pro-christian.

If they meant "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of christian denomination, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" they would not have said "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". The plain meaning of religion is just that - any religion.

Please learn about how the immigration system actually works. Starting in 1924 it was has heavily biased towards white northern Europeans and against others in terms of the quotas allowed each year from each country (limited to 2% of the current US population), and specifically barred Asians. In 1965 another act limited legal immigration to 300,000 per year with 170,000 from the eastern hemisphere, with no more than 20,000 from any country. By 1968 a limit of 120,000 was placed on the western hemisphere. The quotas are somewhat arbitrary and have very little to do with the size of the country, or how close they are to the USA, or the demand for immigration.

If we just let everyone in there would be a LOT more people here from India and east/southeast Asia. At the last census they were less than 5% of the population. Muslim immigrants are currently approximately 5 million or so, with another 2 million native born converts (mostly black). That's just a couple percent.

The real demographic change that is occurring is the influx of hispanics. Yes, a lot of this is illegal immigration and the government needs to do something about that. Though legal immigration quotas are inordinately low for countries like Mexico, those that do come here legally use marriage and family immigration laws to bring their relatives into the country legally. Also, the children of illegals if born here are legal citizens. But hispanics are almost universally christian, and until very recently were classified as "white" people because they are not black, native american or eskimo, asian, or pacific islander. Even most middle easterners are classified as "white" because they are none of the above either.

My boss is from Egypt. He looks like a middle easterner, but he is orthodox christian. Is he white enough for you?

Mjolnir
01-03-10, 14:46
Have you been to Detroit? It's already been rotting for decades, ever since the '68 riots.

In 1994 when I had first moved there, 160+ houses were torched on Halloween. Happened every year, but usually they were abandoned houses. Not much was done about it. There are buildings downtown that have been abandoned for decades - like the high rise at the old train station that looks like a scene from some post-apocalyptic movie.

When I move there I learned about the large muslim population in east Dearborn and west Detroit. I couldn't understand why of all places in the US they chose to move to Detroit? Then I realized it must be like home - it reminded them of bombed out Beirut.

The Muslim population didn't seem to cause much trouble, though. They ran all the gas stations and convenience stores, but sometimes I sensed a seething contempt from them as I paid for my purchases.

We had a couple of issues, though:

My wife worked at the Dearborn Town Center mall and arab men with Burka wearing wives 10 paces behind used to hit on her. Telling them she was married didn't do any good, as they were clearly married too, and didn't care.

The local health club she joined was segregated (they all were) - women only days, and men only days to avoid mixing the muslims together. That's right, de facto sharia practices because businesses catered to muslim wishes and ignored non-muslims.

Bottom line, Detroit is already like the article, but not because of the muslims. It was already that way before they got there.
I was there from 1993 through 2008 and while there are large enclaves of both Arabs and Jews (as well as Iraqi Christians called Chaldeans) I don't see rioting like one sees in France. Dearborn translated means "place of the Arabs" (kidding) but few other ethnicities live in East Dearborn. They aren't always friendly but I've always made a habit of addressing persons in their own language so that has made my way easy 99% of the time. In East Dearborn the population was at least 95% Lebanese Muslim so their ways and customs will no doubt heavily influence the area. I wish people would assimilate more but then our own nation has had it's assimilation issues, too.

Despite all of that it's time to move forward: do you value America (Western Christ-centered nation of many peoples) or your Religious DOGMA. Mankind has always cherished his dogma, I'm afraid...

Still miss being there though... the Northern Suburbs (Oakland County) is very nice. Same with Ann Arbor.

Lumpy196
01-03-10, 17:51
The two sound fairly similar to me.

M_P

Well they aren't, in numerous ways. Give me a couple days to write you the term paper, but for now suffice it to say, one is in France and one is in Michigan. If you don't see the difference, my term paper post will end up a lot longer and go back a couple hundred more years.

Irish
01-03-10, 19:51
What a shame. Ignorant people wantonly destroying other people's property just to be assholes. The government should sell hunting licenses and reimburse the people's losses with the profits made off of hunting these animals.

Irish
01-03-10, 20:33
Interesting pictures of Detroit's "feral houses": http://www.psfk.com/2009/08/return-to-nature-detroits-feral-houses.html

Better http://www.sweet-juniper.com/2009/07/feral-houses.html

Some great photos here: http://www.jamesgriffioen.net/

Business_Casual
01-03-10, 21:06
Well they aren't, in numerous ways. Give me a couple days to write you the term paper, but for now suffice it to say, one is in France and one is in Michigan. If you don't see the difference, my term paper post will end up a lot longer and go back a couple hundred more years.

Yes I do see the difference between Michigan and France. France is much nicer... (I went to OSU) :cool:

M_P

whitecoyote
01-16-10, 05:24
If you think the pictures coming out of Haiti are bad, check this link out.
Scroll down, on right, under "categories", and check out some of those links!
http://www.detroitempire.com/
Check out the "scrapper napper".
http://www.detroitfunk.com/?cat=114

cobra90gt
01-16-10, 08:00
^

Some of that guy's photography highlights some of the old architecture/historical buildings around the Motor City.

thopkins22
01-16-10, 11:45
Like Paris, Detroit has a nice airport...though to my knowledge it hasn't collapsed yet.

HK45
07-22-10, 10:58
There are major differences between Arab-Americans in the US and those in France. I've been in these areas in France btw.
Arab-Americans have successfully assimilated in the US. They haven't in France. Plus its a different population in France with a very different experience with french colonialism that is still ongoing. Arab-American/Muslim does not automatically equals terrorists.
I have issues with people who assume muslim = terrorist probably because I find most religions to be corrosive and because I know many muslims from my time in arab countries.

Is this our future too?

M_P

variablebinary
07-22-10, 11:09
If you really think the Civil War was about race then you need to better educate yourself, Bro.
It was, like most things, socio economic. The south had a lot of the natural resources labor and all of the warm water ports.....also cotton and tabbaco which were huge exports. Also the south was friendly with the English and the French and those countries would have had a powerful allie on the front doorstep of a fledgling Union of States...The North wasn't about to let that happen. Do a little research and see how much better the blacks had it in the North post war...they were doing mostly menial jobs for low wages...never did get the 40 acres and a mule they were promised......pure propaganda to furture weaken the South's stance.

My famliy comprised of mostly German jews, so I know a little something about disparate treatment.

if you're going to knock someone and give them a hard time, then at least do it with an intelligent arguement. :rolleyes:

Revisionist history. Take time to read Declaration of Causes of Seceding States.

Between Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas slavery is mentioned 82 times in the declarations, making it the most prevalent issue specifically mentioned

GermanSynergy
07-22-10, 15:27

Is this our future too?

M_P

The issue in France is the combination of a class of immigrants that are crammed into urban ghettos, living off the dole and having zero respect for authority. Additionally, they generally do not wish to assimilate & become part of French society. Add radicalization into the mix and you have a recipe for disaster.

My GF's sister in law is of French Moroccan descent, and she was telling us over July 4th weekend all about what is going on in France these days. According to her, the problem is much worse than is being reported. It was shocking.

Rider79
10-26-10, 22:43
Just watched RoboCop on cable. Amazing how little Detroit seems to have changed since that movie came out in 1987.

Yep, that's right. I'm all about necroposting today.

Von Rheydt
10-27-10, 07:32
The issue in France is the combination of a class of immigrants that are crammed into urban ghettos, living off the dole and having zero respect for authority. Additionally, they generally do not wish to assimilate & become part of French society. Add radicalization into the mix and you have a recipe for disaster.

Its the same in the UK. I could tell you stories, from police experience, but they seem so far fetched you would not believe them.

My GF's sister in law is of French Moroccan descent, and she was telling us over July 4th weekend all about what is going on in France these days. According to her, the problem is much worse than is being reported. It was shocking.

Much, much, worse than reported. I know some French guys, military and Gendarmarie (Federal Police recruited from the military) they are based in Paris. When it blows out in Paris it is like parts of Sarajevo, there are guns and molotovs, police and arabs die. In the typical French manner though, what happens in France, stays in France.

Moose-Knuckle
10-27-10, 17:11
Just watched RoboCop on cable. Amazing how little Detroit seems to have changed since that movie came out in 1987.

The majority of the film was shot here in Dallas, Texas and the mill scenes were shot in Monessen, Pennsylvania.

Rider79
10-27-10, 17:16
The majority of the film was shot here in Dallas, Texas and the mill scenes were shot in Monessen, Pennsylvania.

Ok, how little the portrayal of Detroit has changed. :sarcastic:

Being from that area of PA, I'll bet that steel mill is still there and still looks that way.

GermanSynergy
10-28-10, 09:44
Do tell!

Its the same in the UK. I could tell you stories, from police experience, but they seem so far fetched you would not believe them.

Much, much, worse than reported. I know some French guys, military and Gendarmarie (Federal Police recruited from the military) they are based in Paris. When it blows out in Paris it is like parts of Sarajevo, there are guns and molotovs, police and arabs die. In the typical French manner though, what happens in France, stays in France.