PDA

View Full Version : M&P 22 Pistol

FVC3
01-02-10, 08:28
I haven't seen any traffic about this here, but I doubt that I'm the first M4C member to know that Smith will be introducing a 22 lr M&P pistol. I have it on good, first-hand authority (no net shenanigans) that the new gun will be available in "1st Q 2010" and will almost certainly be intro'd at SHOT.

I am as enthusiastic about this as I can remember being about any new product. Sure hope they do as good a job as they did on the M&P 15 22. Any other inside info?

Alpha Sierra
01-02-10, 08:29
I hope that intro includes a slide kit for the centerfire pistols.

Buckaroo
01-02-10, 08:54
I will believe it when I see it and then buy the first one I find.

Buckaroo

znztivguy
01-02-10, 10:10
going to be lots of stuff...hope to see this there as well

RadioActivity
01-02-10, 11:13
PLEASE don't be like the Sig mosquito or Colt .22 AR. Please dont be cheap and function horrible. Puh-lease dont screw this very simple concept up...

NCPatrolAR
01-02-10, 11:26
I'd prefer a conversion kit instead of an entire new gun

Gewehr3
01-02-10, 11:35
A .22 conversion kit would be great.

John_Wayne777
01-02-10, 12:53
I haven't seen any traffic about this here, but I doubt that I'm the first M4C member to know that Smith will be introducing a 22 lr M&P pistol.

Many of us have wished that S&W...or somebody...would introduce a decent conversion kit so we could practice more with our M&Ps...but this is the first I've heard of a dedicated .22 LR pistol. If it's the same dimensions and basic system as the standard M&P's, that would be fine.

If they want to make some 3/4 scale thing that doesn't work like the regular M&P it's a fruity concept.

FVC3
01-02-10, 14:34
Many of us have wished that S&W...or somebody...would introduce a decent conversion kit so we could practice more with our M&Ps...but this is the first I've heard of a dedicated .22 LR pistol. If it's the same dimensions and basic system as the standard M&P's, that would be fine.

If they want to make some 3/4 scale thing that doesn't work like the regular M&P it's a fruity concept.

I could not get details - my source would not elaborate. I didn't know until recently that I knew someone in a position to know things. I will not burn this person, so this info is on a take it or leave it basis. But the exact quote was " They (an M&P 22 pistol) should hit the market around the 1st Quarter of 2010". This person is in a position to know, had nothing to gain by shining me on, and has been nothing but professional since we re-connected after many years out of touch.

wes007
01-02-10, 14:40
First the ar now the m&p.

I couldnt be any happier with S&W right now. Its going to be great to be able to train with both systems without breaking the bank.

Any word on the price range?

MichaelD
01-02-10, 15:23
If this pans out, I'll be ordering one immediately after the announcement.

C4IGrant
01-02-10, 15:46
I'd prefer a conversion kit instead of an entire new gun

Would like to see both actually.

S&W will most likely introduce a complete weapon first and then offer slides.

I have some e-mails into my contacts at S&W and will see if I can get any info.

C4

C4IGrant
01-02-10, 16:03
Ok, just got off the phone.

S&W IS making this pistol. :D

C4

Buckaroo
01-02-10, 16:14

C4

Any details? Inquiring minds want to know! :cool:

C4IGrant
01-02-10, 16:16
Any details? Inquiring minds want to know! :cool:

Nothing yet other than confirmation. Will try and get more info on Monday.

My guess is that the frame will be narrower than a standard M&P (because of a single stack mag). I could be flat out wrong though.

C4

LonghunterCO
01-02-10, 16:52
Would love a slide/mag combo that would allow me to use my regular holsters...failing that a small frame set up that can be threaded would work too.

MichaelD
01-02-10, 17:42
Grant, I want to be on the list for one of these.

SeriousStudent
01-02-10, 21:32

C4

Excellent, thank you for the confirmation.

wantsum
01-02-10, 21:43
I'd be all over a conversion kit, but if they only introduce a complete pistol it wouldn't keep me from picking one up.

FVC3
01-06-10, 18:46
Update: The pistol will be "dimensionally similar" enough to a full size M&P 40 to fit "most" holsters.

I've been told that is all the info I'll get. Maybe one of you guys can do better.

NCPatrolAR
01-06-10, 22:23

C4

Ohhhhhh, think I might know what my next pistol purchase is going to be.

The_Biased_Observer
01-06-10, 23:34
Please, please, please don't have a POS zinc slide....

milosz
01-07-10, 01:15
Not 100% encouraged by "dimensionally similar," but if it's close I'm good.

Found an Advantage Arms LE 17 kit for my Glock that arrived today, put 100 rounds through it. Would love to have something equal to it for my M&P, even if it only comes in entire-pistol form.

John_Wayne777
01-07-10, 07:25
If it really is very similar to the M&P I'll buy one. I guess I'll have to let Grant tor Todd ake a look at it at SHOT, send me some pics and give me their impressions.

Boss Hogg
01-07-10, 08:45
A slide conversion would be a more serious training tool. A 22LR pistol would be more of a plinker.

Advantage Arms' Glock kits are scarce as hen's teeth, so if S&W can offer a widely available 22LR conversion kit, think of all the existing M&P 9/40 users they could reach.

Advantage Arms is also limited by their 10-round capacity, thanks to being in California. S&W wouldn't have these limitations.

ToddG
01-07-10, 09:25
A .22 conversion top end for a 9mm/40/45 pistol is a much greater engineering challenge than a gun that was built as a .22 from the ground up. Smith is also looking at the success it's had with the M&P15-22 and figuring the pistol equivalent will sell just as well.

John_Wayne777
01-07-10, 09:32
...if, like the rifle version, it gives me the ability to put the same sights on it and has a reasonably similar trigger, that's a good bet on their part.

rob_s
01-07-10, 09:47
This is one of the things that kept me from going with the M&P when I went back to plastic guns. If there was a .22 M&P that may have influenced my decision.

However, if it is not dimensionally identical and does not work in ALL holsters designed for the fullsize gun, it wouldn't have impacted my decision in the slightest and I would have still gone with the Glock.

DrMark
01-07-10, 11:57
I'd rate a conversion kit higher than a dedicated pistol on my want list.

That said, a dedicated pistol (sufficiently similar to the centerfire version) would be nice.

C4IGrant
01-08-10, 09:02
A .22 conversion top end for a 9mm/40/45 pistol is a much greater engineering challenge than a gun that was built as a .22 from the ground up. Smith is also looking at the success it's had with the M&P15-22 and figuring the pistol equivalent will sell just as well.

Agree.

I spoke to S&W about this pistol the other day. It is really still in the "infancy" stages and could go a couple different ways.

We MIGHT see something at shot or we might not.

C4

C4IGrant
01-08-10, 09:05
This is one of the things that kept me from going with the M&P when I went back to plastic guns. If there was a .22 M&P that may have influenced my decision.

However, if it is not dimensionally identical and does not work in ALL holsters designed for the fullsize gun, it wouldn't have impacted my decision in the slightest and I would have still gone with the Glock.

Agree. I have expressed my thoughts on the subject and told them that a conversion is the way to go so that guys can use all their same gear with it.

S&W is in the business of making guns so making a conversion might not interest them.

C4

rob_s
01-08-10, 09:09
I don't mind if they do a complete pistol, and would prefer it if in the market in many ways, but it needs to EXACTLY match the dimensions of the real gun, down to the magazines.

Their .22 AR is a great example. It's 99% there, but by continuing the rib under the receiver extension and making the RE one piece with the lower they made it impossible to use the TD PR-4, or any receiver endplate replacement sling attachment. That's the kind of bad decision that I'd like to see them avoid on the pistol side.

glockeyed
01-08-10, 09:15
it better not be a "rebadged" P22 or even P22 size.

90%-100% size of an M&P and it might the icing to sway me to the m&p line.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-08-10, 10:07
I don't mind if they do a complete pistol, and would prefer it if in the market in many ways, but it needs to EXACTLY match the dimensions of the real gun, down to the magazines.

I have a 22/45 for practicing my 1911, but those funky Ruger mags just don't handle like a 1911 mag. Really a lost opportunity for practing and grooving that mag loading skill.

Alpha Sierra
01-08-10, 17:18
Advantage Arms is also limited by their 10-round capacity, thanks to being in California. S&W wouldn't have these limitations.
If you are saying that AA cannot produce magazines with greater than a 10 round capacity for sale elsewhere because they are based in California, then you will be disappointed in S&W as well since Massachusetts has the same onerous magazine capacity laws as CA.

I think your conclusion about the reason for a lack of AA mags with more than 10 rounds is not correct.

GLOCKMASTER
01-08-10, 17:46
If you are saying that AA cannot produce magazines with greater than a 10 round capacity for sale elsewhere because they are based in California, then you will be disappointed in S&W as well since Massachusetts has the same onerous magazine capacity laws as CA.

I think your conclusion about the reason for a lack of AA mags with more than 10 rounds is not correct.

Straight from Advantage Arms website:

Are you going to offer High Cap Magazines?

NO. High cap magazines are illegal to manufacture or sell in California, which is where our factory is located.

I have high hopes for the M&P .22 pistol as I really like the M&P 15-22 rifle. I finally found a AA conversion kit for my G19 and so far I have found it to be a great training tool espcially when used in conjuction with the .22 rifle. The M&P pistol would be just icing on the cake.

DrMark
01-08-10, 17:50
From the Advantage Arms site:

Frequently Asked Questions for Glock Kits

Are you going to offer High Cap Magazines?

NO. High cap magazines are illegal to manufacture or sell in California, which is where our factory is located.

John_Wayne777
01-08-10, 19:06
IIRC making a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds of .22LR in a handgun is difficult from a reliability standpoint. Most .22 semi-autos hold in the neighborhood of 10 rounds because double stacking them is an invite to pain and woe.

RogerinTPA
01-08-10, 20:12
Anyone find any pics of this pistol?

GLOCKMASTER
01-08-10, 20:34
Anyone find any pics of this pistol?

I doubt very seriously you will find any. If they have one at SHOT between SMGLee and myself I'm sure we will get some taken.

maximus83
01-09-10, 02:33
If S&W delivers the pistol, and if Tactical Solutions actually delivers a conversion this year too, given the reputation of TacSol for usually doing quality work, I'll go with the conversion. However, if TacSol delays in their conversions delivery, and if the S&W pistol ships and looks solid, I'll get one.

skyugo
01-09-10, 15:14
any word on pricing? i'd be interested if it was ~300 dollars... would blow the p22 out of the water.

Rotor Talker
01-09-10, 15:22
About a threaded 1/2 X 28 version.

Allow for use with the Outback 2.

Thanks

Bob

C4IGrant
01-09-10, 15:23
About a threaded 1/2 X 28 version.

Allow for use with the Outback 2.

Thanks

Bob

They are aware of the importance of doing a threaded barrel option.

C4

C4IGrant
01-09-10, 15:24
any word on pricing? i'd be interested if it was ~300 dollars... would blow the p22 out of the water.

No idea and we might not even get pricing at shot.

C4

orionz06
01-11-10, 11:41
IIRC making a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds of .22LR in a handgun is difficult from a reliability standpoint. Most .22 semi-autos hold in the neighborhood of 10 rounds because double stacking them is an invite to pain and woe.

That has also been what I had heard. The curve of the AR conversion magazines enables a greater capacity, but I cant imagine how a curve could be implemented in a pistol while keeping the manufacturing process as simple as it is.

I cant wait to see where this goes, as I was looking into a full size pistol, and this would definitely sway may towards S&W.

scottryan
01-11-10, 13:17

C4

Are they going to screw it up like they did on the M&P Spec Ops?

C4IGrant
01-11-10, 13:52
Are they going to screw it up like they did on the M&P Spec Ops?

No idea. I would assume no, but then again, I didn't know that the "spec ops" was screwed up (never saw one as it is NOT an LE gun).

C4

scottryan
01-11-10, 21:11
No idea. I would assume no, but then again, I didn't know that the "spec ops" was screwed up (never saw one as it is NOT an LE gun).

C4

The MP Spec Ops has its shoulder .020" too far forward and will not allow the proper installation of most silencers.

SW couldn't just get on the same industry 9mm standard that HK, SIG, Steyr, Glock, and Walther are on.

The buyer of a SW MP Spec Ops needs to have the shoulder turned back on a lathe if they want to use a silencer.

FlyAndFight
01-12-10, 11:25

C4

That is good to know.

FVC3
01-20-10, 06:04
Here's hoping those who made it to SHOT can give us the straight story on this.

DMR
01-20-10, 06:37
I cruised the S&W booth yeasterday and did not see one.

LonghunterCO
01-20-10, 08:17
The MP Spec Ops has its shoulder .020" too far forward and will not allow the proper installation of most silencers.

SW couldn't just get on the same industry 9mm standard that HK, SIG, Steyr, Glock, and Walther are on.

The buyer of a SW MP Spec Ops needs to have the shoulder turned back on a lathe if they want to use a silencer.

I saw a post on a SWR industry forum (posted by SWR) that they made some adjustment to their Trident 9's threads that allow for the Spec Ops barrel to fit without issue.

C4IGrant
01-20-10, 10:19
I cruised the S&W booth yeasterday and did not see one.

Correct. They didn't make it to Shot.

C4

M&P45
01-20-10, 14:48

For what it's worth Kel-Tec just announced a 30 round .22magnum pistol.

Back to the conversion debate. I will not buy a dedicated .22 M&P pistol. I would buy a conversion for my PRO for cheap practice. I had my trigger tweaked by Dan Burwell and don't want to have to do that for the .22 as well. Practicing with two distinctly different triggers wouldn't fit my needs as a competitive shooter. I'll hold out for the Tactical Solutions conversion.

maximus83
01-21-10, 11:12
For what it's worth Kel-Tec just announced a 30 round .22magnum pistol.

Back to the conversion debate. I will not buy a dedicated .22 M&P pistol. I would buy a conversion for my PRO for cheap practice. I had my trigger tweaked by Dan Burwell and don't want to have to do that for the .22 as well. Practicing with two distinctly different triggers wouldn't fit my needs as a competitive shooter. I'll hold out for the Tactical Solutions conversion.

Ditto. It's just me I guess, but I have no more interest in another dedicated .22 "look alike", which will likely have a totally different trigger and internals. Same thing on the AR platform. I understand S&W's business position which is that apparently, it's expensive and technically complex to implement "conversion" uppers and the like, but I think that a conversion unit is really what I want, both on my AR's, and on my M&P's.

JohnnyMcEldoo
05-03-10, 15:21
Is there any more information out there regarding an M&P .22lr pistol?

LandCruiser
05-10-10, 14:11
I would like to know as well....we are now past the first quarter of the year...

LandCruiser
09-29-10, 04:36
Any word on this?

JHC
09-29-10, 06:55
I think signals got crossed about an M&P pistol.

It's been out for a good while now. :D

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766315_-1_757996_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

skyugo
09-29-10, 13:49

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766315_-1_757996_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

ah crap, so no 22 pistol based on the M&P handgun then? bummer.

JHC
09-29-10, 16:47

Oh hell man, I don't know. I was half tongue in cheek and half serious. Maybe 60/40.

LHS
09-30-10, 00:50

Kind of off-topic, but will the upper for this interchange with the normal M&P-15/22 lower? If so, I can see another Form 1 in my future...

LandCruiser
10-04-10, 13:55

Oh hell man, I don't know. I was half tongue in cheek and half serious. Maybe 60/40.

I am definitely only interested in the M&P .22 handgun that mirrors the rest of the full size handgun lineup. Is there any word on that? It was rumored to come out in the summer of 2010 and it is officially now fall....

shadowrider
12-20-10, 09:18
Here ya go guys.

Now lets see if it really happens...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/12/20/sw-mp22-22-pistol/

LonghunterCO
12-20-10, 10:32
Here ya go guys.

Now lets see if it really happens...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/12/20/sw-mp22-22-pistol/

Outstanding! Very cool! Hope that we can get one threaded too!

12-23-10, 11:19
Any word on whether this will have interchangeable backstraps?

longball
12-24-10, 00:05
This is the first I have heard of this. I'm game. Any new ideas on a release?

virtualpm
12-30-10, 09:25
Saw this the other day over on the MP-Pistol forum.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/72002

Rumor is it should be on dealer shelves around April 2011.

Scott

scottryan
12-30-10, 09:41
Well an MSRP of $419 doesn't sound very promising and seems to put it in with other trash products like the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito.

I wonder if SW will **** up the threading for the 3rd time, since they couldn't get their other previous two threaded barrel pistols correct.

longball
12-30-10, 09:58
I have high hopes that S&W will put out a better product than Sig and Walther did. If they do, I'll pick up the first one I can get my hands on, if not I'll leave it alone and keep practicing malfunction drills with my Misquito. To date, that is about the only thing I've found it is good for. Any idea on how close the dimensions will be to the rest of the M&P line?

virtualpm
12-30-10, 10:09
I have high hopes that S&W will put out a better product than Sig and Walther did. If they do, I'll pick up the first one I can get my hands on, if not I'll leave it alone and keep practicing malfunction drills with my Misquito. To date, that is about the only thing I've found it is good for. Any idea on how close the dimensions will be to the rest of the M&P line?

Looks like it's pretty darn close to the FS in size. According to posts at MP-Pistol, it will be formally announced at SHOT in a couple of weeks. Rumor has it, they will also be announcing a single-stack M&P. I was hoping for a mid-size double-stack, ala Glock 19/23, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen (though I imagine the single-stack will likely be "mid-size"). Can't wait for SHOT.

Scott

Trumpet
01-02-11, 13:48
Aluminum slide. I hope TS makes one with a steel slide.

TheSmiter1
01-02-11, 14:12
Aluminum slide. I hope TS makes one with a steel slide.

Aluminum is considered sufficient for a .22 most of the time. The Advantage Arms conversions are aluminum, and while mine is finicky, it certainly is durable enough.

LonghunterCO
01-02-11, 17:44
Wonder if Grant has the 411 on this pistol?

MichaelD
01-02-11, 22:24
Wonder if Grant has the 411 on this pistol?

Actually, there's a lot more info about the M&P22 in this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=69145

LonghunterCO
01-03-11, 08:34
Actually, there's a lot more info about the M&P22 in this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=69145

Thanks man- I subcribe to this thread and did not realize that there was yet another.

hals1
01-26-11, 18:27

What he said.

hals1
01-26-11, 18:40
From S&W web site.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785503_-1_757781_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

LonghunterCO
01-26-11, 19:40
From S&W web site.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785503_-1_757781_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Excited to see it in their site, but was really hoping that the thread barrel was going to be available right out of the shoot!

ElrodCod
01-27-11, 00:48
From S&W web site.

It's interesting that they're saying it's single action instead of DAO.

znztivguy
05-23-11, 18:00
Is it out yet? Is there anyone out there that has a lead for me.
THanks

sro579
05-27-11, 21:02
I'm crossing my fingers this turns out to be a good one. It will keep me from buying another advantage arms kit.