PDA

View Full Version : NFA Rules for SBRs Make No Sense

DWood
01-02-10, 19:10
The fact that I can buy an MSAR STG-556 E-4 just like any other gun, but have to go through the SBR process the BATFE mandates for a short barreled rifle like my LMT 10 1/2" SBR makes no sense. The MSAR is tha same length as my SBR overall, but requires no additional approval than a regular FFL transfer. Crazy.

Here is my MSAR with the SBR and a remy 870.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/DSC_1211.jpg

kmrtnsn
01-02-10, 19:16
Your MSAR has a 16" barrel. The bullpup design makes better use of packaging, putting a rifle barrel in an SMG sized package.

spamsammich
01-02-10, 19:16
Consider yourself lucky to live in a free state.

LOKNLOD
01-02-10, 19:53
Shhh. unfortunately the only action that might ever result from that argument is to add bullpups to the NFA :rolleyes:

subzero
01-02-10, 20:17
The MSAR is tha same length as my SBR overall, but requires no additional approval than a regular FFL transfer. Crazy.

But if it were a half inch shorter, it would.

dbrowne1
01-03-10, 20:10
I'd be willing to bet that the overall length on that bullpup is pretty close to putting it into the NFA realm, even if it has a 16" barrel. Remember that it's not just barrel length - it's also any rifle with an overall length under 26", regardless of bbl length.

Alex F
01-03-10, 21:05
That's why I love bullpups. 20" barrel for performance in an overall short package.

DWood
01-04-10, 09:47
But if it were a half inch shorter, it would.

I'd be willing to bet that the overall length on that bullpup is pretty close to putting it into the NFA realm, even if it has a 16" barrel. Remember that it's not just barrel length - it's also any rifle with an overall length under 26", regardless of bbl length.

But............ it is legal based both on overall length as well as barrel length, yet it is as short as my SBR AR-15. That was my original point.

Shhh. unfortunately the only action that might ever result from that argument is to add bullpups to the NFA :rolleyes:

You may be right...... Shhhhhh